The Bears and Icarus

jason

I'm loving this season. LOVING. But I'm worried. I feel like this season is a lot like Icarus. Flying too far too fast could cause huge problems.

Amos needs re-signing now. Fuller, Floyd, Bush are all in 2019, and Eddie Jackson should be on tap quickly thereafter. One more year like this one, and I'm sure there are a few who others who will want to restructure. We won't be able to keep them all.

Add that to the fact that there is a serious lack of draft picks, and I'm a bit worried about the path forward. I feel like the window is open, but it's only open for a year or two more.

9 hours ago, jason said:

I'm loving this season. LOVING. But I'm worried. I feel like this season is a lot like Icarus. Flying too far too fast could cause huge problems.

Amos needs re-signing now. Fuller, Floyd, Bush are all in 2019, and Eddie Jackson should be on tap quickly thereafter. One more year like this one, and I'm sure there are a few who others who will want to restructure. We won't be able to keep them all.

Add that to the fact that there is a serious lack of draft picks, and I'm a bit worried about the path forward. I feel like the window is open, but it's only open for a year or two more.

IF Trubisky develops into a franchise QB he can bridge the gap created by the draft picks being traded away. Also hopefully Pace can continue to find gems in the 3rd and 4th rounds.  With the Bears winning more FA will want to come here to apart of it. Hopefully Pace can sign some solid FA's that do not screw the cap up.  

Most GM's understand the "Mack effect" where it is a given that he makes people better.  That will hold our defensive players in an affordable slot.  You are correct in knowing that our players are going to be in higher demand due to success and winning.  But, the good GM's and coaches manage it.  3 years from now, it's in Mitch hands to bridge the gap.  Say a prayer for continued growth.

I think it is wonderful that we have a team we are worried about staying together. 

first of all, Pace has gotten players in the later rounds.  Jackson, Cohen, Amos, Howard., Nichols. He is on a roll the last two years with his drafts.

This year is the first of the successful years to come, until we have to pay MT we are in good shape. For example, We have Massie probably leaving but we have Coward in place on a cheap contract. We also picked up Beavers that may lead to a fill in spot. If they do not trust those two, we have Bradley Sowell around to fill in until we develop someone., 

I do not think Amos will command a big contract but I could be wrong. We will have to trust Bush or a new draft pick. We also could grab a FA for a cheap contract over 30 that most teams wont get a big contract too.

Callahan is the tricky one, he will probably get a big offer, so if he leaves we have 4 on the practice squad that has been in this system that will have to step up. '

We can stand to lose a few each year because our core is here for at least 2 years and then we have to pay MT, by then contracts like Trevathan and Long will be gone.

It will all be fine the key to all of this is being this healthy in the next few years. 

May I suggest we enjoy the ride, to worry about our future when we just won the division, beat the Packers and are the 3rd seed in a season everybody predicted we might get to 8-8 would be a good year is a blessing. 

Pace is hitting on everything right now.

Nagy is a blooming star as a coach.

Fangio is here and chances are of him leaving is slim with the move of teams going after offensive minded young OCs.

We have our star in place on defense and MT is developing quite nicely, 

9 of our starters on defense are under 27.

9 of our starters on offense are 27 or younger. 

NO WORRIES---GO BEARS

I'm not that worried about keeping this team together. We still have reasonable amount of cap space to work with in FA and some options to get more.  We won't be top tier FA targets but we may be able to grab that 2nd tier who aren't commanding what they think they are worth and prefer a 1yr deal with a winning team.  When you get to the 3rd tier we can compete with the winning teams now, and that's especially true because our "window" just opened.  Whereas Pittsburgh is likely to lose Big Ben this offseason.  If you are a 4th WR looking for a place to call home for a year or two which would you choose?  Plus we have the mad scientist in Nagy cooking up all sorts of wacky plays and then partying afterward in Club Dub.   If you are a 3rd tier defensive player like a DB you absolutely know that Khalil Mack will give you opportunities for INTs and passes defensed like few other teams.  Better stats can lead to a better next contract if on a 1yr deal, and you might pickup a nice ring in the process.  

We can easily re-sign Amos, or Callahan, or RRH, or Floyd, or Coward, or Bullard in the near term.   I don't think we can sign them all in the next two years.  I was an advocate for extending Amos this past offseason like we did with Goldman but I suspect he'll get at least 1-2 mil/yr more now.  He's a good player who I'd like to keep but tell me how many big highlight plays he's had this season?  Plus I think he's peaked so we will be paying for the same performance for years.   Instead I now prefer to gamble on Floyd's upside because he's still not as good as I think he'll become in another year or two.  I also think Callahan, even with his injury issues, is a better target to keep around.  Anyway whatever or whoever Pace decides are the key players he can keep them around and the one or two on the outside we have to find a replacement for.  I think we'll be able to do that via draft or FA.    

What I'm worried about more is the front office losing talent as other teams start seeing all these late round gems, and even UDFAs, Pace is finding (Jackson, Cohen, Nichols, RRH).   That won't go un-noticed and others will want in on his system and success.  Two years ago he was to be fired for his draft and was at least laughed at by many for his small school signings.  Now?  There may be one or two guys in his scouting units that are really key to this success and losing one or both could change our good fortune.  Not to mention that Pace went out and got Nagy.  While we know he "hired" Fox everyone in the league knows that was much more recommended for him as a young GM.  I think Pace will correct any issues if we lose front office personnel but that might not come on his first replacement hire, or in their first year working in a new role.  None of this chatter has hit the streets yet but wait as we see more GMs losing their jobs like is rumored to be happening in AZ. 

OTOH if he can somehow string together another strong draft in day 2/3 this year and find a few players who can contribute or grow into a starting role down the road then we are going to be in a really good position with depth.   

If you go off of health, Amos seems to have that going for him. When money sits in the ice tub like it did with most of our top talent the past few years it does weigh on decisions. The Bears will spend a 3rd or 4th on one of those db positions to groom and probably a fa signing, so I almost see Amos staying unless he gets unreasonably high priced. 

21 hours ago, jason said:

Nice Greek mythology reference!   Gotta agree like Icarus our team needs to especially be mindful of hubris.   I don’t think Nagy or especially Vic will let it happen.