Eagles at Bears Official Wild Card Game Thread (Sun, Jan 6th, 3:40 PM CST/NBC/Bears -6, O/U 41)

adam

I was at the game and told my friend before the final drive 'Just watch, Parkey is going to hit the upright if we get into field goal position."  I actually laughed out loud when it happened because I simply couldn't believe it.  

That being said - it was a great season.  The organization has turned around.  I am looking forward to the future. 

Peace

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Connorbear said:

That being said - it was a great season.  The organization has turned around.  I am looking forward to the future. 

Yes it was.  And I saw some express concern with next year’s opponents and schedule but I remind you our team will be that much better and prepared too.  The games they lost, like to the perennial winner Patriots was only by within a TD.  They weren’t getting blown out in any losses.  This team will do just fine in the coming seasons.  

I personally think the only big loss we’ll see is Fangio leaving.  But I suspect the Bears will learn how to adapt and overcome. 

I just woke up and on Twitter , I see that Treyvon Hester tipped the ball. I just watched the video,  a tipped ball isn't Parkeys fault.  He was perfect on the night , so that missed was unexpected at that moment.  He now has an excuse.  As much as we blame him,  he deserves very little of it.

Now its time to look forward,  the ending seems much worse than when you lose 11 games but the truth is,  we won 12 games , made the playoffs and have one of the better coaches in the league. Also a defense with no starters over 30. A developing QB, a offense that can play much better next year. 4 Pro bowl starters.  Mack and Smith at full speed out of the gate. We have a bright side here. So I'm ready to move forward. 

I hate looking at silver linings after a game like that, but I was really impressed with the way Trubisky handled the spotlight late in that game. There were a lot of people, myself included, that wanted to see how he'd play having to bring the team back from a deficit in the 4th quarter. He didn't have many opportunities to do that this year, because the Bears were usually playing with a lead, so at least when it comes to that, I thought he made some impressive throws in big moments, and hopefully that bodes well for him going in to next season.

I also just want to say that Roquan Smith is the real deal. What a game for him. That interception was incredible. He just flat out took it from the guy and nearly ran it back for a TD had he not been down by contact. There wasn't anybody catching him. And for a LB'er to be able to run stride for stride with a receiver the way he did on that deep ball that wound up being an incompletion is insane. I think he's got All-Pro potential written all over for him. I think Pace nailed that pick.

Lastly, I'll just say that going into next year, the Bears need to address the RB situation, because I think Jordan Howard needs to be replaced. He struggled to break tackles all year, and looked slower than usual on plays where he would get to the 2nd level. The Bears really need somebody more explosive who can take it the distance when he gets past those LB'ers and into the secondary. They need to find the next Kareem Hunt without the character issues. To me, that's going to be the most important thing the Bears do all off-season, because it could change the dynamic of the offense completely and make them a hell of a lot more explosive.

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Now its time to look forward,  the ending seems much worse than when you lose 11 games but the truth is,  we won 12 games , made the playoffs and have one of the better coaches in the league. Also a defense with no starters over 30. A developing QB, a offense that can play much better next year. 4 Pro bowl starters.  Mack and Smith at full speed out of the gate. We have a bright side here. So I'm ready to move forward. 

If you had told me In August about this season going the way it did I'd have taken it in a heartbeat, bad kicking and all.  I think we got the right head coach for Trubisky.  I think we have the right QB for the future and look forward to him improving after a second offseason in this offense.  And we get to watch Khalil Mack again next year!   

I see some of the posts about how the injuries went our way this year but that's in part because they've been so lopsided against us in recent years.  We lost a couple key players for this game most notably Jackson, but also Callahan and Trey Burton, plus we had Kyle Long back but he wasn't 100% if you noticed him limping a bit when he was running. 

Next year should see an improved Kevin Tolliver, Bilal Nichols, James Daniels,  Mitchell Trubisky, Anthony Miller ( who will get his shoulder fixed so he can lift his left arm which might have made that one long catch stay a completion), Roquan Smith, Leonard Floyd, and Deon Bush.  

Bush wasn't Eddie Jackson but can he do what Amos has done this past year?  I think so.  In doing some quick cap space math and I'm thinking we could sign FA Gould if we let Amos go.  It will depend on what Gould wants in a deal but if he doesn't want to break the bank and it's somewhat team friendly we might squeak it in.  That could require a little help from Kyle Long with an extension that lowers his cap hit.   If we let Coward take over at RT then it's easy to do.  

I give McManis a ton of credit because he played well in Callahan's absence.  With his injury history Callahan's price has come way down but I'd like to see him return.  Perhaps we can agree on a 1 or 2 year deal that gives him some bonus but keeps him young enough to really cash in on his next contract if he can stay healthy.      

I dont think they get rid of Howard,  he'll be making 750,000 next year. He found a role in our offense.  What we need to do is add another body , replace Cunningham and Mizzell.  I think Hunt may be available after a rehab stink and then promote Nall.

I think the draft finds us some new players even with missing the first few rounds,  I think Paces best trait is finding later round picks. Nichols,  Cohen,  Howard, Jackson  just to name a few. A few cheap FAs and in house development and we are a stronger team next year.

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I dont think they get rid of Howard,  he'll be making 750,000 next year. He found a role in our offense.  What we need to do is add another body , replace Cunningham and Mizzell.  I think Hunt may be available after a rehab stink and then promote Nall.

I think the draft finds us some new players even with missing the first few rounds,  I think Paces best trait is finding later round picks. Nichols,  Cohen,  Howard, Jackson  just to name a few. A few cheap FAs and in house development and we are a stronger team next year.

There is no way that Hunt plays for the Bears.  That is a PR nightmare.  

Peace

13 hours ago, Elgin Slim said:

The sad thing about this is that there is no way in hell they're this healthy next season. What a gutshot and a huge wasted opportunity. 

I don't know, we lost Trubisky, Long, Robinson, Mack, Jackson, Callahan, Miller, and Lynch to several games. 3 missed the playoff game.

1 hour ago, adam said:

I don't know, we lost Trubisky, Long, Robinson, Mack, Jackson, Callahan, Miller, and Lynch to several games. 3 missed the playoff game.

Agree and as AZ pointed out it feels like we had an exceptional year at staying healthy partly because we have had season after season of mash unit football.  Perhaps we have a better training staff in house now that's helping our guys stay on the field better.  Either way Injuries are one of the variables that you can't always control.  

1 minute ago, BearFan2000 said:

Agree and as AZ pointed out it feels like we had an exceptional year at staying healthy partly because we have had season after season of mash unit football.  Perhaps we have a better training staff in house now that's helping our guys stay on the field better.  Either way Injuries are one of the variables that you can't always control.  

Oh I was just saying that I see this as an average year of injuries and this should be what we expect going forward. I don't think we were better off than other teams, just better than our previous teams. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

One thing to consider is they have a pretty good idea who all or most of the starters are for the next few years.  Now they can concentrate on the 2nd and 3rd string players, most of who I think are already on the team, to build up the ‘next man up’ if/when it’s needed.  

This year when they were needed, most of the backups held up pretty well. Players like Tolliver, McManis, Mizzel, Wims, Nall and Brauneker did well in spot duty and showed promise in reserve roles. 

I chose not to post last night in the heat of the moment.  My thought as the game wound down was this is my worst nightmare it's going to come down to a FG to win it and he's going to blow it.   I was beyond mad at Parkey and yelled CUT HIM NOW!  Even told my wife they should have tied him to the upright... I wanted to post so bad but chose instead to watch some The Office on Netflix as I needed to watch something silly and pointless. My other idea was to load up COD and go on a rampage lol.

Now that I've had time to calm and reflect.  It's easy to point the finger at Parkey and some of that is pent up frustration of seeing him miss a lot of kicks this season and this isn't the first game winner he's missed.  We now know the kick was tipped.  It also should not have come to that.  We held the Eagles offense to 3 points in the first half and walked into halftime having only put up 6 points ourselves.  One of our FG's was off a short field on a turnover if I recall correctly.  The first half was our shot at putting the Eagles in a hole and we didn't do that.  Opportunity missed.  We come out in the second half and the D gives up a TD aided by 3 big penalties that gave them big chunks of yards.  On the TD we only had 10 players on the field. We come back and score our own TD, but rather than run a conventional 2 pt conversion to make it a 7 point game we get cute and throw in a backfield of defensive guys and fail.  Late in the 4th we have the ball and the 5 point lead and fail to move the ball and at the worst time Pat has a horrible punt and they get the ball with half the field to go for a go ahead TD.  The D had several opportunities to stop them but they kept converting and manage to score on 4th and goal from a couple yards out.  They failed on their 2 pt conversion.  Cohen gets a huge return and Mitch guides the offense down the field with less than a min to go and gets us within Parkey's range only to have the attempt partly blocked.    We could have played much better in all three phases of this game to where it wouldn't have come down to a FG to win it.  

What I don't want to listen to is another week of how great Foles is.  The media worship of him this past week has been almost on the level of Favre, Rodgers, Brady butt kissing.  There are a few level headed Eagles fans that realize they are playing with house money. The rest are obnoxious.  

While this loss stings because we know our team is talented enough to hang with best of them.  We expected more from this game namely a win.  The Bears exceeded my expectations for them this year I like many of us felt we were a year away from making serious noise. I'm closing to look at the positives from this season and this game.  We went 12-4 with a new head coach, new offense, many new pieces on offense, a QB in his first full season under a new offense.  We went from a top 10 D to one that really came into it's own this season.  We have a really good front 7 and a playmaking secondary on the back end.  We are a young team and unlike Bears past playoff experiences it's not a one off or surprise season.  We aren't going away and are built to compete for the foreseeable future.  

12 minutes ago, BearFan2000 said:

What I don't want to listen to is another week of how great Foles is.  The media worship of him this past week has been almost on the level of Favre, Rodgers, Brady butt kissing.  There are a few level headed Eagles fans that realize they are playing with house money. The rest are obnoxious.  

I’m convinced at this point no one is beating NO on the NFC side.  Was pretty sure we weren’t going to do it.  Don’t worry the Foles ass kissing train will end soon. 

All the rest of your post was spot on.  All three phases faltered enough to make an impact in last night’s game.  Unfortunately Parkey had to do the closing act when he failed to come through but yep, it was a team loss...plain and simple.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I’m convinced at this point no one is beating NO on the NFC side.  Was pretty sure we weren’t going to do it.  Don’t worry the Foles ass kissing train will end soon. 

All the rest of your post was spot on.  All three phases faltered enough to make an impact in last night’s game.  Unfortunately Parkey had to do the closing act when he failed to come through but yep, it was a team loss...plain and simple.  

Agree on NO.   I have a good feeling that Philly's reality check will finally cash out next week.  If we'd have put up more offense we'd have won and it wouldn't have come to a last sec kick.  The Saints have offense in spades and their house is a tough place to play at.  Their D is pretty decent as well.   I'm rooting for a Saints vs Colts  Super Bowl.    

What's interesting is this weekend all but one of the lower seeded teams won their matchups.  Both #6 seeds beat the #3 seeds, Chargers at #5 beat the #4 Ravens.  Cowboys were the only higher seed to win their matchup by beating the Seahawks.   

I'd forgotten about the National Championship game being last night.  As a ND fan I pretty much lost interest last week other than rooting for Clemson to beat Bama.  Wish I'd have watched it.  Alabama getting stomped always brings a smile to my face.    Assuming by the comment there was some goal post hitting going on in the kicking game last night?

11 hours ago, BearFan2000 said:

I'd forgotten about the National Championship game being last night.  As a ND fan I pretty much lost interest last week other than rooting for Clemson to beat Bama.  Wish I'd have watched it.  Alabama getting stomped always brings a smile to my face.    Assuming by the comment there was some goal post hitting going on in the kicking game last night?

Just a couple but it took two kickers on two attempts to make as much noise as Parkey can do on a single kick.  

On 1/5/2019 at 10:09 AM, adam said:

Yeah, I don't want to be over-confident, but we should win handily. Minnesota is a better team than Philly and we dominated them with a few guys out. 

We just can't beat ourselves. All the analytics point to a win. My biggest concern is Parkey shitting the bed and missing a couple of kicks and keeping the Eagles in the game. 

Ugh, freaking Parkey. Weakest link on the team.