Bears @ Falcons - Week 3 - Official Game Thread - 9/27, Bears +3.5, 12:00 PM CT, FOX

adam

So here we are, Week 3, with one undefeated team and one winless team. Even with that, the 0-2 Falcons start as 3.5 favorites against the 2-0 Bears. That just shows the lack of confidence in the Bears right now.

Who knows which Falcons team or Bears team will show up this week. The Bears have now held on to barely beat bad football teams with a ton of injuries. It feels like this is the first true test for the Bears. The Falcons have faced the Seahawks and Cowboys, two really good teams, and the Falcons offense has put up a ton of points, but their defense looks bad.

So it is underwhelming Bears offense vs bad Falcons defense against and solid Bears defense vs explosive Falcons offense. The Bears have to get pressure and cover 3 top receivers in Jones, Ridley, and Gage, plus Hurst at TE AND Gurley out of the backfield. 

I don't like this matchup as the Bears have not played this caliber of an offense yet, but have played some bad defenses.

Unless there is some surprise Falcons injury or huge letdown from their late-game collapse against the Cowboys, I don't see this being a very competitive game. I am thinking Falcons 31-21, with the Bears scoring late to make it look closer. 

• adam featured this topic
58 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Are you trying to psych the Falcon's out, lol?  I think you are going to see a gassed up defense and a Falcon's team that is one turnover away from throwing in the towel.  Bears win.

There is definitely a little reverse psychology going on. However, this is a road game against a solid team that. The Bears have yet to take advantage of bad defenses, so I don't see that changing. The Falcons are going to score in the high 20's or more. So unless we have a dominant defense showing with some turnovers and a full 4-quarters on offense, then this is going to be a tough win. 

Also another weird note, the Bears have yet to play a team that has won a game. DET, NYG, and ATL are a combined 0-6 on the season. 

With the Lions playing in Arizona and the Giants playing against the 49ers. If the Bears win, there is a good chance that they could go into Week 4 with a 3-0 record against teams with a combined 0-9 record. 

The first two opponents of the Falcons didnt have a pass rush. This is a game where we get some TOs. Their RT is out and Jones has been hampered by a hamstring injury. Did not play well against the Cowboys. I think the Dallas loss will cause the team to lose faith in Quinn, also if the D keeps staying so bad the O for Atlanta is going to have issues with them. I can see if we get up on them early and get a few TOs that their team will quit. 

Offense playing way to conservative, it's clear Nagy doesn't want Trubisky making any decisions. They can only get FG attempts at this point.

The defense got burnt on the first play and trail because of it. 

Not the start you want on the road against an injured team. 

So the last drive of the 1st quarter ends with 2 Trubisky deep balls that go 3 and 5 yards out of bounds, uncatchable. Down 6-3, all on Trubisky. The running game looks decent but the only plays Trubisky can make are one read throws to an open stationary receiver. It's sad. 

15 minutes ago, adam said:

So the last drive of the 1st quarter ends with 2 Trubisky deep balls that go 3 and 5 yards out of bounds, uncatchable. Down 6-3, all on Trubisky. The running game looks decent but the only plays Trubisky can make are one read throws to an open stationary receiver. It's sad. 

Your not making it sound like waiting till one west coast time to watch replay is worth it anymore.

1 minute ago, Bill said:

Your not making it sound like waiting till one west coast time to watch replay is worth it anymore.

No way, don't waste your time. Defense looks OK, but offense doing absolutely nothing against no name players. It's embarrassing. 

So the Bears finally put together one TD drive, but only due to a complete breakdown in coverage on the Falcons. Trubisky gets 45 yards on a scramble to setup an easy TD to Graham.

Then after stopping the Falcons and getting the ball back with timeouts and good field position, Trubisky can't hit a wide open Miller deep. 

I will say this is one of the most lopsided officiated games I have seen in a long time, and that is saying a lot. The Bears are getting called for penalties that they are not committing and the Falcons get called for nothing. 

Watch the Falcons long TD run by Hill. There are two holds right at the point of attack that opened up the hole, neither were called. Leno was called for a hold on a hook play, but it was more about his defender looking stupid trying to run around him. 

There is no way the Bears can beat the refs, if they don't call holding on the Falcons, it's game over. Nothing else even matters, because the Bears are playing shorthanded.

I’ve said it once, I’ll say it again.  Trubiksy is not the QB solution.  That being said the score would not have been set up the same as it was if Foles was the QB.  Trub is a 1.5 dimensional QB. Good at running and ok at short passing gains...that’s it.  

Maybe if they used he and Foles like they do Brees / Hill in NO that would be a better utilization of Mitchell.  

• adam unfeatured this topic