Tanner Gentry released and back on the PS

adam

They are going to put him back on the practice squad. I assumes this means Wheaton is ready to go this week.

Peace :dabears

or activate a Safety:

Bears waive WR Tanner Gentry, promote S DeAndre Houston-Carson from practice squad to active roster.

We have 3 WR's on the active roster (Wright, Bellamy, and Thompson).

This staff is baffling. Gentry has as much or more skill than Bellamy, and definitely has more upside.

I agree but that doesn't mean he knows the plays as well. Bellamy can work from multiple positions on the field. When Meredith eventually was brought up to the 53 his rookie year it was because he had become comfortable with much of the playbook as well.

This staff is baffling. Gentry has as much or more skill than Bellamy, and definitely has more upside.

Fox considers Bellamy one of his special teams aces. Gentry had a personal foul on special teams. This is why Gentry is going back to practice squad for now.

Fox considers Bellamy one of his special teams aces. Gentry had a personal foul on special teams. This is why Gentry is going back to practice squad for now.

I don't like the Special Teams argument. Why does ST even matter if your offense sucks? You should improve your offense and defense first, then improve ST's. ST should not be a priority.

I agree but that doesn't mean he knows the plays as well. Bellamy can work from multiple positions on the field. When Meredith eventually was brought up to the 53 his rookie year it was because he had become comfortable with much of the playbook as well.

What does it matter that Bellamy can work from multiple positions if he can't catch? That's like saying someone who just jumped out of a plane is really good at packing parachutes but can't skydive.

It's not like Gentry is a moron, or hasn't played in an offense before in college football. Gameplans are minimized for numerous players year after year. There is no reason why they can't do the same for a rookie WR until the entire playbook is absorbed.

Gentry running the wrong route here and there is acceptable as long as he catches everything thrown his way. Which, by all indications, he has. Bellamy on the other hand, has serious drop issues, and can't be trusted no matter how wide open he gets.

I don't know if he definitely has more upside. Bellamy is a good special teams player being asked to play receiver. He isn't a good receiver. We shouldn't cut him because of his WR gaffes, but we should recognize that he shouldn't be at receiver. Unfortunately, he does need to play wideout right now. In terms of Gentry, he had a drop and a bad penalty. I think we all hope he is some diamond in the rough but think of everyone who bashed the org for not playing Braverman...well, reality was he just wasn't very good (at wideout or special teams).

In Gentry's case, I think this has more to do with Wheaton actually being solid, who they are replacing, and knowing that they can probably stash Gentry on practice squad while he continues to develop and learn the full route tree. I do think Gentry has a chance to be a surprise though (so I'm not bashing him) but I also don't we can blatantly just assume he has way more upside.

I don't know if he definitely has more upside. Bellamy is a good special teams player being asked to play receiver. He isn't a good receiver. We shouldn't cut him because of his WR gaffes, but we should recognize that he shouldn't be at receiver. Unfortunately, he does need to play wideout right now. In terms of Gentry, he had a drop and a bad penalty. I think we all hope he is some diamond in the rough but think of everyone who bashed the org for not playing Braverman...well, reality was he just wasn't very good (at wideout or special teams).

In Gentry's case, I think this has more to do with Wheaton actually being solid, who they are replacing, and knowing that they can probably stash Gentry on practice squad while he continues to develop and learn the full route tree. I do think Gentry has a chance to be a surprise though (so I'm not bashing him) but I also don't we can blatantly just assume he has way more upside.

Bellamy has catching issues but he's the only receiver who gets open. He runs good routes and that's why I think he has a job. Just hoping he improves on actually catching the ball!

Bellamy has catching issues but he's the only receiver who gets open. He runs good routes and that's why I think he has a job. Just hoping he improves on actually catching the ball!

Yep. You are absolutely right. The only other one i see promise out of the current active WRs is Deonte Thompson...when he plays with Trubisky.

Yep. You are absolutely right. The only other one i see promise out of the current active WRs is Deonte Thompson...when he plays with Trubisky.

If we can get our passing game going beyond 10 yards from the LOS then we will like Cohen in the slot a great deal. I don't see this happening until Trubisky takes over. Even if Wheaton can get open deep Glennon is too inaccurate to make consistent plays. Defenses will risk giving up one big play in a game to smother our running game and short passing game.