Which side is closer?

Mongo3451

I have always said a team should have an identity. Teams usually win with a dominant side of the ball. Rarely does a team win a championship without either.

That being said, the brass wants our identity to be a dominant defensive team with a ball control offense winning the time of possession battle. What is the best path to establishing the goal, now that we've filled holes in FA? Let's pose a draft strictly on that...

I have always said a team should have an identity. Teams usually win with a dominant side of the ball. Rarely does a team win a championship without either.

That being said, the brass wants our identity to be a dominant defensive team with a ball control offense winning the time of possession battle. What is the best path to establishing the goal, now that we've filled holes in FA? Let's pose a draft strictly on that...

I think that means we mainly draft D players but we still need a upgrade at the OTs spots to help that philosophy. Also a TE like Howard would add to the blocking and be a major asset in the passing game.

This is easy. The Defense. Hence my concept of an all-defense draft.

If the Bears drafted all defense this year, and spent one of those picks on an OT, they would likely make a big jump forward because last year's D was on the verge of being pretty good.

1. Jonathan Allen, DE, Bama

2. Budda Baker, FS, Wash

3. etc..

Problem is, everyone wants a QB this year too. So now the Bears have 7 picks, 5 of which are on D. Oops, this is an incredible TE draft class! Make that 4 D, 3 O. And now we're away from the "one side of the ball"-concept.

The way you do it is draft offense and defense of linemen every year in the first round.

If you just draft the BPA and not worry about what side of the ball, then that will make us better.

The top players are Ds so the first pick should be D. Thomas or Allen

In the second if one of the top 3 OTs drop we must consider it, if not Baker should be that, or Oli M. Say Robinson/OT drops

In the third grab Justin Evans or Markus Williams

In the fourth we have two so look for a QB prospect and a CB Peterman and Howard Wilson

In the fifth you take a TE prospect Kittle or Sprinkle

In the 7th take a edge rusher Jimmie Gilbert/Colo

So why would we expect them to draft heavy on the D if they've already done that, or at least addressed it in the last two years? Here are the players Pace has brought through the draft or as UDFA's since becoming the Bears GM. Eddie Goldman (DL), Adrian Amos (S), B. Callahan (DB) , Jonathan Anderson (LB), Jacoby Glenn (CB), J. Timu (LB), Harold Jones-Quartey (S), L., Floyd (OLB), J. Bullard (DL), N. Kwitkowski (LB), D. Bush (S), and D. Houston-Carson (S). Of the drafted players Pace picked 2 out of six in 2015 and 7 out of 9 possible picks last year. Of all the above listed players who are still on the team? More importantly, how many of these guys are about to contribute in a big way?

Two trains of thought here. One being that perhaps our soon to be 2nd and 3rd year players are going to contribute in a big way OR they're going to draft MORE defensive players that are not ready to contribute for another year or two. Thus begging the question should Pace be trusted to draft players that aren't ready to contribute in years 2 or 3?

So we should focus mostly on drafting defensive players this year you say? Since 'we're closer' on that side of the ball you say? If memory serves, didn't Lovie used to get fried on this board for focusing too much on defense and not enough on offense? Personally I like the idea of a dominant defense but not at the expense of totally overlooking the talent available on the offensive side of the ball in the draft.

I'm thinking defense as well. Too many unknowns at QB, TE, add WR. I think the OL will be vastly improved with the health of Long and a year of seasoning for Massie, Whitehair and Sitton, due to them being new to the system. Leno should be better as he gains experience.

My wish list for our first pick is Hooker, Adams and Thomas respectively.

I'm thinking defense as well. Too many unknowns at QB, TE, add WR. I think the OL will be vastly improved with the health of Long and a year of seasoning for Massie, Whitehair and Sitton, due to them being new to the system. Leno should be better as he gains experience.

My wish list for our first pick is Hooker, Adams and Thomas respectively.

I would say add Allen to that list and will definitely be from that group.

So why would we expect them to draft heavy on the D if they've already done that, or at least addressed it in the last two years? Here are the players Pace has brought through the draft or as UDFA's since becoming the Bears GM. Eddie Goldman (DL), Adrian Amos (S), B. Callahan (DB) , Jonathan Anderson (LB), Jacoby Glenn (CB), J. Timu (LB), Harold Jones-Quartey (S), L., Floyd (OLB), J. Bullard (DL), N. Kwitkowski (LB), D. Bush (S), and D. Houston-Carson (S). Of the drafted players Pace picked 2 out of six in 2015 and 7 out all the above listed players who are still on the team? More importantly, how many of these guys are about to contribute in a big way?

Two trains of thought here. One being that perhaps our soon to be 2nd and 3rd year players are going to contribute in a big way OR they're going to draft MORE defensive players that are not ready to contribute for another year or two. Thus begging the question should Pace be trusted to draft players that aren't ready to contribute in years 2 or 3?

So we should focus mostly on drafting defensive players this year you say? Since 'we're closer' on that side of the ball you say? If memory serves, didn't Lovie used to get fried on this board for focusing too much on defense and not enough on offense? Personally I like the idea of a dominant defense but not at the expense of totally overlooking the talent available on the offensive side of the ball in the draft.

I think we all want instant gratification, but it doesn't always work that way. You have pointed out many players that should get more time before we draft over them again and consider those players busts. If they move Fuller and Hall to S, I find it hard to draft high at S. They would have Demps, Amos, Quarty-Jones, Fuller, Hall, Bush, Carson-Houston and a few others. Sure, I would love Adams/Hooker/Baker but we are looking at only keeping 4-5 on the roster and the house is already full. Drafting more just means we have to cut more creating more holes. I also think Bullard should be given the opportunity to be a main piece on the D before we draft over him.

I think boosting the offense should be a priority. Get a QB with big upside, TE, swing OT, and WR. That is 4/7 picks. On Defense we can use a CB, DLineman, and OLB.

No one would ever do this, but considering what you are looking for in the draft is big time difference makers, what about a strategy of compiling as many picks as you can grabbing a ton of boom or bust guys? Just get the physical freaks figuring that the light has to come on for some of them and if you even if you hit on 2 great players, 1-2 decent players, and a bunch of busts, that's about as good as you'll do in a normal draft:

So let's say you are the Bears and you trade down to middle of the first and grab an extra 2nd and maybe a 4th and 6th along the way:

1) Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech - The one QB who you think, "if everything he fixes his flaws, with his physical gifts, he's a top 5 QB."

2) Obi Melifonwu, S, UConn - May not be there, but he's the physical freak of the safeties this year.

2) Evan Engram, TE, Mississippi - He's small for a TE, but 4.42 40 is still unheard of.

3) Roderick Johnson, OT, Florida State - All the physical tools to be a dominant T, but needs technique work and has consistency/focus issues.

4) Tanoh Kpassagnon, DE, Villanova - 6'7" 300 is perfect 5T size and broad jumped 10'8".

4) Tyus Bowser, LB, Houston - Another small school guy with perfect NFL measurables. Best 3-cone among LBs.

4) Isaac Asisata, G, Utah - Top bench press at the combine.

5) Robert Davis, WR, Georgia State - Has the height, weight, and speed of a #1 WR (Mack Hollins from UNC would also qualify).

6) Speedy Noil, WR, Texas A&M - A character nightmare, but a dangerous return man/slot receiver with 4.4 speed and a 43" vertical at 5'11".

7) Brian Allen, CB, Utah - Very raw CB who is 6'3" 215 and ran a 4.48 40.

Part of me likes this draft. The other part sees something Al Davis would have loved.

I see no magic bullet making this a playoff caliber team. Take BPA and if that ends up all defense so be it. If it ends up all offense so be it. It won't be the worst draft if we trade back a bit and end up with a WR (Davis), QB (Kizer), OT (Garcia), TE (Leggett), WR ((Westbrook/Switzer), RB (Hill), OT (Ugokwe). We'd have to trade back to fit the value to some of those picks but whatever. Figure the trade back nets one more 2nd Rd pick and we grab a CB (Awuzie). Drafting two WRs might mean Kendall Wright goes back into FA.

That's not necessarily how I want the draft to go but it's quite possible. Glennon might be very happy throwing to White/Davis/Meredith/Wheaton/Switzer, with TEs Leggett/Miller.

I have watched a few games on gamepass recently and it is apparent we quickly get behind in games and then play catch up which John Fox recently spoke about in his press conference.

If you take into account the strength of the offense is running i.e. Jordan Howard behind the strong interior line then we need to have a strong defense that can limit early scoring. If you look at the defense, the scheme, the best players available and position strength of the draft the priority will clearly be taking either Allen or Thomas at 3 and unless another team gives us a trade that we can't refuse I don't see us moving.

The safety in our scheme is important but I think less important than the dline and having Allen/Thomas with Goldman and Hicks potentially a good to very good unit.

With the safety positions I understand that Adams and Hooker potentially are studs but we can improve that area later because of the position strength in the draft and the less importance at that position in the scheme.

I would be dismayed if we take a QB with the 1st because if you think best player available then clearly a QB doesn't meet this criteria. Also next years draft class is supposed to be stronger.

I think we all want instant gratification, but it doesn't always work that way. You have pointed out many players that should get more time before we draft over them again and consider those players busts. If they move Fuller and Hall to S, I find it hard to draft high at S. They would have Demps, Amos, Quarty-Jones, Fuller, Hall, Bush, Carson-Houston and a few others. Sure, I would love Adams/Hooker/Baker but we are looking at only keeping 4-5 on the roster and the house is already full. Drafting more just means we have to cut more creating more holes. I also think Bullard should be given the opportunity to be a main piece on the D before we draft over him.

I think boosting the offense should be a priority. Get a QB with big upside, TE, swing OT, and WR. That is 4/7 picks. On Defense we can use a CB, DLineman, and OLB.

I think with all those safeties , which one are difference makers? Most are FS types, I would say Amos and Bush are the SS so I think we may add one but probably not early. Since we have more upside in that position I think that tells us it will be a DL or CB. I think we expect quite a bit of upside to Cooper but Prince is only a stab at the position. With the upside of Bullard, it may say we are grabbing a CB with the first spot. On the long shot side, OJ Howard could be an all pro type TE that would aide in our running game and be a outstanding option in the passing game.

I think with all those safeties , which one are difference makers? Most are FS types, I would say Amos and Bush are the SS so I think we may add one but probably not early. Since we have more upside in that position I think that tells us it will be a DL or CB. I think we expect quite a bit of upside to Cooper but Prince is only a stab at the position. With the upside of Bullard, it may say we are grabbing a CB with the first spot. On the long shot side, OJ Howard could be an all pro type TE that would aide in our running game and be a outstanding option in the passing game.

What would be the point of adding another mid-round safety? The Bears have been trying to solve the safety problem with mid-round picks (rounds 3-5) and veterans since 2010 and gotten nowhere. Why add another Major Wright/Chris Conte/Brock Vereen/Adrian Amos? I know this is a better than average safety draft, but you need a solution, so if I'm the Bears, I'm taking advantage and taking a safety in the first or second round. Safety opposite Demps is pretty clearly our weakest position on defense, IMO.

What would be the point of adding another mid-round safety? The Bears have been trying to solve the safety problem with mid-round picks (rounds 3-5) and veterans since 2010 and gotten nowhere. Why add another Major Wright/Chris Conte/Brock Vereen/Adrian Amos? I know this is a better than average safety draft, but you need a solution, so if I'm the Bears, I'm taking advantage and taking a safety in the first or second round. Safety opposite Demps is pretty clearly our weakest position on defense, IMO.

Because we have the numbers at safety with the hope some develop, grab one in the 3rd that is a SS. Other than two, most on our team are FS types. This is a deep class in safeties so grabbing one in third would be like taking a second rounder in most years.

Grab a DL in the first

Grab a OT in the second and then fill in with prospects in the other rounds.(provided they are valued picks)