Bears extend Jackson

Connorbear

Got no real issue with it.  Sure he dropped a little in production but I don’t think he looked any worse.   I can’t remember any plays where I saw him get burnt.

Ive seen a few others comment that he would be better served complimented by a true SS.  HHCD seems more similar than not and not as good a tackler as I’d hoped.

Im guessing this was also done to help the team somehow with its salary cap while it prepares to look for new players elsewhere.  Or did it just eat up all that cap space Fullers restructure made yesterday? 

We really need a true SS. We had 2x FS's this year and it didn't work out as expected. We need a true in the box safety so EJack can roam and make plays in single high. I am starting to think that this needs to move up in priority, maybe after OL and TE. 

3 hours ago, adam said:

This is awesome and a great move to sign him this early. Now he sets the market and new free agents will start signing around him. 

What they need to do is find a real SS and let EJack hunt in centerfield.

100% with you here.  Great move on Pace's part to get ahead of the market.  Jamal Adams will soon set a new high.    I have read elsewhere but have not seen the data that Pretty Far Fetched (aka PFF) ranked BoJacks coverage ranked really high among safeties.  Tackling eh not so much.    This is the hardest piece to find among safeties, an elite center field type who can cover both sidelines.   Finding a legit SS to handle the underneath stuff is a definite need in this draft.  I think we're likely to go elsewhere in Rd 2 but safety just behind the other needs IMO.    If a RD 1 graded safety who fits the need drops to us just take BPA.    

On 1/4/2020 at 5:50 AM, adam said:

We really need a true SS. We had 2x FS's this year and it didn't work out as expected. We need a true in the box safety so EJack can roam and make plays in single high. I am starting to think that this needs to move up in priority, maybe after OL and TE. 

As a casual fan for most of life I watch football for entertainment.  I Try to see formations on offense, what scheme the def. is in, but I don't watch the all 22 or really play back more than just to see what happened.  So my question to all of you is this.  I have read on a few sights and perhaps even here about the difference between how Pagano likes to use his players and Fangio did.  My limited understanding is that Fangio was more of a basic 3-4 with little use of blitzes and a more conventional corner, safety def.  Cover 1-2 or 3 etc.  And a more conventional. ss and fs alignment.  Where as I believe Pangio is somewhat the same but does use some different front 7 combinations, blitz's a little more or shows pre snap, but also likes to interchange his safeties more and views them both the same.  Not that I'm questioning anyone opinion or knowledge, now that I'm semi retired I find I have more time to perhaps watch all those things and learn.  So now that I have showed my ignorance help me understand.  Or you could of course just tell me to shut up you old fool.

16 hours ago, Bill said:

So now that I have showed my ignorance help me understand.  Or you could of course just tell me to shut up you old fool.

Well first off Bill, keep the questions and comments coming. That's the nice thing about the site, "Talking" about Bears football is in the title.  Wrong, right or indifferent we're all entitled an opinion.  Lord knows I've had plenty of opportunities to shut it ... and I haven't.  

I won't pretend to be a football expert nor do I really know what the differences between Pagano and Fangio's style of defense.  So far what I do know is that both are good at what they do. Sure they do things a little different but they get results.  

I think it safe to say that with the loss of Amos we saw how nice his style of SS play complimented Jackson at FS.  Versus how does HHCD.  HHCD is very similar in his style of play where he's more a sideline to sideline cover safety versus 'in the box' tacking type like Amos.  Jackson is more like HHCD ... AND... they're both not great at tackling.  Jackson has the edge of takeaway-ability over HHCD.  

Generally speaking in a man-man style defense you like to have the hard-hitting SS to help in run support or short/intermediate pass coverage where they can stop the play in an instant.  Whereas in a zone alignment you might need more safety coverage over the top to aid in that coverage (something that isn't really Amos' forte).  Having one of each style of player (rangy ball hawking FS and solid thumping SS) for all four downs makes it easier for the defense to adjust to whatever down situation they're facing.  With two Safeties like Jackson and HHCD playing together, you leave the short and middle a bit more open.