Bears signed DE Akiem Hicks to a four-year, $48 million extension

adam

Bears signed DE Akiem Hicks to a four-year, $48 million extension.

The deal comes with $30 million guaranteed. It's a huge pay day for Hicks, with the $12 million AAV placing him behind only Muhammad Wilkerson, J.J. Watt and Jurrell Casey among 3-4 defensive ends. Hicks set a career high seven sacks last season and is one of the better run stoppers in the league. Chicago clearly views Hicks as a building block and didn't want to risk losing him in a contract year. Hicks is now signed through 2021.

I really hope he stays as dominant as he has looked for the life of the contract.

Now the Bears have 3 players signed thru 2021: Long, Leno, and Hicks.

These are some good foundation players going forward. Wouldn't it be interesting to see Leno play longer than Long given Longs recent injury history? Hope it doesn't work out that way.

Wasn't sure about Hicks when Pace brought him over but after hearing how much his mom is a fan of the Bears and how well he plays I'm glad to be wrong about him.

These are some good foundation players going forward. Wouldn't it be interesting to see Leno play longer than Long given Longs recent injury history? Hope it doesn't work out that way.

Wasn't sure about Hicks when Pace brought him over but after hearing how much his mom is a fan of the Bears and how well he plays I'm glad to be wrong about him.

I like Leno, but he needs to start taking big steps in the average curve. We have a huge investment he is being paid to protect now.

After seeing the final numbers I really like this deal. Cap hits of $10mil/yr for 2017-2019 seasons. Then it moves up to $12mil/yr.

https://overthecap.com/player/akiem-hicks/1472

Cap space next year is $42mil. Plenty of room for Pace to work with and bring in a couple good FAs. Look down the road into 2019 he has $91mil available so very few long term commitments and lots of roster flexibility. Ideally some of our younger players like Goldman, Cam Meredith, and Howard, will earn some of that cap space.

Might you know who could be on the FA market next season in regard to WR's and DB's?

After seeing the final numbers I really like this deal. Cap hits of $10mil/yr for 2017-2019 seasons. Then it moves up to $12mil/yr.

https://overthecap.com/player/akiem-hicks/1472

Cap space next year is $42mil. Plenty of room for Pace to work with and bring in a couple good FAs. Look down the road into 2019 he has $91mil available so very few long term commitments and lots of roster flexibility. Ideally some of our younger players like Goldman, Cam Meredith, and Howard, will earn some of that cap space.

Yikes, when you look at WR and CB only, it's a little thin next year. Aside from Fitz there really aren't any truly talented WRs in the top half money-wise. And one of the highest priced CBs, Amukamura, is not only already on the team ... he has yet to play. -sigh-

I did see Devonte Adams (currently of the Fudge Packers) down the list a-ways. That would be nice 'grudge' signing...if possible. Kinda like having Sitton on the team and still playing well.

Yikes, when you look at WR and CB only, it's a little thin next year. Aside from Fitz there really aren't any truly talented WRs in the top half money-wise. And one of the highest priced CBs, Amukamura, is not only already on the team ... he has yet to play. -sigh-

I did see Devonte Adams (currently of the Fudge Packers) down the list a-ways. That would be nice 'grudge' signing...if possible. Kinda like having Sitton on the team and still playing well.

I think we will be building through the draft more than free agency.

Also, I can see the type of unrestricted free agents we look at being younger guys that might have an upside.

That said, I expect Glennon will be trade bait next year, so anything is possible.

Yeah...slim pickens...

Thanks for the assist, I was working through the night. I would say don't sleep on Allen Robinson. He may very well want to get out of Jacksonville and they don't have a lot of cap space. They may just want to invest elsewhere with their limited money, or use the draft to find a replacement. Tagging Robinson would consume their entire cap space and limit any FA activity. On top of all that, everyone knows JAX will be looking for a new QB next year but they might be good enough this year to play themselves out of the top 10 picks.

This would be a bit of a risky signing for Pace with Robinson now missing the 2017 season with a torn ACL. That also means his market value will be lower and, perhaps more importantly to Pace, he won't command as much guaranteed money in his deal. He hit 1400 yards his 2nd season but fell off to just 883 yds last year when Bortles was struggling. Robinson has been durable his first three seasons. If he is a FA, having a good young QB like Trubisky could help entice him to sign here, and he'll have a solid running game to take pressure off him as well. I haven't watched many Jaguars' games (who has?) but in terms of skills he probably compares well to Jeffrey but is a more fluid in his movement skills.

Thanks for the assist, I was working through the night. I would say don't sleep on Allen Robinson. He may very well want to get out of Jacksonville and they don't have a lot of cap space. They may just want to invest elsewhere with their limited money, or use the draft to find a replacement. Tagging Robinson would consume their entire cap space and limit any FA activity. On top of all that, everyone knows JAX will be looking for a new QB next year but they might be good enough this year to play themselves out of the top 10 picks.

This would be a bit of a risky signing for Pace with Robinson now missing the 2017 season with a torn ACL. That also means his market value will be lower and, perhaps more importantly to Pace, he won't command as much guaranteed money in his deal. He hit 1400 yards his 2nd season but fell off to just 883 yds last year when Bortles was struggling. Robinson has been durable his first three seasons. If he is a FA, having a good young QB like Trubisky could help entice him to sign here, and he'll have a solid running game to take pressure off him as well. I haven't watched many Jaguars' games (who has?) but in terms of skills he probably compares well to Jeffrey but is a more fluid in his movement skills.

sounds good!

I am leery of signing any skill position player coming off an ACL or Achilles injury. Very rarely do they return to form.

Achilles injuries might be tougher than ACL injuries but these days unless there is structural damage the ligaments and joints seem to heal well with no long term affects. Robinson has enough time to recover that the Bears should know when FA rolls around how well he is healing. He wouldn't be ready until training camp. If the doc says he's ok, and Robinson appears to do diligent in his rehab, I'd be willing to take a risk. He might sign for a good 1 yr deal that allows him back into FA. Or perhaps Pace does a 2yr deal like he did with Hicks that takes the middle ground for both sides.

I don't think it's likely but if Gentry steps up consistently by the end of the season then Pace may be content to just add another rookie WR to the mix. That's a big if. Without that we need at least one decent veteran for stability at WR next year.

• 1 month later...
Right now with 7 sacks through 8 games this deal is looking like a bargain.

Sure looks that way, he has been a beast for us, and he's making life easier for our LB's, he's a force on his own but his play frees up other playmakers. Glad we locked him up for at least the next 4 years. He makes our D better.