Please hire Brian Daboll

adam

His offense just put up 47 against NE (with the best QB performance in playoff history) and 36 on KC in back-to-back weeks. Absolutely bonkers. If not for the stupid OT rule, the Bills win this game.

To end the regular season after that snowmaggedeon game, the Bills offense scored 27, 31, 33, 29, and 27 going 4-1 in the process. If you include the postseason, that is 7 straight games with 27 or more points. The Bears hit 27 in 3 times the entire year.

I agree 100%. I want Daboll as our HC.

But let me play devil's advocate.

Many on this forum want a GM hired before a HC, allowing the new GM to have an input into the HC hiring.

Daboll, with no assurance from the Bears, may not want to risk passing up on the Giants if they offer him the job after his 2nd interview.

So do we try to hire Daboll now before the Giants or wait for the new Bears' GM to be in place?

12 minutes ago, Pixote said:

So do we try to hire Daboll now before the Giants or wait for the new Bears' GM to be in place?

We have one chance to get the next three years right and that's a minimum.  Hiring the GM first is the right thing to do.  Hopefully that is getting really close and that GM loves Daboll.  I would love to see Jim Caldwell as OC.

16 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

We have one chance to get the next three years right and that's a minimum.  Hiring the GM first is the right thing to do.  Hopefully that is getting really close and that GM loves Daboll.  I would love to see Jim Caldwell as OC.

GM first is a must. I hope they have one picked soon. As For Daboll, i can get excited about him as a HC. Fields to the MOON!!!!!

43 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I agree 100%. I want Daboll as our HC.

But let me play devil's advocate.

Many on this forum want a GM hired before a HC, allowing the new GM to have an input into the HC hiring.

Daboll, with no assurance from the Bears, may not want to risk passing up on the Giants if they offer him the job after his 2nd interview.

Yeah - I don't see him taking the Bears job. He is my preferred candidate and I wanted to go the Bills duo, but it seemed like Giants had circled the wagon on their GM a while ago and with the connection and past relationship I think it will be hard for any team not named the Giants to get Daboll.  I can cross my fingers and hope that isn't true - but it certainly appears that way.

But like you - I do want to get the GM right first as I don't think they should have hired a HC (at least not the names being listed) before having the GM in place. I do think the team could have moved quicker though - since technically the Giants didn't have their positions open as fast as the Bears, but after all the times the Bears rushed/got things wrong - I don't mind methodical, especially in a year with as many good front office caliber people as there is.  I really think getting the front office/gm role right is critical because talent wins in this league. Coaching is also very important but we got to get the right person to lead all of the football stuff so lets get that right first.  

I do like the 3 finalist (or presumed finalist) in Poles, Khanh, and Brown.  I would love Khan getting an elevated title and bringing in one of the others as GM.  

Yeah, definitely need GM first. I was hoping they would've had one locked in before Daboll became available. Hopefully, they can get that settled this week. Two more teams will be out and have potential HC candidates available to hire. 

Daboll will be available in 2-3 years if he takes the Giants job. Daniel Jones and a hobbled Barkley? He is good, but not a miracle worker. That roster is crap and they have no cap space. It would take 3-4 years to turn that ship around. Are they willing to reset at QB again?

15 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Yeah - I don't see him taking the Bears job. He is my preferred candidate and I wanted to go the Bills duo, but it seemed like Giants had circled the wagon on their GM a while ago and with the connection and past relationship I think it will be hard for any team not named the Giants to get Daboll.  I can cross my fingers and hope that isn't true - but it certainly appears that way.

But like you - I do want to get the GM right first as I don't think they should have hired a HC (at least not the names being listed) before having the GM in place. I do think the team could have moved quicker though - since technically the Giants didn't have their positions open as fast as the Bears, but after all the times the Bears rushed/got things wrong - I don't mind methodical, especially in a year with as many good front office caliber people as there is.  I really think getting the front office/gm role right is critical because talent wins in this league. Coaching is also very important but we got to get the right person to lead all of the football stuff so lets get that right first.  

I do like the 3 finalist (or presumed finalist) in Poles, Khanh, and Brown.  I would love Khan getting an elevated title and bringing in one of the others as GM.  

I thought Polian and Daboll had some connections over many years?  

12 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I thought Polian and Daboll had some connections over many years?  

I believe Polian's kids played HS football with Daboll.  

This from AL.com:  

"Daboll went to high school with Los Angeles Rams general manager Tom Telesco, Jacksonville Jaguars general manager Dave Caldwell, former Indianapolis Colts GM Chris Polian and former Nevada head coach and current Notre Dame special teams coach Brian Polian. It was Brian Polian who first connected Daboll and Saban. After a year as a graduate assistant at Michigan State under Saban, Polian landed a job as an assistant coach at Buffalo. Knowing Saban would need a new GA, Polian recommended Daboll."

Full article here:  https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2017/03/its_come_full_circle_the_path.html

My instinct makes me want to see us hire the GM then let him pick his coach rather than hire a coach and then find a GM that will accept the coach we hired.  

I've more and more been asking myself am I open to us doing things differently.  It's possible the hires could be near simultaneous where both candidates are giving their list of who they would like to work with.  Whether it's the GM giving input on which HC candidates top his list, or whether it's the HC candidate and the GM candidates that top his list.  I hate to use the word but it could be a collaborative effort.   We do know that outside some rare cases, the GM to HC working relationship needs to mesh well, doesn't mean they need to see eye to eye but they need to be able to work together.  I'm still not on board with hiring a coach without having one or more GM candidates in mind that have stated they like the coach we hired.  It's also possible that hiring a specific coach may help land the GM we want too.

Bottom line if by hook or crook we finally get it right and the Bears return to being the proud  franchise they once were all this will be forgotten.  Here's hoping this is finally that turning point. It would be even sweeter if things turn around here as things turn south for the Packers as they likely are going to be in rebuild mode possibly without Rodgers and Adams.