Just Hire the Bills Duo

DABEARSDABOMB

Bears should just hire Shoen and Dabol. Seriously I don’t want to over think this. Bills have drafted well, made good trades, run a good team. Don’t get cute and take the two Bills guys. Than see if Dabol can go lure Fangio to be DC :). 

I want Dabol building an offense around Fields. I also want Dabol bringing Ken Dorsey with him too! 

I mean just look at how Dabol uses Allen. He uses his legs and athleticism perfectly to put him in great spot. Designed runs but effective roll outs to pressure the D and make the reads easy on his QB. 

Fields is not very different from Allen when it comes to physical tools either. Man I am getting excited already. 

9 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Bears should just hire Shoen and Dabol. Seriously I don’t want to over think this. Bills have drafted well, made good trades, run a good team. Don’t get cute and take the two Bills guys. Than see if Dabol can go lure Fangio to be DC :). 

I want Dabol building an offense around Fields. I also want Dabol bringing Ken Dorsey with him too! 

Not only was the entire game plan centered around the strengths of his QB and players, he adapted. He came in with a completely different game plan than NE has seen on tape. There was nothing they could do. Every defensive call was wrong. It felt like half the plays were for 15 yards or more. 

I thought there would be some adjustments at halftime, but whatever NE tried didn't work. 27-3 at halftime and outscored 20-7 before a garbage time TD. 

7 hours ago, adam said:

Not only was the entire game plan centered around the strengths of his QB and players, he adapted. He came in with a completely different game plan than NE has seen on tape. There was nothing they could do. Every defensive call was wrong. It felt like half the plays were for 15 yards or more. 

I thought there would be some adjustments at halftime, but whatever NE tried didn't work. 27-3 at halftime and outscored 20-7 before a garbage time TD. 

To be fair Allen usually had something close to forever to throw the football.  You could see the coaching he has had with him just side stepping into a soft area of the pocket and it was frustrating the Patriots D.  The Josh Allen of 2 years ago would have just taken off and run after 2 seconds.  I agree, Daboll and the Bills offense made Belichick look very Nagy-esque.  It was both surprising and enjoyable to watch.    I didn't see anything from QB Jones that made me think he's better than Fields.  

16 hours ago, AZ54 said:

To be fair Allen usually had something close to forever to throw the football.  You could see the coaching he has had with him just side stepping into a soft area of the pocket and it was frustrating the Patriots D.  The Josh Allen of 2 years ago would have just taken off and run after 2 seconds.  I agree, Daboll and the Bills offense made Belichick look very Nagy-esque.  It was both surprising and enjoyable to watch.    I didn't see anything from QB Jones that made me think he's better than Fields.  

I'd be down with this, this combo would likely mean a renewed focus on building up the OL.  Till the line is fixed it will limit how good any scheme will be or at least limit the potential.  Didn't really watch much playoff football this weekend. Haven't trained the new baby yet to allow me 3-6 hours on a Saturday and Sunday to watch football yet.  Was surprised to see that Belichick kinda got beat at his own game.  Sounds like the Bills came in prepared and were always a step ahead of NE.  How refreshing would it be to have a coaching staff that actually had their team prepared and even being able to outsmart and out scheme the great Belichick.  With Nagy we looked unprepared week after week, to go with the running joke of "we had a good week of practice".  Whoever we get in here I want a GM who can build a winning roster, and a coaching staff that can create a game plan that is specific to his opponent week after week.  

Of all the rookie QB's Jones had the easiest situation to walk into.  He got drafted into a playoff ready team that only asked him to play it safe.  He didn't have the pressure of having to win games or be the most talented player on a crappy team with a high draft pick.

38 minutes ago, BearFan2000 said:

How refreshing would it be to have a coaching staff that actually had their team prepared and even being able to outsmart and out scheme the great Belichick.  

This! It has been such a frustrating experience because the average fan could see the team's deficiencies and how unprepared they were. Now reports are coming out on how the offense players knew the plays and scheme were crap and they had to continue and go out there and look like clowns. 

The only saving grace in all of this is that the stars may have aligned perfectly for us to get Fields one year, and possibly Daboll the next.

I think the Bears have to go Offensive HC and a GM that has proven to be able to draft offense. The NFL is an offensive league, all teams that have had sustained success have had a great QB and offense.   

From the List of HC candidates here are the offensive coaches. 

Leftwich = he needs more experience. Started coaching in 2017. Started in AZ and now in Tampa. I believe he's only been coaching under Bruce. 

Jim Caldwell - NO THANKS, two-time HC IND and DET. A hair over .500. Ive seen that movie already. 

Hackett - GB OC, how good is he having Rodgers. He has been coaching for a long time other than that i don't know much about him. 

Pedersen - won a SB , not really a fan of him tho.  Been around the league a long time. 

Brian Daboll - has been coaching a long time, was with the NE for 5 SB's. Experiencing prep for a SB is very valuable. He's helped coach Tom Brady and watched Tom Brady firsthand, also valuable.  He's coached under Nick Saban as well. Daboll has also developed Josh Allen, something we need with Justin Fields.  One thing i don't know about him is if he is a great leader. 

I think Daboll is the clear choice if you go offensive HC. IF Justin Fields develops into an elite QB coaches from the Bears staff will be poached, I would rather not have to change offensive systems every time an OC gets hired away.  He has experience under two of the best HC's to ever coach, he has experience developing a young QB. 

29 minutes ago, Chitownhustla said:

I think the Bears have to go Offensive HC and a GM that has proven to be able to draft offense. The NFL is an offensive league, all teams that have had sustained success have had a great QB and offense.   

From the List of HC candidates here are the offensive coaches. 

Leftwich = he needs more experience. Started coaching in 2017. Started in AZ and now in Tampa. I believe he's only been coaching under Bruce. 

Jim Caldwell - NO THANKS, two-time HC IND and DET. A hair over .500. Ive seen that movie already. 

Hackett - GB OC, how good is he having Rodgers. He has been coaching for a long time other than that i don't know much about him. 

Pedersen - won a SB , not really a fan of him tho.  Been around the league a long time. 

Brian Daboll - has been coaching a long time, was with the NE for 5 SB's. Experiencing prep for a SB is very valuable. He's helped coach Tom Brady and watched Tom Brady firsthand, also valuable.  He's coached under Nick Saban as well. Daboll has also developed Josh Allen, something we need with Justin Fields.  One thing i don't know about him is if he is a great leader. 

I think Daboll is the clear choice if you go offensive HC. IF Justin Fields develops into an elite QB coaches from the Bears staff will be poached, I would rather not have to change offensive systems every time an OC gets hired away.  He has experience under two of the best HC's to ever coach, he has experience developing a young QB. 

Yeah, Leftwich is ok, but very hard to separate him from Brady at the moment. Caldwell is not bad but not great, he feels like a low floor low ceiling guy. Hackett, very similar to Leftwich, how do you separate him from Rodgers? Pederson would be the most seamless, but not much of a ceiling there either. 

Daboll clearly provides the highest ceiling, but it will depend on how much he would influence Fields and the offense as the HC. A big leap between coordinator and HC. 

1 minute ago, adam said:

Yeah, Leftwich is ok, but very hard to separate him from Brady at the moment. Caldwell is not bad but not great, he feels like a low floor low ceiling guy. Hackett, very similar to Leftwich, how do you separate him from Rodgers? Pederson would be the most seamless, but not much of a ceiling there either. 

Daboll clearly provides the highest ceiling, but it will depend on how much he would influence Fields and the offense as the HC. A big leap between coordinator and HC. 

True. I would think he would be very involved in the QB development as I would think Andy Reid has had a lot to do with Mahomes development. Is he a leader? Can he get other talented coaches to follow him to the Bears? Those would be my two main questions as we can see his offense works with a good oline / QB / Wr's.  

Im starting to think that Daboll might be an actual Belichick tree product that understood the whole thing and can replicate it. So many of Belichick's disciples turned out not to be able to work the magic, but this guy has. I think you hire him immediately. And why not take the GM too? Unless you want them not to be so cozy so the GM can hold him accountable.

I think, since you never know, and theres risk in this, that you take the two Buffalo guys and ride with that. It's as good a plan as any without having a crystal ball. There's nothing there that McCaskey can see that would give him info to make a better decision. Maybe an equally good one, but that's not reason to walk from this.

Do what it takes to wrap him up now. Wanna know how McCaskey can screw up? By continuing his ridiculous process and not grabbing the right guy when you can. Its like having a WR in the end zone wide open, and you're looking for a better WR to throw it to.

48 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Im starting to think that Daboll might be an actual Belichick tree product that understood the whole thing and can replicate it. So many of Belichick's disciples turned out not to be able to work the magic, but this guy has. I think you hire him immediately. And why not take the GM too? Unless you want them not to be so cozy so the GM can hold him accountable.

I'm good with Dodds and Daboll.  Both teams are built the same.  Dodds is the top executive name out there for the last couple of years.  They can bring the best of both orgs.

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I'm good with Dodds and Daboll.  Both teams are built the same.  Dodds is the top executive name out there for the last couple of years.  They can bring the best of both orgs.

I'm pretty happy with that too. I think they share an agent as well (which usually helps, oddly enough).  I do like your point - get one from the Bills, one from the Colts - ensure they can work together and let the sweet magic happen in Chicago!!! 

4 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

does having the GM who has oversight over the coach share an agent with the coach present a conflict?

One would think it might - but evidently it happens all the time. My guess is it is such a small world it just happens a lot. Just like GMs and players might share an agent - although I think it likely happens pretty rarely. A lot of GMs don’t even have agents (which would kind of make sense - if you negotiate deals for a living do you really need an agent?).

If you did only reason I would think you would is to let him be the bad guy so you aren’t and than working with the owner after pushing to maximize your value. 

3 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

One would think it might - but evidently it happens all the time. My guess is it is such a small world it just happens a lot. Just like GMs and players might share an agent - although I think it likely happens pretty rarely. A lot of GMs don’t even have agents (which would kind of make sense - if you negotiate deals for a living do you really need an agent?).

If you did only reason I would think you would is to let him be the bad guy so you aren’t and than working with the owner after pushing to maximize your value. 

that all makes sense