Mock Drafts

adam

5 hours ago, adam said:

WRs that will be gone by 39: Wilson, London, Williams, Olave, Burks

Give me your top 3 from the following WRs as you would select them if available (NFL.com rating):

Christian Watson - 6.27 (6'4" - 4.36 40) 
Jahan Dotson - 6.25 (5'11" - 4.43 40) 
Skyy Moore - 6.24 (5'10" - 4.41 40) 
George Pickens - 6.23 (6'3" - 4.47 40) 
Jalen Tobert - 6.21 (6'1" - 4.49 40)
John Metchie - 6.18 (5'11" - INJ)
Alec Pierce - 6.16 (6'3" - 4.41 40)
Calvin Austin - 6.00 (5'8" - 4.32 40)
Tyquan Thompson - 5.97 (6'2" - 4.28) 
David Bell - 5.95 (6'1' - 4.65 40)

I would probably go Watson, Pickens, Pierce. All 3 are 6'3" or 6'4" and would create some mismatches with smaller DBs. Pierce is 211 lbs, Watson is 208 and Pickens is the lightest at 195. 

I really want a bigger WR to go along with Mooney.  

This is tough and I think Poles makes it simple by taking Oline at 39 and Pierce at  48 or 71 if there😆. 

My wishful thinking:

A: Christian Watson -  most gifted with athleticism for  his size.  Would be a weapon not only for getting deep against single coverage, but running jet sweeps or end around and even kickoffs.  Having a QB that can run like Fields would make a fake jet sweep deadly. 

B. George Pickens - I think he progresses quicker as a WR and puts up solid numbers year after year as long as he stays healthy.  His ability matches Dallas WR Michael Gallup.  Pickens would be a solid X receiver.

C. Alec Pierce - I like everything I see from him but question why he is slated between rounds 2-3.  If we can get him round 3, I would ne amazed at out GMs skill. That means he gets OL, DT, or CBs in RD2. 

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Couldn't figure out where to stick this but the Bears have camp starting today and Borom is at LT and Jenkins is at RT.

I read they were flipping them side to side early on to get a personal evaluation on what they see.  Maybe both play on the Right side and the draft Raimann or Tyler Smith for LT? 

They may get a shot and if Smith is there they cannot miss out on him

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I read they were flipping them side to side early on to get a personal evaluation on what they see.  Maybe both play on the Right side and the draft Raimann or Tyler Smith for LT? 

I didn't see that but probably smart for them to evaluate where they think they will end up. If Boron can play both sides, would be a perfect swing tackle. Or a starter depending where they end up. Heard Mustipher was at RG. Probably easier to find a plug and play at RG than at LT. 

5 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I don't think either Raimann or Smith are ready to start at LT as a rookie.  For Raimann we have to keep this in mind and that's based on a lot of NFL history or data points if you prefer.   I'm not saying he'll never develop into that technician like Slater but there is nothing I've read about his game that says he has those skills today.  

https://trenchwarfare.substack.com/p/ol-scouting-notebook-2022-nfl-combine?s=r

• Central Michigan T Bernhard Raimann - Raimann’s arm length came in at 33 inches at the Senior Bowl and 32 7/8 at the Combine. Left tackle Rashawn Slater measured in at 33 inches at the Combine last year and was a Second Team All-Pro as a rookie in 2021, but Slater is also an exceptional case and an absolute technician. The reality is that having 33 inch arms and under at tackle is a rarity and an obstacle to overcome rather than an asset for Raimann.

Smith has poor technique and simply being the bully on the field can work against lesser competition like he faced at Tulsa but it will get him beat often in the NFL.  He at least has the physical tools to develop into a LT but IMO he's best served starting out on the interior until he gets his technique down, or he's going to ride the bench for a year while he learns.  We have too many holes to fill to park one of our top 3 players on the bench for a year.  If we don't feel they can play inside then I'd pick someone for any other position with a higher floor.  

IMO if the team feels either can play well inside then go ahead and draft them, we need help inside.  We can survive with Borom and Jenkins as our OTs and there is still the option of a FA LT as a stopgap.  If they develop into LT then we take it off our list next year.  I just don't think I'm prepared to bank on that in 2022.

4 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I don't think either Raimann or Smith are ready to start at LT as a rookie.  For Raimann we have to keep this in mind and that's based on a lot of NFL history or data points if you prefer.   I'm not saying he'll never develop into that technician like Slater but there is nothing I've read about his game that says he has those skills today.  

• Central Michigan T Bernhard Raimann - Raimann’s arm length came in at 33 inches at the Senior Bowl and 32 7/8 at the Combine. Left tackle Rashawn Slater measured in at 33 inches at the Combine last year and was a Second Team All-Pro as a rookie in 2021, but Slater is also an exceptional case and an absolute technician. The reality is that having 33 inch arms and under at tackle is a rarity and an obstacle to overcome rather than an asset for Raimann.

Smith has poor technique and simply being the bully on the field can work against lesser competition like he faced at Tulsa but it will get him beat often in the NFL.  He at least has the physical tools to develop into a LT but IMO he's best served starting out on the interior until he gets his technique down, or he's going to ride the bench for a year while he learns.  We have too many holes to fill to park one of our top 3 players on the bench for a year.  If we don't feel they can play inside then I'd pick someone for any other position with a higher floor.  

IMO if the team feels either can play well inside then go ahead and draft them, we need help inside.  We can survive with Borom and Jenkins as our OTs and there is still the option of a FA LT as a stopgap.  If they develop into LT then we take it off our list next year.  I just don't think I'm prepared to bank on that in 2022.

I agree 100% and that's why I still very much want Brown or Fisher. 

This year is supposed to be all about Fields. You can add all the wide receivers you want, but if you plan to throw out an unfinished rookie prospect at LT, he's gonna have issues. 

6 hours ago, AZ54 said:

If we don't feel they can play inside then I'd pick someone for any other position with a higher floor.  

Good points.  I think Raimann is an all pro guard prospect.  He doesn't have near the experience of Rashawn Slater to be the technician he needs to be at LT.  As for Smith, he has every tool in the box to be an above average LT by year two. (He IS the one I want)  I don't think he'll be there when we draft though.  He is super young for his position and probably had the most upside of any player in the draft.

It may be worth noting that Poles comes from KC where Pringle at 6'1" was their tallest WR. If they do decide to go WR early and they have someone like Skyy Moore rates higher than the taller guys, they should grab him. 

As someone who is beating the drum for Mooney/Pringle, my hopes for the draft is they already have a deal in place for Brown/Fisher, so they go DL and OG in round 2 then in round 3 you take the best WR available......at the very least that should be a guy like Tyquan Thornton. 

8 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Foe sure I don't those two would start first year at OT, but possible if they slide Smith to RG, A chance to play earlier in his career.

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

It may be worth noting that Poles comes from KC where Pringle at 6'1" was their tallest WR. If they do decide to go WR early and they have someone like Skyy Moore rates higher than the taller guys, they should grab him. 

As someone who is beating the drum for Mooney/Pringle, my hopes for the draft is they already have a deal in place for Brown/Fisher, so they go DL and OG in round 2 then in round 3 you take the best WR available......at the very least that should be a guy like Tyquan Thornton. 

Dane Buglers ranking has Alec Pierce ranked  at 89 on his big board, Skyy Moore is ranked 39. Thornton is projected to late 4 or early 5. Pierce may be there at 71.

12 hours ago, scs787 said:

I agree 100% and that's why I still very much want Brown or Fisher. 

This year is supposed to be all about Fields. You can add all the wide receivers you want, but if you plan to throw out an unfinished rookie prospect at LT, he's gonna have issues. 

Getting a long term LT is the most important key to building around Fields. It may be Jenkins, Borum, a draftee, or a vet from FA/trade.  If they take Smith and they think he is best fit at LT, then I hope they are good at their jobs and decided right.  If the Bears do not grow with a prospect, they will never develop one.  I hope they have one in Jenkins or Borum and if not I hope someone like Smith can grow up fast with NFL coaching.  I wouldn't expect much out of the Bears next year.  Hopefully run the ball often and get Fields  playing quicker.

2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I wouldn't object to Walker.

I seen an interview with Brandon Thorn and he said other than the first round OTs drafted that it will be hard to find a player that will start day one. Now there will be a surprise starter somewhere but overall most will need some development before they start. That's more of what normally happens. Maybe we get lucky and find that gem. Hopefully Borom shows growth or Fisher and Brown are still available later after the draft assessment.

27 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I seen an interview with Brandon Thorn and he said other than the first round OTs drafted that it will be hard to find a player that will start day one. Now there will be a surprise starter somewhere but overall most will need some development before they start. That's more of what normally happens. Maybe we get lucky and find that gem. Hopefully Borom shows growth or Fisher and Brown are still available later after the draft assessment.

I'm ok with the late round developmental strategy at LT versus reaching for one.  In Rd 2 it's very likely we can draft a good starting OG, and maybe even Linderbaum falls to 39.  If he doesn't, it just makes it more likely one of the OGs does.  The only thing Poles has to watch for is that after losing out on a couple upgrades the entire league knows he wants Oline players and that makes us an obvious target to trade ahead of should someone drop.  You can say we need/want WRs too but the fact remains Poles was more willing to commit cap space to fix the Oline than he was for WR.  I think that priority carries forward into the draft.  

35 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I'm ok with the late round developmental strategy at LT versus reaching for one.  In Rd 2 it's very likely we can draft a good starting OG, and maybe even Linderbaum falls to 39.  If he doesn't, it just makes it more likely one of the OGs does.  The only thing Poles has to watch for is that after losing out on a couple upgrades the entire league knows he wants Oline players and that makes us an obvious target to trade ahead of should someone drop.  You can say we need/want WRs too but the fact remains Poles was more willing to commit cap space to fix the Oline than he was for WR.  I think that priority carries forward into the draft.  

I think he drafts a starting type OG at 39 and a 5 th round development player at  OT. Example- Zachary Thomas/SDS, long arms, big hands, 4.93 40 time. Odds are slim that Johnson, linderbaum or Green drops , but Tyler Smith, Darian Kinnard or Nicolas Petit- Frere should be there. I think the possibility exists he takes a WR at 39 and gets a OG at 48 or 71. Jameree Salyer or Cole Strange are a few examples.

Another thought is they draft a OT /B Raimann and play him OG for a year before moving him.Bring in Duane Brown for a year and Borom is our swing tackle. 

I'm very interested to see what option Poles takes. I take him to be a smart man especially when talking OL.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-draft-2022-superlatives-prospect-wholl-instantly-live-up-to-the-hype-qb-wholl-go-too-early-and-more/amp/

A little love for Logan Hall who I sometimes feel a little yucky about taking at 39 because he always seems so reachy with more players ahead of him. I really like Hall a lot and I think he's gonna be really really talented.  I could def see him go in the 1st and would be really happy with him at 39.

Danny Gray is now a guy I have my eye on as well. If they can get him in the 5th I'd be really happy. While I don't necessarily think the bears need to draft 2 WR, a guy like Gray who could be a return man early and maybe develop into a weapon in the pass game is intriguing.  

My first Mock had us taking:                                                                                                         Now I'm thinking:

39. Perrion Winfrey DT Oklahoma                                                                                                Tyler Smith OT Tulsa watched him on tape and think he has the nasty Poles is looking for.

48. Christian Watson WR North Dakota State                                                                             Christian Watson North Dakota State I still like his upside

71.George Pickens WR Georgia                                                                                                     George Pickens WR Georgia  I think he will be fully recovered from his injury

148. Thayer Mumford OG Ohio State                                                                                             Thayer Mumford OG Ohio State we currently have Sam Mustipher lined up at ROG

150. Matt Hankins CB Iowa                                                                                                              Matt Hankins CB Iowa Would loved to have picked a CB earlier but, I still like this choice here.

186. Rasheed Walker OT Penn State                                                                                              Rasheed Walker OT Penn State A staple of this franchise has been a late round OT pick.

I'm lacking a 3 tech in this mock and I'm still believing they are looking to add some one. 

57 minutes ago, lemonej said:

My first Mock had us taking:                                                                                                         Now I'm thinking:

39. Perrion Winfrey DT Oklahoma                                                                                                Tyler Smith OT Tulsa watched him on tape and think he has the nasty Poles is looking for.

48. Christian Watson WR North Dakota State                                                                             Christian Watson North Dakota State I still like his upside

71.George Pickens WR Georgia                                                                                                     George Pickens WR Georgia  I think he will be fully recovered from his injury

148. Thayer Mumford OG Ohio State                                                                                             Thayer Mumford OG Ohio State we currently have Sam Mustipher lined up at ROG

150. Matt Hankins CB Iowa                                                                                                              Matt Hankins CB Iowa Would loved to have picked a CB earlier but, I still like this choice here.

186. Rasheed Walker OT Penn State                                                                                              Rasheed Walker OT Penn State A staple of this franchise has been a late round OT pick.

I'm lacking a 3 tech in this mock and I'm still believing they are looking to add some one. 

Unfortunately there's a good chance all 3 of your first 3 picks MIGHT go in the 1st.

I'd be surprised if Watson and/or Pickens are there at 39 let alone 48/71.

I still just don't know what to think about Smith. I'd be fine with the pick but he's got the potential to really frustrate. 

I'm all in on adding 2 WRs and 2 OL in the draft. Poles will get an extra couple of picks to make that more realistic. Another day 3 WR Danny Grey seems to be a player Bears like, two meetings. Seems like a clone of Mooney but faster. It's only been in the last week but think DT could be our first pick. Many more options at OL and WR at our other picks. Didn't like that thought before, but it's growing on me. Logan Hall would be a good pick. Can play at 3T or DE and fit the Flus concept.

39 Hall.  48 Kinnard.  71 Piece

Since a video in Darien Kinnard and he just mauls people and the Kruetz demeanor.

8 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I'm all in on adding 2 WRs and 2 OL in the draft. Poles will get an extra couple of picks to make that more realistic. Another day 3 WR Danny Grey seems to be a player Bears like, two meetings. Seems like a clone of Mooney but faster. It's only been in the last week but think DT could be our first pick. Many more options at OL and WR at our other picks. Didn't like that thought before, but it's growing on me. Logan Hall would be a good pick. Can play at 3T or DE and fit the Flus concept.

39 Hall.  48 Kinnard.  71 Piece

Since a video in Darien Kinnard and he just mauls people and the Kruetz demeanor.

More sleepers. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2DARON BLAND22-nfl-draft-sleepers-prospects-weston-bland-dykes

I took a quick look at some highlights of the players on that list.  Beyond a couple DBs who might be practice squad candidates I have to say that, along with WRs like Danny Grey, Isaiah Weston absolutely should be on our radar on day 3.  He's 6'3"  214lbs with 40" vert,  135" broad jump.  While you have to carefully watch for it he's got some decent lateral movement but I don't see much in terms of route running and timing passes.  In the highlights it's clear he just ran past everyone at the FCS level and usually had to wait on the ball to arrive.  If it's upside you want as a day 3 prospect he's got it but he'll need time, good coaching, and a good work ethic.   

If we want to, there are plenty of good options to fully stock the WR room in this draft.  

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/isaiah-weston/32005745-5373-3679-5418-3d4dbbc6013e

One last try before the draft.

39. Christian Watson WR North Dakota State  I may be dreaming that he is available here.

48. Perrion Winfrey DT3T Oklahoma I believe that the DT rotation is incomplete unless they expect Edwards Jr to move inside

71. Abraham Lucas OT Washington State We must keep adding bodies to the OT position

148. Velus Jones Jr. WR Tennessee The Bears need more weapons at WR

150. Demarri Mathis CB Pittsburgh  A little late for a need but with this new scheme of Cover 2  he is a good fit

186. Leon Neal Jr S Texas A&M  Depth pick at the Safety position

22 hours ago, scs787 said:

Unfortunately there's a good chance all 3 of your first 3 picks MIGHT go in the 1st.

I'd be surprised if Watson and/or Pickens are there at 39 let alone 48/71.

I still just don't know what to think about Smith. I'd be fine with the pick but he's got the potential to really frustrate. 

I hear you but, watching tape and listening to him during an interview on GMFB and I'm convince if he is at one of the second round picks ,Poles may go for him.

25 minutes ago, lemonej said:

I hear you but, watching tape and listening to him during an interview on GMFB and I'm convince if he is at one of the second round picks ,Poles may go for him.

Loved him on GMFB.  Very insightful, intelligent, confident and a stone cold killer.  Gotta have him!