Bellamy vs. White

Connorbear

From Brad Biggs article this morning: 

“We’re always going to play the best guy,” Mark Helfrich said. “That’s by situation, and we have the ability to watch them in practice and see that take place. (Bellamy) is, just in fact, more versatile and has a deeper knowledge of the system. He’s probably a three- or even a four-position guy in terms of versatility. Again, I am not speaking in a negative way about Kevin, it’s just fact. Josh’s experience in the system, all of those things, weigh into that.”

The writing is on the wall for White here. Someone like New England will gladly take him and build the offense for him. Look at Cordelle Patterson. Can't run routes but can make plays with the ball in his hands and a little space. White can get up and catch the ball, not much versatility as we have seen, but can do that well. 

Speaking of Patterson, that is what I hoped the Bears would have done with Hester. 

30 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

The writing is on the wall for White here. Someone like New England will gladly take him and build the offense for him. Look at Cordelle Patterson. Can't run routes but can make plays with the ball in his hands and a little space. White can get up and catch the ball, not much versatility as we have seen, but can do that well. 

Speaking of Patterson, that is what I hoped the Bears would have done with Hester. 

I believe Hester would have gotten destroyed being used like Patterson. Cordelle is a much bigger / physical guy who can take more of that pounding. I'd have loved Hester being used in more of the Tarik Cohen / Tyreke Hill roll. Hester's big problem was that he wasn't that crisp of a route-runner but you know he'd get all kinds of space in this offensive system.  

7 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I believe Hester would have gotten destroyed being used like Patterson. Cordelle is a much bigger / physical guy who can take more of that pounding. I'd have loved Hester being used in more of the Tarik Cohen / Tyreke Hill roll. Hester's big problem was that he wasn't that crisp of a route-runner but you know he'd get all kinds of space in this offensive system.  

I have to agree, Hester would likely be streaking down the field, wide open, only to have Mitch over/under throw him by ten yards. Okay, I know, I will shut up. Just had to add my initial knee-jerk reaction without trying to be a jerk. :D

52 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I have to agree, Hester would likely be streaking down the field, wide open, only to have Mitch over/under throw him by ten yards. Okay, I know, I will shut up. Just had to add my initial knee-jerk reaction without trying to be a jerk. :D

I"m so old I remember when everyone was talking about how Trubisky had never thrown multiple TDs in a game.  Or that he couldn't handle the blitz pickups and make the right read.  I remember when he couldn't use his cadence at the LOS to get offsides penalties.  I remember when he couldn't complete back-shoulder throws now we get them in the endzone and deep down the sidelines.  Each week, or month,  different criticisms tend to quietly fall by the wayside.  Trubisky is now the best or second best rushing QB in the NFL.   I'm so old I remember when DeShaun Watson, Dak Prescott, and Cam Newton were lauded for the dual threat capabilities even if their pocket passing efficiency was still a work in progress.  

Trubisky still has issues with mechanics at times, even he acknowledges that, but the inaccuracy on the deep routes looks to be the last hurdle he'll have to conquer.  Despite that through 8 games he's improved considerably in this offense.  Enough that he led the offense to put up 27pts against a top 10 Bills defense on the road and yet there is still meat on the bone.  He's improved enough that coaches are adding new plays to the play sheet weekly.  It might take a full offseason with this receiving corps, and this playbook, for him to close the deal on some of the deep route timing issues.  Then again, considering his improvement over the first 8 games this year it might all come together in the last quarter of the season.   

For now defenses know one thing:  They better respect and cover the deep ball because 1)  Enough big plays have been made in the last 5 games to make it real threat and   2)  Trubisky and Nagy won't stop going there and it can be for MIller, ARob, Burton, Gabriel, Cohen, or even Bellamy.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

I"m so old I remember when everyone was talking about how Trubisky had never thrown multiple TDs in a game.  Or that he couldn't handle the blitz pickups and make the right read.  I remember when he couldn't use his cadence at the LOS to get offsides penalties.  I remember when he couldn't complete back-shoulder throws now we get them in the endzone and deep down the sidelines.  Each week, or month,  different criticisms tend to quietly fall by the wayside.  Trubisky is now the best or second best rushing QB in the NFL.   I'm so old I remember when DeShaun Watson, Dak Prescott, and Cam Newton were lauded for the dual threat capabilities even if their pocket passing efficiency was still a work in progress.  

Trubisky still has issues with mechanics at times, even he acknowledges that, but the inaccuracy on the deep routes looks to be the last hurdle he'll have to conquer.  Despite that through 8 games he's improved considerably in this offense.  Enough that he led the offense to put up 27pts against a top 10 Bills defense on the road and yet there is still meat on the bone.  He's improved enough that coaches are adding new plays to the play sheet weekly.  It might take a full offseason with this receiving corps, and this playbook, for him to close the deal on some of the deep route timing issues.  Then again, considering his improvement over the first 8 games this year it might all come together in the last quarter of the season.   

For now defenses know one thing:  They better respect and cover the deep ball because 1)  Enough big plays have been made in the last 5 games to make it real threat and   2)  Trubisky and Nagy won't stop going there and it can be for MIller, ARob, Burton, Gabriel, Cohen, or even Bellamy.  

His ability to read defenses and his overall leadership qualities, give me a lot of reasons to be optimistic. I've said it before and I'll say it again, as he continues to get more comfortable iwth this offense (and as the players get more comfortable...especially after this next off-season), I think we'll see another big step forward. I fully expect these guys to continue working with each other in the off-season and I think Mitch will clean-up his footwork, etc (and I think those things will naturally clean-up as he gains comfort as well).  The way I've seen him mature in throwing guys open and making reads, makes me very optimistic with his future. Plus he just seems to have this "moxy" to him.  

9 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

His ability to read defenses and his overall leadership qualities, give me a lot of reasons to be optimistic. I've said it before and I'll say it again, as he continues to get more comfortable iwth this offense (and as the players get more comfortable...especially after this next off-season), I think we'll see another big step forward. I fully expect these guys to continue working with each other in the off-season and I think Mitch will clean-up his footwork, etc (and I think those things will naturally clean-up as he gains comfort as well).  The way I've seen him mature in throwing guys open and making reads, makes me very optimistic with his future. Plus he just seems to have this "moxy" to him.  

Yeah he's still on the journey to being a top 10 starter but as of now I feel he's definitely in the top 20 and very close to a top 15 QB.  I do think it will take the offseason for him to fully settle into the offense and that will allow him to again focus on the fundamentals of the position.  Just 8 weeks ago he was still working through how to call the plays in the huddle.  

I'm really curious to see what this offense looks like when Shaheen is out there with Burton.  Once Trubisky gets outside the pocket to extend a play, if Shaheen was in blocking then he can release up field and actually catch the ball.  He's a big safety valve right in front of the QB.  Reportedly he's close to returning and I'd really like to have him on the field against the Vikings in two weeks.