Alshon not expected back.

scs787

I'm not sure how much a WR who often misses practice and games would help a rookie QB. There are options in FA to add some depth to the WR corps. Cleveland won't be tagging Pryor but you have to figure they will match any offer he gets.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000078...-alshon-jeffery

They have 100 mil on the books, no way they let him get away.

The truth is we have to resign Jeffery. Losing a good player, even though by his last two years he is not worth it ,has to be paid.

I think he gets 5 year 65 mil contract with 28 guaranteed.

Two things that are encouraging, he stayed in Chicago this off season and since they made him a captain last year, he seems to be more interested in being a Bear.

I'm not sure how much a WR who often misses practice and games would help a rookie QB. There are options in FA to add some depth to the WR corps. Cleveland won't be tagging Pryor but you have to figure they will match any offer he gets.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000078...-alshon-jeffery

I think this was a really bad move. Look, I understand not wanting to pay him, but if we reached that conclusion, we should have moved him so we could have at least maximized the value of an asset vs. letting them walk. We have massive cap space and certainly can't / shouldn't blow it all in one off-season, so worse case you franchise him this year, work to trade him during the off-season and in a worse case scenario where you can't trade him, you have enough room that his cap hit for this season won't hinder you from getting better, and you can look to move him in-season or let him walk at that point.

Maybe they know they are getting Jimmy G and nab the WR from Clemson...Williams at #3... And sign a Stills...

Who knows...

I think this was a really bad move. Look, I understand not wanting to pay him, but if we reached that conclusion, we should have moved him so we could have at least maximized the value of an asset vs. letting them walk. We have massive cap space and certainly can't / shouldn't blow it all in one off-season, so worse case you franchise him this year, work to trade him during the off-season and in a worse case scenario where you can't trade him, you have enough room that his cap hit for this season won't hinder you from getting better, and you can look to move him in-season or let him walk at that point.

I say let the oft injured, cheater go and I once declared myself the president of his fan club when he was in college! Jeff Dickerson of AM1000 is saying that the Bears are not going to tag him which puts them in a position to outbid someone for their own player's services. That's not going to happen. He played 12 games and caught 2 TDs last year. Is that worth 17 plus million?

I say let the oft injured, cheater go and I once declared myself the president of his fan club when he was in college! Jeff Dickerson of AM1000 is saying that the Bears are not going to tag him which puts them in a position to outbid someone for their own player's services. That's not going to happen. He played 12 games and caught 2 TDs last year. Is that worth 17 plus million?

He is not worth it but if we get a QB prospect you have to give him something to work with.

It could be that they value him, but know that the only real way they could potentially sign him to a deal that makes sense is by granting his wish to see what his market and give the Bears that final chance to accept an offer. Players always hate getting franchised so maybe this helps. I tend to agree that it is unlikely that we will sign him (if we couldn't work out a deal with him before...I doubt we do it now). That said, I'd have liked to have quite a few solid weapons to surround our new QB with.

Glad you said it Lemon. I think we've wasted enough time, $ and energy on him. There are other fish in the pond that are more resilient and don't get caught for drug enhancement. Get them and let another team learn the hard way about the "great" Alshon.

AJ has had trouble staying healthy & available on game day.

When you are going to pay a player the type of money he will be seeking

you want to have reasonable expectations that he will be available to play.

After having injury issues for a couple of years the Bears were a bit nervous

last year to obligate themselves to a long term big $$$ contract.

So they played it smart and tagged him, basically saying to him, prove to us

you can stay healthy and earn the big investment in your future.

Although he was being reported during the season nursing minor injuries, he remained active.

However, in a year that he knew he would have to prove he could remain healthy and reliable he is caught using PEDs.

So do you think he was using these PEDs in an attempt to stay active weekly?

Why else risk taking them during such an important year for his future contract status?

I cannot blame the Bears if they decide to move on without AJ.

Did not know that it's a net of gain vs loss...just thought loss. Thanks.

It is unfortunate, but that is how it works. It will be a couple more years until the Bears are back to that point where they have the roster to let a FA walk and have a backup waiting in the wings to step in. Unless they clean house again firing the GM/Coach and have to start over again.

Antonio Brown just signed a 4yr/64 mil extension. At 17 mil a year, that totally blows franchising Alshon, as we would be the laughing stock of the league to give a penny more. Brown is also much more productive and reliable. The 13 mil/yr previously mentioned, sounds about right. Knowing what the staff knows can only drive it down.

I do not like this at all. If Jeffery walks and we get nothing in return, what does this say about Pace managing assets? If he knows he will match and lets the market set the price then he may save some grace but now we may have to over pay. The Bears cannot keep letting good players get away. It seems like any good player we have, we find a reason not want them.

I do not like this at all. If Jeffery walks and we get nothing in return, what does this say about Pace managing assets? If he knows he will match and lets the market set the price then he may save some grace but now we may have to over pay. The Bears cannot keep letting good players get away. It seems like any good player we have, we find a reason not want them.

Something just doesn't add up. Not to say Cutler was/is a good player but the team is suddenly looking at losing two franchise difference makers with nothing in return. Sure AJ has had his injuries and Jay can't seem to remain consistent but they are no doubt cornerstone players. If not in Chicago with another team. But to lose them both; again with no compensation doesn't make much sense. Something is going on and we're missing it. Pace isn't that naive...right?

Something just doesn't add up. Not to say Cutler was/is a good player but the team is suddenly looking at losing two franchise difference makers with nothing in return. Sure AJ has had his injuries and Jay can't seem to remain consistent but they are no doubt cornerstone players. If not in Chicago with another team. But to lose them both; again with no compensation doesn't make much sense. Something is going on and we're missing it. Pace isn't that naive...right?

We will have nearly 60% of the cap available. Kind of sad seeing that to be honest. Cut Houston and Royal and that number goes up. Pace will have to find a lot of 1 or 2 year deals so he don't handcuff himself and lose some of our draft gems down the road.

Since we are not cutting him, if he signs a decent deal, we will at least get a comp pick for him next year. The Chargers got a 5th for Royal, so I would assume we would at least get a 4th for Jeffery.

If Cutler and Alshon walk, that would be Cutler, Forte, Marshall, Jeffery, and Bennett all lost since the start of the Pace tenure (on offense alone).

Since we are not cutting him, if he signs a decent deal, we will at least get a comp pick for him next year. The Chargers got a 5th for Royal, so I would assume we would at least get a 4th for Jeffery.

If Cutler and Alshon walk, that would be Cutler, Forte, Marshall, Jeffery, and Bennett all lost since the start of the Pace tenure (on offense alone).

As another poster said, comp picks are based on money lost vs money spent. So say Alshon signs for 15 mill, if the Bears spend more than 15 mill, the Bears don't get a pick.

Hoyer is the only other guy who might get a couple mill elsewhere to beef up the chances of a comp pick.

I can see that perspective but I don't agree with it. Jeffrey's record defines him as a player and that is one who misses numerous games and practices every season. Compare him against Antonio Brown and it's night and day. There should be no reason for his health to get better as he gets older.

As far as nothing in return, when you spend $15mil and your player is sidelined for injury or suspended you are getting zero Return on Investment (ROI) those weeks. I've seen a lot of weeks in the last 3 seasons with little to no ROI on Jeffrey. If Jeffrey leaves we'll get $15mil in cap space and Pace can go out and sign the top 2 FA CBs if he so chooses. There's a higher probability of that making this team better because with question marks at QB we need a strong defense and a strong running game. There are already some good pieces in place on both sides to make that happen. Add to them.

I can see that perspective but I don't agree with it. Jeffrey's record defines him as a player and that is one who misses numerous games and practices every season. Compare him against Antonio Brown and it's night and day. There should be no reason for his health to get better as he gets older.

As far as nothing in return, when you spend $15mil and your player is sidelined for injury or suspended you are getting zero Return on Investment (ROI) those weeks. I've seen a lot of weeks in the last 3 seasons with little to no ROI on Jeffrey. If Jeffrey leaves we'll get $15mil in cap space and Pace can go out and sign the top 2 FA CBs if he so chooses. There's a higher probability of that making this team better because with question marks at QB we need a strong defense and a strong running game. There are already some good pieces in place on both sides to make that happen. Add to them.

I am more mad that the AJ will be the top FA this offseason and the awful Bears get nothing out of it but false pride. We will have cut, let walk, or traded all of our playmakers (Cutler, Forte, Marshall, Jeffery, and Bennett) with little to show for replacements. Which leaves the replacements today looking like (Shaw, Howard*, White, Meredith, and Miller).

I know that won't be accurate but I am frustrated and not at anyone here. At the end of next week free agency starts, maybe the tune will change

Even more reason to question this. Of all the players you listed the only one, so far, that has worked out (in the place of the listed players) is Jordan Howard. Heck they thought Langford was the answer and the reason for Fortes departure. But then along came Jordan. Did Pace just luck out? I mean when you look at the other players; Bennett, Marshall, Jeffery and Cutler either gone or potentially gone you have; Miller, K. White, Meredith(?) and a player to be determined in their place. Of those two (Miller and White) have an even worse injury history than AJ.

So again, should we start questioning Pace's judgement going forward or is there something he knows we don't?