Cap Space revisited

adam

2018 Cap Space

$47.8

Cap Savings cuts

$11.5 Glennon (no point paying him this much for a coin toss)

$8 Sitton (depends on health, but I think $8 mil in cap space will be spent better elsewhere)

$7 McPhee (injuries limit him too much)

$5.6 Sims (I know some like him, but he is not worth over $5mil as a blocking TE)

$5.6 Massie (can't imagine paying Massie to whiff on anymore DE's)

$5 Wheaton (basically a million per reception)

$4.5 Cooper (a FA bust, I had high hopes, but he was horrible and that TD blunder was icing on the cake)

$3.2 Demps (with the emergence of the dynamic duo, I would only keep him for his veteran presence, cap hit is not too big)

$50.4

Potential to have $98.2 after cuts

Can't see why we would not lock up Fuller and guys like Wright and Acho. We have a ton a space to make some huge FA acquisitions.

2018 Cap Space

$47.8

Cap Savings cuts

$8 Sitton (depends on health, but I think $8 mil in cap space will be spent better elsewhere)

$5.6 Sims (I know some like him, but he is not worth over $5mil as a blocking TE)

$4.5 Cooper (a FA bust, I had high hopes, but he was horrible and that TD blunder was icing on the cake)

$3.2 Demps (with the emergence of the dynamic duo, I would only keep him for his veteran presence, cap hit is not too big)

$50.4

Can't see why we would not lock up Fuller and guys like Wright and Acho. We have a ton a space to make some huge FA acquisitions.

I agree with Glennon, McPhee, Wheaton, Cooper, and Demps.

Massie isn't going anywhere. We need his replacement on the roster but there is no need to create a big hole right now. I'd say that if we have two good OTs in training camp and preseason then he'd be a candidate as a late cut. Plus his replacement is likely going to cost more and that takes away from filling in positions we really need to focus on like CB and WR.

Sitton is in the same spot as Massie. We need him and his replacement isn't clear. Our Oline is not horrible when it's all together. Sacks will be down next year when Trubisky is more comfortable with the NFL.

I feel the same way about Sims although his replacement is already on the roster, we will still be a running team next year and he's a good inline blocker. I think we'll come back with Sims, Shaheen, and Brown, followed by Braunecker.

Cooper was not a bad signing IMO. He was insurance at CB with some potential upside and ended up filling the spot I felt he would: Backup CB. That's not worth $4.5mil next year but we'll need to sort out who is staying. I'm already on board saying we should just bring back both Fuller and Amukamara with a Rd 1-3 rookie taking Cooper's spot. We need to bring back Callahan too and find a replacement late in the draft for LeBlanc. We will be spending about $20-25mil to secure the CB spots depending on who we go after: Fuller $10mil, Amukamara or similar $7-8mil, Callahan $2-3mil, rookie $4mil-$1mil depending on round selected.

2018 Cap Space

$47.8

Cap Savings cuts

$50.4

First of all, I think Sims has value in a system that is QB friendly. Yes he is over paid, but look at the injuries at that position, we going into next year with Shaheen and who?

Also we need to resign our leading tackler this year, Christian Jones, so valuable filling in at both ILB and OLB.

Yeah I agree on Sitton, I just think he is solely a health based decision. If healthy, he stays, if not, I think they move on.

Massie? He is arguably the worst RT in the league. He has accounted for more sacks than any other OL on the team. A tackling dummy is harder to get around.

Honestly, the entire list save one person is fine with me. But there is no way in hell I'd cut Sitton. If healthy, he's probably the third best player on the entire offense behind Howard and Long.

I'm with you on keeping Sitton. Who knows how Long will return after another surgery. I would also keep Sims, I think the upside is still out there once the o Line gets patched and we find a #1 WR.

I'm with you on keeping Sitton. Who knows how Long will return after another surgery. I would also keep Sims, I think the upside is still out there once the o Line gets patched and we find a #1 WR.

He was our best OLineman this year. Long? Massie gone, have to bring him back and groom Morgan to take his place in 2019.

2018 Cap Space

$47.8

Cap Savings cuts

$50.4

Freeman didn't make the list because we all forgot about him. He's definitely gone and will save about $3.5mil cap space.

Another possible name to consider is Willie Young. I think we should hold onto Willie but I don't know the extent of his injury (torn tricep) and if there will be any lingering performance issues. Free Agency isn't full of starting quality OLB but Pace could elect to rebuild the depth with younger players. Trent Murphy will be available and he's had 9 sacks this year, but just 3.5 and 2.5 his first two seasons. He might fit Pace's preference to target ascending young players who haven't made their name yet. The Redskins have cap space with $53mil in 2018 but they have a rather expensive QB problem to sort out among other position concerns.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/washington-redskins/

Freeman didn't make the list because we all forgot about him. He's definitely gone and will save about $3.5mil cap space.

Another possible name to consider is Willie Young. I think we should hold onto Willie but I don't know the extent of his injury (torn tricep) and if there will be any lingering performance issues. Free Agency isn't full of starting quality OLB but Pace could elect to rebuild the depth with younger players. Trent Murphy will be available and he's had 9 sacks this year, but just 3.5 and 2.5 his first two seasons. He might fit Pace's preference to target ascending young players who haven't made their name yet. The Redskins have cap space with $53mil in 2018 but they have a rather expensive QB problem to sort out among other position concerns.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/washington-redskins/

As I look at contracts, Pace definitely makes mistakes but the one thing he does is front load contracts, everyone that didnt live up to expectations has a cheap out.

I think we may bring Houston back and Jones. Jones can play either and is a valuable backup. I suspect it depends on who our DC is next year, hopefully its Fangio, but no one knows.

One player that did not pan out is Junior Galette in Wash, I wonder if we can bring him in cheap and revive his career. He was very productive in NO.

I wasn't aware of this...

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/making-...-for-new-coach/

"OLB Willie Young

2018 cap hit: $5.4 million.

Dead money: $900,000.

The Bears need pass rushers, but Young (torn triceps) will turn 33 in September. He also no longer has a locker at Halas Hall. That’s not a good sign. The Bears have remained a top-10 defense without him."

As I look at contracts, Pace definitely makes mistakes but the one thing he does is front load contracts, everyone that didnt live up to expectations has a cheap out.

I think we may bring Houston back and Jones. Jones can play either and is a valuable backup. I suspect it depends on who our DC is next year, hopefully its Fangio, but no one knows.

One player that did not pan out is Junior Galette in Wash, I wonder if we can bring him in cheap and revive his career. He was very productive in NO.

To get those 1yr deals, or even the deals that are effectively 1yr (i.e. Demps), he typically has to overpay players. It drives us crazy but I think he's quite comfortable working in that space knowing he has lots of roster and cap flexibility year after year while he primarily builds through the draft.

To get those 1yr deals, or even the deals that are effectively 1yr (i.e. Demps), he typically has to overpay players. It drives us crazy but I think he's quite comfortable working in that space knowing he has lots of roster and cap flexibility year after year while he primarily builds through the draft.

I'm happy with the cap flexibility he's created and though he has missed badly in FA none of those deals are crippling. He's attempted to build through the draft but sadly his draft record isn't all that good either. There are several players that we like but need to see more before we can say he hit on them. And I don't look at the rookies yet. Any of these guys could be 1 hit wonders. Need to see him draft guys and be able to extend those guys into a 2nd contract

I wasn't aware of this...

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/making-...-for-new-coach/

"OLB Willie Young

2018 cap hit: $5.4 million.

Dead money: $900,000.

The Bears need pass rushers, but Young (torn triceps) will turn 33 in September. He also no longer has a locker at Halas Hall. That’s not a good sign. The Bears have remained a top-10 defense without him."

I looked at over the cap website and this is what it shows for his contract. 4.5 would be the cap saving not the cap hit

Current Contract

Year Age Base Salary (Guaranteed) Bonuses Cap

Number Cap %

Dead Money & Cap Savings

Prorated Roster Workout Other

2016 31 $800,000 $3,100,000 $1,566,668 $2,300,000 $50,000 $0 $4,716,668 3.0%

2017 32 $1,000,000 $2,200,000 $900,000 $2,200,000 $0 $0 $4,100,000 2.5%

$4,000,000

$100,000

2018 33 $3,500,000 $900,000 $1,000,000 $0 $0 $5,400,000 3.0% $900,000 $4,500,000

Total $5,300,000 $3,366,668 $5,500,000 $50,000 $0 $14,216,668

5.4 mil is what he would be paid if left on the roster

Yeah I agree on Sitton, I just think he is solely a health based decision. If healthy, he stays, if not, I think they move on.

Massie? He is arguably the worst RT in the league. He has accounted for more sacks than any other OL on the team. A tackling dummy is harder to get around.

I'll add that a tackling dummy does not commit holding or false starts either!

exactly, and why it's wrong to judge Pace when these FA stop gap players dont turn into longterm starters. They were never meant to. They just fill holes while the roster fills with draftees.