Offensive line options

Stinger226

Poles stated , his first task is to fix the oline.   Signed for this year are Whitehair, Jenkins, Borom,  Ty Wheatly, Dieter Eiselen , and Willie Wright. 

Whitehair. had an off year, but over the last 3 years has been our best lineman. Plus a big contract that doesn't allow the team to get out of it for one more year. Pencil him in at LG

Jenkins will be playing LT or at RT depending on who we bring in . 

Borom will be RT or RG depending on who they bring in. 

FAgency could bring in LTs : Orlando Brown,  Cam Robinson are under 27 and will be getting big contracts. Old dudes: Teven Armsted, Duane Brown  Nate Solder,  Riley Reiff, and Jason Peters. 

FAgency OC : Ryan Jensen, Brian Allen, Ben Jones, Ted Karras , Bradley Bozeman. 

FAgency RG: Brandon Scheff, Mark Glowinski, Trai Turner, Alex Cappa, and James Daniels.

I didn't list LG or RT because we have players at those positions.

There are a few LTs available, but I think the price tag will be to high.

Option 1) Jenkins, Whitehair,  Jensen, Draftee ( Zion Johnson or Darian Kinnard), Borom

This option has us signing a FA center 3 choices. Jensen (12 mil), Brian Allen (7 mil), Karras (5 mil). Also it has us drafting a RG, Johnson and Kennard  fall in the beginning of the 2nd round drafting rankings.

Option 2) Draftee ( Bernhard Raimann or Trevor Penning) Whitehair, Daniels, Borom, Jenkins.

In this option we resign Daniels, put at OC, and draft a LT prospect. Using CBS sports, big board for reference.

Option 3) Jenkins, Whitehair, Ted Karras, Mark Glowinski, Borom.

In this option he  brings in 2 free agents , and draft a couple of OLs not in our first 2 picks. Karras and Glowinski are inexpensive options that had better than average years last year..

Option 4)   Jason Peters, Whitehair, Brian Allen, Borom, Jenkins 

We resign  Peters for one year ( 77.5 PFF rating) and draft a OT in the third round for us to develop for a year. Sean Ryan or Max Mitchell are ranked near that draft spot. Also sign Dennis Allen at a medium priced contract.

There are many different combinations of FAs and draftees of which Poles could go. Until we figure out how he grades his existing players, had to pin down.

Idea situation would be to sign Orlando Brown, and bring in a cheap option Ted Karras at OC. I just don't think he's bringing in a 20 mil FAgent.

Jacob Infante suggested bring in Allen at OC and draft Zion Johnson for RG. I would be on  board with that option. Allen is 27 and had 80 PFF rating. Rams have cap issues, probably won't match a high offer 7-8 mil range because of their cap.

Free agents I like, Ryan Jensen, Brian Allen, Ted Karras, Alex Cappa, Moses Morgan, Orlando Brown, James Daniels.

Poles also said he wasn't going after Tier 1 FAs. So that takes a few of those guys off the list. 

I like a blended approach and close to Option 3, I think they will go after a mid-tier Center and one other mid-tier FA (could be Daniels), then target one other spot on the line early in the draft. Then you let the best 5 win their positions with Borom in the mix.  

Glowinski or Cappa seem reasonable, but I guess it will depend on the market.

Karras makes a lot of sense too at Center. 

Zion Johnson would be awesome, but I don't know if he is going to make it to 39.

I don't think they re-sign Daniels unless he has a mid-tier price tag. He is still only 24 and was probably hurt a little by the revolving clown car door on the O-Line which had him switching positions over the last few years.

Peters, Whitehair, Mustipher, Daniels, Ifedi, Jenkins, Borom, Wilkinson, Bars, Simmons

Above is the current roster.  In bold are the only players that belong on an NFL roster.

Out of the bolded players, only Whitehair, Jenkins and Borom are under contract.  Bars and Mustipher are RFA's.  In case anyone wondered, all of the non bolded players also have no contract.  This information should tell you that Ryan Pace should never make personnel decisions ever again.  

With the three players we have under contract, I would put Jenkins at right tackle and not even think about moving him to the left side.  I don't see Borom as a starter yet, but if I had to put him in a starting position, it would be at RG.  Whitehair should remain at LG, as I was never impressed with him at OC.

I believe we offer Daniels a market fair contact for him to remain our RG.  He went be terribly extensive.  I like us to retain our RFA's as key backups.  I pray to the football Gods that Jason Peters signs for one more year.  If for anything, to know we at least have a contingency plan for left tackle.

In free agency and the draft, we must, above all else, find a left tackle for the future, because we don't have one on the roster.  This is why I have been clamoring for us to obtain more draft picks for the last few years.  It all starts up front and we are very incomplete.  Cam Robinson and Orlando Brown may be impossible to get.  The Jags are desperate to protect Lawrence and the Chiefs gave up four draft picks to get Brown.  Both of these guys are likely to be franchise tagged, at minimum.  I'm hoping we can draft someone like Rasheed Walker in the second round.  In free agency, Ryan Jensen is a viable option to sign.  To fill out the roster, I would draft another interior lineman and sign one for the vet minimum.  Our OL should improve this year, but I believe it won't be considered good until next year.

Poles talked today about lean offensive lineman that can move . Who do we have on the roster that fits that mold. Jenkins moves well for a big guy. I don't think Borom fits that scheme. If Borom loses more weight does that change for him? He is more of a road grader than an agile OL. I do think Daniels fits as a move blocker.  So if Borom is a backup, do they resign Daniels and bring in a OT and move Jenkins to RT? Does Alan Bars come into play. I think they used a zone scheme at ND.  Does that mean they stick with Mustifer and get him stronger to handle stronger DTs?  Mustifer was weak at point of contact but can more strength change that? Evaluate our rostered OL and see what say you.

10 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Poles talked today about lean offensive lineman that can move . Who do we have on the roster that fits that mold. Jenkins moves well for a big guy. I don't think Borom fits that scheme. If Borom loses more weight does that change for him? He is more of a road grader than an agile OL. I do think Daniels fits as a move blocker.  So if Borom is a backup, do they resign Daniels and bring in a OT and move Jenkins to RT? Does Alan Bars come into play. I think they used a zone scheme at ND.  Does that mean they stick with Mustifer and get him stronger to handle stronger DTs?  Mustifer was weak at point of contact but can more strength change that? Evaluate our rostered OL and see what say you.

Mustipher adding more bulk will only slow him down further and I think that was part of his problem last year after adding strength.  Daniels would appear to be perfect fit for that description.  Agree on Borom, he's part of that group of younger players who need to get leaner and quicker.  Bars too as Castillo's bulk-up program didn't seem to do him any favors.  

I watched the video of Poles and while answering the Oline question he was avoiding eye contact until he had carefully worded his answer.  He wouldn't even commit to Daniels as someone he'd like to re-sign so he's keeping his cards close to his vest.  

Listening to Jurko talk today and he unequivocally stated that Jenkins is not a left tackle.  That doesn't mean Poles sees it that way.  If he does, that's damning as hell on Pace.  I truly would love to see Jenkins in the Pro Bowl, but I think it's going to be at RT.

I can see us going after a OC in free agency. Several could be got on  median contracts. Ted Karras, Brian Allen,  Bradley Boseman are all listed between 5-7 mil a year . That would be the cheapest acquisition compared to getting a OT. The big question is does Poles view Daniels as an essential resign. Because of his age,  he is projected to get between 8-10 mil a year.  We will know as soon as Free agency starts, what Poles thinks of Daniels. Also if Whitehair doesn't fit his lineman profile, a  post June 1st cut saves us 8.2 mil. Which could pay for Daniels or a FA center. So l would like to see us sign a OC, drop Whitehair,, resign Daniels, Draft a OT. I think someone already suggested that in another post. 

I'm not educated enough on technique and footwork but, I can tell aggression when I see it and Jenkins is aggressive running to the sidelines and drawing a penalty protecting his QB from what he thought was an illegal hit. We loved Kyle Long and Olin Kreutz for that tenacity.

Keep an eye on this guy:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/zion-johnson-scheme-fit-nfl-combine-draft

“I always say that if you don't love football, you're not going to go very far," said Johnson. "Because when you get in those hard moments, when you're tired, something’s not feeling right, you have to fall back on something. And if it's superficial, you're not going to be able to sustain that.”

I heard a podcast with Olin today. His biggest concern was to go out and get best LT in your price range and start there with fixing the oline. He also said do not count out Mustifer as being the starting OC this year. He is bias because he helps train Sam . He said Sam knows what he needs to work on and will get it done. That the outside zone scheme fits his talent better. If I remember he played very well in 2020 the five games he started. He put on 30 lbs and didn't feel comfortable with it. Look for him to be 15 lbs lighter and not lose any strength.

The LTs out of our price range are Armsted, O Brown, Cam Robinson, Duane Brown. The potential LTs available:  Nate Solder, Eric Fisher, Joseph Noteboom, Chris Hubbard, and Cornelius Lucas. I would say the best options would to sign Solder or Fisher to a one year deal as you develop a draft pick. My choice would to  pay Joseph Noteboom on a 4 year contract and watch him grow. He has played limited snaps but performed well the last two years. Its a risk but one you may win. If Noteboom can handle the job and Mustifer steps up, thats 4 spots pinned down. I would say your only decision is resign Daniels and cut Whitehair, or go with Daniels. Draft a OT and OC prospects later in the draft. Use your first two picks on dynamic WRs. They will be good choices there.

Noteboom, Whitehair, Johnson, Borom, Jenkins? 

Another possibility is bringing back Daniels to play Center, then going with something like: Noteboom, Whitehair, Daniels, Johnson, Jenkins with Borom as the swing tackle. 

I ranted on and on last year about the sheer incompetence of how they built the off. line last year.  Waiting till the start of training camp to have a left tackle with just one snap in a real game on the roster.  With two ex off lineman on the staff building the roster I hope they pick up a center and left tackle and a couple WR's also.  With the new scheme and blocking all of the off line players on the roster at this time could be playing at a different position.  I don't expect any splash free agent pick-ups.  Some young, hungry, mid level free agents on prove it deals.  Please don't sign a big splash LT and make him the highest paid player at his position Ala Mack in 18.  And begin again spending future money they don't have.

The off. line is problem number one in my book followed closely by WR and DB's.

45 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

A lot of the free agents the Bears look at will disappear by tags and resigning with current team. 90% of the time they have the advantage. I seen an article on Sports Mockery by Eric Lambert that was interesting. After just bad mouthing him over a story, I'm going to have to give him some credit. He brought up Zack Tom a LT not highly rated that use to play OC. He was rated high at that but Wake Forest needed him to play LT for the last two years. He could be that sneeky 5th round pick that starts at OC for us next year.

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/the-left-tackle-ryan-poles-may-see-as-his-own-creed-humphrey/

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

A lot of the free agents the Bears look at will disappear by tags and resigning with current team. 90% of the time they have the advantage. I seen an article on Sports Mockery by Eric Lambert that was interesting. After just bad mouthing him over a story, I'm going to have to give him some credit. He brought up Zack Tom a LT not highly rated that use to play OC. He was rated high at that but Wake Forest needed him to play LT for the last two years. He could be that sneeky 5th round pick that starts at OC for us next year.

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/the-left-tackle-ryan-poles-may-see-as-his-own-creed-humphrey/

I love this pick if we can get him on day 3. 

Peace

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Zach Tom looked really good in the drills and I agree he’s  a good option but he’s likely moving up some draft boards after his combine performance.   He’s still a day 3 prospect but will he last until the 5th Rd or has he crept up into the 4th?  

43 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Zach Tom looked really good in the drills and I agree he’s  a good option but he’s likely moving up some draft boards after his combine performance.   He’s still a day 3 prospect but will he last until the 5th Rd or has he crept up into the 4th?  

I wouldn't wait till the 5th.  Good catch Stinger.  

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I wouldn't wait till the 5th.  Good catch Stinger.  

We need to move back and get a 4th round pick. Only having 5 picks sucks considering Poles wants to build threw the draft. Poles was in the room last yr when KC drafted a 6th round OG, Trey Smith , that started for them last year. Pick 63 was a pro bowl rookie OC , Creed Humphrey. I can see that happening for us. 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

We need to move back and get a 4th round pick. Only having 5 picks sucks considering Poles wants to build threw the draft. Poles was in the room last yr when KC drafted a 6th round OG, Trey Smith , that started for them last year. Pick 63 was a pro bowl rookie OC , Creed Humphrey. I can see that happening for us. 

That's why I think an asset or two will be traded, especially Quinn.  This is the only year we get the benefit of knowing what several scouting departments think.  Anyone over 30 won't be here when we get good.

26 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

That's why I think an asset or two will be traded, especially Quinn.  This is the only year we get the benefit of knowing what several scouting departments think.  Anyone over 30 won't be here when we get good.

Trading good players is a valid option but the players we have with any reasonable demand from another team just saw their value drop.  There are many good edge rush options and interior DT.   I can’t see any team not waiting until after the draft before trading for one of our players unless we were to put some money in the deal.  

1 minute ago, AZ54 said:

Trading good players is a valid option but the players we have with any reasonable demand from another team just saw their value drop.  There are many good edge rush options and interior DT.   I can’t see any team not waiting until after the draft before trading for one of our players unless we were to put some money in the deal.  

Yeah, it would be tough.  But, with Quinn you get something proven.  Contenders that need just a little more might do it.

I think that kind of trade would happen if a SB contender gets someone hurt in training camp and then trades to upgrade. They will address the spot in FA and the draft first. If training camp then wouldn't do much for this year. Maybe right before the trading deadline, similar to Miller going to LA. 

Since all the good WRs won't be available or cost to much, I would sign Joseph Noteboom/LT and Brian Allen./OC and then with the first two picks in the draft, grab WRs. In the two fifth round picks get a developmental OT and OG. Two positions fixed in one yr.