PACE dumb and dumber or genius?

Stinger226

Evaluation is even hard for experts whose jobs are on the line for their choices.

Only 59% of the first round become starters. that's a high miss rate. 29% are busts.

At the SB this year there were 38 UDFAs on the the two teams rosters.

the point is it's hard to know where the players are coming from but the bottom line is evaluating talent.

lets look at Paces drafts

White-- has been injured but still has #1 WR traits. If he stays healthy we will know this answer.

Goldman-- big time player with some injury issues

Grasu-- may still be OC of this football team

Langford-- an NFL player but is not a star

Amos-- an average SS but not a bust by anyones opinion

Fabujuis-- a miss

Floyd-- looks like a potential star

Whitehair-- stud OL guy

Bullard-- jury is still out, that is why you cant judge a player in his first year, they develop at different paces.

Kwaitkoski-- I would have to stay future start in the middle

Bush-- jury is still out but has some traits

D. Hall- now becoming a FS has great upside

Howard- the second best RB in the 5th round (he shoots and he scores)

Houston-Carlson-- probably just a STs guy but we actually dont have this answer yet.

Tribusky-- compared to Matthew Stafford- if it turns out that way, a huge pick

Shaleen-- compared to Jason Witten-- I would be satisfied with that

Jackson-- a potenial steal in this years draft if he gets back to his 2015 level of play

Cohen-- a Sporles clone

Morgan-- a player they spent a week with, I would say he is a potential starter at OG.

Here is some UDFAs he has brought in

Roberson-Harris-- the jury is still out but has traits

Braunecker-- may not be a starter but a competitive backup- jury still out

Callahan-- a NB that can play

Glenn-- back and forth off the roster but still may be able to stike

Medidith-- a #2 WR a major hit

Timu-- a competent backup

By looking at this list, I would say he can evaluate talent, but we wont know for at least one more year.

We dont know where the talent will come from but I would say he will hit on two out of three on the players he choose.

Here is some FAs he hit on

McPhee- aside from injuries he can play

Danny Trevathan ILB

Josh Sitton G 30

Bobby Massie RT

Jerrell Freeman ILB 30

Tracy Porter CB

Akiem Hicks DE

Zach Miller TE 32

Sherrick McManis CB

Mitch Unrein DT

Brian Hoyer QB

Ted Larsen G 29 -

Manuel Ramirez G

Omar Bolden FS

Sam Acho OLB

Chris Prosinski

By that list I would say he had a lot more hits than misses at good value

Mike Glennon QB

Dion Sims TE 26

Marcus Cooper CB

Quintin Demps SS

Markus Wheaton WR

Prince Amukamara CB

Mark Sanchez QB

Kendall Wright WR

Tom Compton T

Christian Jones ILB

C.J. Wilson DE 30

Connor Barth K

John Jenkins DT

Johnthan Banks CB

Sam Acho OLB

Deonte Thompson

Benny Cunningham RB

Chris Prosinski

We wont know until the end of this year but i would say we upgraded our talent with these picks at a good value.

I think the team he is building is going to be very good but is still a year or maybe two away from being a very good team

QBs Glennon-Tribuski-Sanchez I would have to say this is a huge upgrade with the possibility of being great.

RBs Howard- Langford-Cohen-Cunningham I think this is a very exicting group

WRs White-Wright-Wheaton-Merideth-Randle-Braverman I would say this group could turn out to be very good

TEs Shaleen-Sims-Brown-Miller-Baunecker this group could turn out to be very good

OL Sitton-Long-Whitehair-Grasu-Morgan-Compton-Massie-Kush-Leno I think this is one of the team strengths

DL- Hicks-Goldman-Bullard-Unrien-Jenkins- I see a lot of potenial here with a couple of stars ( R-Harris has been beefing up and I see him becoming a 5T)

LBers Floyd-Acho-Young-Anderson-Timu-Freeman-Trevathan-Kithwatoski-McPhee-Jones this a very good looking group

CBs Fuller-Callahan-Porter-Akumurimra-Banks-Baushy-Cooper-LeBlanc-McMannis-Webb We are throwing a lot of darts at this position and I will bet it turns out to be very good.

Ss Amos-Bush-Jackson-Demps-D. Hall-Jones-Quarty-Proniski I see a proming ugrade in this area.

Our team has been totally rebuilt and still may need a year or two to show its potential.

I think Pace has put this roster in a position to start winning this year. Until it gets all thrown together, we have a hard time seeing it from this side of the fence.

There will be a lot of good hits and some that dont work out but I am very optimistic.

We are building a power running team with a west coast flavor

Glennon and Tribuski we have two darts at board and could hit on both of them

White-Merideth-Wright-Wheation, I think this group surprises us.

TEs- totally upgrades our running game and red zone scoring, this could be one of our stengths

RB- We have Howard with Langford backing him up, also Cunningham and Cohen as 3rd down backs , this could be a very exciting offense if Cohen turns into Sporles

OL this is going to be one of our strengths and if Morgan is sneaky good with Grasu being solid, I can see us moving Whitehair out to Lenos spot.

Front 7-- Hicks-Goldman-McPhee-Freeman-Trevathan-Floyd all star types Young-Bullard-Robnson-Harris---Jenkins- Barring injuries I think our D arrives, top 8

Backside- I think Cooper-Demps-Jackson-D. Hall-Prince A-Callahan-LeBlanc-Banks-Amos completes our D. turns out well.

Pace has a plan and I think this year this plan comes together.

Surprises this year:

Bullard takes a huge step forward

Cooper and Jackson become playmakers

Robinson-Harris shows some pass rushing skills

Floyd gets 12 to 14 sacks this year

McPhee plays less and still gets 10 sacks

Hicks and Goldman have 14 sacks between them.

Offense becomes a power team with 2 TEs sets . White and Merideth shine, TE becomes a strength. Howard star and Cohen turns into Sproles.

8 to 10 wins, but remember I am an optimist.

Nice work. I am more pessimistic about our record but like the potential this team has. The pieces are falling in place, we still have great cap space and if we suck again, we can accumulate tons of draft picks with this next QB class coming in.

Barring injuries we arent going to be bad again, bank it.

An odd trend to Pace's picks over the last 3 years only 4 picks west of Chicago and only one technically "West" out of 20 picks:

(Whitehair) Kansas State, (Hall) Northern Iowa, (Fabuluje) Texas Christian, and (Grasu) Oregon

Is this a scout thing?

In my mind Pace is grading downward ever so slight. Personally I think the Trubisky deal is a close FUBAR situation. Good to have a potential franchise QB? Sure(?) but at what cost? If true Fox didn't know thenthat by itself could make this year interesting. Many of the 'expert' analysts are having quite a laugh at our expense. Hell the home crowd at the Bulls game booed Trubisky last night when he was introduced. (But then so was Glennon at the Cubs opener). HOPEFULLY our team can prove them wrong. I'm not optimistic but I'll keep my digits crossed.

I'm going to predict that Connor Shaw will end up in at least the number #2 spot. Partly (mostly) because I absolutely hate the idea of Sanchez on the team. Butt fumble extraordanaire.

In my mind Pace is grading downward ever so slight. Personally I think the Trubisky deal is a close FUBAR situation. Good to have a potential franchise QB? Sure(?) but at what cost? If true Fox didn't know thenthat by itself could make this year interesting. Many of the 'expert' analysts are having quite a laugh at our expense. Hell the home crowd at the Bulls game booed Trubisky last night when he was introduced. (But then so was Glennon at the Cubs opener). HOPEFULLY our team can prove them wrong. I'm not optimistic but I'll keep my digits crossed.

I'm going to predict that Connor Shaw will end up in at least the number #2 spot. Partly (mostly) because I absolutely hate the idea of Sanchez on the team. Butt fumble extraordanaire.

Drown in your sorrow, much better to be optimistic before it plays itself out. Shaw will be cut, so you can feel bad about that.

Here are our offseason acquisitions so far:

QB - (from Cutler/Hoyer/Barkley):

Mike Glennon

Mitchell Trubisky

Mark Sanchez

Now with Trubisky on the roster, it will be interesting to see how long Glennon lasts as a starter. At this point, I don't know if we are actually better. Trubisky gives us the most hope.

RB -

Benny Cunningham

Tarik Cohen

A true FB and a Scatback. Some crazy diversity if you look at Howard, Langford, Cunningham, and Cohen.

WR -

Markus Wheaton

Kendall Wright

Reuben Randle

Not a single WR draft pick, so we are banking on a healthy White with Meredith to go with Wheaton and Wright. On paper, this still has to be one of the worst WR corps in the NFL. White has to become a legit #1 in his 3rd year.

TE -

Dions Sims

Adam Shaheen

We overpaid for Sims, which is still odd to me. Shaheen has potential, so if Miller can stay healthy, we have a better TE corps than last year.

OL -

Tom Compton

Jordan Morgan

Seems like we are hoping on health for this group, and improvement from Massie and Leno. Slightly better because Compton is a stud swing tackle.

DL -

John Jenkins

Not much done on the line and we have no new LB's, so the front-7 is basically unchanged.

CB -

Prince Amukamara

Marcus Cooper

With the cutting of Porter, and the addition of these two, CB's have improved exponentially since last year. I think Cooper is going to be one of those stealthy impact acquisitions.

S -

Quintin Demps

Eddie Jackson

Demps is a lock for one spot, and I can see Jackson pushing for playing time. The secondary is definitely better than last year.

Benny Cunningham is not a fullback. Also, there is no such thing as a "stud swing tackle", or if there is, Compton isn't it.

BW Webb may factor at CB.

Yeah, my bad, reading UDFA stuff about Stevenson (and dreaming).

Compton? Watch the Super Bowl, he came in and played great on the biggest stage.

Absolutely a great post stinger.

There's a lot to digest there, and you've done a great job of laying it all out there.

I feel a bit better about our situation after reading it. I'm down on our record, but up on our talent level. I think we still get 4-6 wins...but I think all the losses are really close. And I think we start seeing some big improvement on D, and some good improvement on O. I don't know how Glennon/Trubisky will ultimately play out...be it one is doing well, once gets injured...who knows? But, I'm really interested in camp and pre-season to see what these guys potentially have.

Evaluation is even hard for experts whose jobs are on the line for their choices.

Only 59% of the first round become starters. that's a high miss rate. 29% are busts.

the point is it's hard to know where the players are coming from but the bottom line is evaluating talent.

White-- has been injured but still has #1 WR traits. If he stays healthy we will know this answer.

Fabujuis-- a miss

Whitehair-- stud OL guy

Bullard-- jury is still out, that is why you cant judge a player in his first year, they develop at different paces.

Houston-Carlson-- probably just a STs guy but we actually dont have this answer yet.

Jackson-- a potenial steal in this years draft if he gets back to his 2015 level of play

Cohen-- a Sporles clone

Morgan-- a player they spent a week with, I would say he is a potential starter at OG.

By looking at this list, I would say he can evaluate talent, but we wont know for at least one more year.

We dont know where the talent will come from but I would say he will hit on two out of three on the players he choose.

Danny Trevathan ILB

Josh Sitton G 30

Bobby Massie RT

Jerrell Freeman ILB 30

Tracy Porter CB

Akiem Hicks DE

Zach Miller TE 32

Sherrick McManis CB

Mitch Unrein DT

Brian Hoyer QB

Ted Larsen G 29 -

Manuel Ramirez G

Omar Bolden FS

Sam Acho OLB

Chris Prosinski

Mike Glennon QB

Dion Sims TE 26

Marcus Cooper CB

Quintin Demps SS

Markus Wheaton WR

Prince Amukamara CB

Mark Sanchez QB

Kendall Wright WR

Tom Compton T

Christian Jones ILB

C.J. Wilson DE 30

Connor Barth K

John Jenkins DT

Johnthan Banks CB

Sam Acho OLB

Deonte Thompson

Benny Cunningham RB

Chris Prosinski

We wont know until the end of this year but i would say we upgraded our talent with these picks at a good value.

I think the team he is building is going to be very good but is still a year or maybe two away from being a very good team

QBs Glennon-Tribuski-Sanchez I would have to say this is a huge upgrade with the possibility of being great.

WRs White-Wright-Wheaton-Merideth-Randle-Braverman I would say this group could turn out to be very good

TEs Shaleen-Sims-Brown-Miller-Baunecker this group could turn out to be very good

OL Sitton-Long-Whitehair-Grasu-Morgan-Compton-Massie-Kush-Leno I think this is one of the team strengths

DL- Hicks-Goldman-Bullard-Unrien-Jenkins- I see a lot of potenial here with a couple of stars ( R-Harris has been beefing up and I see him becoming a 5T)

LBers Floyd-Acho-Young-Anderson-Timu-Freeman-Trevathan-Kithwatoski-McPhee-Jones this a very good looking group

CBs Fuller-Callahan-Porter-Akumurimra-Banks-Baushy-Cooper-LeBlanc-McMannis-Webb We are throwing a lot of darts at this position and I will bet it turns out to be very good.

Ss Amos-Bush-Jackson-Demps-D. Hall-Jones-Quarty-Proniski I see a proming ugrade in this area.

Our team has been totally rebuilt and still may need a year or two to show its potential.

I think Pace has put this roster in a position to start winning this year. Until it gets all thrown together, we have a hard time seeing it from this side of the fence.

There will be a lot of good hits and some that dont work out but I am very optimistic.

TEs- totally upgrades our running game and red zone scoring, this could be one of our stengths

RB- We have Howard with Langford backing him up, also Cunningham and Cohen as 3rd down backs , this could be a very exciting offense if Cohen turns into Sporles

OL this is going to be one of our strengths and if Morgan is sneaky good with Grasu being solid, I can see us moving Whitehair out to Lenos spot.

Front 7-- Hicks-Goldman-McPhee-Freeman-Trevathan-Floyd all star types Young-Bullard-Robnson-Harris---Jenkins- Barring injuries I think our D arrives, top 8

Backside- I think Cooper-Demps-Jackson-D. Hall-Prince A-Callahan-LeBlanc-Banks-Amos completes our D. turns out well.

Surprises this year:

Offense becomes a power team with 2 TEs sets . White and Merideth shine, TE becomes a strength. Howard star and Cohen turns into Sproles.

Fabujuis-- a miss

Whitehair-- stud OL guy

Cohen-- a Sporles clone

Danny Trevathan ILB

Josh Sitton G 30

Bobby Massie RT

Jerrell Freeman ILB 30

Tracy Porter CB

Akiem Hicks DE

Zach Miller TE 32

Sherrick McManis CB

Mitch Unrein DT

Brian Hoyer QB

Ted Larsen G 29 -

Manuel Ramirez G

Omar Bolden FS

Sam Acho OLB

Chris Prosinski

Mike Glennon QB

Dion Sims TE 26

Marcus Cooper CB

Quintin Demps SS

Markus Wheaton WR

Prince Amukamara CB

Mark Sanchez QB

Kendall Wright WR

Tom Compton T

Christian Jones ILB

C.J. Wilson DE 30

Connor Barth K

John Jenkins DT

Johnthan Banks CB

Sam Acho OLB

Deonte Thompson

Benny Cunningham RB

Chris Prosinski

Surprises this year:

Wasn't McManis here before Pace came?

Absolutely a great post stinger.

There's a lot to digest there, and you've done a great job of laying it all out there.

I feel a bit better about our situation after reading it. I'm down on our record, but up on our talent level. I think we still get 4-6 wins...but I think all the losses are really close. And I think we start seeing some big improvement on D, and some good improvement on O. I don't know how Glennon/Trubisky will ultimately play out...be it one is doing well, once gets injured...who knows? But, I'm really interested in camp and pre-season to see what these guys potentially have.

I'm in the optimistic group. And second Mad's thank you to Stinger for putting it down. This seems like Pace has definitely taken a risky path, but hell, we've been crap as a team for years, so I'm ready to accept some chances to move to the next level.

Cmon Ryan. Admit it, your draft sucked so please do something positive and get rid of Sanchez before he actually has to soil a Bears uniform.

Look at the thought I put into the original post and then look at your thought process and you will understand why I find you amusing. Keep it up.

I'm in the optimistic group. And second Mad's thank you to Stinger for putting it down. This seems like Pace has definitely taken a risky path, but hell, we've been crap as a team for years, so I'm ready to accept some chances to move to the next level.

Over the years we have had plenty to complain about, Pace has balls, he has completely remade the roster, unfortunately that is not a quick fix. This year is the time to start seeing what the last two years transactions have produced. I think last year should have shown improvement but the injuries derailed us and we start thinking our leaders suck. I seen a stat where we lead the league in starters missed by injuries. So I am optimistic but always cautious, but i really believe this year everything comes together.

Why?

We have a very good OL.

One of the top 5 RBs in the league.

They have thrown a lot of resources at QB and will see the fruits of that effort.

I suspect White will finally stay healthy and prove his lofty draft status this year.

The defense is starting to take shape, Hicks, Goldman, Freeman, McPhee, Floyd, Travathan.

He invested in the back of the D this year, Cooper, Demps, Jackson, LeBlanc,, Prince , Banks ,give it some time to gel.

Young guys taking a step forward; Bullard-D. Hall-Bush--Robinson-Harris.

Shaheen and Cohen will contribute right away.

Over the years we have had plenty to complain about, Pace has balls, he has completely remade the roster, unfortunately that is not a quick fix. This year is the time to start seeing what the last two years transactions have produced. I think last year should have shown improvement but the injuries derailed us and we start thinking our leaders suck. I seen a stat where we lead the league in starters missed by injuries. So I am optimistic but always cautious, but i really believe this year everything comes together.

Why?

We have a very good OL.

They have thrown a lot of resources at QB and will see the fruits of that effort.

I suspect White will finally stay healthy and prove his lofty draft status this year.

The defense is starting to take shape, Hicks, Goldman, Freeman, McPhee, Floyd, Travathan.

He invested in the back of the D this year, Cooper, Demps, Jackson, LeBlanc,, Prince , Banks ,give it some time to gel.

One other thing to consider is we still have cap space left, so there is potential for some more wheeling and dealing. Eddie Royal is an easy cut at $5 mil cap savings and there are some other players they could move (Houston, Miller, etc) for more space.

One other thing to consider is we still have cap space left, so there is potential for some more wheeling and dealing. Eddie Royal is an easy cut at $5 mil cap savings and there are some other players they could move (Houston, Miller, etc) for more space.

I totally think we still have some players to get rid of and players to add.

Royal-Houston , possibly Miller , will be gone.

I think we could add Jaye Howard , 5T that KC dropped, been in Vegas, so maybe I didnt notice if he got picked up.

I totally think we still have some players to get rid of and players to add.

Royal-Houston , possibly Miller , will be gone.

I think we could add Jaye Howard , 5T that KC dropped, been in Vegas, so maybe I didnt notice if he got picked up.

He failed a physical, so he has medical issues. If those aren't too serious, then that would be a nice add to the DLine.

He failed a physical, so he has medical issues. If those aren't too serious, then that would be a nice add to the DLine.

Pace is taking a lot of heat for all of this, but I do not see the ship sinking. I think we are closer than everybody thinks. We were derailed last year because of injury. I think if we won 6 games, people would be taking a different opinion about the teams future.

We have players developing that will be better.

Even though the FA class didnt have a splash, I think it was an upgrade.

The key to this season is Glennon being a legitimate QB. He will be.

QB Glennon-Tribusky-Sanchez-Shaw If Glennon gets hurt, I dont believe they will play Mitch in his place. Our season will be derailed if Glennon is hurt and I think letting Mitch develop will be important.

RB Howard-Langford-Cunningham-Cohen This is a position of strength and I see Cohen having more of a Tyeek Hill affect more than a Sporles clone.

WR The key to this positon is White, I think he finally shines this year. Wright,Wheaton, Merideth, Braverman, Randle. This group will be fine.

TE Miller will play less and stay healthy, Shaheen will play but more a red zone target that we badly need. Sims will surprise by helping in the run game and being a good WR. I think Brown will make some plays.

OL With Long and Grasu being healthy, this is one of our stengths. Massie improved at the end of the year and Leno is acceptable. I still think Whitehair could move to LT a position he played in college.

DL Hicks and a healthy Goldman will be huge. You add Bullard being better in his second year and you have something going on. Jenkins, Unrien and a player to be named later, will be pleasant backups.

OLB McPhee will play less and be more effective and healthy. Floyd will be much better after putting on some weight and stength. Young still have some game and I see Robinson-Harris making some contribution.

ILB When Trevathan is back, Freeman, and Kwita, we have one of the teams stengths.

CB We have 11 CBs on the roster, and I think it will sort out with some players shining. Cooper, Prince A, Bausby, Banks, Callahan, LeBlanc.

Ss We have lots of bodies here to, I think it sorts itself out Demps,Jackson, Amos, Bush, D. Hall, we find some players in this group.

I think we will be much better this year, 8-10 wins. Not as far as a reach as everybody is saying.

Why?

We have a very good interior OL.

One of the top 5 RBs in the league. (Agree)

They have thrown a lot of resources at QB and will could see the fruits of that effort.

I suspect hope White will finally stay healthy and prove his lofty draft status this year.

The defense is starting to take shape, Hicks, Goldman, Freeman, McPhee, Floyd, Travathan. (Agree. Key word: starting)

He invested in the back of the D this year, Cooper, Demps, Jackson, LeBlanc,, Prince, Banks, give it some time to gel. (Agree. Still questionable at FS)

Young guys hopefully taking a step forward; Bullard-D. Hall-Bush--Robinson-Harris.

Shaheen and Cohen will might contribute right away. (Both have to fight for reps)

Fixed some of those for you.

One of the top 5 RBs in the league. (Agree)

They have thrown a lot of resources at QB and will could see the fruits of that effort.

I suspect hope White will finally stay healthy and prove his lofty draft status this year.

The defense is starting to take shape, Hicks, Goldman, Freeman, McPhee, Floyd, Travathan. (Agree. Key word: starting)

He invested in the back of the D this year, Cooper, Demps, Jackson, LeBlanc,, Prince, Banks, give it some time to gel. (Agree. Still questionable at FS)

Young guys hopefully taking a step forward; Bullard-D. Hall-Bush--Robinson-Harris.

Shaheen and Cohen will might contribute right away. (Both have to fight for reps)

Fixed some of those for you.

Sitting here today, I am a true Bears fan and have to be optimistic. Why bad mouth everything we do? So we can say we were right? I prefer to think Pace can evaluate talent this will end up being a good draft.

Sitting here today, I am a true Bears fan and have to be optimistic. Why bad mouth everything we do? So we can say we were right? I prefer to think Pace can evaluate talent this will end up being a good draft.

The way I see it is, until there is sustained excellence we should question every move. Specifically because we are true Bears' fans. And since the Bears haven't been consistently good for quite some time, it's understandable that we'd question the drafts. Year after year we question the drafts, and year after year we hear platitudes like "It takes 2-3 years to evaluate the draft," or "Whatever, couch GM, these guys know what they're doing." And it repeats over and over, with each GM and coach.

It would be different if the drafts were following semi-conventional wisdom. But every year there are 2-3 picks where everyone has no freaking clue what the Bears are thinking. If the Bears' fans on this board all come to a general consensus about what the team's overall needs are, I'd expect that to be pretty close to what the team drafts. This year we were heavily split on QB, so that's an understandable difference, but the rest is difficult to explain. And it feels like so many years in the past where if the team just followed what the consensus generally thinks, the team would be better off.

The way I see it is, until there is sustained excellence we should question every move. Specifically because we are true Bears' fans. And since the Bears haven't been consistently good for quite some time, it's understandable that we'd question the drafts. Year after year we question the drafts, and year after year we hear platitudes like "It takes 2-3 years to evaluate the draft," or "Whatever, couch GM, these guys know what they're doing." And it repeats over and over, with each GM and coach.

agree to a point. we do need to question them but how in the world can you evaluate most players in one year? if that's the case you would cut nearly every draft pick and pick the same position year after year.

It would be different if the drafts were following semi-conventional wisdom. But every year there are 2-3 picks where everyone has no freaking clue what the Bears are thinking. If the Bears' fans on this board all come to a general consensus about what the team's overall needs are, I'd expect that to be pretty close to what the team drafts. This year we were heavily split on QB, so that's an understandable difference, but the rest is difficult to explain. And it feels like so many years in the past where if the team just followed what the consensus generally thinks, the team would be better off.

huh? nearly everyone on this site had been piping up to draft a tight end because it was so deep/talented this year. isn't that what they did?? draft one of the better TE's on the board that FIT our system and scheme?

didn't nearly everyone on this board want us to draft a DB/S at #3? well we supposedly got maybe the third best safety in the draft in the fourth round. isn't that easy to explain?

we got arguably the best QB in the draft and gave up a 3rd and 4th round pick to do it? how is that unexplainable?

we have the potential for a very good change of pace RB to help our QB situation by running the football, we picked up a good offensive lineman (which is another thing everyone wanted) at a bargain price who needs some time to develop.

so where is the problem? just the players we picked weren't ones you wanted in the order you wanted them?

like any draft pick, none may turn out to be good. time will tell. but to slam a GM before his picks have had time to be realistically evaluated is pretty narrow minded. if over a three to five year period his top picks nearly ALL are out of the NFL for lack of talent then is the time to call for a change.

agree to a point. we do need to question them but how in the world can you evaluate most players in one year? if that's the case you would cut nearly every draft pick and pick the same position year after year.

huh? nearly everyone on this site had been piping up to draft a tight end because it was so deep/talented this year. isn't that what they did?? draft one of the better TE's on the board that FIT our system and scheme?

didn't nearly everyone on this board want us to draft a DB/S at #3? well we supposedly got maybe the third best safety in the draft in the fourth round. isn't that easy to explain?

we got arguably the best QB in the draft and gave up a 3rd and 4th round pick to do it? how is that unexplainable?

we have the potential for a very good change of pace RB to help our QB situation by running the football, we picked up a good offensive lineman (which is another thing everyone wanted) at a bargain price who needs some time to develop.

so where is the problem? just the players we picked weren't ones you wanted in the order you wanted them?

like any draft pick, none may turn out to be good. time will tell. but to slam a GM before his picks have had time to be realistically evaluated is pretty narrow minded. if over a three to five year period his top picks nearly ALL are out of the NFL for lack of talent then is the time to call for a change.

I won't argue the point for point, but your last comment sums it all up. We've heard the same thing for 20ish years. If we've been questioning things for 20ish years, then maybe we're not far off in our evaluation of Bears' drafts, and players they would have been better off drafting? Sure, we don't know anything about this year. These guys might be awesome in 2019. However, feel free to bring up one of the drafts a few years after it was done, with what others wanted instead of who the Bears picked. I'm positive (because I've looked it up over the course of the board) our overall results would be comparable or better than the Bears' picks. And those picks were ones, like this year, that were highly questioned. Nobody is 100%, but the Bears have had a horrible history of drafting.

There have been very few picks over the course of the years this board has been going (and the previous board) that nearly all have said, "Hey, great pick!" Alshon Jeffery was a near 100% consensus. Most seem to be pretty happy about the Eddie Jackson pick this year. Otherwise, it's year after year of questionable picks, and year after year of people saying "wait a few years before you slam the GM."