Dodds pulling his name from GM with Bears

Chitownhustla

8 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Thank you.  I read that he doesn't have an interview personality.  I wonder how that would affect attracting free agents and UDFA's.  

Depends, if it's about the money than I don't see it being an issue. If he builds a winner guys will want to be there because it's a great city, it's not like you are trying to get FA's to move to GB. 

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

There is no way they discuss salary on the first interview.

He has withdrawn himself from 3 different GM interviews over past couple of years. Some speculation that he didn't interview well. Some indications that he has an abrasive personality and some views that maybe he just is a much better fit as a scout (vs. a GM). In general - while he is clearly an elite scout - the fit doesn't seem right here.  I really think it will come down to Khan, Morocco Brown (Colts - but more generally viewed higher in league circles in terms of GM potential), and Rick Smith.  I don't think it is coincidence that those 3 will be some of the final 1st round candidates either.  

I also continue to believe if you hire Khanh - the GM role really is the quasi president role. He's the bigger business / cap / strategic guy and my presumption is he likely restructures the front office to bring in an Asst GM (potentially champ Bailey) and elevates some other roles to increase the overall horsepower. My guess is Rick Smith would do something similar.  I still think some of the "up and coming" names they interviewed could also be on the docket to get hired for "other firepower" roles within the org. Or at least that would be the type of thing that would get me to start thinking the Bears got this right this time.  

Timing wise - while I hate putting a timeline out there - they got to get to 2nd rounds later in the week and make a decision no later than Monday/Tuesday. Than accelerate the coaching carousel and in-house and get that decision made in following week (unless there is a candidate you have to wait on hiring because of an extended post-season run).  In meantime - front office can start building out plans for draft, planning the cap, etc.  

On 1/20/2022 at 10:37 AM, DABEARSDABOMB said:

He has withdrawn himself from 3 different GM interviews over past couple of years. Some speculation that he didn't interview well. Some indications that he has an abrasive personality and some views that maybe he just is a much better fit as a scout (vs. a GM). In general - while he is clearly an elite scout - the fit doesn't seem right here.  I really think it will come down to Khan, Morocco Brown (Colts - but more generally viewed higher in league circles in terms of GM potential), and Rick Smith.  I don't think it is coincidence that those 3 will be some of the final 1st round candidates either.  

I also continue to believe if you hire Khanh - the GM role really is the quasi president role. He's the bigger business / cap / strategic guy and my presumption is he likely restructures the front office to bring in an Asst GM (potentially champ Bailey) and elevates some other roles to increase the overall horsepower. My guess is Rick Smith would do something similar.  I still think some of the "up and coming" names they interviewed could also be on the docket to get hired for "other firepower" roles within the org. Or at least that would be the type of thing that would get me to start thinking the Bears got this right this time.  

Timing wise - while I hate putting a timeline out there - they got to get to 2nd rounds later in the week and make a decision no later than Monday/Tuesday. Than accelerate the coaching carousel and in-house and get that decision made in following week (unless there is a candidate you have to wait on hiring because of an extended post-season run).  In meantime - front office can start building out plans for draft, planning the cap, etc.  

All of your comments make sense.I would take Rick Smith and Daboll