Hall of Fame game

jason

Javon Wims WR with a heck of a game. They won't be able to stash him on the PS. 

Fitts and Irving OLB made some noise getting after the QB.  Lynch needs to get healthy. I would like to see him resurrect his career and solidify the position.

Bullard and RRH played well at DT also. Both are fighting for the starting title. 

I only saw a very small piece of the game and what I did see was...well not so good, especially on offense.  That was due in large part to the Chase Daniels performance.  Wasn’t he brought to Chicago to join Nagy due to his familiarity with this type offense?  Yes he threw two interceptions and perhaps they were due in large part of the performance of others but many of his other throws (that I did see) were relative garbage.  Makes some sense why Helfrich said earlier this week:  “We’re nowhere-nowhere-near where we need to be.” 

Im stoked to see Wyms’ stat line and see what Ashkum had to say about him.  He’s a personal favorite of mine and would almost venture a guess that he’s going to surprise a lot of people; maybe even pass up a few others on the team. And Cunnigham continues to impress.  He’s an older version of what Cohen hopes to be someday. 🤓

Fitts and Irving looked good in the bit that I saw them.  Of those two, maybe the alter pass rusher to Floyd can be found? 

13 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Javon Wims WR with a heck of a game. They won't be able to stash him on the PS. 

Fitts and Irving OLB made some noise getting after the QB.  Lynch needs to get healthy. I would like to see him resurrect his career and solidify the position.

Bullard and RRH played well at DT also. Both are fighting for the starting title. 

Agree with all of these things. About the only comments I have related to the game to be honest.  Was good to see all of those things.  

12 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I only saw a very small piece of the game and what I did see was...well not so good, especially on offense.  That was due in large part to the Chase Daniels performance.  Wasn’t he brought to Chicago to join Nagy due to his familiarity with this type offense?  Yes he threw two interceptions and perhaps they were due in large part of the performance of others but many of his other throws (that I did see) were relative garbage.  Makes some sense why Helfrich said earlier this week:  “We’re nowhere-nowhere-near where we need to be.” 

Im stoked to see Wyms’ stat line and see what Ashkum had to say about him.  He’s a personal favorite of mine and would almost venture a guess that he’s going to surprise a lot of people; maybe even pass up a few others on the team. And Cunnigham continues to impress.  He’s an older version of what Cohen hopes to be someday. 🤓

Fitts and Irving looked good in the bit that I saw them.  Of those two, maybe the alter pass rusher to Floyd can be found? 

Daniels 1st pick had nothing to do with him. 2nd pick depends on who misread who, but overall when Daniels was protected (1st two drives especially), he looked good. Later on, Ravens had a pretty good pass rush and Bears struggled to move the ball. No major injuries and a few young players flashed...I'll take the game as a plus.  O'Donnell also had some really nice punts.  

I watched the game and tried to focus on a few players.   

Fitts ...  first off he's more stout taking on blocks than I expected.  Considering he was going against Orlando Brown Jr, who was considered a 1st Rd talent until he ran the slowest forty ever,  Fitts had reasonably good competition to evalaute his play.   I thought Fitts held his ground against the 6-8"  345lb RT and was able to use his speed to his advantage at times.  It did appear as though Fitts had little pass rush plan at the snap but that's pretty much any rookie pass rusher.  He looked agile in coverage too, able to turn and run.  Overall he belongs on an NFL field and has some good long term potential.  

Irving ... it's hard to remember him from last year but it appears he's in better shape and a bit quicker off the snap.  I don't recall much variation in pass rush as he seemed to rely on his speed to win the edge.  When he won the edge he turned the corner but when engaged with the OT he offered little.  He too has much work to do on his pass rush techniques but felt like he might be able to contribute in a backup role this year.  Between him and Fitts I give Fitts the edge at this point in time but that's mostly because I see him having more potential.

RRH vs. Bullard...  Only  noticed a couple plays by RRH and his bull rush for a sack IMO showed a lot of growth on that technique versus last year.  For Bullard, all I can say is that against this level of competition I wish he would have been more noticeable.   The camp battle continues.  

Wims... looks great on contested catches but unlike most I wish he didn't have to make so many contested catches.  Outside of scheme getting him open I saw little to no separation and this was against players who won't be in the NFL this year.   Tanner Gentry has the same issues but Wims is better going up high for the ball.  Despite all the hype I still predict Wims makes the practice squad.   Unless there is an injury, when it comes to WRs who is he going to beat for a roster spot?  When you get to the 5th spot he will not beat out Josh Bellamy.  People will say ah but he has better hands than Bellamy.  True but he clearly doesn't have the speed for coverage teams that Bellamy has.   

Nall... He looks a little slow in his cuts.  I did like how he handled pass protection blocks as he was tossing around blitzing DBs.  Need to see more to evalaute him.

Burton... It appears he worked on his agility this off-season because he seems a bit quicker in his cuts and he made at least one very difficult catch over his head, and almost had a second IIRC.  At least they are difficult for a FB in those huge pads he's wearing.   If the battle is between him and Nall for a roster spot it won't be settled until the end of preseason as it appears the coaches are giving Nall (based on his playing time) a good shot to learn the offense and let the best player win the job.  

Forgot to add that Bilal Nichols looks strong and he moved better than I expected.  How quickly he can grow his skills into those of an NFL player could prove interesting given the battle we have for RDE.  Or would the Bears keep him exclusively behind Hicks so Hicks get more snaps off?  

On 8/4/2018 at 12:36 AM, AZ54 said:

Wims... looks great on contested catches but unlike most I wish he didn't have to make so many contested catches.  Outside of scheme getting him open I saw little to no separation and this was against players who won't be in the NFL this year.   Tanner Gentry has the same issues but Wims is better going up high for the ball.  Despite all the hype I still predict Wims makes the practice squad.   Unless there is an injury, when it comes to WRs who is he going to beat for a roster spot?  When you get to the 5th spot he will not beat out Josh Bellamy.  People will say ah but he has better hands than Bellamy.  True but he clearly doesn't have the speed for coverage teams that Bellamy has.   

Realistically speaking what's to say Wims couldn't supplant a 2nd or 3rd seeded WR on the team?  Speaking as of 'right now' we don't know how well Robinson or White are going to do based on injury history alone.  Yes there is no doubt Robinson has shown he can perform in the NFL at an elite level (he did it for one season after all) but he's coming off a pretty significant injury on a body part that is a necessity in his position.  White has not only been injured in each of his first three years but each year its a new injury;  2015 - left tibia, 2016 -  left fibula and 2017 - left shoulder blade.  That being said, he has yet to prove his 1st round grading. 

And because I'm not as high on Miller as others, what's to say Wims couldn't be better?  How do the two compare in college?  The only advantage that I see Miller having was he played 1-2 years more in D1 than did Wims?  But an argument could  be made that not only did Wims play only one year at the D1 level, he played in the SEC.  Many would agree that in that division you are more likely to see NFL ready defensive players (let alone teams) than any other.  As far as measurables; both were invited to the Combine but only Wims produced (I didn't look to see why Miller didn't measure at the combine).  Miller did have his own pro-day in April so here are the 'comps' based on that.  Wims:  6'3"/215, 40 yard dash - 4.53, vertical jump - 33.5".  Miller:  5'11"/201, 40 yard dash - 4.50, vertical jump - 39". 

So Miller has more collegiate D1 experience.  Wims is taller and heavier (explains the lack of speed?), yet both ran a near identical 4.5 ish 40.  Miller does have a little more height in his vertical with nearly being able to leap a full half foot more than Wims.  At the end though NFL.com graded them pretty close at 5.79 for Miller and 5.28 for Wims (on a scale of 1-10).  For the sake of contrast, another fave of mine Calvin Ridley received a grade of 6.4.

Here is my take, the top 5 are in, the battle is at 6.

1. Robinson 

2. Gabriel

3. Miller

4. White

5. Wims

6. Bellamy/Fowler/Gentry

Bellamy has looked better catching and a ST standout, but a complete douche bag.

Fowler has not had a good showing so far. 

Gentry - Still growing as a player, does he have a higher ceiling?

As for ST standouts, it is time some of the younger DBs drafted shine here, like DeAndre Houston-Carson. He was supposed to be an ace on STs. Bush/Hall also. 

5 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Realistically speaking what's to say Wims couldn't supplant a 2nd or 3rd seeded WR on the team?  Speaking as of 'right now' we don't know how well Robinson or White are going to do based on injury history alone.  Yes there is no doubt Robinson has shown he can perform in the NFL at an elite level (he did it for one season after all) but he's coming off a pretty significant injury on a body part that is a necessity in his position.  White has not only been injured in each of his first three years but each year its a new injury;  2015 - left tibia, 2016 -  left fibula and 2017 - left shoulder blade.  That being said, he has yet to prove his 1st round grading. 

And because I'm not as high on Miller as others, what's to say Wims couldn't be better?  How do the two compare in college?  The only advantage that I see Miller having was he played 1-2 years more in D1 than did Wims?  But an argument could  be made that not only did Wims play only one year at the D1 level, he played in the SEC.  Many would agree that in that division you are more likely to see NFL ready defensive players (let alone teams) than any other.  As far as measurables; both were invited to the Combine but only Wims produced (I didn't look to see why Miller didn't measure at the combine).  Miller did have his own pro-day in April so here are the 'comps' based on that.  Wims:  6'3"/215, 40 yard dash - 4.53, vertical jump - 33.5".  Miller:  5'11"/201, 40 yard dash - 4.50, vertical jump - 39". 

So Miller has more collegiate D1 experience.  Wims is taller and heavier (explains the lack of speed?), yet both ran a near identical 4.5 ish 40.  Miller does have a little more height in his vertical with nearly being able to leap a full half foot more than Wims.  At the end though NFL.com graded them pretty close at 5.79 for Miller and 5.28 for Wims (on a scale of 1-10).  For the sake of contrast, another fave of mine Calvin Ridley received a grade of 6.4.

Nothing says Wims can't excel but there's been nothing from camp saying he's doing that consistently.  There's a ton of positive coverage on Miller beating Fuller and Amukamara at times, and all over the field.  Wims played ok against 3rd/4th string players from Baltimore and to be fair he's made some good plays in camp as well.   I just don't see him breaking into the top 3 WRs on our roster.  I do see him filtting in as a 4th/5th WR but right now White is clearly ahead of him.   I don't think Wims will beat out Bellamy on special teams.  If we keep 6 WRs Wims has a good chance of being #6.  If we keep 5 WRs I think special teams win out and Bellamy has the edge.   

I'm not as sold as others are that we'll keep 6 WRs because with a coach heavily focused on using multiple TE sets it seems we'd be more likely to keep 4 TEs.  Plus Cohen is going to be used quite a bit as a receiver, even lining up there often.  That could mean we keep 4 RBs, or 3 RBs and FBs.   It's hard to predict how the last few roster spots will be filled and of course injuries will factor into that too.    

I know we owe Kevin White $5 million this year, but I would hate to keep him at the expense of Wims.  Unless White were to have an absolute breakout season, I do not see him coming back next year.   I would rather invest in the future. 

Peace