Draft Simulation

AZ54

Just taking a quick run through in a draft sim (thedraftnetwork) and I run into this scenario at 37.   Safety is a need and Battle at this spot is a consideration but I'm not crazy about that option because I think there will be good safeties available later in the draft.   Emerson I like as a CB but if Graham plays well then this need drops a bit and then we're looking more for an inside NB talent versus someone who can play outside.  You can find that type of CB later in the draft.  

I don't like Bell and think he'll drop after the combine because everyone catches him in all of his highlights.  He's quick and shifty and I think he'll be a productive slot WR but ideally we need someone on the outside.. That leaves me with Metchie.  He's also a slot WR but he can line up outside.  He's got the knee injury so we'd be drafting him knowing he won't play until mid-year (this is assuming his medicals check out).  He's a 1st Rd talent IMO and he can work the entire field.  Even if he's gets in mid-season I think his route running skills will have him ahead of other prospects.   

Ideally we could trade back a bit but there isn't anyone other than Metchie I'd want.  Unless we trade back much deeper into the 2nd Rd.   In this scenario I'd take that trade late into the 2nd because it should net us a 3rd Rd pick.       

I haven't done much scouting on all these players, mostly WR and CB so far.   Wondering if anyone else has strong thoughts on taking one of these players at 37?  

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/thomas-graham-stats-chicago-bears-vs-vikings-mnf

37.Trent McDuffie   CB     Washington
38.   Malik Willis   QB.    Liberty
40.   Jordan Battle.   S     Alabama
41.   Martin Emerson   CB.   Mississippi State
42.   David Bell    WR.   Purdue
43.   Kenneth Walker III.   RB.    Michigan State
44.   John Metchie III.   WR.    Alabama
45.   Jermaine Johnson    EDGE.  Florida State
46.    Zion Johnson.  IOL.   Boston College
47.   Christian Harris. LB.    Alabama
48.   Isaiah Spiller.   RB.  Texas A&M
49.   Logan Hall    EDGE

when you trade away first round picks you HAVE to go BPA.

Pace (if hes the guy running the show next year) has a history of filling holes before the draft. Its prudent, although it makes us angry at signings like Dalton and Glennon, but it's the right thing to do. And it allows you to go BPA, which is critical in maximizing value when you dont have first rounders.

19 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Ideally we could trade back a bit but there isn't anyone other than Metchie I'd want.  Unless we trade back much deeper into the 2nd Rd.   In this scenario I'd take that trade late into the 2nd because it should net us a 3rd Rd pick.     

I said it earlier and will say it again....trade down and get those extra picks.  If we can move down enough in the 2nd to get a 3rd and possibly a 4th or 5th do it.  Look at the contributors we are getting in those 3rd-5th rounds.  We are not giving up on Jenkins/Borum, so OT is set. We may have found the #2 CB, so that may wait. If we sign William's to pair with Mooney, WR is not a must.  We will need at least 1 S, preferably SS since we are stuck with EJack so 3rd round could net a decent player.  I wouldn't mind spending a higher pick at DT since we are losing possibly both Hicks/Nichols.  If a stud is sitting there at 37, then maybe not trade down.  

Your Picks: traded 37 to Cle 47 , a 3rd and 4th

Round 2 Pick 14 (CLE): John Metchie, WR, Alabama (A)
Round 3 Pick 5: Phidarian Mathis, DT, Alabama (A)
Round 3 Pick 15 (CLE): Jarrett Patterson, OG/C, Notre Dame (A+)
Round 4 Pick 14 (CLE): Jeremy Ruckert, TE, Ohio State (A+)
Round 5 Pick 3: Nick Cross, FS/SS, Maryland (A+)
Round 5 Pick 5: Zander Horvath, FB/RB, Purdue (C-)
Round 6 Pick 4: Jack Sanborn, ILB, Wisconsin (A+)

22 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I like this draft but you can't not draft a CB even if Graham mans that spot.

CB is a position I would prefer they spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on.  Since those high picks are scarce next draft, I am alright starting with Johnson locked on one side and Graham/Vildor/FA/Shelly competing for the other side.  Maybe take a flyer on another late round pick if there is someone they like but not sure how a late round will be able to lock that other side down.  The following year I think they can go high with a 1st or 2nd. 

We can scrap TE Ruckert or the FB Horvath for CB but those are elements that I think can help the offense. 

On 12/22/2021 at 8:20 AM, adam said:

We are not locked into a WR in the 2nd by no means. If they sign someone like Gallup or Williams, you can go with a later round WR as WR3.

Even if they do not sign Gallup or Williams they can skip over WR until the mid rounds.

8 hours ago, jason said:

Even if they do not sign Gallup or Williams they can skip over WR until the mid rounds.

My fear is you won't get a true #1 after the 2nd or 3rd round. Once you get past pick 100, the odds of that are extremely low. 3rd Round seems like a sweet spot for WRs, most of the top WRs this year were drafted in the 3rd (Kupp, Godwin, Allen, Johnson, etc).

If there is not an absolute stud with the mid-30s pick, I would love to move back to the 50s and pick up a pick in the 80s. That would give the Bears 3 picks in the top 100, then the 2x 5ths and a 6th. In those 3, I would go WR, CB, OL or S. 

I’m just so sick of seeing skill players fail in Chicago because of the blocking,. Adequate weapons are there. Monty could be extremely dangerous If he ever got consistent holes, and the same is true for Fields’s development. Or maybe y’all like seeing him back pedal under pressure and then allow the sack.

Build the OL; everything else will work.

4 hours ago, jason said:

I’m just so sick of seeing tasted ski payers fail in Chicago because of the blocking,. Adequate weapons are there. Monty could be extremely dangerous If he ever got consistent holes, and the same is true for Fields’s development. Or maybe y’all like seeing him back pedal under pressure and then allow the sack.

Build the OL; everything else will work.

I agree it needs to be a priority because it makes everything else better. I think we stick with the development of Borom and Jenkins so a OT wont be a high pick. I do see an upgrade at OC as the most important move. Whether resign Daniels and plug him at center. I listen to Olin on the SCORE and  that Daniels now has experience that he didnt have when he was original plugged in to OC. Great at RBlocking  and has gotten better at PBlocking. I think it would be easier to get a stud at RG than trying to find a OC that excels as a rookie. 

7 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I agree it needs to be a priority because it makes everything else better. I think we stick with the development of Borom and Jenkins so a OT wont be a high pick. I do see an upgrade at OC as the most important move. Whether resign Daniels and plug him at center. I listen to Olin on the SCORE and  that Daniels now has experience that he didnt have when he was original plugged in to OC. Great at RBlocking  and has gotten better at PBlocking. I think it would be easier to get a stud at RG than trying to find a OC that excels as a rookie. 

Plus it's putting a lot on a rookie to start at center vs a rookie starting at guard.  The center QB exchange takes time to gel and isn't as plug and play.