2022 Roster (right now)

adam

With the Bears officially eliminated from playoff contention, the shift is fully on for 2022. With current contracts, the starting 22 looks like this:

O - Fields, Monty, WR1, Mooney, WR3, Kmet, Jenkins, Whitehair, C, G, Borom

Holes at WR1 (ARob), WR3 (Goodwin), C (Mustipher), and G (Daniels). 

D - Mack, Quinn, Goldman, Smith, Trevathan, Blackson, Johnson, Shelley/Graham, Jackson

Holes at S (Gipson), CB2/3, and DL (Hicks/Nichols)

I would probably create at least one more hole by cutting Goldman, but that would make the DL only have Blackson and Edwards coming back and that is probably not going to happen.

Are Mustipher and Daniels "good enough" to resign? For WR, I would draft one and sign one to start.

I hope the Bears bring back Horsted at TE, he fits Fields better than Kmet does.

Jakeem Grant is not under contract, it makes sense to bring him back, especially if they don't bring Cohen back.

3 hours ago, adam said:

D - Mack, Quinn, Goldman, Smith, Trevathan, Blackson, Johnson, Shelley/Graham, Jackson

Holes at S (Gipson), CB2/3, and DL (Hicks/Nichols)

although hicks is on the downside of his career and missing some games i would NOT let him walk. you can see the difference when he plays as opposed to being out. it's like the old dan hampton syndrome. when hampton played the entire defense was light years better, even as his career was winding down. same goes with hicks.

if you let him go it's another spot empty to TRY and fill with an even average player let alone a stud. i would let goldman go in a heartbeat and figure a way to keep hicks on the field. he certainly has been on the active roster more than that drone goldman has been.

can hicks play tackle? if he was willing have HIM replace goldman.

1 hour ago, Lucky Luciano said:

it's like the old dan hampton syndrome. when hampton played the entire defense was light years better, even as his career was winding down. same goes with hicks.

if you let him go it's another spot empty to TRY and fill with an even average player let alone a stud. i would let goldman go in a heartbeat and figure a way to keep hicks on the field. he certainly has been on the active roster more than that drone goldman has been.

That is a true statement about Hampton and the comparison to Hicks is accurate.  I'd like to bring him back too but it has to be at backup money because his body can't hold up to starter snaps anymore.  A DT like that who can give you 20 snaps a game with 3 big negative plays, those are plays that can end drives.  

2 hours ago, Lucky Luciano said:

although hicks is on the downside of his career and missing some games i would NOT let him walk. you can see the difference when he plays as opposed to being out. it's like the old dan hampton syndrome. when hampton played the entire defense was light years better, even as his career was winding down. same goes with hicks.

Hicks played like his hair was on fire last night. He is a joy to watch play. 

3 hours ago, AZ54 said:

That is a true statement about Hampton and the comparison to Hicks is accurate.  I'd like to bring him back too but it has to be at backup money because his body can't hold up to starter snaps anymore.  A DT like that who can give you 20 snaps a game with 3 big negative plays, those are plays that can end drives.  

The whole defense plays more inspired when he’s on the field…they certainly did last night.  The entire secondary were primarily PS guys and they looked like starters last night…even Vildor.  

9 hours ago, adam said:

His comments make it seem like he knows he is gone. There are several factors to his resigning, and cap is probably the biggest one. Can they afford him? They would have to get very creative to do so. 

Or not spend as much money in FA at CB.  OTOH Overthecap.com has him valued at $2.1mil which we can easily do.  What happens will depend on how he finishes the season.  If he can't play much he'll definitely be in the 3rd tier of FA with the lowball bottom-of-the-roster contracts.  If he stands out with big plays as he did against Minn then he'll end up in the 2nd tier with some teams expressing varying levels of interest depending on his contract demands.  I expect Bears to make a low offer and then let him shop around.  If they want to match it they will.  Hicks has already said he'd like to finish his career in Chicago so I believe he'd give them a chance to match.      

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

Or not spend as much money in FA at CB.  OTOH Overthecap.com has him valued at $2.1mil which we can easily do.  What happens will depend on how he finishes the season.  If he can't play much he'll definitely be in the 3rd tier of FA with the lowball bottom-of-the-roster contracts.  If he stands out with big plays as he did against Minn then he'll end up in the 2nd tier with some teams expressing varying levels of interest depending on his contract demands.  I expect Bears to make a low offer and then let him shop around.  If they want to match it they will.  Hicks has already said he'd like to finish his career in Chicago so I believe he'd give them a chance to match.      

I would be shocked if he took anything less than $5AAV for at least 2 years. This is his last bigger contract before he signs a bunch of one-year deals. He is going to want that to be at least $10M total.

I think we have to concentrate on bringing Daniels back, extend R. Smith before we have a problem in a yr with him. Also bring back , Nichols, DHC, Bars, Jesse James, Ogletree ( not expensive).

Cut Goldman , Trevathan, Cohen, Dalton post June 1 and you save  19 mil. Tonga-Ogletree-Foles take over those spots. Resign Grant for the money you would have paid Cohen.

Looking at salaries for 2022, I noticed they still have Jason Peters and is still signed for the yr. Maybe he will hang around as a backup to Jenkins. 

Whatever way works out, play Daniels at OC and get a new RG or leave him at RG and draft a new OC.

Need to bring in a big WR draft or FAgency

Need to bring in a couple of CBs draft and FAgency even if Graham is able to man that spot. 

Hicks would be wonderful to bring back but I dont think he signs for a cheap contract back here, maybe go somewhere else for cheap money.  Would he resign for 2 yr --12 mil with 8 guaranteed? 

14 hours ago, adam said:

I would be shocked if he took anything less than $5AAV for at least 2 years. This is his last bigger contract before he signs a bunch of one-year deals. He is going to want that to be at least $10M total.

$5mil a year for a stud D lineman is cheap, cheap, cheap even if he plays limited snaps.

this is also worth considering... if we get rid of nagy, the next coach may want to revert the defense to a standard 4/3 depending upon what DC he chooses. if that happened there is no way hicks is not super valuable as a DT in that scheme.

This draft would maybe help.  I traded a few spots on the 2nd and got an extra 3rd.  Pickens is a round talent coming off a knee injury.  He's 6'3", has soft hands and runs well.  I think I knocked it out of the park with the next three picks.  Kenneth Walker sets us up to lose Monty in 23.

With that draft, we absolutely need to keep Goldman if he wants to play and find a way to re-sign Hicks and Co.  We are going to need the best front seven we can get to help out the young secondary.  Jaylon Johnson will be the geezer of the group in his third year.  To bolster the WR corps, Chris Godwin is my guy if healthy.  If not, I've softened on Michael Gallop and would take him if Godwin is unavailable.

Cut Foles, Graham and Jackson.  If we can find a trade partner for Robert Quinn, his value will never be higher.  Trade Cohen if you can get anything.

Thoughts?

Screenshot_20211223-105014_Chrome.jpg

8 hours ago, Lucky Luciano said:

$5mil a year for a stud D lineman is cheap, cheap, cheap even if he plays limited snaps.

this is also worth considering... if we get rid of nagy, the next coach may want to revert the defense to a standard 4/3 depending upon what DC he chooses. if that happened there is no way hicks is not super valuable as a DT in that scheme.

Even if he's available for 6 games a year?  

10 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

This draft would maybe help.  I traded a few spots on the 2nd and got an extra 3rd.  Pickens is a round talent coming off a knee injury.  He's 6'3", has soft hands and runs well.  I think I knocked it out of the park with the next three picks.  Kenneth Walker sets us up to lose Monty in 23.

With that draft, we absolutely need to keep Goldman if he wants to play and find a way to re-sign Hicks and Co.  We are going to need the best front seven we can get to help out the young secondary.  Jaylon Johnson will be the geezer of the group in his third year.  To bolster the WR corps, Chris Godwin is my guy if healthy.  If not, I've softened on Michael Gallop and would take him if Godwin is unavailable.

Cut Foles, Graham and Jackson.  If we can find a trade partner for Robert Quinn, his value will never be higher.  Trade Cohen if you can get anything.

Thoughts?

Screenshot_20211223-105014_Chrome.jpg

I like Pickens and believe he would be a 1st round player but big injury makes him a risk.  If he is there when our pick comes up, trade down and then if he is still there later, take him. 

15 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Even if he's available for 6 games a year?  

in answer to that.... YES. at $5 mil a year that is clearly a fair price for the 2nd or 3rd best defensive player on your entire roster and a key player at his position in the entire NFL.

but let's look at his injury history first since he has been in chicago:

2016 - started entire season - 16 games

2017 -- started entire season - 16 games

2018 - started entire season - 16 games

2019 - started 5 games - 5 games - out with dislocated elbow

2020 - started 15 - 15 games

2021 - so far he has started 8 games with 3 remaining. was out with ankle injury earlier in season and is now on covid list NOT injury list.

so where are you getting this 6 games a year? with his record he is not injury prone. the injuries he has sustained are not critical injuries to his career. it is true he is 32 years old but in my opinion he surely has at least 2 years left in his career. even with diminishing returns it is well worth it paying a 3/4 DE that can probably play tackle in a 4/3  scheme that kind of money. he also can possibly play nose tackle in a 3/4. the saints had him scheduled to play nose tackle in 2013 prior to drafting jenkins in the third round for that position.

let's look at his stats in chicago:

solo tackles - 161

sacks - 31 (3.5 sacks this shortened season for him)

what player off the wire for cheaper than 5 mil are you going to find out there? and draft? yes we should draft a DT or 3/4 DE. but to expect that someone to come in and be anywhere close to this quality out of the gate that we draft 2nd round or below is ludicrous. all this does is create yet ANOTHER major hole in our defense.