McPhee cut

jason

So slowly but surely the team is ridding itself of poor FA choices made by Pace?

Free Agency isn't full of gems. Often times, especially with second tier players, you need to sign someone who you dont think is going to be awesome.

In those cases, the question is the contract they sign. If they get paid like a major star, then you can blame the GM. But Pace has signed these players to very friendly deals, that allow him to cut them.

These arent failures, they, like Fox, were stepping stones from awful to decent.

If you think youre gonna get a hall of famer for $5mil a year, then Id say your expectations are too high.

Teams are built during the draft, and when you have a team that was in the hole we were in, and you HAVE to pick Free Agents, then the question is the contracts, not the players.

Free Agency isn't full of gems. Often times, especially with second tier players, you need to sign someone who you dont think is going to be awesome.

In those cases, the question is the contract they sign. If they get paid like a major star, then you can blame the GM. But Pace has signed these players to very friendly deals, that allow him to cut them.

These arent failures, they, like Fox, were stepping stones from awful to decent.

If you think youre gonna get a hall of famer for $5mil a year, then Id say your expectations are too high.

Teams are built during the draft, and when you have a team that was in the hole we were in, and you HAVE to pick Free Agents, then the question is the contracts, not the players.

For the sake of arguement, I would think if I payed a player $5 million / year he’d do better than what both McPhee and Demps have done in Chicago the last year or two. The average salary in the NFL is roughly $1.9 million. *Forbes. And for context, until last year stud Akiem Hicks was averaging ~$3.9 million / year. So ‘yes’, I’d say if a player is getting about $5 million per, he should be producing. And the GM should be properly identifying the players that are capable of earning it.

You remember this is the same guy that let AJ go to a Super Bowl Team last year in exchange for players like Wheaton, White and Bellamy.

For the sake of arguement, I would think if I payed a player $5 million / year he’d do better than what both McPhee and Demps have done in Chicago the last year or two. The average salary in the NFL is roughly $1.9 million. *Forbes. And for context, until last year stud Akiem Hicks was averaging ~$3.9 million / year. So ‘yes’, I’d say if a player is getting about $5 million per, he should be producing. And the GM should be properly identifying the players that are capable of earning it.

You remember this is the same guy that let AJ go to a Super Bowl Team last year in exchange for players like Wheaton, White and Bellamy.

He let Alshon go because Alshon didn't want to be here.

You can't make free agents good if there arent any, and you cant leave your depleted team with holes unaddressed. Pace has been clear that you build through the draft. He's increased the talent level consistently.

Its as if someone thinks a world class poker player can cause the cards to come to him or her. They cant. They are good because over time they make the right bets, and dont throw away too much money on the bad bets. In this game thats FUTURE CAP SPACE. He didnt sign any of those guys to deals that he couldnt get out of.

hes doing very well.

So slowly but surely the team is ridding itself of poor FA choices made by Pace?

I think McPhee was a good FA choice. Demps was mainly a 1yr stopgap. He largely prefers to fill out the roster with 2nd/3rd tier FAs with high salary (higher than we'd like to see) but minimal risk for the team. He's not afraid to go after some longer term deals either as he offered Jeffrey more than any other team, and likewise with Bouye last year. Neither wanted to be here.

I think McPhee was a good FA choice. Demps was mainly a 1yr stopgap. He largely prefers to fill out the roster with 2nd/3rd tier FAs with high salary (higher than we'd like to see) but minimal risk for the team. He's not afraid to go after some longer term deals either as he offered Jeffrey more than any other team, and likewise with Bouye last year. Neither wanted to be here.

I read today that Ted Ginn Jr. was about to sign with the Bears last year but then decided to stay with the Saints.

Peace :dabears

I read today that Ted Ginn Jr. was about to sign with the Bears last year but then decided to stay with the Saints.

Peace :dabears

That was his speed WR instead of Wheaton. Last year with a lame duck HC, plus the losing record, I can see why some FA stayed away. This year with a new HC should be different. Players will know these coaches want them for several years (if we're offering a multi-year deal).

yes.