OL

Mongo3451

After three games, it is clear to me that the OL unit rested on the laurels of last year.  I'm not concerned because there has been steady improvement from week to week.  Daniels will be fine at center once he gets his calls right.  Leno looks he didn't work at all in camp, but is battling.  Long looks very rusty, hopefully not washed up.

My main thought is that Nagy had the entire offensive side of the team not ready for the start of the season.  Looks like he's righting the ship weekly.

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

After three games, it is clear to me that the OL unit rested on the laurels of last year.  I'm not concerned because there has been steady improvement from week to week.  Daniels will be fine at center once he gets his calls right.  Leno looks he didn't work at all in camp, but is battling.  Long looks very rusty, hopefully not washed up.

My main thought is that Nagy had the entire offensive side of the team not ready for the start of the season.  Looks like he's righting the ship weekly.

I see it that way too. The entire Offense looks rusty and out of rhythm, and is slowly finding itself.

Then again, we've only lost one game, and we 100% avoided injuries in the preseason.

So maybe Nagy's gamble is paying off? Still it's not one I'd have made. We were 'this close' to 0-2...

Also, Long looks awful.

Its more apparent this year than last that taking the whole preseason off wasn't a good idea.  I get the concerns of injuries but the opposite issue is what we're seeing now and as NY points out our team was 'this close' to going 1-2.  Had the Redskins been a better team; like Minnesota, like Dallas or maybe even Philly we could have very well been looking at that record.  'So far' everyone in our division has a winning record so its even more imperative our team get their collective sh#t together.  

I honestly haven't seen the breakdown in the OL as much as the rest of you have claimed, or at least for the same reason.  The troubles I see reflect more of the lack of Trubisky to stretch the field so the opposing defense is able to stack the box, putting as many as 8 defenders within 5 yards of the LOS.  When they are playing man-to-man on coverage knowing Trubisky can't hit the tight window or long range throws they can afford to send more people on the rush or to stuff the run.  Montgomery's success at running isn't coming from his first effort, its when he bounces outside or even catches in the flat.   With regards to the OLine struggles, it comes down to simple math.  Five blocking linemen (or even 7 if you add two tight ends) will lose every time to a rush of 6-8 people.   

49 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Its more apparent this year than last that taking the whole preseason off wasn't a good idea.  I get the concerns of injuries but the opposite issue is what we're seeing now and as NY points out our team was 'this close' to going 1-2.  Had the Redskins been a better team; like Minnesota, like Dallas or maybe even Philly we could have very well been looking at that record.  'So far' everyone in our division has a winning record so its even more imperative our team get their collective sh#t together.  

I honestly haven't seen the breakdown in the OL as much as the rest of you have claimed, or at least for the same reason.  The troubles I see reflect more of the lack of Trubisky to stretch the field so the opposing defense is able to stack the box, putting as many as 8 defenders within 5 yards of the LOS.  When they are playing man-to-man on coverage knowing Trubisky can't hit the tight window or long range throws they can afford to send more people on the rush or to stuff the run.  Montgomery's success at running isn't coming from his first effort, its when he bounces outside or even catches in the flat.   With regards to the OLine struggles, it comes down to simple math.  Five blocking linemen (or even 7 if you add two tight ends) will lose every time to a rush of 6-8 people.   

It probably wasn't as noticeable last season since we really didn't know what to expect.  This year, we expected better.

The offensive line has been brutal all year. They've made incremental improvements in pass protection, but the penalties and not being able to open up running lanes for their RB's has had a hugely negative impact on the entire offense, including QB.

Kyle Long looks like he's about done. The injuries have taken their toll on him. He doesn't look the same. He doesn't move the same way he once did. James Daniels hasn't been good either. 

The Offensive Line has been the worst unit on the team, which has impacted all the skill position players on offense. Between penalties, missed assignments, or just bad blocking. They are in the bottom 10 of the league and 32nd in short-yardage situations. If you haven't noticed, players are getting blown up behind the LOS on almost every run. Montgomery is working his magic just to gain 2-3 yards. Leno hasn't been bad, but has had some penalties. Daniels has been terrible. Long has been brutal, and Lucas was probably the best one of the bunch last night, which is saying a lot. Helfrich should be getting a lot more flak for how bad they are playing. This is the same starting 5 from last season, no excuse not to be in sync. If the problem is Daniels, put him back at Guard. Forget about Trubisky, the team is only going to go as far as the O-Line takes them. 

It all starts up from. Just look at the Trubisky to Gabriel TD pass, Trubisky had less than 2 seconds before he had to avoid pressure. There is no way we can make any long passes because Trubisky doesn't get the time to let those plays develop. He is still missing some throws and the INT was a brutal pass, but otherwise he ended the game with 25 completions and only 6 incompletions, with 2 drops for sure. 

On a side note, we really have to work on our special teams. We got gashed on a long kickoff return, and our returners (mainly Patterson) are continually taking the ball out of the end zone only to be tackled inside the 25. We can't keep backing our offense up like that. 

I agree with everything you say. They have been getting beat one on one all year, we can say Long doesnt have it anymore but what is the excuse for the rest of the line. They have totally affected our offensive rhythm. MT has his own faults but if this totally affects his poise and consistency overall. I believe the run game is affected a lot by no fullback. I see they have been playing the new TE as a H back to compensate for no FB. I think Nagy figures it out, but it has a long way to go.