WTF

dawhizz

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's freaking horrible for a variety of reasons.

1. The value to trade up was too much.

2. The trade was unnecessary since the Niners would have picked Thomas anyway.

3. The team has too many holes to trade up.

4. Glennon's contract now is wasted money.

That's just to start. Nevermind the accuracy issues.

Yes.

1. The value to trade up was too much. They weren't worried about SF, they were bidding against the browns.

2. The trade was unnecessary since the Niners would have picked Thomas anyway. See above

3. The team has too many holes to trade up. Nothing is more important than QB

4. Glennon's contract now is wasted money. He won't start this year add Glennons contract is essentially a one year deal.

I agree with the first 3, but Glennons contract is fine to make sure the draft pick transitions. The only reason I see the trade was because Cleveland was also trying to trade up.

1. The trade up value wasn't too much. San Fran likely had other trades on the table, and Pace saw his QB.

2. It was necessary, see 1. San Fran's pick has been up for grabs and the interest in Trubisky had shot up lately.

3. The Bears have holes, but holes are covered up by a Franchise QB. A safety hole isn't as bad as a QB hole. They just sealed the biggest hole on the boat if he turns out, and will make this team a competitor for years to come.

4. Glennon's contract was wasted money no matter what. This year teams were trading picks to sell their cap space. The Bears just had too much money available and had to spend some for this year when they got Glennon.

The trade value has us losing by 170, so the equivalent to a late 3rd (which seems like a huge overpay for 1 spot). The only way Pace redeems himself is if he parlays this into multiple picks starting with #12, 2x 2nd's (33, 52), and a 3rd this year (65), and at least a 3rd next year. Otherwise, this is brutal. We have too many holes to fill to lose 3 picks in the first 4 rounds over the next two years. Even if Trubisky ends up being good, his rookie contract will be over before we will have enough draft picks contributing.

I agree with the first 3, but Glennons contract is fine to make sure the draft pick transitions. The only reason I see the trade was because Cleveland was also trying to trade up.

There shouldn't need to be a QB transition for the #2 pick in the entire freaking draft.

1. The trade up value wasn't too much. San Fran likely had other trades on the table, and Pace saw his QB.

2. It was necessary, see 1. San Fran's pick has been up for grabs and the interest in Trubisky had shot up lately.

3. The Bears have holes, but holes are covered up by a Franchise QB. A safety hole isn't as bad as a QB hole. They just sealed the biggest hole on the boat if he turns out, and will make this team a competitor for years to come.

4. Glennon's contract was wasted money no matter what. This year teams were trading picks to sell their cap space. The Bears just had too much money available and had to spend some for this year when they got Glennon.

1. Just because others offer more doesn't mean you have to outbid. At this point I think Pace would pay $10 for a dollar meal at McDonalds if he thought someone in front of him might order the same thing.

2. See #1.

3. Holes aren't covered by a franchise QB if he's on his ass half the game and the D can't stop anyone.

4. How do you figure? What if Glennon lights it up? What if he looks great? Then he's suuuuper cheap next year at less than $5M. If they wanted to waste money, they should have overspent for some other free agent like Calais Campbell or Alshon Jeffrey.

1. Clearly there was another suitor for the Niner's 2nd pick. I think the Browns are the most likely, who else had enough ammunition to make us pay two thirds and a fourth? But they were at 12, and we were at 3, so SF went with us.

2. 2 3rds and a 4th isnt THAT high a price to get a franchise QB.

3. Even if you think there is a 35% chance that Trubisky can be a Super Bowl winning QB someday, the price of swinging the bat on that is pretty high sure to market scarcity.

4. Our guys have to really believe in Trubisky!

5. If Trubisky plays well, we have Glennon to trade, who was highly desired this year, and now you dont even have to pay him a signing bonus, so all that value gets converted into draft picks for us. We may get more than we gave for Trubisky back. If that happens, then Pace was smart not to get suckered in Free Agency just because he has a bunch of cap room, and instead converted 2017 cap dollars into 2018 draft picks. Thats like what the Cubs did while they were building too.

6. Yes Pace is on the line with this choice, if our QB play isnt great in the next couple years, then he is done. But he didnt act out of fear, he swung hard, and I hope he hits it out of the park. There are a lot of good reasons to believe in Trubisky, and that's exciting.

6. Between Glennon and Trubisky the odds are pretty high we are going to have a good QB. That is worth a lot too.

Jason if Glennon and Trubisky are both good, then we can make a fortune trading one of them. The money wouldnt be wasted, it would be converted into future draft choices, like what the Cubs did for a few years building this young talented team.

I'm ok with Trubisky (I'm the one who thinks he's Mahomes with better mechanics). It's the trade up that burns me. But if he's a franchise QB, no one will care.

Now we trade down in the 2nd and try to get some value back in the middle rounds, where we can still get potential starters at S,CB, TE.