Chargers at Bears - Week 8 - Official Game Thread (Sun, Oct 27, 12:00 PM CT/FOX/Bears -4, O/U 41)

adam

The Chargers are 2-5, and are in worse shape than the Bears somehow. Keenan Allen DNP on Thursday due to a hamstring injury. McManis is the only Bear listed on report. Derwin James, like Hicks is out. 

This is a great game to get the running game going as the Chargers are 21st against the run. 

All of the Chargers losses (5) have been by a TD or less. 

I have very little faith in this team, but based on what I have seen from the news conferences and media interviews, the team finally seems to be pissed off. Hopefully, they take it out on the Chargers this week. I am predicting a dominant performance with a defensive TD. 

Bears roll 27-13

• adam featured this topic

The Chargers are as determined as the Bears to make the playoffs, so says Philip Rivers anyhow.  Problem is, believe it or not they are struggling more than the Bears at this point...and have to come to Chicago.  I would have said the same thing last week about New Orleans but as you pointed out, 'if they can't beat the depleted Saints' (missing three key starters) well.... 

Anyhow, Rivers is returning for his 15th(?) season and has been pretty consistent.  He's currently at 66.3 completion % (64.6 career) with 11TDs and 6 INTs this year.  He seems to 'almost' always pull off a win and like you said, all their losses have been close ones.  (Their last win, four games ago, was against an even more miserable team in the Dolphins).  The Clemson version of Mike Williams looks to be the 'next man up' with Allen potentially being out.  The three year vet is on a similar pace to his last year stats with 23 receptions for 350 yards receiving at 15.2 yards avg BUT so far 0 TDs. Their TE Hunter Henry has been servicable and with our MLB struggle as of late might prove to be a challenge if he goes into that area.  Is Gordon playing because his stats show 36 carries for 81 yards so far.  And...they have a FB so I suspect with their WR's limited, they will concentrate more on the running game.

As you pointed out, their D is struggling. DE Joey Bosa has been giving some teams fits (5 sacks so far this year - I suspect a few more on Sunday) and the other DE Melvin  Ingram is 'meh' with 11 tackles and 1 sack.  The 'ancient one, 36 year old' Thomas Davis Sr. anchors the LB corps  but he's a shell of his former self.  And I want to say RCB Casey Hayward is decent or does his name only make me think of "Ironhead' Heyward? 

My guess is 21-17 or 14 with the Bears pulling out a win.

15 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

The Chargers are as determined as the Bears to make the playoffs, so says Philip Rivers anyhow.  Problem is, believe it or not they are struggling more than the Bears at this point...and have to come to Chicago.  I would have said the same thing last week about New Orleans but as you pointed out, 'if they can't beat the depleted Saints' (missing three key starters) well.... 

Anyhow, Rivers is returning for his 15th(?) season and has been pretty consistent.  He's currently at 66.3 completion % (64.6 career) with 11TDs and 6 INTs this year.  He seems to 'almost' always pull off a win and like you said, all their losses have been close ones.  (Their last win, four games ago, was against an even more miserable team in the Dolphins).  The Clemson version of Mike Williams looks to be the 'next man up' with Allen potentially being out.  The three year vet is on a similar pace to his last year stats with 23 receptions for 350 yards receiving at 15.2 yards avg BUT so far 0 TDs. Their TE Hunter Henry has been servicable and with our MLB struggle as of late might prove to be a challenge if he goes into that area.  Is Gordon playing because his stats show 36 carries for 81 yards so far.  And...they have a FB so I suspect with their WR's limited, they will concentrate more on the running game.

As you pointed out, their D is struggling. DE Joey Bosa has been giving some teams fits (5 sacks so far this year - I suspect a few more on Sunday) and the other DE Melvin  Ingram is 'meh' with 11 tackles and 1 sack.  The 'ancient one, 36 year old' Thomas Davis Sr. anchors the LB corps  but he's a shell of his former self.  And I want to say RCB Casey Hayward is decent or does his name only make me think of "Ironhead' Heyward? 

My guess is 21-17 or 14 with the Bears pulling out a win.

That's funny. They are as close to the worst team in the league (CIN at 0-7) than the 2nd WC (HOU at 4-3) and have already played 4 home games. They would probably need to go 8-1 to make the playoffs and besides playing us, they still have GB, MIN, and KC and OAK twice. Even two losses for the rest of the year would make them a 9 win team. 

Weather-wise, it looks like it is going to be in the low 50's at game time and in the high 40's during warm-ups. Bear weather!

This will be a Bears win, big.  Tru over 300 passing and 3 scores.  Monty w/ over 100 rushing/receiving and a score.  It won't tell us much other than leaving it still an unknown.  Beating a hurt/suspect club doesn't prove they are good.  Losing to them, would prove we are indeed truly bad.  I think this game simply kicks the can down the road for now.    

4 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

We are taking my Pops to this game.  He's a former football player, lifelong bears fan and never been to Soldier Field.  This is truly a bucket list item.  I got us 4th row seats on the 10 yard line, so that should make it a great experience. 

Bears in a beat down!

Mongo, that's awesome. This is definitely going to be a blow out win, too much good karma right there. Congrats to your Pops! 

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

We are taking my Pops to this game.  He's a former football player, lifelong bears fan and never been to Soldier Field.  This is truly a bucket list item.  I got us 4th row seats on the 10 yard line, so that should make it a great experience. 

Bears in a beat down!

fantastic!

5 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Bears in a beat down!

Thats great.  My dad and I went to the first game of the 85 season.  Our first game together.   So maybe you guys can give us some new mojo for the rest of the season

23 hours ago, Bill said:

Thats great.  My dad and I went to the first game of the 85 season.  Our first game together.   So maybe you guys can give us some new mojo for the rest of the season

My first football game ever was the first game of the 85 season with my Dad. Can’t beat those memories. 

Trubisky with a couple of better throws but man Nagy's plays with motion and misdirection are faking no one. 3 times was the defense sitting on the play and not going for the fake. 

Then Pineiro decides to aim right with wind from left to right and doinks it.  Ugh this team.