Week 5 Vikings Official Game Thread - SUN 12pm CT

AZ54

Sorry Adam, I've been waiting but we gotta get this in gear.  

I don't expect much with Whitehair and Montgomery out this week.  Things will only be tougher on Fields in the passing game and without Montgomery this week we'll struggle again to get the tough yards (3rd and short) where Herbert struggles.   

However the Vikings, despite being 3-1, are bottom third in both pass and run defense so they don't appear to be as good as they were in years past.  They are also going through a transition to a new scheme under our former coach Ed Donatell.  Just like us there are likely some growing pains.      

On offense they are 21st in rushing yards, but 12th in passing yards.   That tends to play into our strength as a passing defense but we'll likely be missing Jaylon Johnson again this week since he didn't practice today.  Jaylon is the perfect antidote to a WR like Justin Jefferson because he's consistent in his technique and you want to get Jefferson's head out of the game if at all possible.  He's already shown this year some tendencies to break off his routes if he doesn't win early.  

The only way I can see us winning is if we have a few surprise big plays.  

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No worries, I have been super busy with work this week. 

Cousins has not been as good as he was in previous years thru 4 games. Probably due to the offensive changes. 6 TD to 4 INT is very unlike him. In the last 3 seasons, his TD to INT is 94-26. His Y/A is a yard lower but they are throwing more.

Justin Jefferson vs Vildor or Gordon? He may break the single game record for receptions, yds, and TDs in this one.

This team is so weird. You have Cousins, Cook, Jefferson, Theilen, Osborn, Smith, and Mattison as your top skill guys, yet you are middle of the road on offense?

Then on defense, they give up a lot of yards. Even though they are 2-1 in their last 3, their score differential in those game is -10. They scored a last minute TD to beat the Lions and needed a missed FG to beat the Saints. So they are probably not that good, but still a lot better than the Bears.

I always felt the Bears would split with MIN and DET, home and away. So this one is still should be a loss.

I hope our offense can generate some TDs, the defense can play better against the run and tackle some people. I fear that there will be so much attention on Jefferson that Cook and Thielen will have big games. 

The odds are the game will be Viqueens 28-20, however, I will go Bears 27-24 with a Santos game winner after a Cousins INT late to Gordon.

My goals for the Bears by units:

1. Fields over 25 passing attempts, 225 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 3 or less sacks, doesn't get hit while sliding (put your head down dude).

2. Kmet and Mooney both at least have 3 catches each, one has over 5.

3. Blasingame gets targeted in the passing game at least twice (wheel route?) - anytime TD?

4. Jenkins plays the entire game and pancakes at least 3 Vikes (Harrison Smith plz).

1. Cook doesn't go over 100 yards rushing, the defense tackles better and has better gap integrity and contain.

2. Jefferson doesn't go over 150 yards, and the Safeties prevent any 50+ yard plays.

3. Gordon "looks" better and is not always trailing his guy by 2-3 yds, gets 2 PBUs.

4. The Edge guys get some sacks, Quinn, Muhammad (who has looked terrible), Gipson, and Robinson.

1. Gill has less than 6 punts, but still averages 45+ net and several inside the 20.

2. Velus doesn't muff a punt/kick.

3. KRs don't return the ball out from the end zone if they are going to get tackled at the 18. 

1. Getsy calls a more aggressive game with more quicker developing plays to get Fields and the passing game going.

2. Williams/Flus attack the LOS against the run and pass to stop Cook and pressure Cousins. Don't coach not to lose > see Giants game.

3. Start the game fast, go uptempo without substitutions. Need a TD on that first drive.

• adam changed the title to Week 5 Vikings Official Game Thread - SUN 12pm CT

I think for the offense to click (better), they need to get a better oline out there.  Does it involve moving Patrick to Center?  Maybe.  If he does then who at guard?  Why do we have players like Schofield and Reiff if they’re not going to be used?  I get we need the younger players to develop but at the expense of the QB getting clobbered on every other play?  

Will V Jones play (other than muffing punts)?   Will we see Harry play? I’m hoping either of these two (or both) are able to help the offense in some way.  

And I’m afraid now is the time to get what you can for Quinn.  He’s been a non-factor since week one.  Love the guy but without a player like Mack opposite him I think this is the best we’re gonna get. 

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I think for the offense to click (better), they need to get a better oline out there.  Does it involve moving Patrick to Center?  Maybe.  If he does then who at guard?  Why do we have players like Schofield and Reiff if they’re not going to be used?  I get we need the younger players to develop but at the expense of the QB getting clobbered on every other play?  

Will V Jones play (other than muffing punts)?   Will we see Harry play? I’m hoping either of these two (or both) are able to help the offense in some way.  

And I’m afraid now is the time to get what you can for Quinn.  He’s been a non-factor since week one.  Love the guy but without a player like Mack opposite him I think this is the best we’re gonna get. 

Yeah we need to move Quinn now. Mack is tearing it up in LA like 2018 and Quinn looks like 2020 Quinn. 

He is so weird, he has one big year followed by a lower year, followed by a higher year, rinse repeat. Check out his sack numbers, it looks like 2 different players:

Odd year sack total (13-21): 62.5 (69 games)

Even year sack total (12-20): 33.5 (72 games)

This is an even year where he averages less than half a sack a game, max 8 sacks, and on pace for 4.5. 

Note - Quinn has more sacks in 2013+2021 (38) than in his 5 even season years (33.5) and maybe even this year if he only gets 4.5.

Schoefield or Reiff are better than Mustipher. I have no idea what they are doing. Mustipher has enough tape as a bad starter, serviceable backup. 

39 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

There's no-one else to fear, so shut him down and that's good enough.

That's true but they aren't even doing that. They just let the OT take care of him. He is literally running into the OT on every play. I am not seeing his speed and bend. 

This is intriguing.  

If you don’t have Twitter.  It’s a screen shot of the Bears starting oline for this weekend.  Has Patrick at Center and rookie Ja’Tyre Carter at LG.  Others are saying that ESPN is a bit premature to “predict the starting oline”. However it makes some sense.  Guess we’ll see.  And I read that Montgomery was at practice today.  

The Bears official site has the depth chart as :

LT    Jones
LG   
Whitehair
C      Patrick
RG
    Jenkins
RT    Borom

and they have Carter as the 2nd string LG.

I'm assuming that hasn't changed in weeks. Clearly not since Whitehair went on IR.

It is possible the ESPN computer just bumped Carter up because Whitehair is on IR?

If so, there is really no information there. Intriguing tho.

Which is better?

a) Patrick at LG and Mustipher at C

b) Patrick at LG and Eislen at C

c) Patrick at C and Carter at LG

d) Patrick at C and someone else at LG

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

LT    Jones
LG   
Whitehair
C      Patrick
RG
    Jenkins
RT    Borom

and they have Carter as the 2nd string LG.

I'm assuming that hasn't changed in weeks. Clearly not since Whitehair went on IR.

It is possible the ESPN computer just bumped Carter up because Whitehair is on IR?

Which is better?

Any lineup without Mustipher is better as long as Patrick is at C. So C or D. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

so youre not an Eislen fan?

I mean, I want to be, but I dont see him in practice. I assume that the staff knows what they have in him, and they arent using him for a reason. So you're probably right.

But the fan in me, the one who always thinks the second strong QB might be our savior, also wants to see Eislen. LOL

Eberflus on Mon:  We will have Patrick at LG with Whitehair out.

Today reporter asks him what changed now that Getsy said we're trying out different combinations.

Eberflus on Fri:  "Nothing changed."  Then he ran on about always having competition etc. and tossed in a quick Freudian slip about wanting Patrick at Center.  He doesn't like to disclose anything he feels can give us an advantage especially personnel changes but this change seems like a done deal.   

On 10/6/2022 at 4:17 PM, BearFan PHX said:

LT    Jones
LG   
Whitehair
C      Patrick
RG
    Jenkins
RT    Borom

and they have You have try something else, Mustifer at OC  as the 2nd string LG.

Which is better?

C,  you have to try something else because Mustifer  isn't working. 

13 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Eberflus on Mon:  We will have Patrick at LG with Whitehair out.

Today reporter asks him what changed now that Getsy said we're trying out different combinations.

Eberflus on Fri:  "Nothing changed."  Then he ran on about always having competition etc. and tossed in a quick Freudian slip about wanting Patrick at Center.  He doesn't like to disclose anything he feels can give us an advantage especially personnel changes but this change seems like a done deal.   

Why tell your opponents where your oline weakness is going to be. Harrison Phillips is the starting NT and he's not big or over powering. Watching tape, Vikings will be blitzing up the middle, we need to move the pocket to limit their blitzing. Their defense isn't very good, so hopefully the game plan exploits them.

On 10/6/2022 at 6:58 PM, adam said:

Amen on that.  He doesn't know how to switch and is causing too much pressure up the middle.  Patrick has to move to center ASAP to see if he still can play, as he has been backpedaling a lot at RG.

9 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Why tell your opponents where your oline weakness is going to be. Harrison Phillips is the starting NT and he's not big or over powering. Watching tape, Vikings will be blitzing up the middle, we need to move the pocket to limit their blitzing. Their defense isn't very good, so hopefully the game plan exploits them.

I didn't say or even imply that he should tell them.  In this case it's more why tell them your taking your biggest weakness off the field? 

Bears beat writers always complain when coaches arent transparent with them, but most of the time, less information is better. Efus early week statements  have changed later in the week, but still may have Mustifer in the game. I would have to say, its probably because of a lack of trust with the backups. Hopefully, Sam is sitting on the bench.

18 minutes ago, McGowan said:

You can't miss Mooney there. 

He was wide open for the TD. 

It's Fields, he ain't it. How much more do we have to see? Any other QB would be replaced at this point. He is not learning as a starter. He needs more time in the oven and time to practice fundamentals. 

11 minutes ago, adam said:

It's Fields, he ain't it. How much more do we have to see? Any other QB would be replaced at this point. He is not learning as a starter. He needs more time in the oven and time to practice fundamentals. 

The play calling (aka coaching) is also failing him.  Both offensive starts we’re shit.  The first one missing a player in the formation and the second was Mustipher hiking to Fields who wasn’t ready.  There’s A LOT more going on than just Justin having a hard time learning to be a pro.  

And the D has been absolutely pitiful.  There’s plenty of blame to go around.