Week 2 Preseason Official Game Thread - BUF at CHI (SAT, AUG 21, 12pm)

adam

Trubisky revenge game. Watch him go off and throw 3 TDs in the first half. That would suck lol.

Guys I am watching besides Fields:

Our Tackles, Herbert, Johnson (WR), Gipson (Edge), Attaochu, Blackson, Vildor

Some interesting battles for the last few WR slots and CB2. 

Hopefully Mack doesn't kill Trubisky.

GO BEARS

Bears 27-17

Fields leads another win!

First drive, with Dalton, another 3 and out. He couldn't get the ball over the DLineman on a check down to Williams. Then stays in the pocket too long on 3rd Down and has to throw it away.

It is hard to see Dalton being better than Foles from last year.

Defense looks terrible on the first drive. They let Trubisky walk down the field with quick slants and never jumped the routes. That was odd, I don't know why they are not taking that away as that is all Trubisky can hit. Then on the TD run, Quinn and Jackson whiff on tackles. Not a good start by either unit.

3 hours ago, adam said:

Trubisky revenge game. Watch him go off and throw 3 TDs in the first half. That would suck lol.

WELP, our defense sucks balls, WTH. They couldn't stop anything. What an embarrassment. 3 TDs in 19 minutes against Mitch Trubisky? 

14 minutes ago, adam said:

WELP, our defense sucks balls, WTH. They couldn't stop anything. What an embarrassment. 3 TDs in 19 minutes against Mitch Trubisky? 

It’s like you scripted him to do what he did. Lol. 

Nice play by Dalton and Adams (who?). To close out the last series.  70 yd TD.  

First Half Summary:

Defense sucks. If they don't get better, we may not win a single game. Soft coverage and missed tackles. There was zero resistance against a Mitch Trubisky led offense. Scary.

Dalton is terrible. I get that ARob and Monty are out, but man, the O-Line played OK, but he couldn't do anything once there was pressure. I hate that he got an entire half to look like shit. He had one big pass and that was all Adams catching the ball off the DBs helmet.

Still trying to sort out what we saw.  Is this Trubisky playing for a competent play caller and looking the part?  Or is our defense (mostly starters for much of the first few plays) really that bad?  Or a combination of them both?  On the other side both Dalton, Fields and really the whole offense struggled. Hmm… what could it be? 

3 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Still trying to sort out what we saw.  Is this Trubisky playing for a competent play caller and looking the part?  Or is our defense (mostly starters for much of the first few plays) really that bad?  Or a combination of them both?  On the other side both Dalton, Fields and really the whole offense struggled. Hmm… what could it be? 

I think they were playing vanilla to set up personal matchups for analysis, and thats why Trubisky was able to succeed.

However, whatever the plan is, you gotta make tackles.

18 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

However, whatever the plan is, you gotta make tackles.

Yeah, Quinn appears to be a shell of his former self.  And as much a fan as I am of Vildor, he had a bad day today.  Maybe Trufant or Burns should get some time there?

I know that not much can really be measured on preseason other than what you said (matchup analysis). Still would’ve liked to see some sustained drives and tackling.  

So no ARob, no Mooney, no Kmet, Goodwin, or Monty. That is likely your top 5 skill position players. So it does make sense that the offense was bad. By the time Fields came out, he was playing with the 3rd-4th string skill position players.

I am now more concerned about the defense. They allowed 31 pts in the first half, and then the defense pitched a shutout in the second half. The depth played better than the starters.

Our Special Teams coverage units are a mess. If McManis is still available, I would be reaching out immediately.

My concerns going into our last preseason game:

1. Defense Overall
2. Tackles
3. Coverage Units
4. Secondary
5. Quinn/Goldman

1 hour ago, adam said:

So no ARob, no Mooney, no Kmet, Goodwin, or Monty. That is likely your top 5 skill position players. So it does make sense that the offense was bad. By the time Fields came out, he was playing with the 3rd-4th string skill position players.

I am now more concerned about the defense. They allowed 31 pts in the first half, and then the defense pitched a shutout in the second half. The depth played better than the starters.

Our Special Teams coverage units are a mess. If McManis is still available, I would be reaching out immediately.

My concerns going into our last preseason game:

1. Defense Overall
2. Tackles
3. Coverage Units
4. Secondary
5. Quinn/Goldman

I understand Monty and Goodwin.  But you had most of your first string D out there including Mack.  Why not the starting WR's?  Is it to get a chance to see all the others to find out who are going to make the roster.  Did not see the game busy painting but from the sound of it, it sure sucked.

wow, what an ugly game even for preseason.

first: wilkinson at left tackle was absolutely horrendous. last week he looked to be competent. this week he was getting blown up play after play. missing your assignment or laying on your back is not the best technique to protect your quarterback from a pass rush. no qb can call/sustain a game with that lack of protection. the rest of the line took turns allowing pressure or sacks. if peters is not ready to play starting day or is the clone or orlando pace we are in for a long, long season.

dalton looked average at best but with that protection it's not surprising. fields is going to need time to get into a groove. if he starts opening day in my opinion it's a mistake.

second: defense... what defense? if our defense looks ANYTHING like it did against the bills we will be fighting it out for the bottom of the nfl in january. no pressure on their qb, can't stop the run, can't tackle, can't cover receivers even with a qb who you KNOW can't throw deep and proved it again.

third: special teams: not very good. it's preseason and you want to try stuff and see who can or can't play or even make the roster. but... their is some real cause for concern come opening day if this unit doesn't get better.

fourth: again we were out-coached and outplayed. this team has to come a long way to even become average and if this staff can't see that and adjust on game day  it's just another voided year of football.

hopefully this team can get their $h!t together before the season starts but i'm not betting on it.

Preseason is such a weird period. I want to see improvement and success but nowadays it seems like it is more for conditioning the vets and evaluating the roster competitions. They also don't want to give any tape that can be used against them, so you are not going to see much besides basic routes and vanilla coverages.

There is zero correlation between preseason and regular season success. I believe the 0-16 Lions went 4-0 in the preseason. So it is probably best to take both the highs and lows with a grain of salt.