Training camp

Bill

On 8/26/2021 at 6:47 PM, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Remember we used to pretend we were stacked at WR.   Wait until next year where AR is gone.

Every year is a new season. Right now, name a better top 4 from top to bottom with ARob, Mooney, Byrd, and Goodwin. Byrd was WR1 in NE, and Goodwin was a solid WR2 in SF 2 years ago. Ultimately you are replacing Miller and Wims with Byrd and Goodwin, that is a huge upgrade IMO.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, adam said:

Every year is a new season. Right now, name a better top 4 from top to bottom with ARob, Mooney, Byrd, and Goodwin. Byrd was WR1 in NE, and Goodwin was a solid WR2 in SF 2 years ago. Ultimately you are replacing Miller and Wims with Byrd and Goodwin, that is a huge upgrade IMO.

Agreed.  Ridley will be gone as well due to more competitive depth.

On 8/22/2021 at 11:22 PM, jason said:

As always, this line of rationale is to be taken with a grain of salt as long as the Bears front office continues to be far more hits than misses, and the team continues be mediocre at best. When the team perpetually wins, and perpetually threatens in the playoffs, then we can say, "Hey, nobody with a random opinion could do better than those superstar Bears GMs." Until then, however, it's impossible to say for sure. Hell, picking just exclusively SEC guys would probably be a better strategy than what we've seen over the past decade.

I'm excited about Fields like everyone else, but if they had stayed at 20 and kept the extra picks, who knows what could have been? Since Pace loves trading away picks, however, it's difficult to know what could have been over the years. Picking randomly would have probably produced better teams overall.

I was referring to Parcells and Lonbardie on their thoughts on things and how this team does things wrong.  VS someone like me thinking I could do better.

On 8/28/2021 at 5:04 AM, adam said:

Byrd and Goodwin are not very good - so I think there are quite a few teams who have better top 4's. Outside of when Bears had Alshon, Bmarsh and Marty B - almost every other time Bears fans dramatically overmake their offense skill position players.  I would say the same right now. Goodwin is a nice 4th wideout - nothing more and Byrd is young and I will at least say last season was somewhat promising in New England - but Pats just spend how much money on skill position players and they let Byrd walk......hmmm...doesn't make me think he is that good.

I like Mooney a lot - but I'm not ready to proclaim him a stud - but I do think he has the ability to be one.

9 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Byrd and Goodwin are not very good - so I think there are quite a few teams who have better top 4's. Outside of when Bears had Alshon, Bmarsh and Marty B - almost every other time Bears fans dramatically overmake their offense skill position players.  I would say the same right now. Goodwin is a nice 4th wideout - nothing more and Byrd is young and I will at least say last season was somewhat promising in New England - but Pats just spend how much money on skill position players and they let Byrd walk......hmmm...doesn't make me think he is that good.

I like Mooney a lot - but I'm not ready to proclaim him a stud - but I do think he has the ability to be one.

Mooney put up 61-631 as a rookie with no preseason, which is pretty amazing. I figure he will be closer to 75-800 this year.

If Byrd does close to what he did last year with NE, 47-604, that will be very solid numbers from a WR3/4. Goodwin really stretches the field, his career Y/R is 16.6, which is sort of what you want out of your other WR3/4. Remember those two are replacing Miller/Wims. If they combine for 60 receptions, they will exceed the production of Miller/Wims/Ridley combined. 60 receptions from those two doesn't seem like too much to ask. 

In regards to Byrd, they have Harry and Meyers and signed Agholor and Bourne. Bourne is a better run blocker than Byrd, so that makes sense. 

2 hours ago, adam said:

Mooney put up 61-631 as a rookie with no preseason, which is pretty amazing. I figure he will be closer to 75-800 this year.

If Trubisky could hit a downfield throw, he would have been closer to 66-800 last year.  I'm going 70-950 for him and 95-950 for Robinson.  70-900 for the TE's and 700 for the rest...

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

If Trubisky could hit a downfield throw, he would have been closer to 66-800 last year.  I'm going 70-950 for him and 95-950 for Robinson.  70-900 for the TE's and 700 for the rest...

Yep, how many times did ARob catch and get down? It felt like almost every other reception he would have to immediately drop down or be decapitated. Byrd had Newton throwing to him, so his stats are just as impressive considering Newton couldn't physically throw more than 10 yards down the field.

On 8/30/2021 at 11:51 AM, adam said:

Yep, how many times did ARob catch and get down? It felt like almost every other reception he would have to immediately drop down or be decapitated. Byrd had Newton throwing to him, so his stats are just as impressive considering Newton couldn't physically throw more than 10 yards down the field.

Arob will never be that wide open. His seperation statistically are below average across the league. He relies on his fantastic technique to put up the numbers he does.  He really is an outlier in the sense that physically he shouldn't be this good...but his pure fundamentals are just stellar and help him be better than his physical gifts say he should be.  Mooney on the other hand - clearly has elite separation skills and seems to have solid hands, that said, he's a bit smaller than you would prefer but he is a legit #2 and could clearly breakout. 

I just don't think Byrd/Goodwin are anything to write home about.  In New England someone had to catch something on that turd WR corps. It was literally like the worst in the league. It is kind of like on a horrific NBA team someone still has to score...doesn't make em any good.  The comparison to Miller/Wims/Ridley doesn't mean much to me cause those 3 sucked too....with only one of them having some form of talent.  That said - Byrd can fly and has put up good seperation...so he could be an under the radar type player.  I don't recall him at all in any of the preseason games, but maybe I missed it and he didn't play?