Realistic view of looking bad

Stinger226

I am disappointed at missing out on one big signing of a playmaker, but lets look at last year first.

Everybody got excited at signing Trevathan but we missed out on Malik Jackson and Javous Jenkins, I dont remember people complaining much.

We signed Hicks, Freeman and Sitton that all made our team better but I dont remember people celebrating such great free agents. Massie ended up being an okay signing.

Hicks was close to being a pro bowl player, Sitton did make the pro bowl and Freeman played like a stud while Trevathan got hurt.

On day one we didnt get blowed away but if we look back to last year, I would have to say we did quite well. You can not fix everything in one offseason.

We were moving on from Cutler for better or for worse and other than trading for Jimmy G , we got the best free agent QB available, something we had to do.

There were three teams bidding for him and the other two teams stopped at 10mil a year. So when were negotiating, how do we know what they are bidding? So Pace offered what he valued for the position and on hindsight we paid to much. The problem is on the first day of FAgency, you overpay.

We do not know if he will be good or bad, but since making the choice there are a lot more people saying nice things about him than expected.

So now we have a new QB and will soon draft a future prospect. This will prove it self out but if he ends up being the 15th rated QB in the league, I would say that is a win win.

We all thought Jeffery was leaving for a long time and it finally happened and we're shocked. Truth is he didnt want to be here, I heard the contract we offered was the 11-12 mil for 4 to 5 years and he choose 14 mil from Philly. One thing to consider is Grohl was there his previous WR coach here when he got here. He wanted out and bet on himself. If he produces like he has the last two years, we will say we won that.

There were better choices for S out there than Demps but what I heard is they needed a leader in the backfield and that is what he was in Houston. If you figure Hall, Bush, LeBlanc, Houston-Carson,Amos and Jones-Quartey all improve in their second year, we will look back on this as our best FAgency signing. We forget We have some upside on players we bought in last year, Bush, Hall that could potentially be NFL starters.

I wanted Doyle but it is clear, he was given the Cots starting job when they traded Allen, so if we offered the same money or even a little more he didnt want to move.

Sims is a blocking TE we didnt have last year, Paulson was suppose to be that guy and he sucked. If we are going to be running the ball more and a lot more two TE sets, we had to have a player like this. Is he a star, no but he can help to improve the over all performance of our offense plus we will draft one some where in the draft. Personally I think Brown will ascend as a TE this year and split time with Miller to help preserve him for the whole year.

Wheaton has upside but having a down year because of injury, he could be sneaky good as our slot WR with top end speed. We will have to wait and see who else we get but this will end up being a good signing if he stays healthy.

So in review,

we had our one big signing at the most important position on the field. Glennon, the year will determine how good a choice this was.

We added a WR but lost Jeffery, we have to wait and who else we get. If we end up with Pryor, I will not feel so bad about this. If we end up drafting Zay Jones, I will be excited for next year.

Sims was a needed blocking TE and we have it, did we pay to much,Yes, this is free agency.

Demps played as well any of the Free agent Ss did last year with 6 interceptions and if he adds leadership in the back of the defense this is a win win.

There will be more signing and when its all over, we can start complaining but after one day, I am not sure we should be.

Thank you Stinger...your post took me off the ledge.

For now! ;)

I am disappointed at missing out on one big signing of a playmaker, but lets look at last year first.

Everybody got excited at signing Trevathan but we missed out on Malik Jackson and Javous Jenkins, I dont remember people complaining much.

We signed Hicks, Freeman and Sitton that all made our team better but I dont remember people celebrating such great free agents. Massie ended up being an okay signing.

Hicks was close to being a pro bowl player, Sitton did make the pro bowl and Freeman played like a stud while Trevathan got hurt.

On day one we didnt get blowed away but if we look back to last year, I would have to say we did quite well. You can not fix everything in one offseason.

We were moving on from Cutler for better or for worse and other than trading for Jimmy G , we got the best free agent QB available, something we had to do.

There were three teams bidding for him and the other two teams stopped at 10mil a year. So when were negotiating, how do we know what they are bidding? So Pace offered what he valued for the position and on hindsight we paid to much. The problem is on the first day of FAgency, you overpay.

We do not know if he will be good or bad, but since making the choice there are a lot more people saying nice things about him than expected.

So now we have a new QB and will soon draft a future prospect. This will prove it self out but if he ends up being the 15th rated QB in the league, I would say that is a win win.

We all thought Jeffery was leaving for a long time and it finally happened and we're shocked. Truth is he didnt want to be here, I heard the contract we offered was the 11-12 mil for 4 to 5 years and he choose 14 mil from Philly. One thing to consider is Grohl was there his previous WR coach here when he got here. He wanted out and bet on himself. If he produces like he has the last two years, we will say we won that.

There were better choices for S out there than Demps but what I heard is they needed a leader in the backfield and that is what he was in Houston. If you figure Hall, Bush, LeBlanc, Houston-Carson,Amos and Jones-Quartey all improve in their second year, we will look back on this as our best FAgency signing. We forget We have some upside on players we bought in last year, Bush, Hall that could potentially be NFL starters.

I wanted Doyle but it is clear, he was given the Cots starting job when they traded Allen, so if we offered the same money or even a little more he didnt want to move.

Sims is a blocking TE we didnt have last year, Paulson was suppose to be that guy and he sucked. If we are going to be running the ball more and a lot more two TE sets, we had to have a player like this. Is he a star, no but he can help to improve the over all performance of our offense plus we will draft one some where in the draft. Personally I think Brown will ascend as a TE this year and split time with Miller to help preserve him for the whole year.

Wheaton has upside but having a down year because of injury, he could be sneaky good as our slot WR with top end speed. We will have to wait and see who else we get but this will end up being a good signing if he stays healthy.

So in review,

we had our one big signing at the most important position on the field. Glennon, the year will determine how good a choice this was.

We added a WR but lost Jeffery, we have to wait and who else we get. If we end up with Pryor, I will not feel so bad about this. If we end up drafting Zay Jones, I will be excited for next year.

Sims was a needed blocking TE and we have it, did we pay to much,Yes, this is free agency.

Demps played as well any of the Free agent Ss did last year with 6 interceptions and if he adds leadership in the back of the defense this is a win win.

There will be more signing and when its all over, we can start complaining but after one day, I am not sure we should be.

I'm not a fan of Pace, and expected Jeffery to be gone this year.

My biggest gripe is that Glennon is getting paid what he is, and only because it hints they may not take a QB at 3. If they still take one there, then I have no problem with his pay either.

I didn't want a QB at 3 and still don't want a QB at 3. This is not the year LIMo.I would prefer they wait till the 3rd and hope for Webb or Peterman but wouldn't have a real problem taking 1 in the 2nd.

They wont be taking a QB at 3, with Glennon, that gives them the chance of taking a plum player there. As of now, Allen is back in the picture, the other choices will be Adams-Thomas-Lattimore

I can see things fall this way barring a trade down.

1 Allen/5T

2 Peterman/QB

3 Justin Evans/FS

4a Fabian Moreau/CB

4b Ryan Switzer/WR

or looking at a QB nobody is talking about

1 Allen/5T

2 Budda Baker/FS

3 Kevin King/CB

4a Cris Goodwin/WR

4b Chad Kelly/QB I read where all of his off field red flags came from a bar fight, since its not domestic violence , draftable

Every year is not the year, but if you want a QB you get them there. You don't get them in the 3rd or second.

I'm with you. I'm of the opinion you still draft a QB in the 3rd this year. If for some reason he doesn't work out this year or isn't needed then you draft another next year. The way contracts are currently set up for our QBs (Glennon, Shaw) we can dump either or both next year if needed; or keep them.

Every year is not the year, but if you want a QB you get them there. You don't get them in the 3rd or second.

I am also on board with this. Trade down if it makes you feel better, but do not pass up on a QB because player A is slotted around #15 and we hold card #3. I don't care if they draft QB in round one the next 3 years or more as long as they make an attempt to get it right for once in my life and have a quality backup that was drafted and groomed by the Bears also. I still feel Watson would be that long term answer and he can have a career similiar to Russell Wilson, I would use 3 on him.

I am also on board with this. Trade down if it makes you feel better, but do not pass up on a QB because player A is slotted around #15 and we hold card #3. I don't care if they draft QB in round one the next 3 years or more as long as they make an attempt to get it right for once in my life and have a quality backup that was drafted and groomed by the Bears also. I still feel Watson would be that long term answer and he can have a career similiar to Russell Wilson, I would use 3 on him.

Wilson was drafted in the 3rd round. ;)

Peace :dabears

True, but would you pass on him now in round 1 if given the chance? I think that is Watson's ceiling, they can pass and take a solid #2 in Webb or Peterman rounds 2-3 and shoot for 2018 for a legit prospect.

Not at 3. I would take BPA at 3 and look to QB in round 2 or 3.

That's how I feel. They can basically draft any QB this year. Do it when you have a that chance, because hopefully they won't be drafting this early anytime soon.

I haven't been able to follow the off season very well, so when I first his name mentioned I liked it. I thought that's an outside the box idea that could be a stop gap or turn out well. Now I like the signing, as long as it's not used as a reason to avoid drafting a QB at 3.

Not at 3. I would take BPA at 3 and look to QB in round 2 or 3.

If you put Aaron Rodgers on a team or the best 5 players other positions on a team, Aaron's Rodger's team will do better.

A possible franchise QB is always the BPA, due to the positions value to a team.

If you put Aaron Rodgers on a team or the best 5 players other positions on a team, Aaron's Rodger's team will do better.

A possible franchise QB is always the BPA, due to the positions value to a team.

I don't believe that any of the top 3 are franchise QBs (at least not at this time).

I don't believe that any of the top 3 are franchise QBs (at least not at this time).

I think it is clear Pace is commited to building through the draft and is bringing people in the get us through the next couple of years while our drafted players develop.

His first year here , was not great, he still did not have his draft people in place, his crew was left over from the last regime.

His second year was great in the draft. Besides Whitehair, Howard, Floyd, we still have some upside players still developing. Bullard, Bush, Hall,Kwaitoski ,Robinson-Harris,Houston-Carson.

He brought in LeBlanc who appears to be able to play.

Truth be told, several of those players still have the opportunity to be starters and some may be stars.

Second year players that still have something to prove, White, Amos, Goldman needs to be healthy.

This year we have high picks, so the legacy of Pace will be in the draft not in FAgency.