Upon Further Review

AZ54

I took the time to watch the game again and I'll start my thoughts with the QB. 

I was a bit harsh on Trubisky in my other post where I said this was his worst game.  He had the two picks and early on looked like he was trying to be too perfect or over-analyzing things.  Announcers were critical of him for over throwing Jordan Howard in the flat in the first quarter but didn't acknowledge the hand of a defender that he had to throw over to top of.  I don't regret at all the chance he took with Robinson when it was a foot short.  In time he'll have a better feel for that throw.  For the second game in a row he led the offense right down the field for a TD to open the game.  What stood out most to me was his poise in the 2nd half after the two INTs.  He actually settled down and we saw the line drive on target passes we're used to.  He also made several good adjustments in the pocket throughout the game to buy time.  When a blitz was not picked up in the 3rd quarter he took the sack with no turnover and let his defense do their thing.  Overall in the 3rd quarter the offense's mistakes were from others, the biggest a penalty that took away at 17 yard gain on a strike to Miller.  Again we saw another long 4th quarter drive, this time for a TD.  It hasn't all come together but I now think there was quite a bit of growth in his game this week over last week.  

Oline:  Kush played a little better this week.  There were still some misses and things to work on because a few times they allowed some early pressure on Trubisky.  Seattle seemed content to focus on stopping the run and forcing Trubisky to beat them and there were few opportunities for Howard to get through the line untouched.  With that the run game struggled inside so Nagy countered them in the 2nd half with a lot of short passes to the flat, or jet sweeps with Gabriel which were effective.  

RBs:  Howard is again a stud. The running wasn't there but his pass catching including that tight window catch on the sideline Kendricks almost got his hands on, yet he was able to turn upfield for a big gain.  He finished with 33 yards receiving but just 35 yards rushing.    Cohen looked excellent in the return game.  His big day will show up sooner or later.  

WRs:  Robinson..glad his left knee is ok after that brutal tackle where the defender was intent on injuring him.  These guys know when they have someone locked up like that and he could have eased up after the tackle and still held him in place.   There was nothing spectacular but he's clearly Trubisky's favorite target and that's ok while the rest of the offense settles in.  There were some bad penalty calls.  I saw the "block in the back" on Miller on replay and he really didn't touch the player.  I couldn't find the false start on Gabriel either, or they called the wrong number.  Miller's route his TD catch was perfect.  

DBs:  I'm not sure what's driving all the negativity regarding the CBs.  Prince had Brandon Marshall locked up almost the entire game with several passes defensed.  In the 2nd half Wilson took a down-field shot at Lockett and Prince was in perfect position and the play had no chance.  Then of course the Pick6.  Fuller was in perfect position on Lockett's TD play, and on Dissly in the first half on a 20 yard pass play where he did turn around.  Whether or not he looks back is irrelevant IMO because Lockett played it perfectly slowing down just enough to create space for that pass to drop in over the top.   Callahan also had a good game.  Wilson only completed 61% of his passes, against Trubisky's 73%.  While the world is focused on Khalil Mack's play he even acknowledge that his strip sack was the result of outstanding coverage downfield that gave him time to get there.  I sense that our DBs are getting in sync with that pass rush and so are closing in earlier on route and not as worried about staying with WRs/TEs 4-5sec as they used to.   

Dline:  We have a good rotation of big men.  Nichols played well, he wasn't moved around by their Oline and got in on a few plays himself.  He still needs to shed blocks better in the run game but he should learn.  RRH, even Bullard all made plays throughout the game.   Hicks, Goldman it seems confidence is growing across the board and they are playing off each other well. 

OLBs:  Mack is still not in game shape but he's a game wrecker.  Floyd had a very good game  IMO although he's still very limited in his pass rush with the club on his hand.  Lynch is just a depth piece in the mold of McPhee.  He's more of a run stuffer with little pass rush but he did well cleaning up on plays when they were forced his way, and he does seem to be getting into better game shape.  

ILBs:  Welcome to the field Roquan Smith.  His closing speed and tackling prociency made a difference on a lot of plays.  Trevathan had a good game too and I think it's the flexibility we now have with Smith or Trev in coverage that allows Fangio to let one of them loose.  With the Dline and OLB play in front of them the arrow is pointing up from here.  

https://www.chicagobears.com/video/every-play-from-roquan-smith-s-week-2  

Coaching:  Nagy has his first win.  It's the first big hurdle for any new HC and unlike last week his team closed the game out well in the 4th quarter.   His message about staying positive and building on the good things from week 1 worked.   

9 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I took the time to watch the game again and I'll start my thoughts with the QB. 

I was a bit harsh on Trubisky in my other post where I said this was his worst game.  He had the two picks and early on looked like he was trying to be too perfect or over-analyzing things.  Announcers were critical of him for over throwing Jordan Howard in the flat in the first quarter but didn't acknowledge the hand of a defender that he had to throw over to top of.  I don't regret at all the chance he took with Robinson when it was a foot short.  In time he'll have a better feel for that throw.  For the second game in a row he led the offense right down the field for a TD to open the game.  What stood out most to me was his poise in the 2nd half after the two INTs.  He actually settled down and we saw the line drive on target passes we're used to.  He also made several good adjustments in the pocket throughout the game to buy time.  When a blitz was not picked up in the 3rd quarter he took the sack with no turnover and let his defense do their thing.  Overall in the 3rd quarter the offense's mistakes were from others, the biggest a penalty that took away at 17 yard gain on a strike to Miller.  Again we saw another long 4th quarter drive, this time for a TD.  It hasn't all come together but I now think there was quite a bit of growth in his game this week over last week.  

Last week Sims was critiqued for being behind the first down line in two of his receptions.  One of those was his fault, where he took on a defender head on, rather than go around him, and was stopped. The second was more on  Trubisky since Trubisky threw to a place that was easily behind where Sims was located.  The throw, more than Sim's route, precipitated our team's inability to make the first down. 

Yes I saw some resolve from Trubisky especially after those errant throws that resulted in INT's.  The problem is there were easily one, two maybe three other throws that could have just as easily turned into turnovers...we just got lucky. 

He needs more time...plain and simple. 

RBs:  Howard is again a stud. The running wasn't there but his pass catching including that tight window catch on the sideline Kendricks almost got his hands on, yet he was able to turn upfield for a big gain.  He finished with 33 yards receiving but just 35 yards rushing.    Cohen looked excellent in the return game.  His big day will show up sooner or later.  

This one bothers me the most.  Why is it that Nagy isn't using our sole consistent offensive piece more often?  The guy only ran 14 times for 35 yards last night.  He's proven all of his short NFL career that he can run the ball a bunch of times and get nearly 1000 yards per season doing it.  Last week when the Bears had a 20 point lead, Nagy was still playing around with gimmicky plays and not giving Jordan the opportunity to do what Jordan does best . Even last night when the Bears were protecting small leads of 7 and 14 points we see our team going to play action, screens and deep throws more often than having Jordan run it.  And is it me or have they completely gone away from zone blocking?  It seems that most times Jordan gets the ball he is running straight up the gut and into a defender.  What happened to letting him wait for the block to develop before running to the hole?

WRs:  Robinson..glad his left knee is ok after that brutal tackle where the defender was intent on injuring him.  These guys know when they have someone locked up like that and he could have eased up after the tackle and still held him in place.   There was nothing spectacular but he's clearly Trubisky's favorite target and that's ok while the rest of the offense settles in. 

Love Robinson.  Thought the same exact thing about that awkward tackle.  And after that long INT by Trubisky where Robinson was blown up by the second defender?  Seems a bit extreme to me.  But yeah...really like Robinson.

DBs:  I'm not sure what's driving all the negativity regarding the CBs.  Prince had Brandon Marshall locked up almost the entire game with several passes defensed.  In the 2nd half Wilson took a down-field shot at Lockett and Prince was in perfect position and the play had no chance.  Then of course the Pick6.  Fuller was in perfect position on Lockett's TD play, and on Dissly in the first half on a 20 yard pass play where he did turn around.  Whether or not he looks back is irrelevant IMO because Lockett played it perfectly slowing down just enough to create space for that pass to drop in over the top.   Callahan also had a good game.  Wilson only completed 61% of his passes, against Trubisky's 73%.  While the world is focused on Khalil Mack's play he even acknowledge that his strip sack was the result of outstanding coverage downfield that gave him time to get there.  I sense that our DBs are getting in sync with that pass rush and so are closing in earlier on route and not as worried about staying with WRs/TEs 4-5sec as they used to.   

Amukamura looks old and slow...a majority of the time.  The reason he looked good against Marshall was because Brandon is getting old and slow too.  I love Prince (especially since he's a Nebraska alum) but we need to start looking for his replacement sooner than later.  And Fuller?  I'm beginning to think his contract year was going to be the best we'll ever see.  Twice in two weeks now he's gotten beat on long scoring plays mostly because he's has his back turned to the throw.  This is elementary stuff.  If he's not intercepting the ball he should at least do what he can to avoid getting an DPI call. 

As far as the rest; still like Nagy.  His coaching style seems to really work effectively with this relatively young team.  Mack is the real deal...no two ways around it.  Smith needs more time too and I trust he'll be right up there.  And Vic...well at the rate we're going the Bears will need to find whoever can effectively take over for him as he finally gets the chance at HC that he deserves.

Thoughts on Trubisky, since we all seem to agree on the rest.

When running scripted plays, he looks very good.  What does this say?  It says, when prepared, he shows the confidence and decision making ability to be very successful.  Two opening TD drives in two games tells a good tale.  Looking forward, when this offense becomes more instinctive to him, the 2nd half will also look better.

Patience folks, my eye test likes what it sees.  We should be 2-0 right now and no-one expected that.  We should dominate Arizona on Sunday.

13 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Thoughts on Trubisky, since we all seem to agree on the rest.

When running scripted plays, he looks very good.  What does this say?  It says, when prepared, he shows the confidence and decision making ability to be very successful.  Two opening TD drives in two games tells a good tale.  Looking forward, when this offense becomes more instinctive to him, the 2nd half will also look better.

Patience folks, my eye test likes what it sees.  We should be 2-0 right now and no-one expected that.  We should dominate Arizona on Sunday.

Right there with you on the scripted plays vs when we start calling plays as we go.  It will take time Trubisky to have the same confidence/comfort level with all the plays in the playbook once we go off script.  And to an extent that includes Naggy as well.  As he gets a feel for utilizing the players and their talents on this team to be more effective overall and better in situational play calling.  These last two games there is a noticeable change when we go off script.  He is still essentially a rookie.  Last season about all he did was hand off with a few pass plays sprinkled in.  This is a vastly different offense, and with that brings a vastly different way defenses will play us and what they present at the LOS.  He's running new plays and trying to process how teams are defending those plays. He's thinking more  than playing on instinct.  We have to have some patience.  I also wonder if part of the reason we've been more pass happy  to start the season is Naggy getting a feel for the new weapons we added in Burton, Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, etc.  The Bears got a lot of new toys on offense like Christmas morning and the old toys sometimes get neglected.  He does need to lean more on the run game.  It's hard to protect leads and kill time when your going 3 and out throwing the ball.  

The defense looks great, and if Fuller catches that INT in Week 1, we are the talk of the league (and 1st in the Division at 2-0). So it looks like we will stay in sleeper mode for a little longer with TB and KC taking most of the national attention. The defense is playing at a top 5 level, and once the cast comes off, Floyd will be much more effective. The defense with Hicks/Mack is looking pretty scary. Hopefully, Smith gets into form and completely supplants Kwiat next to Trevathan. Callahan and Prince looked much better in Week 2 as well. I am very happy about the defense and just think what it will look like after the bye with a rested and healthy team with Mack and Smith both fully in shape and operating in the defense. 

I am optimistic about Trubisky, but reluctantly at this point. No matter how you look at it or grade him, he has not been good this year. He is on pace for less than 3k passing yards for the entire season. That is Loggains type of Offensive production. His Y/A is 1.2 yards less than last year. That's crazy. I don't know if it is Nagy's play calling or Trubisky's play. I don't even care about how other QB's are performing like Watson or Mahomes, because every situation is unique and hard to compare at this point in their careers. However, no matter what stats you use, QB Rating, QBR or something like DVOA, which adjusts for defenses, Trubisky is around the 28th ranked QB in the league. Only Bradford and Luck have thrown shorter completions than Trubisky (CAY - https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-completed-yards). So some of this has to be related to the play calling. So at some point, we are going to have to take off the training wheels. It seems like we get one great drive a half, but the offense is only averaging 16.5 points a game. That is not going to cut it and if we don't help out the defense, we are going to burn them out fast. 

Also, if teams start taking Robinson away, it is going to take a huge chunk of production away (144 yards, 227 yds to everyone else) from the passing game.  Robinson has as many receptions as Burton, Cohen, and Miller COMBINED. Michael Burton and Bellamy have a reception and White has yet to be targeted. 

I hope we see a visible improvement this week against a terrible Arizona team. With our defense, we should dominate them. We just need the offense to take a step forward and put a few scoring drives together.

57 minutes ago, adam said:

The defense looks great, and if Fuller catches that INT in Week 1, we are the talk of the league (and 1st in the Division at 2-0). So it looks like we will stay in sleeper mode for a little longer with TB and KC taking most of the national attention. The defense is playing at a top 5 level, and once the cast comes off, Floyd will be much more effective. The defense with Hicks/Mack is looking pretty scary. Hopefully, Smith gets into form and completely supplants Kwiat next to Trevathan. Callahan and Prince looked much better in Week 2 as well. I am very happy about the defense and just think what it will look like after the bye with a rested and healthy team with Mack and Smith both fully in shape and operating in the defense. 

I am optimistic about Trubisky, but reluctantly at this point. No matter how you look at it or grade him, he has not been good this year. He is on pace for less than 3k passing yards for the entire season. That is Loggains type of Offensive production. His Y/A is 1.2 yards less than last year. That's crazy. I don't know if it is Nagy's play calling or Trubisky's play. I don't even care about how other QB's are performing like Watson or Mahomes, because every situation is unique and hard to compare at this point in their careers. However, no matter what stats you use, QB Rating, QBR or something like DVOA, which adjusts for defenses, Trubisky is around the 28th ranked QB in the league. Only Bradford and Luck have thrown shorter completions than Trubisky (CAY - https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-completed-yards). So some of this has to be related to the play calling. So at some point, we are going to have to take off the training wheels. It seems like we get one great drive a half, but the offense is only averaging 16.5 points a game. That is not going to cut it and if we don't help out the defense, we are going to burn them out fast. 

Also, if teams start taking Robinson away, it is going to take a huge chunk of production away (144 yards, 227 yds to everyone else) from the passing game.  Robinson has as many receptions as Burton, Cohen, and Miller COMBINED. Michael Burton and Bellamy have a reception and White has yet to be targeted. 

I hope we see a visible improvement this week against a terrible Arizona team. With our defense, we should dominate them. We just need the offense to take a step forward and put a few scoring drives together.

I'm looking at week 5 as the point when the defense should all on same page and have there legs under them. Defense already looks just crazy good and mack is a downright beast which is freeing up everyone else. Mack had a great game yet trevathan kind of went unnoticed as a whole. And he walks away with the defensive player of the week award. I didn't even realize he had 2 sacks lol. Probably because I was so focused on how much mack was constantly getting either double or triple teamed on almost every play. And now there's reports that Floyd is looking to shed the club or at least make it smaller

51 minutes ago, bowlingtwig said:

I'm looking at week 5 as the point when the defense should all on same page and have there legs under them. Defense already looks just crazy good and mack is a downright beast which is freeing up everyone else. Mack had a great game yet trevathan kind of went unnoticed as a whole. And he walks away with the defensive player of the week award. I didn't even realize he had 2 sacks lol. Probably because I was so focused on how much mack was constantly getting either double or triple teamed on almost every play. And now there's reports that Floyd is looking to shed the club or at least make it smaller

Thats great news on Floyd, because adding even just a little more pressure from that end will make it that much tougher on QB's.

On 9/18/2018 at 3:27 PM, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Last week Sims was critiqued for being behind the first down line in two of his receptions.  One of those was his fault, where he took on a defender head on, rather than go around him, and was stopped. The second was more on  Trubisky since Trubisky threw to a place that was easily behind where Sims was located.  The throw, more than Sim's route, precipitated our team's inability to make the first down. 

Yes I saw some resolve from Trubisky especially after those errant throws that resulted in INT's.  The problem is there were easily one, two maybe three other throws that could have just as easily turned into turnovers...we just got lucky. 

He needs more time...plain and simple. 

This one bothers me the most.  Why is it that Nagy isn't using our sole consistent offensive piece more often?  The guy only ran 14 times for 35 yards last night.  He's proven all of his short NFL career that he can run the ball a bunch of times and get nearly 1000 yards per season doing it.  Last week when the Bears had a 20 point lead, Nagy was still playing around with gimmicky plays and not giving Jordan the opportunity to do what Jordan does best . Even last night when the Bears were protecting small leads of 7 and 14 points we see our team going to play action, screens and deep throws more often than having Jordan run it.  And is it me or have they completely gone away from zone blocking?  It seems that most times Jordan gets the ball he is running straight up the gut and into a defender.  What happened to letting him wait for the block to develop before running to the hole?

Love Robinson.  Thought the same exact thing about that awkward tackle.  And after that long INT by Trubisky where Robinson was blown up by the second defender?  Seems a bit extreme to me.  But yeah...really like Robinson.

Amukamura looks old and slow...a majority of the time.  The reason he looked good against Marshall was because Brandon is getting old and slow too.  I love Prince (especially since he's a Nebraska alum) but we need to start looking for his replacement sooner than later.  And Fuller?  I'm beginning to think his contract year was going to be the best we'll ever see.  Twice in two weeks now he's gotten beat on long scoring plays mostly because he's has his back turned to the throw.  This is elementary stuff.  If he's not intercepting the ball he should at least do what he can to avoid getting an DPI call. 

As far as the rest; still like Nagy.  His coaching style seems to really work effectively with this relatively young team.  Mack is the real deal...no two ways around it.  Smith needs more time too and I trust he'll be right up there.  And Vic...well at the rate we're going the Bears will need to find whoever can effectively take over for him as he finally gets the chance at HC that he deserves.

If you re-watch the game you will see that Fuller had tight coverage on both of those completed passes. Truth is they were perfect throws that he couldn't do anything about. Both Prince and Fuller have played well. Fangio won't ever be a head coach, his name is mentioned on a few hires last year but no one stepped up to even interview him.  I think he will be satisfied with being the defensive guru of this team when they go to a Super Bowl.

Sims did not block well on several hurries that MT had, he missed blocks not getting to the area he needed to be.

Lynch played well in his time on the field, glad to see we get mileage out of him.Smith and Mack still have to get in to player shape but are both playing well in limited snaps.

23 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

If you re-watch the game you will see that Fuller had tight coverage on both of those completed passes. Truth is they were perfect throws that he couldn't do anything about. Both Prince and Fuller have played well. Fangio won't ever be a head coach, his name is mentioned on a few hires last year but no one stepped up to even interview him.  I think he will be satisfied with being the defensive guru of this team when they go to a Super Bowl.

Sims did not block well on several hurries that MT had, he missed blocks not getting to the area he needed to be.

Lynch played well in his time on the field, glad to see we get mileage out of him.Smith and Mack still have to get in to player shape but are both playing well in limited snaps.

Perhaps your self-affirmed clairvoyance is failing you, or at least clouding your normal perception that the rest of us have. But more on that in a minute.   I did watch the game and clearly saw Fuller looking directly into the chest of both Allison (GB) and Lockett (SEA) during their respective TD's.  Yes it was tight coverage but he was in no way a position to effectively defense the ball.  He was hoping he'd be able to get in the way.  Where he was at in both of those plays put him in a better position to get a DPI than anything.  And just because I suspect you think my 'Debby Downer' way of thinking is singular, here's this from the Chicago Sun-Times: 

• "The touchdown that Kyle Fuller allowed in the fourth quarter — a 19-yard pass from Russell Wilson to Tyler Lockett — looked a lot like the 39-yarder he gave up to Geronimo Allison the week before. Both throws were in the back right corner of the end zone. Both times, Fuller had his back to the ball when it landed in the receiver’s arms."

And this....

• "For the second consecutive week, cornerback Kyle Fuller was the victim of a perfect pass. But Seahawks receiver Tyler Lockett’s 19-yard touchdown catch against him still will be a focus for Fuller’s coaches. It was a play-action play in which Wilson clearly thought he had the advantage with Lockett against Fuller, who didn’t turn to the ball, play through Lockett’s hands or run him out of bounds. Fuller also was caught flat-footed in zone coverage on Lockett’s 20-yard catch on third-and-five in the fourth quarter. Seven plays later, Lockett beat Fuller for his touchdown."

As far as Prince, I love the guy.  But it's pretty apparent he's slowing with age.  I know his specialty is press coverage but that double juke Adams put on him to score the week prior in GB was something even Hicks could've probably covered.   

Sports announcers across the league are taking notice of Chicago's D.  Mostly because of Mack's arrival but many will say they didn't realize how solid the REST of the defense was now that they are doing what they are.  When they speak at length about it they realize the Bear's D has been gradually getting better each of the years Vic has been there.  If you think for a minute an owner won't take notice of something like that when it comes to hiring a new HC...well  dnno.gif

He had tight coverage but your right he didnt turn his head, so that makes him a shitty DB? If you havent paid attention everybody gets beat at certain times, there were still perfect throws. You have to look at his over all game. I doubt if he turned his head that he would have broke up those plays, they were in a perfect spot to catch.

11 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

He had tight coverage but your right he didnt turn his head, so that makes him a shitty DB? If you havent paid attention everybody gets beat at certain times, there were still perfect throws. You have to look at his over all game. I doubt if he turned his head that he would have broke up those plays, they were in a perfect spot to catch.

Didn’t quite say he was “shitty”.  In fact didn’t even use the word.  Just questioned whether his best year was behind him.  Not looking back at a ball you’re intending to defense seems would be a basic fundamental as a DB.

We all know he has the potential to be a great DB.  My concern is he’s only good if there’s a contract to be renewed. 

14 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Didn’t quite say he was “shitty”.  In fact didn’t even use the word.  Just questioned whether his best year was behind him.  Not looking back at a ball you’re intending to defense seems would be a basic fundamental as a DB.

We all know he has the potential to be a great DB.  My concern is he’s only good if there’s a contract to be renewed. 

Against GB Fuller was clearly pushed off about 10 yards or so before the ball arrived.  Turning your head sideways slows you down.  If he doesn't put his head down and sprint as fast as he can there is no way he gets back into the picture.  Instead of looking backward and slowing down he sprinted and almost got his arm between the ball and the receiver.  

Against Seattle:   When Lockett pressed him, or slowed him down that is exactly the point where he should have looked back for the ball.   A CB should know the WR is slowing down to either line up with the ball, or the better WRs will slow down to create space for them to speed and make the catch.  

I don't think either play is a comprehensive evaluation of his play for the year, and AG agrees.   In fact, Fullers run support generally is better than most CBs.  Every player, except for perhaps the elite few, have some weakness in their game.  I doubt Fuller will change much at this point in his career but overall he's still a very good CB in the league. 

Is he worth the money we paid?  Not IMO but then again this team and defense is much better for keeping him and Prince around.  Consider him rewarded for keeping the band together because sometimes losing a piece that fits, even if it's not perfect, isn't easily replaced.  That's the premium we paid. 

Plus, we had the money and a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.  Two years in a row Pace went after top FA CBs some of whom are on the list below.  He didn't land one.   Given the cap space we had keeping Fuller was still the right decision.  Same with Prince.  (Ask John Gruden how extra cap space improves your win total.)    The other top options Pace went after both ended up with a larger contract than Fuller, although Fuller has a much higher avg/yr than Butler.   Fuller only gets $18mil guaranteed over the first two years vs. Butler's $30mil and Johnson's $34mil.  We pay more per year than Butler's deal but that was a price to pay for the added flexibility of the contract (meaning we can walk away with less invested).   

Look at the top CBs in salary.  All of them have some weakness in their game:  Josh Norman, Xavier Rhodes, AJ Bouye, Patrick Peterson (maybe not him as he's improve a lot over the last few years), Trumaine Johnson, Kyle Fuller, Desmond Trufant, Stephone Gilmore, Janoris Jenkins, Malcolm Butler.