T. Jenkins

Bill

I guess we will have to see how this plays out. Hopefully he returns and balls out and this will be in the rear view. We really need him to excel because we can't keep missing on all these top picks, especially ones we traded up to get.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, adam said:

Jenkins at RT and RG, then RT with 1st team. I am glad to see him getting reps. 

Very interesting to see on his first practice back he gets some reps at RG.  As far as I know that's a first and even though it was just a few warmup reps it indicates that was a piece of the puzzle.  If he is to be a backup he needs some versatility and from there who knows where it goes.   

From watching a lot of Jenkins today, he is an OG only.  Backup players were in his chest all game.  That being said, he is a beast in the run game.  His short arms are compounded by not having great lateral agility.  At least we know.

Side note:  Braxton Jones will make the pro bowl in year 3.  He has a lot of work to do to become an average LT.  Eye test was really promising.

17 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

From watching a lot of Jenkins today, he is an OG only.  Backup players were in his chest all game.  That being said, he is a beast in the run game.  His short arms are compounded by not having great lateral agility.  At least we know.

Side note:  Braxton Jones will make the pro bowl in year 3.  He has a lot of work to do to become an average LT.  Eye test was really promising.

I agree. Schofield looked overmatched. Maybe Jenkins will be our RG.

Considering Jenkins limited time back from the injury and whatnot I didn't think he played poorly.  However, I see Mongo's point about DEs getting into his chest.  Maybe it is just the lack of arm length but It seemed to me he was constantly grabbing at players from outside their arms, instead of controlling them inside on the pads.  

39 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Maybe this will help get his head back in the game.  

That was one of the reasons I said he was a beast in the run game.  There was another stretch play to the right where he was assisting the the TE and left just a hair late to get his second level guy.  The DB beat him to the corner, but he punished him for it.  Love it.

Thought this was interesting given all of our hand wringing over Jenkins.  They gave Karlaftis a B+ for his performance.  You also know they don't really care about your team when they completely ignore what Brisker did on the field.  I'm not terribly worried if he got Braxton on his heels early on.  He's a different type of pass rusher than anyone we have on the roster and he just has to learn how to deal with that.  

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-preseason-week-1-rookie-grades-lions-aidan-hutchinson-aces-test

The second of the Chiefs' two first-round picks this spring did not disappoint in his initial action with the team. Karlaftis locked out his arms to get leverage, punched with heavy hands and shed blockers when playing the run. He pushed the left tackle into the backfield on one snap and was using arm-over and push-pull moves with strong hands to win as a pass rusher. The former Purdue star chased Bears quarterback Justin Fields to the sideline on a scramble and later sacked backup Trevor Siemian. Karlaftis is not going to win with elite speed and bend off the edge, though he was able to get the corner at times by powering through the outside shoulder of a blocker. Fields scrambled in the rookie's direction for a 10-yard gain when he was unable to get off a block, and he was stuffed off the snap at times by second-year tackle Teven Jenkins. Regardless, Karlaftis' strength, relentless motor and hand usage outside will make him an excellent three-down end not only as a rookie, but for years to come.

I'm sorry fellas, but Brandon Thorn is a hack.  I don't think he's ever played football.  Also, he writes articles calling himself a guru.  Any credential or accolade he has ever recieved has come from himself or some internet website he has started or worked for.  We all saw Jenkins playing well in the run game. The lone pass pro highlight was the only one in which Jenkins looked like he was remotely average.  Just sayin, be careful what you read and watch.  There's a lot of guys out there trying to make a living.

I wonder if maybe he had a little trouble accepting he wouldn't play OT, and they have been trying to ease him into OG mentally for the past few weeks. Maybe that had something to do with everything that happened?

At any rate, I agree with you Mongo, he should be a beast at RG. Hopefully he stays healthy there.

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I wonder if maybe he had a little trouble accepting he wouldn't play OT, and they have been trying to ease him into OG mentally for the past few weeks. Maybe that had something to do with everything that happened?

At any rate, I agree with you Mongo, he should be a beast at RG. Hopefully he stays healthy there.

or the perceived demotion at OT.

Either way, it would be a pleasant surprise to have him plugging the gap as the RG. A line of Jones-Whitehair-Patrick-Jenkins-Reiff/Borom should be very solid and seems like it would only get better with time. The loser of Reiff/Borom becomes the Swing Tackle, and Schoefield becomes the swing OG per se. Mustipher can be the backup C, and 2nd OG. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

or the perceived demotion at OT.

yup thats what I mean :) He might have said "Im an OT dammit, if you dont want me trade me!" and they might have said "calm down and think a minute"

If Jenkins has a nasty attitude that isnt all bad. If he takes it out on the defenders, Im all for it!