2021 Nightmare Mock

jason

• 1st - Trade up for Trey Lance, QB, NDST - This would be a horrible move. Reeks of Trubisky. Will set the franchise back and cost too much. It would also mean a wasted first round pick on a clipboard holder, or $10M wasted on Andy Dalton. 
  • 2nd - Landon Dickerson, IOL, Bama - Normally I love OL and specifically Alabama OL, but this would piss me off because it's interior and not OT, and it's a guy with extensive injury history.
  • 3rd - Mid-Rd Safety Reach w/ OT available - Two or three solid OTs are there, one of which probably should have been a second rounder. Pace reaches for a Obi Melifonwu-type who has the measurables but minimal statistics to back it up.
  • 5th - Michael Carter, RB, North Carolina - Small RB? Check. Bad team? Check. Trubisky nightmares? Check. Complete redundancy? Exactly the kind of guy Pace likes.
  • 6th - ANY freaking Tight End - Kmet and Graham should be getting 99.9% of all offensive snaps, and when Graham is gone Kmet should get a huge boost in usage. Third string TEs are for emergencies.
  • 6th - Bryan Mills, CB, North Carolina Central - Random small school pick destined to fail. 
  • 6th - Josh Imatorbhebhe (WR/TE) Illinois - Tweener pick for hometown excitement who doesn't jibe with the overall roster.
  • 6th - Random throwaway OT - Yet another one of those "See! We picked an offensive tackle!"-picks that shows a lack of care about the OL, because for some reason the coaches all think they can take 350lbs of raw cookie dough and turn that guy into a starting RT in the NFL, but never hold that same kind of logic to other positions.

What's your nightmare draft?

11 minutes ago, ParkerBear7 said:

Apparently your nightmare is SF’s reality! Trey Lance is only 20 years old and is the 3rd overall pick?  Wow!

I knew that was coming.  They wouldn't give up as much as they did for Mac Jones.  Lance is the new breed QB teams are going to.

15 minutes ago, jason said:

I think Jones will easily have a better career.

What do you base that on? Hard to say how someone develops but nothing says either of them are going to fail by their careers so far. Two things I like about Fields is his work ethic and love of football.  Some players just play for the money,  he legitimately loves the game.  Plays hurt and was the person responsible for getting the Big 10 to actually play this year.  4.4 speed doesn't hurt either. 

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

What do you base that on? Hard to say how someone develops but nothing says either of them are going to fail by their careers so far. Two things I like about Fields is his work ethic and love of football.  Some players just play for the money,  he legitimately loves the game.  Plays hurt and was the person responsible for getting the Big 10 to actually play this year.  4.4 speed doesn't hurt either. 

Simple. Level of competition, respective teams, and respective coaches.

Trey Lance played around NDST and Mac Jones played at Bama. Both dominated, but doing so at Bama is MUCH harder. Also, the teams they went to matter. The Pats are in a much better position to help Jones along, both because their team is good, and because their coach is one of the best ever. Last but not least, development of NFL caliber skills is something Jones already has, where Lance got picked on excitement factor mostly.

2 hours ago, jason said:

It will be fun to watch how this class does.  Jones is a good fit for NE.  I can see him becoming a Brady prodigy.  Make a quick read and drink and dunk his way to 6 rings. 

Lance didn't go to a team with QB coach dummies.  Shanahan watched Mahomes beat his team down in the Superbowl.  This is a huge risk, but it could have a big payday.

As for Fields, after watching him pick apart Clemson in the Sugar Bowl, I felt he was the best QB on the field that night.  I didn't watch much more of him, but feel he can become a franchise QB that we have been waiting for.   

5 hours ago, jason said:

There's a strange tie between NE and SF, that being Jimmy G.  If memory serves Bill B. was 'forced' to trade him some years ago and wanted him to go to what he thought was a good team in SF.  Then there were the recent rumors that Coach B wanted Jimmy G back.  As we know now, Shanahan chose to go with Lance (with Jones still on the board) and Bill jumped at the opportunity to get Jones when he did.  Speaking of, when was the last time NE selected a QB in the first round?  After the dust settles Jimmy G is no longer the prize we all thought he once was and NE and SF both have future QBs that couldn't be more different from one another.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

There's a strange tie between NE and SF, that being Jimmy G.  If memory serves Bill B. was 'forced' to trade him some years ago and wanted him to go to what he thought was a good team in SF.  Then there were the recent rumors that Coach B wanted Jimmy G back.  As we know now, Shanahan chose to go with Lance (with Jones still on the board) and Bill jumped at the opportunity to get Jones when he did.  Speaking of, when was the last time NE selected a QB in the first round?  After the dust settles Jimmy G is no longer the prize we all thought he once was and NE and SF both have future QBs that couldn't be more different from one another.  

yeah, it's neat when things work out that you can equalize some variables (Garoppolo in both cases), and lift the fog and see what someone really thinks. So interesting.