I Don't Want to Start a Riot...

Mongo3451

49 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

...but CJ Stroud is a better passer than Justin Fields...

Stroud looks a lot like Fields did at Ohio State. In some ways it looks like Fields regressed since then. The one alarming fact for me is what Fields college WRs did this year in the NFL with crap QB play:

Olave 72-1042, 4 TD (15 games)
Wilson 83-1103, 4 YD

If those WRs did that as rookies with terrible QB play, it would seem like they were making Fields look better than Fields was making them look.  That is somewhat concerning for me when you are projecting players (who helped who).

If you use QBR and EPA, Stoud and Young are almost identical. Then it comes down to the pieces around them and the opponents. Stroud almost beat UGA and AL conveniently didn't play them. However, Stroud played a much easier schedule overall. 

Stroud 87.7 QBR, 66.1 EPA
Young 83.7 QBR, 65.8 EPA

Fields 91.7 QBR, 52.8 EPA
Lawrence 84.0 QBR, 55.8 EPA

Will Levis scares me, QBR of 60.4 and EPA of 30.2.

However, just looking at QB stats, how the hell did Josh Allen get drafted 7th overall after playing for Wyoming, having only 1x 300 yard game (against Gardner-Webb) and threw a total of 16 TDs to 6 INTs with 1812 yards his Junior year. 56.3% comp. What did he do to get on people's radars? Senior Bowl? Combine? 

In some aspects yes.  I don’t think he’s better throwing deep, might be equivalent,  and I don’t think he’s better throwing on the run.   Stroud is pretty good when moving to his right not so sure about moving to his left.   Stroud is better in short and intermediate.   Fields has a lot of work to do on bubble screens and outlet passes.   

One thing to note about Fields college career. He has 2 of the top 13 QBR seasons of all-time.

Others within the top 13 are Mac Jones, Kyler Murray, Burrow, Tua x2, Russell Wilson, Luck, Mayfield x2, Bradford and Khalil Tate. 9 of 10 players made it to the NFL, several were Pro Bowl and All-Pro. Fields is in that group.

Collegiately speaking, Fields was better than Peyton Manning in some categories.

Fields:  428/618  68.4%  5,701 yds  9.2 Y.A 67 TD 9 INTs with 178.8 passing efficiency and a college championship appearance (two if you count he was on the 2018 Georgia team)

Manning:  863/1381 62.5%  11,201 yds  8.3 Y.A 89 TDs 33 INTs with 147.1 passing efficiency and no college championship (although he is credited with helping Tennessee make the following year).   

Another thing to consider this season is how the offense was called/ran at the start of the season and how it was called/ran the second half of the season or more notably after the bye.  We started the season barely throwing the ball and pretty much running on every down.  Hard to put up passing stats when you're rarely throwing the ball.  I feel like since the bye the offensive scheme started to cater more to Fields's strengths and towards the end of the year we saw him throwing more.   So I think it's hard to really judge based on this season's stats.  

Going back to Fields WRs, it just shows how good he can be when he actually has good players to throw to.

If you stuck Stroud or any other QB from the last few years into this situation, I don't know how much better they would have done. Burrows and Mahomes. Just think if Allen got Nagy his rookie year, then was throwing to Pettis and ESB behind the Bears O-Line in his second year. Would he take a massive leap?

2 hours ago, BearFan2000 said:

Another thing to consider this season is how the offense was called/ran at the start of the season and how it was called/ran the second half of the season or more notably after the bye.  We started the season barely throwing the ball and pretty much running on every down.  Hard to put up passing stats when you're rarely throwing the ball.  I feel like since the bye the offensive scheme started to cater more to Fields's strengths and towards the end of the year we saw him throwing more.   So I think it's hard to really judge based on this season's stats.  

I agree, they are developing Fields and more so because of the oline , it has been disrupted. Once the line is good his passing will take off. That's why I think the Oline will be improved in free agency instead of waiting for high draft picks to develop. I believe Poles does know how to build a oline. He offered more money for Brian Allen than LA but he chose to stay in LA. He made an offer for Joe Noteboom but the Rams offered more, then the Ryan Bates attempt.

Brian and Joe got injured, so hard to compare to them but had he got them, it would have been a good line.  B Jones was an outstanding get as a 5th round pick, he will get better. Moving Jenkins could turn him into an top tier RG if he can stay on the field.

3 hours ago, adam said:

Going back to Fields WRs, it just shows how good he can be when he actually has good players to throw to.

If you stuck Stroud or any other QB from the last few years into this situation, I don't know how much better they would have done. Burrows and Mahomes. Just think if Allen got Nagy his rookie year, then was throwing to Pettis and ESB behind the Bears O-Line in his second year. Would he take a massive leap?

for sure. Fields is a passer first, he just hasnt had any time at all to read the D, and no one was reliably wide open either. When people were, Fields often found them.