Rumor: Bears to Fire Nagy after Thanksgiving

DABEARSDABOMB

Mark Konkol - who evidently is a old school reporter is indicating Nagy will coach his final game against the Lions. Will be fired after the game regardless of outcome.  I can't believe this is true and if it is the case - you just do it (short week or not)...but if true, only the Bears could botch relieving its head coach this poorly.  

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bears handling this really poorly - no one got in front of this and Tabor/Nagy ended up on the hot seat. Fact that no one in org has denied this other than the HC is just poor. Either go out and say what it is or get out and deny it so the HC & ST coordinator don't have to. 

Bears coach Matt Nagy on report that he's been told he'll be fired after Thursday's game: "That is not accurate. I have great communication with ownership, George [McCaskey] and Ted [Phillips] and Ryan [Pace], and I have not had any discussions [on that]."

— Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) November 23, 2021

42 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Bears handling this really poorly - no one got in front of this and Tabor/Nagy ended up on the hot seat. Fact that no one in org has denied this other than the HC is just poor. Either go out and say what it is or get out and deny it so the HC & ST coordinator don't have to. 

The issue here is the leak to the press if its true.  But at no point normally does an employee know he is getting fired until the axe actually falls.  The only difference here is Nagy doesn't have a mysterious meeting with HR at 9am.  

58 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Bears coach Matt Nagy on report that he's been told he'll be fired after Thursday's game: "That is not accurate. I have great communication with ownership, George [McCaskey] and Ted [Phillips] and Ryan [Pace], and I have not had any discussions [on that]."

— Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) November 23, 2021

This is murky.  Nagy also stated that they have not spoken since they're last scheduled meeting, which was over a week ago.  Pace's silence is deafening...

Just now, Mongo3451 said:

This is murky.  Nagy also stated that they have not spoken since they're last scheduled meeting, which was over a week ago.  Pace's silence is deafening...

100% - it seems like this is true and Bears just had an awful leak.  Nagy even said they haven't spoken so it seems like something is going to go down shortly and the only part wrong with the source was that the team quietly informed him it was it.  

I would be surprised if the rumors are accurate. I bet it was more like "if you lose to the Lions, that is your last game". So we will see. Tabor has already been the interim HC, so why would they wait until after Thanksgiving. That doesn't make sense.

His ego clearly got in the way, I always thought he was a decent HC, but arguably the worst OC in the league. He basically took away his own safety net, someone else to blame. If he had Lazor as OC and play caller and he was completely hands off, he could've fired Lazor. Just goes to show you how blind he was. 

The one thing I don't like is people making comments while he is at his kid's football game or in public in general. That is messed up. He may be a bad coach, but that shouldn't cross into his personal life. 

29 minutes ago, adam said:

The one thing I don't like is people making comments while he is at his kid's football game or in public in general. That is messed up. He may be a bad coach, but that shouldn't cross into his personal life. 

Totally 100%.

It was bad enough he was not only getting called out by the fans during last week’s loss but I’ve seen videos where they were doing it at Bulls and Blackhawks games too.  We get it, he sucks as a coach. But he’s still a decent guy and deserves to be able to enjoy being with his family in peace. 

51 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Totally 100%.

It was bad enough he was not only getting called out by the fans during last week’s loss but I’ve seen videos where they were doing it at Bulls and Blackhawks games too.  We get it, he sucks as a coach. But he’s still a decent guy and deserves to be able to enjoy being with his family in peace. 

That's like going to a Proctologist's son's football game and yelling "tackle the assman's son!".  "#34's Dad has huge fingers!"

1 hour ago, adam said:

I would be surprised if the rumors are accurate. I bet it was more like "if you lose to the Lions, that is your last game". So we will see. Tabor has already been the interim HC, so why would they wait until after Thanksgiving. That doesn't make sense.

His ego clearly got in the way, I always thought he was a decent HC, but arguably the worst OC in the league. He basically took away his own safety net, someone else to blame. If he had Lazor as OC and play caller and he was completely hands off, he could've fired Lazor. Just goes to show you how blind he was. 

If they beat the Lions, they will still most likely lose 5 of the last 6. What is the point of keeping him for that?  Simply have Tabor take over. 

Nagy seems like a good guy. He's just a bad head coach. The Nagy family doesn't deserve this type of treatment. No one does. 

Peace

Just now, AZ54 said:

Missing from all this is the obvious point that if Nagy gets fired midseason it means Pace is staying. .  

I've been hearing a lot about them giving Pace a promotion and him hiring the next GM.  We may have to accept the fact that the family loves him and have some hope that he and the new GM are addition by subtraction with Teddy out of the football side.  One more layer between the family and the field is definitely a positive.

1 minute ago, Mongo3451 said:

I've been hearing a lot about them giving Pace a promotion and him hiring the next GM.  We may have to accept the fact that the family loves him and have some hope that he and the new GM are addition by subtraction with Teddy out of the football side.  One more layer between the family and the field is definitely a positive.

Might be the long term plan.  I believe they’ll want Phillips to close the new stadium deal as that stuff is his strength afterward I could see Phillips retiring.  

21 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Might be the long term plan.  I believe they’ll want Phillips to close the new stadium deal as that stuff is his strength afterward I could see Phillips retiring.  

I've heard that Phillips retires after he closes the land deal in Arlington Heights, which could take up to a year. 

Peace

15 hours ago, AZ54 said:

There is always a fog around any big organizational changes, in any company.  

Would it not be fitting for Nagy's tenure as Bears head coach to be the catalyst to bring down the whole house of cards.

Goes from hated too revered, for changing the entire franchise unknowingly, just like his offense.

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Maybe not immediately “after” the game:

There are so many rumors going on about this. The theories are:

1. Nagy was told this is his last year regardless of the remainder of the season, he then said he would give the team one more game, then accept his fate on Friday.
2. Nagy was told if he loses, he won't have a job on Friday.
3. Nagy was told Thursday is his last game regardless.
4. Nagy was not told anything, but the FO has discussed his termination at the end of the year.

the most probable one:

5. Nagy was not told anything, but the FO discussed his termination on Monday and was going to let him know on Friday. That seems the most probable based on how the report was worded.