Week 1 Preseason Official Game Thread - MIA at CHI (SAT, AUG 14, 12pm)

adam

This is a great first test with some joint practices. Those are always fun to see.

Miami is very similar to the Bears, they finished 10-6, had a top 10 defense and a top 20 offense. The Bears had a slightly better defense and slightly worse offense. I think we have the edge on both sides of the ball this year.

I would take the Bears units every time, thoughts?

Tua/Brissett vs Dalton/Fields
Gaskin/Brown vs Monty/Williams/Cohen
Parker/Fuller/Waddle vs ARob/Mooney/Goodwin
Gesicki/Shaheen vs Kmet/Graham/James

As always, results of preseason games are almost impossible to predict or to evaluate after the fact. This year I suspect it will be even more so. Nagy has indicated he will be playing his starters far more in all preseason games. (Let's pray no one gets injured.) I doubt other teams will necessarily mirror the Bears. Therefore, I suspect we will see many of our #1s matched up with opponents #2s.

I actually hope other teams play their starters longer. I want to see Fields against #1s on defense, not backups. (I'm assuming Dalton gets first reps?)

As far as your analysis, I agree, I like our players/roster better then Miami's. On paper, we certainly have an advantage, IMO.

27 minutes ago, Pixote said:

As always, results of preseason games are almost impossible to predict or to evaluate after the fact. This year I suspect it will be even more so. Nagy has indicated he will be playing his starters far more in all preseason games. (Let's pray no one gets injured.) I doubt other teams will necessarily mirror the Bears. Therefore, I suspect we will see many of our #1s matched up with opponents #2s.

I actually hope other teams play their starters longer. I want to see Fields against #1s on defense, not backups. (I'm assuming Dalton gets first reps?)

As far as your analysis, I agree, I like our players/roster better then Miami's. On paper, we certainly have an advantage, IMO.

After seeing the analysis of the first week of TC, it really seems like the team is content on Dalton starting and allowing Fields to get more experience before getting thrown into the fire. It will be curious to see how the team handles him compared to JAX, SF, NYJ, and NE, all who drafted 1st round QBs. An interesting note, Mac Jones has looked better than Newton early on, which is impressive going to a team like NE.

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, McGowan said:

Ogletree already looks better than Trevathan 

yes and no. he makes plays, but he got beaten in coverage twice in the 1st quarter. at the least he is good depth, and he can probably contribute more than that, but you can pick on him too.

Then again, its usually Smith who runs with the TEs, so Ogletree can compete with Trevathan for what they ask Trevathan to do. But it doesnt solve that problem, it just makes it younger, and maybe a better playmaker, but both he and Trevathan have trouble in coverage.

32 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

yes and no. he makes plays, but he got beaten in coverage twice in the 1st quarter. at the least he is good depth, and he can probably contribute more than that, but you can pick on him too.

Then again, its usually Smith who runs with the TEs, so Ogletree can compete with Trevathan for what they ask Trevathan to do. But it doesnt solve that problem, it just makes it younger, and maybe a better playmaker, but both he and Trevathan have trouble in coverage.

Olgletree is more explosive

30 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

Then again, its usually Smith who runs with the TEs, so Ogletree can compete with Trevathan for what they ask Trevathan to do. But it doesnt solve that problem, it just makes it younger, and maybe a better playmaker, but both he and Trevathan have trouble in coverage

Jones is probably the better speed matchup opposite Smith but I see him as Smiths backup.  As it stands I hope Ogletree and Jones stay on as the backups. 

33 minutes ago, McGowan said:

Fields looks terrible.....what else is new? 

I was actually gonna pan his performance too but he did well at the end of the half.  As the guys on the halftime show pointed out, things seemed to slow down for him.  He’s not really playing with the starting offense (Robinson, Graham and Montgomery out) and the Oline is still in flux. He does seem poised and overall does seem to look over the field a lot better than Trubiksy ever did. 

…and he comes out and scores his first TD with the first series of the second half.  Much better. 

…and scores again with his second series of the half.  

He’ll do fine. 

31 minutes ago, McGowan said:

I actually think the opposite, playing Fields behind a shit OL has the potential to ruin him. Let Dalton get kilt behind this OL. 

I think he is elusive enough and with the threat of him running, it will slow the defense down. Anytime you make decisions because of worry of injury, it cancels players. Just go for it. We signed Peters today so he should help.

38 minutes ago, McGowan said:

I actually think the opposite, playing Fields behind a shit OL has the potential to ruin him. Let Dalton get kilt behind this OL. 

Completely agree.  I was on the Carmen and Jurko show a couple of weeks ago stating the exact same point.  They both wanted Fields and I pointed the OL and lack thereof.  Jurko has since sided with me.

To me it seemed like Special Teams is going to be an issue. They need to bring back McManis. 

Fields started slow, but penalties and a drop didn't help. After that, Fields had 3 scoring drives. I like Ogletree, especially with how new he is. Tonga was visible, and Johnson finished strong.

49 minutes ago, adam said:

To me it seemed like Special Teams is going to be an issue. They need to bring back McManis. 

Fields started slow, but penalties and a drop didn't help. After that, Fields had 3 scoring drives. I like Ogletree, especially with how new he is. Tonga was visible, and Johnson finished strong.

could be camp legs, could be swapping people in and out, whatever it is, special teams coverage was awful. I expect it to get better, so i wont hit the panic button yet, but yeah that is a real problem if it continues like that.

2 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

could be camp legs, could be swapping people in and out, whatever it is, special teams coverage was awful. I expect it to get better, so i wont hit the panic button yet, but yeah that is a real problem if it continues like that.

I wouldn't stress about it.  That's a thing they do in camp.  Notice how every kick was returnable.  They place the greatest amount of stress on them so they can evaluate.