Why is 3-4 DE being ignored?

jason

The question is valid. Opposite of Hicks is a void with minimal production and average promise. I think 3-4DE is more of a need than OLB. 

Nobody even really knows who the starter is there for 2019.

I’d love to see Jerry Tillery slip because of off-field concerns. He could be great in the role.

The starters are Hicks, Goldman, Nichols. Backups are RRH and Bullard. Bullard is very average and has not shined. But RRH and Nichols have looked good. That also resigned Nick Williams to back up Goldman for the second year. So they must like him a little. 

Yes they could use one strong draft pick but I think they will draft some depth players in positions where we could have cap casualties next year. To replace Long, Prince and Trevathan because of their high price contracts. Plus they will definitely draft a RB even thou you won't like it. I just seen a mock draft that satisfied a few needs that look good to me. 

Hooker in the third which can play S or CB .

Max Scharpling in the fourth who can play OG or OT. Which could end up taking Longs place or be a swing OT backup.

Mike Weber in the 5th round. I have been watching a lot of tape on him and I have to admit he looks pretty good. We actually have met with him 3 times.

7a  Carl Granderson/edge

7b  Mark Fields/CB.

3 hours ago, jason said:

The question is valid. Opposite of Hicks is a void with minimal production and average promise. I think 3-4DE is more of a need than OLB. 

Nobody even really knows who the starter is there for 2019.

I’d love to see Jerry Tillery slip because of off-field concerns. He could be great in the role.

I'd love to see Pace draft him in the 3rd Rd.  I don't view DE as a big need, much like I don't view OG as big need.  There is some depth there but adding a player like Tillery would make our Dline stupid good.  How do you even run against that front with fast ILBs in Trevathan and Smith right behind them.  We've had some good defenses since 1985/6 seasons and they always get compared to that team but haven't measured up.  IMO adding Tillery to this front 7 could put this defense in that category.  

I agree that DE is a place where you wouldn't have to supplant a pretty good player when you draft a stud.

That said, I don't think the studs are there in the 3rd.

This could be next year's first or second round pick perhaps.

That said, we have some pretty good bodies there already, and we need to get ahead of the curve on Trevathan, Long and Amukamara.

I think Pace is doing very well, and setting us up to be a strong team for as long as Trubisky is playing well.

10 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Do they view Nichols as legit or Skiner, I think DB is the bigger need. Have to replace two next year. The draft isnt about instant starters, but guys who develop. I see Nichols making an impact with more opportunity.

Nichols had quite a few splash plays but he also got moved around off the LOS a lot last year.  I like his future potential and he's definitely in the rotation but he has things to improve upon.  

4 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Nichols had quite a few splash plays but he also got moved around off the LOS a lot last year.  I like his future potential and he's definitely in the rotation but he has things to improve upon.  

As a small school, late round rookie, he does have a ways to go. He has a great mentor to follow in Hicks, so hopefully he makes improvements now that he has seen where he lacks.  I think they like his potential to be a future staple along the line. I think if they feel they need more talent, they would fill it with a vet being they are close to the chase.  But going BPA, if a premiere talent falls, scoop him up. 

If Nichols is inked in as the starter, that’s a problem. He is definitely below average.

Meanwhile, everyone seems to think OLB is a high priority, despite having the best one in maybe the entire NFL, and a first rounder with massive potential on the other side.

That just doesn’t make much sense. Put someone better in Nichols’s spot, and everyone benefits.

He is listed as a starter and started the last 5 games. There is usually a big jump from year 1 to 2 because of adapting  to playing at NFL speed and the fact they get stronger on a program. Yes a stud there would upgrade the front 7 but there is no guarantee one will be there  in the third round.. Anybody as BPA Im ok with. If LDT, or OLB, but I really dont see a WR or NT at that spot. 

53 minutes ago, jason said:

If Nichols is inked in as the starter, that’s a problem. He is definitely below average.

Meanwhile, everyone seems to think OLB is a high priority, despite having the best one in maybe the entire NFL, and a first rounder with massive potential on the other side.

That just doesn’t make much sense. Put someone better in Nichols’s spot, and everyone benefits.

With OLB, it is about depth because Aaron Lynch is on a one year deal. If one is available they like, they draft.  At 87, they cannot count on anyone being there but have to be ready to take BPA. If a DE is there they feel good about, then maybe they take one since I do not see Bullard coming back after the season.  Nichols will elevate and hopefully Bullard plays with a do or die niche to get a payday.  DBs will be hit hard and heavy, they have been thin there and lost two of their best.  I wouldn't be surprised if they go rd 3 and 4 there.  

PFF lists him as above average at #32 DE.  This is from a rookie who wasnt supposed to play or be depended on. I dont think he is maxed out for potential yet. Rotate him and RRH and they will be fine.  We have 5 pick, if a stud falls then do it. 

"Nichols played 328 snaps, fourth-most on the defensive line. He finished the season with 28 tackles (five for loss), three sacks, seven quarterback hits, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery."

"Bullard had a disappointing season, registering 18 tackles and no sacks. He had just one quarterback hit. Robertson-Harris had a pretty good season. It was just his second season as a defensive lineman since bulking up and making the move from linebacker. He had 22 tackles, 3 sacks, and 11 quarterback hits."

8 hours ago, jason said:

unsigned FA:   Ndamukong Suh,  Wilkerson,  Ansah, Jernigan and more.  I don't know what's left in the tank for many of them but we could find some help at least as a depth/rotation player if we wanted to.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/defensive-line/

The guy that keeps sticking in my mind as a possibility on the DL is Khalen Saunders from Western Illinois.  He doesn't have the height that you usually want in a 5T, but all the stuff I've read talk about how he's a guy you can put anywhere on the line and just gets constant penetration, kind of what we heard about Aaron Donald when he was coming out.  That seems like the kind of guy Pace would like - small school with production, really athletic, but versatile so he could spell pretty much anyone on the line in a rotation, and I think I read somewhere that some teams have worked him out on offense.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/26553401/backflips-basketball-baby-legend-nfl-draft-prospect-khalen-saunders

11 hours ago, dawhizz said:

The guy that keeps sticking in my mind as a possibility on the DL is Khalen Saunders from Western Illinois.  He doesn't have the height that you usually want in a 5T, but all the stuff I've read talk about how he's a guy you can put anywhere on the line and just gets constant penetration, kind of what we heard about Aaron Donald when he was coming out.  That seems like the kind of guy Pace would like - small school with production, really athletic, but versatile so he could spell pretty much anyone on the line in a rotation, and I think I read somewhere that some teams have worked him out on offense.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/26553401/backflips-basketball-baby-legend-nfl-draft-prospect-khalen-saunders

He's an interesting prospect but he's not anywhere close to the athlete Aaron Donald is.   In the NFL, once he gets in shape for it, he'll be a two-gap player who occasionally will take advantage of a mistake by the OG to get upfield for a big play.   I think Nichols was better as a prospect because of his height and length.   

On 4/21/2019 at 5:47 PM, jason said:

Where do you get that Nichols is below average? I agree that we have a need across from Hicks, but Nichols seems like a solid rotational player to fill in for Goldman and Hicks, and get some occasional reps in across from Hicks. 

In less snaps than Goldman and RRH, Nichols had comparable, if not, better raw numbers. 

Goldman - 552 snaps, 3 sacks, 5 TFL
RRH - 353 snaps, 3 sacks, 3 TFL
Nichols - 328 snaps, 3 sacks, 5 TFL, 2 FFB

On 4/23/2019 at 8:41 AM, adam said:

Where do you get that Nichols is below average? I agree that we have a need across from Hicks, but Nichols seems like a solid rotational player to fill in for Goldman and Hicks, and get some occasional reps in across from Hicks. 

In less snaps than Goldman and RRH, Nichols had comparable, if not, better raw numbers. 

Goldman - 552 snaps, 3 sacks, 5 TFL
RRH - 353 snaps, 3 sacks, 3 TFL
Nichols - 328 snaps, 3 sacks, 5 TFL, 2 FFB

The comparisons don’t work. Goldman is a different position with different responsibility, and RRH is also subpar.

Why I feel comfortable saying this is the fact that neither RRH nor Nichols ever really stepped up and/or surprised last year. At best they were the DE equivalent of QB game managers.

The comparisons don’t work. Goldman is a different position with different responsibility, and RRH is also subpar.

Why I feel comfortable saying this is the fact that neither RRH nor Nichols ever really stepped up and/or surprised last year. At best they were the DE equivalent of QB game managers.

As you say they are very average, you really think your going to get a difference maker in the 3rd round. I doubt that a middle round 5T is going to come in and beat out 2 developmental

players already on the roster. you will see a step up in production as Nichols gains more strength and experience.

9 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

As you say they are very average, you really think your going to get a difference maker in the 3rd round. I doubt that a middle round 5T is going to come in and beat out 2 developmental

players already on the roster. you will see a step up in production as Nichols gains more strength and experience.

I’m saying we know what those dudes are. It’s a weak spot. If a 3-4DE is there with good value, it should be getting more focus than positions like OLB and TE, where starters are much better.