Bears @ Falcons - Week 3 - Official Game Thread - 9/27, Bears +3.5, 12:00 PM CT, FOX

adam

What a crazy turn of events. Trubisky throws the INT that looks to seal the game. They put Foles in with what looks like will be garbage time down 26-10 with 6 mins left and he brings them back so fast that they have to get a first down on offense to take 3 kneels to seal the win. Wow! 

1 minute ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

So looks like Nick Foles the rest of the way  eh?  3-0 despite it all.

Un-freakin-believable. 

It has to be Foles. You can see his decision making and he is decisive with his throws. Trubisky can't make some of those throws because he can't process everything fast enough. The receivers are going to love Foles because he throws a more catchable ball than Trubisky. 

Just now, adam said:

It has to be Foles. You can see his decision making and he is decisive with his throws. Trubisky can't make some of those throws because he can't process everything fast enough. The receivers are going to love Foles because he throws a more catchable ball than Trubisky. 

Yeah and as the announcer pointed out, the Bears actually had 5 TDs since Foles came in but only three of them counted.  We lose mobility with Foles in but I’ll take his accuracy, decision making and calmness in the pocket every day.  

Nick Foles could have very easily had 5 touchdowns in a quarter. The touchdown to Robinson that got overturned (that shouldn't have been) and the Anthony Miller drop on 4th down happened before his other 3 TD's. Very impressive to have that kind of poise despite the adversity, which is why I loved the idea of getting Nick Foles to begin with. 

At the end of the day, the Bears are 3-0 against teams with a combined record of 0-9. I've never seen anything like this, and it makes it impossible to get an accurate reading on how good this team is. They shoot themselves in the foot, but still find ways to win the game at the end.

That being said, they are a better 3-0 team with Nick Foles at quarterback. They just are. Anybody who watched that game could see an obvious difference in the way one quarterback can throw it downfield versus the other guy. Trubisky can't beat you if you force everything outside the hashmarks. He is incapable of making accurate passes when going vertical, and that's the one thing Nick Foles appears to be really good at. A great example of that is the play to Miller to end the game. Trubisky would not be able to make a pass like that with pressure in his face. Despite the obvious concerns, I am pretty pumped to see how the offense looks next week with Nick Foles getting a full week of practice.

Defensively, there appears to be some major problems. Once again, the pass rush is almost non existent, and the middle of the defense is getting torn apart. This is the 2nd game out of 3 the Bears have allowed well over 100 yards in a game on the ground. Eddie Goldman not playing is a big deal, and they need to get it figured out in a hurry. It also looks like the Danny Trevathon signing was a mistake. I called it when it happened, but there's no way they should have let Nick Kwiatkowski walk after the kind of season he had last year. It looks like Trevathon's injuries have caught up with him. He can't cover anybody anymore, and is a complete liability out there. I also don't think Roquan Smith is showing up as much as he should for being a top 10 draft pick. That worries me quite a bit...

Very winnable game next week against what I think is a pretty mediocre-to-below average team. They aren't as dangerous offensively as Atlanta, even without Julio Jones, but their defense is much better. 

3 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Usually I try to give the benefit of the doubt  to the refs but today I’m having a hard time with this performance.  

Yeah - they were really bad -  in the end though - crazy fun win. Huge game by Foles and defense awoke in 2nd half. Pass rush was actually good too - which was nice. Too many penalties though.

Foles is not a great QB but he is a better QB than Mitch and can read the defense and actually made some downfield plays, which was huge and should open things up a lot for the rushing game etc. 

Robinson and Miller both need to come down with those TDs. 

3 hours ago, adam said:

That td pass to Miller for the win was money. Mitch doenst make that play. Foles took the hit and delivered.

Foles had some lousy throws and a bit of luck but he also is just so calm out there. 

14 hours ago, adam said:

What a crazy turn of events. Trubisky throws the INT that looks to seal the game. They put Foles in with what looks like will be garbage time down 26-10 with 6 mins left and he brings them back so fast that they have to get a first down on offense to take 3 kneels to seal the win. Wow! 

5 of his 6 drives went into the end zone. As much as he was a little off in the beginning, he throws to the end zone , what a great idea. I went from being optimist, to suicidal to having a football orgasm. Since football is an entertainment view, I would have to say the Bears have one of the better drama shows on the circuit right now. 

18 hours ago, adam said:

For sure, I was about to turn off the TV after that pick as I was sure we'd just get buried.  I'll give Nagy credit for having the guts to pull the plug on Mitch in game.  We've seen enough, and you have to try something different.  And what a difference there was.  The way it all went down I have to think they went into this game with Foles being at least prepared in case they needed to pull Mitch. Knowing we were going to have to put up points to compete.   And Mitch was the starter on a short leash.  Otherwise I don't know if Nagy makes the move.  I'm sure the Falcons hadn't prepared for Foles exclusively, and lets face it preparing for Mitch isn't a difficult task.  But you could see a difference.  Foles looks confident, composed, and decisive.  He's less mobile but I'll take the improved accuracy and a QB who can go through his progressions.  He'll make his mistakes and I don't assume what happened in that quarter and a half will be the norm, but I do expect the offense to be more efficient and effective with him under center.  I'm glad we got him in the offseason.  

2 hours ago, BearFan2000 said:

For sure, I was about to turn off the TV after that pick as I was sure we'd just get buried.  I'll give Nagy credit for having the guts to pull the plug on Mitch in game.  We've seen enough, and you have to try something different.  And what a difference there was.  The way it all went down I have to think they went into this game with Foles being at least prepared in case they needed to pull Mitch. Knowing we were going to have to put up points to compete.   And Mitch was the starter on a short leash.  Otherwise I don't know if Nagy makes the move.  I'm sure the Falcons hadn't prepared for Foles exclusively, and lets face it preparing for Mitch isn't a difficult task.  But you could see a difference.  Foles looks confident, composed, and decisive.  He's less mobile but I'll take the improved accuracy and a QB who can go through his progressions.  He'll make his mistakes and I don't assume what happened in that quarter and a half will be the norm, but I do expect the offense to be more efficient and effective with him under center.  I'm glad we got him in the offseason.  

Once they started run blitzing and changing up coverages, Mitch had that deer in the headlights look. Foles is not perfect, but he is way better than Trubisky in pretty much every category other than mobility. It's funny because Foles gets some criticism for his play in LA and JAX, but no one talks about the teams he was on, his leading WR in LA was Tavon freaking Austin, and in JAX, he got hurt in Game 1, then came back with his defense allowing 33, 42, and 28 pts. In his 4 starts for JAX, the defense allowed a total of 143 pts. 

At the end of the day, the HC and QB relationship is the most important in sports. They have to be on the same sheet of music and trust each other. Nagy is a former QB and you can tell by his comments that Foles is in sync with him. Trubisky reminds me of a better Tim Tebow. Tebow is the better overall athlete, and Mitch is probably a better overall QB. However, neither could read defenses or make split second decisions. They survived as long as they did on their athleticism and sheer determination. 

• adam unfeatured this topic