Mock Drafts

adam

I know we posted some in other threads, but I thought it could use its own with how many we are going to do between now at April.

Here is one I did with PFF's Mock Draft Simulator, just one trade down for a 3rd and a 5th. Still picked up Johnson (which is unlikely), but hey. 

Johnson is a no-brainer if there. Went for great value at #71 and got a great athlete to pair with Smith at LB. Moore becomes the defacto starting Slot WR. Domann is a hybrid LB-DB that can lineup almost anywhere on the defense. With so many sub packages, he would be perfect for big Nickel. Watson is the big WR we have needed, could play opposite of Mooney on the outside. Flott is 6'2" so he has good size and length for the new scheme. Elliss is a 367 lbs DT who could spell Tonga at NT. 

pff_mock_results (1).png

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstpick.com has a good draft simulator. I think Zion is a good get even we don't trade back. I see a few trades but the simulators present that option to much. The big board on some of these sites are off.  No way Watson makes it to 5th. I would love to get two WRs , Sky or Watson would be great.

On 2/23/2022 at 6:48 PM, adam said:

I know we posted some in other threads, but I thought it could use its own with how many we are going to do between now at April.

Here is one I did with PFF's Mock Draft Simulator, just one trade down for a 3rd and a 5th. Still picked up Johnson (which is unlikely), but hey. 

Johnson is a no-brainer if there. Went for great value at #71 and got a great athlete to pair with Smith at LB. Moore becomes the defacto starting Slot WR. Domann is a hybrid LB-DB that can lineup almost anywhere on the defense. With so many sub packages, he would be perfect for big Nickel. Watson is the big WR we have needed, could play opposite of Mooney on the outside. Flott is 6'2" so he has good size and length for the new scheme. Elliss is a 367 lbs DT who could spell Tonga at NT. 

pff_mock_results (1).png

Hate it. Western Michigan, ND State, and Idaho? That looks like a Pace Draft where he thinks he can outsmart everyone else.

I like most it. 

Asamoah is similar in traits to Roquan and is aggressive hunting down the ball.  Might not be the most physical inside but his sideline to sideline range offsets that.  

Skyy Moore looks a lot like Christian Kirk did coming out of college and but I don't think he'll be much more than a 3rd/4 WR in the NFL.  I'd be looking for better value at this pick.  

Domann looks like he's more football player than athlete but we need one of those at S. Probably will have some liabilities in coverage but his ability to hunt near the LOS is a plus.  

I have no problem taking Watson this late in the draft.  

Flott seems like a reasonable risk at finding a NB

I see no need for Ellis when we have Tonga on the roster.  

10 hours ago, jason said:

Hate it. Western Michigan, ND State, and Idaho? That looks like a Pace Draft where he thinks he can outsmart everyone else.

Yeah, I would've probably been better off going SEC BPA instead but I just went with PFF Big Board value. That just happen to be who was there at the pick. I will need to do another one and focus on that a little more. 

On 2/23/2022 at 8:33 PM, Stinger226 said:

Firstpick.com has a good draft simulator. I think Zion is a good get even we don't trade back. I see a few trades but the simulators present that option to much. The big board on some of these sites are off.  No way Watson makes it to 5th. I would love to get two WRs , Sky or Watson would be great.

Firstpick.com? 

Drafting straight up no trades at TDN.https://thedraftnetwork.com/mockDraft/view

39.  Chris Olave.  WR  He was sitting there took me 2s to make the pick

71.  Nicholas Petit-Frere OT   He has all the physical traits to play LT, needs some work.   Jenkins slides to RT

147.  Jack Jones  CB  ASU.     He has all the athletic ability needed to play CB.  Watched him a few games this past season, he gambles a bit at times and ends up lost on some plays but that's why he's still on the board.  Enough quickness to cover the slot if that's where we want him to play.  Coach him up.  

149.  Bryan Cook.  S   Cincinnati.    Not the biggest safety but a very good tackler, brings the right attitude to our defensive backfield, good enough coverage skills

184.  Isaac Taylor-Stuart. CB. USC.   Another athlete who needs coaching, has some injury history, but has starting caliber athleticism and the size at 6'2" to cover bigger receivers outside. 

I was looking to add help on the Dline 3-tech but didn't find anyone I liked based on their board and within reasonable range of our picks.  

9 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Drafting straight up no trades at TDN.https://thedraftnetwork.com/mockDraft/view

39.  Chris Olave.  WR  He was sitting there took me 2s to make the pick

71.  Nicholas Petit-Frere OT   He has all the physical traits to play LT, needs some work.   Jenkins slides to RT

147.  Jack Jones  CB  ASU.     He has all the athletic ability needed to play CB.  Watched him a few games this past season, he gambles a bit at times and ends up lost on some plays but that's why he's still on the board.  Enough quickness to cover the slot if that's where we want him to play.  Coach him up.  

149.  Bryan Cook.  S   Cincinnati.    Not the biggest safety but a very good tackler, brings the right attitude to our defensive backfield, good enough coverage skills

184.  Isaac Taylor-Stuart. CB. USC.   Another athlete who needs coaching, has some injury history, but has starting caliber athleticism and the size at 6'2" to cover bigger receivers outside. 

I was looking to add help on the Dline 3-tech but didn't find anyone I liked based on their board and within reasonable range of our picks.  

Yeah, no way Olave is going 39. If he is still on the board after the first, I can see teams trading up to #33 or #34 to take him, but it's all for fun.

I have been doing the no-trade scenario a lot. I keep getting David Bell, WR at #39, Tyler Smith, OL at #71, and at 147 and 149, a lot of options, I went with Montaric Brown, CB from Arkansas, and Tycen Anderson, S from Toledo. At 184, I went with Thomas Booker, DL from Stanford. Besides no first, there is a huge gap between 71 and 147. I have a feeling Poles is going to attempt to trade out of 39 or 71 unless the guy there is a stud, to get a 4th round pick. 

3 hours ago, adam said:

Yeah, no way Olave is going 39. If he is still on the board after the first, I can see teams trading up to #33 or #34 to take him, but it's all for fun.

I have been doing the no-trade scenario a lot. I keep getting David Bell, WR at #39, Tyler Smith, OL at #71, and at 147 and 149, a lot of options, I went with Montaric Brown, CB from Arkansas, and Tycen Anderson, S from Toledo. At 184, I went with Thomas Booker, DL from Stanford. Besides no first, there is a huge gap between 71 and 147. I have a feeling Poles is going to attempt to trade out of 39 or 71 unless the guy there is a stud, to get a 4th round pick. 

I've been saying that I think Olave goes late 1st in part because of Jameson Williams' injury but more and more often I'm seeing Williams still being taken in the 1st.  Right now it's all speculation he'll return around week 4-6 but the combine health check rumors (and disinformation) will give us a better idea.  I think you are right on someone taking him early in the 2nd especially as he'll be seen a very likely pick for Chicago.  Teams behind us will be thinking they need to get ahead of us to take him.  

The other thing pushing Olave down the board is the rise of Drake London into strong 1st Rd consideration.  

I like this exercise with mock drafts because everyone here is pulling in info from all over.  I agree we'll likely see who is on the board but early 2nd is where draft evaluations/rankings flatten out so if there is no obvious choice there he'll try to trade down.  

I'm not a fan of drafting Bell at 39.  He's a good football player but I think he's part of that group where the evaluations flatten out and you can find similar value later in the draft (Doubs/Watson/Pierce) 

On 2/23/2022 at 5:48 PM, adam said:

pff_mock_results (1).png

GBN had this to say about Zion which should add some fuel to the fire for him being our pick at 39.   If true that could also see his value drop a bit to later 2nd Rd or even early 3rd.  

https://gbnreport.com/2022-prospect-profiles/

Zion Johnson, C/G Boston College, 6-3, 314, 5.15, SR+ … Fifth-year super senior was essentially unrecruited out of high school and ended up at FCS Davidson where he played two seasons before transferring to BC. Started two seasons for the Eagles and one at LT, but is reportedly being looked at by the NFL primarily as a C where he played at the Senior Bowl.   

-------

I think if Poles wants to fix 2 positions on the Oline this offseason (C, LT) he'll do one via FA with the most likely being C since that's cheaper and leaves room to add good depth to the WR or DB groups.   Offset the money by letting Daniels leave.   That would make LT the likely draft target assuming he wants Jenkins on the right side.   The downside being that other would likely see that as being our strategy making us an obvious trade-ahead target for anyone wanting a LT prospect in a given Rd.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

GBN had this to say about Zion which should add some fuel to the fire for him being our pick at 39.   If true that could also see his value drop a bit to later 2nd Rd or even early 3rd.  

https://gbnreport.com/2022-prospect-profiles/

Zion Johnson, C/G Boston College, 6-3, 314, 5.15, SR+ … Fifth-year super senior was essentially unrecruited out of high school and ended up at FCS Davidson where he played two seasons before transferring to BC. Started two seasons for the Eagles and one at LT, but is reportedly being looked at by the NFL primarily as a C where he played at the Senior Bowl.   

-------

I think if Poles wants to fix 2 positions on the Oline this offseason (C, LT) he'll do one via FA with the most likely being C since that's cheaper and leaves room to add good depth to the WR or DB groups.   Offset the money by letting Daniels leave.   That would make LT the likely draft target assuming he wants Jenkins on the right side.   The downside being that other would likely see that as being our strategy making us an obvious trade-ahead target for anyone wanting a LT prospect in a given Rd.  

I want Zion to be our first pick, he is the closest thing to Quinton Nelson in this draft. We can easily find a WR in the 3rd round.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I want Zion to be our first pick, he is the closest thing to Quinton Nelson in this draft. We can easily find a WR in the 3rd round.

I am all in on Zion. You put him on a line with Jenkins and you already have a pretty nasty group. Add one more and the rest will follow suit. 

Just say no to Zion!  He's an overachiever with little upside.

This guy though.  Watch tape.  He's super agile and strong.  He can grow with the game at the NFL level.

Bernhard Raimann, OT, Central Michigan, 6-6, 304, 4.95, SR … Fourth-year senior is arguably THE most interesting player in the 2022 draft class as he only started playing football in high school as a foreign exchange student from Austria. In fact, he was originally a WR in high school, but switched to TE when he arrived at CMU and only moved to OT at the start of the 2020 season. However, he appears to be a natural despite playing a total of only 18 career games at the position. Indeed, proved himself to be for real with a very good week of practice at the Senior Bowl where he was the best offensive lineman in the actual game. He certainly looks that part at 6-6, although his arms are a little shorter than ideal at just 33 inches. He’s also a little light in the caboose, but has the frame to add another 10-15 pounds. What he is is an outstanding all-around athlete who has the potential to really blow-up the combine. He’s very quick and agile, flexible and has outstanding balance and body control. He’s also got legit weight-room strength that translates into a dynamic initial punch as well as the ability to anchor at the point of attack. He’s also very competitive, as well as super smart with a GPA of 3.8 as an Actuarial Science and Statistics major. He’s both a solid run blocker who really locks on and can get to the second level, as well as a reliable pass protector with the quickness to cut off the edge, although his hand placement can be inconsistent at times. At the same time, though, he is a somewhat older player who will turn 25 before the start of his rookie season, which means he’ll already be almost 30 when he comes up for a second contract. Bottom line: Raimann is one of the tougher calls for NFL scouts as he has is still a developing player, and there is the age thing, but has all the tools and has as much upside as any offensive lineman in the 2022 draft.

11 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

This guy though.  Watch tape.  He's super agile and strong.  He can grow with the game at the NFL level.

Bernhard Raimann, OT, Central Michigan, 6-6, 304, 4.95, SR … Fourth-year senior is arguably THE most interesting player in the 2022 draft class as he only started playing football in high school as a foreign exchange student from Austria. In fact, he was originally a WR in high school, but switched to TE when he arrived at CMU and only moved to OT at the start of the 2020 season. However, he appears to be a natural despite playing a total of only 18 career games at the position. Indeed, proved himself to be for real with a very good week of practice at the Senior Bowl where he was the best offensive lineman in the actual game. He certainly looks that part at 6-6, although his arms are a little shorter than ideal at just 33 inches. He’s also a little light in the caboose, but has the frame to add another 10-15 pounds. What he is is an outstanding all-around athlete who has the potential to really blow-up the combine. He’s very quick and agile, flexible and has outstanding balance and body control. He’s also got legit weight-room strength that translates into a dynamic initial punch as well as the ability to anchor at the point of attack. He’s also very competitive, as well as super smart with a GPA of 3.8 as an Actuarial Science and Statistics major. He’s both a solid run blocker who really locks on and can get to the second level, as well as a reliable pass protector with the quickness to cut off the edge, although his hand placement can be inconsistent at times. At the same time, though, he is a somewhat older player who will turn 25 before the start of his rookie season, which means he’ll already be almost 30 when he comes up for a second contract. Bottom line: Raimann is one of the tougher calls for NFL scouts as he has is still a developing player, and there is the age thing, but has all the tools and has as much upside as any offensive lineman in the 2022 draft.

Mongo,
So is Raimann your pick at #39? The Draft Network and PFF have him going in the 1st.

11 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

He would be a good get, but I don't think he starts day one, on the other hand, Zion plug and play.

19 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I read that the other night but haven't yet had time to do any research on him.   His age is certainly a factor but athletic OTs can usually play well into their mid-30s so we should get at least 8-10yr out of him if he performs well.   He seems like a target for us if we were to trade back from 39.   What little I see of him it appears he struggles with length and power which given how new he is to the position are understandable.  Some of his hand placement is poor, getting outside the shoulder pads too often. 

As he said, during the switch from TE to OT he had no practices or coaching due to COVID.  We're talking about an OT playing well with very limited coaching, just one offseason with coaches to work on his craft.  He responded well to coaching at the Senior Bowl so how he does at the combine will be telling.  He has the feet the mirror smaller faster edge rushers around the pocket.    

https://twitter.com/PFF_Mike/status/1489044617941110789?s=20&t=875pma8ocjYDZWMvlENuSw

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2953804-nfl-draft-prospects-with-the-most-at-stake-at-the-2022-combine

On 2/27/2022 at 4:20 AM, AZ54 said:

I've been saying that I think Olave goes late 1st in part because of Jameson Williams' injury but more and more often I'm seeing Williams still being taken in the 1st.  Right now it's all speculation he'll return around week 4-6 but the combine health check rumors (and disinformation) will give us a better idea.  I think you are right on someone taking him early in the 2nd especially as he'll be seen a very likely pick for Chicago.  Teams behind us will be thinking they need to get ahead of us to take him.  

The other thing pushing Olave down the board is the rise of Drake London into strong 1st Rd consideration.  

I like this exercise with mock drafts because everyone here is pulling in info from all over.  I agree we'll likely see who is on the board but early 2nd is where draft evaluations/rankings flatten out so if there is no obvious choice there he'll try to trade down.  

I'm not a fan of drafting Bell at 39.  He's a good football player but I think he's part of that group where the evaluations flatten out and you can find similar value later in the draft (Doubs/Watson/Pierce) 

Bell would be fine but better as a 3 rd pick. I tink 2nd round has to be  OL. The names you mentioned should be available  in 3rd. Not sure Bell will end up a #1 in NFL.  

17 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

He would be a good get, but I don't think he starts day one, on the other hand, Zion plug and play.

Over at GBNReport.com they have a mock with the Bears taking OT Raimann at 39 and then C Dohnovan West out of ASU at 71.  Although I had watched a bunch of ASU games this past season I never really focus on a center.  There are a few games on Youtube that I caught and West, while he's young, looks pretty solid and holds his ground well plus he can move around and get to the 2nd level or pull to the outside.  If the draft went this way it would not only mean we let Daniel's leave in FA but also using that money elsewhere.   If we bypass Daniels we can get some good help at WR and CB in FA.   

In this scenario I wouldn't mind bringing back Peters for 1yr to mentor both young OTs.  Peters could even start at the beginning of the season while Raimann gets settled in.  All things considered, at his age and coming out of a fishing boat with no practice to speak of, he was impressive.  Not to say he played great, and he's not what he used to be, but how many people are there on the planet who can pull that off at 39 years old?   

Going Oline with our first 2 picks has been talked about before and this one definitely gave me a little different perspective.  FA starts Mar 14th with talks, contracts on 16 Mar.  Poles won't get everyone he wants in FA but it'll be interesting to see which direction he chooses at the start.  

Zion Johnson played OC at the senior Bowl. Lot of scouts thinks that is his best spot.  At pick 71  , there would be OT choices, Darian Kinnard, or Tyler Smith, maybe Nicolas Petit-Frere. Going both oline, center and tackle would not bother me a bit. If the OT needs some growing, bringing back Peters for one year would work. Also in the 5th Alex Linstrom/OC from BC could still be there. Other late OCs, Nick Ford, Luke Fortner, Ben Brown.

4 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Over at GBNReport.com they have a mock with the Bears taking OT Raimann at 39 and then C Dohnovan West out of ASU at 71.  Although I had watched a bunch of ASU games this past season I never really focus on a center.  There are a few games on Youtube that I caught and West, while he's young, looks pretty solid and holds his ground well plus he can move around and get to the 2nd level or pull to the outside.  If the draft went this way it would not only mean we let Daniel's leave in FA but also using that money elsewhere.   If we bypass Daniels we can get some good help at WR and CB in FA.   

Why would a scenario drafting an OT and C mean Daniels is gone?  We only have three OL under contract and Daniels is better than all of them.  I like that draft with keeping Daniels. That being said, Peters would still be needed to ensure stability and to be a mentor.