Lemon's Mock 2.0 Last Swing And A Miss

lemonej

Pace has had me totally fooled throughout his tenure, yet I still try to figure out his mindset. This is my last attempt before the draft.

20. Tevin Jenkins OT Oklahoma St.

Hoping this puts Leno Jr. on the June 1st cut list

32. Pace trades back into the first round gives up 52 in 2021, 2nd in 2022 and Anthony Miller

Kyle Trask  QB Fla

83. Shaun Wade CB Ohio St. If his meds check out we have 2 young CBs for the future.

164. Alaric Jackson OT Iowa  if Pace is in true job security mode another OT prospect for depth and starting potential is needed.

204. Jonathon Cooper Edge Ohio St. Robert Quinn consider yourself one and done

208. Tyree Gillespie Safety Missouri This is where Pace finds gems in the Secondary.

221. Kerry Yeboah TE Ole Miss This would not be a Pace draft or offseason without a TE addition.

228. Rachad Wildgoose CB Wisconsin The typical late round special teammer. 

This is my attempt at trying to figure out what Pace would do and I know I don't have a clue but he keeps us talking!

I would love Jenkins but he is only a right tackle.  He is physical and has a nasty attitude,  something this needs a lot. As far as Trask,  he will be there at 52 and could be there at 83 Mond and Mills are rated higher and will be drafted sooner. I seem to be missing where u picked a WR, something they will definitely be doing. 

I like the general idea. The June first Leno is nice too :)

Trading up into the 1st round after a first round pick has already been made to snag a QB, and maybe even reach a bit for him, because you get the 5th year option seems possible.

Id love it to be an OT, especially on the left side. But if it was Jenkins anchoring a running game, that wouldnt be so bad.

A blue chip Edge player might be too attractive to pass up at #20 too, even though we aren't talking about it much (I see you added one at #204, so you're thinking that too).

However it shakes out, I hope we get a QB, and he turns out to be a good player for us.

They are putting themselves in position to take BPA with starters at every position.  Minus no RB,  IOL,  DT,  and S.  Sam Cosmi and Darrisaw may be available at 20 both are LTs. Something to think about.  Our OL coach was at Michigan before coming here and knows Mayfield well. Tom Herman was Cosmi's coach at Texas.  I can see us move back in first round and could still grab one of them. The problem with finding a replacement for Leno,  with limited practice  how will you determine if the rookie is good enough to cut Leno before preseason? Leno is unfortunately going to be here. On the other hand,  Jenkins is a plug and play at RT and already better than IFEDI. 

Two positions I had trouble finding good prospects at my picks without trying a couple of trades was WR and ILB. I have the feeling that they think that Ridley will step up because, he needs to. In a couple previous mocks I did I liked Amon -Ra St Brown but with me trading the 2nd rounder took me off that target because that is the round that the run will start at WR IMO.

13 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

They are putting themselves in position to take BPA with starters at every position.  Minus no RB,  IOL,  DT,  and S.  Sam Cosmi and Darrisaw may be available at 20 both are LTs. Something to think about.  Our OL coach was at Michigan before coming here and knows Mayfield well. Tom Herman was Cosmi's coach at Texas.  I can see us move back in first round and could still grab one of them. The problem with finding a replacement for Leno,  with limited practice  how will you determine if the rookie is good enough to cut Leno before preseason? Leno is unfortunately going to be here. On the other hand,  Jenkins is a plug and play at RT and already better than IFEDI. 

I agree with this. As much as I want to see Leno gone, it will be hard to plug in a rookie to start on day 1 from a pick at #20, and even harder with the shortened time for work.

All the more reason this should have been addressed last year. But it is going to be a process.

17 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

I agree with this. As much as I want to see Leno gone, it will be hard to plug in a rookie to start on day 1 from a pick at #20, and even harder with the shortened time for work.

All the more reason this should have been addressed last year. But it is going to be a process.

Agreed and to be honest there may be more than Leno that falls on the June 1st cut list and what is acquired during the draft because Christian Jones was an under the radar signing and seeing Trevathan exposed in coverage repeatedly at the end of the season makes him and Miller cut candidates if they don't get moved at draft time and they pick up players at both those positions.

I don't think Trevathan is going anywhere.  His post June 1st cut saves only 482, 000 . It would cost more for a backup than the money you save. He started slow  ( lack of workouts) but played well the second half of the season.  Leno not going anywhere either.  

3 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I don't think Trevathan is going anywhere.  His post June 1st cut saves only 482, 000 . It would cost more for a backup than the money you save. He started slow  ( lack of workouts) but played well the second half of the season.  Leno not going anywhere either.  

I'm hoping Leno is a backup by halfway through the season - i think that he is probably the OLT starter opening day. Grrrr.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

If they can draft Darrisaw,  he could possibly start this yr.  Jenkins is strictly a RT, Cosmi needs to build some core strength before he starts. Otherwise a few of the OT may start on the right side but probably only the first 3 will be LT starters day one. 

yeah, it's a rare OL that is plug and play from day one at OLT. You almost always see people sit and go to the weight room, or start at guard or right tackle before sliding over when then have a feel for the NFL. Then again, Leno ain't so great either.

15 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

If they can draft Darrisaw,  he could possibly start this yr.  Jenkins is strictly a RT, Cosmi needs to build some core strength before he starts. Otherwise a few of the OT may start on the right side but probably only the first 3 will be LT starters day one. 

I have Darrishaw as the third best LOT in the draft.  Would love to have him.

18 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

That savings can go to the draft picks. Did you see what I said about why he needs to be gone? He was getting exposed in coverage and it was happening repeatedly.

On 4/21/2021 at 9:08 AM, BearFan NYC said:

Interesting point about Trevathan. I hadnt thought about him with all the other issues weve been having. Miller seems obvious.

Valid.  Having brought in Jones does make you wonder if for nothing else he's a depth player.  And with Trevathan getting older and is slow anyhow, maybe that's why they brought him in.  However a couple 'what if's could be applied to Smith.  He was hurt twice(?) last year and lost some playing time because of it.  They brought in former first round pick Teo as his back up which didn't pan out (as since he's been released).  The other scenario that I recently considered; wasn't he part of the trade package that the Bears were looking at using for acquiring QB Wilson when they were negotiating with Seattle?  Still have to think that he could be a consideration for trade value if the team sees the need whatever the case.  So maybe they need an ILB for other reasons than just backing up Danny?  

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

Here's Mongo's latest draft and I love it.  Used the PFF simulator.

Screenshot_20210423-111529_Chrome.jpg

I REALLY like any draft board that involves Mond!  Most of the other picks all seem pretty solid. Still not sure about Meinerz.  I’m guessing you see him as a depth player since both Whitehair and Mustipher already cover the position as needed?  And Daniels could too in emergencies.  

On 4/23/2021 at 2:27 PM, Mongo3451 said:

I've scouted the heck out of him.  He's a bulldozer and a day one starter for someone.  He can play everything except LT.  He and Tevin Jenkins would make a nasty right side.

Okay Mongo where does Meinerz fit on this team? I see the interior as Daniels, Mustipher and Whitehair with Bars and Ifedi as depth especially if you take Jenkins with your first pick .He would be a backup on this team. 

2 minutes ago, lemonej said:

Okay Mongo where does Meinerz fit on this team? I see the interior as Daniels, Mustipher and Whitehair with Bars and Ifedi as depth especially if you take Jenkins with your first pick .He would be a backup on this team. 

Hey can play 4 positions.  This is my starting lineup.

Leno, Daniels, Whitehair, Meinerz, Jenkins.