Monty to Lions?!!

ChileBear

4 hours ago, jason said:

Call me crazy, but I like Deuce Vaughn from Kansas State. 

Ignore all the conventional "he has to be whatever-feet tall"-nonsense. His height is an advantage if anything considering how he runs.

Dismiss the "he doesn't work in goal line"-BS. Deuce is an absolute monster and a three-down back. As long as the coaches aren't morons and don't try to slam him through the A-Gap three times in a row (**cough** memories of Garrett Wolfe mismanagement **cough**), then he's fine in GL situations because nobody hits him cleanly.

What's more - I know this is blasphemous before I write it - he gives me Barry Sanders vibes. He's a 2-3 inches shorter, 20lbs lighter, but every bit as elusive. Some of the cuts are absolutely ridiculous. Makes elite defenders miss in a phone booth. And his perceived lack of home run speed never seems to cost him when he's running away from defenders who think they have the angle.

I'd target him with our first pick in the 4th round. 

With all the needs, especially in the trenches, I can't see going for gadget guys until at least the 5th. 

Being the shortest player ever at the combine scares me. Sproles was 5'6" but 190 lbs, Boston Scott is 5'6" but over 200 lbs. Vaughn is mid-170s.

On 3/15/2023 at 11:29 AM, Lucky Luciano said:

here is the deal.... we had NO offensive line. we had NO passing game that ANYONE was afraid of. monty was lining up mostly with a stacked 8+ in the box defense that KNEW all they had to do was stop the running game.

i'm sorry but in my opinion he was worth WAY more than a mere $6mil to this team. now we have yet ANOTHER hole to fill and will either have to pay more than monty got or hope a draft pick can do half the stuff he did.

He was low end ypc guy in college too.  He made his bones on yards after contact.  IMO, Monty runs his ass off, but lacks vision and burst.  Then, there's his fatal flaw, the jump cut.

13 hours ago, jason said:

Ignore all the conventional "he has to be whatever-feet tall"-nonsense. His height is an advantage if anything considering how he runs.

Dismiss the "he doesn't work in goal line"-BS. Deuce is an absolute monster and a three-down back. As long as the coaches aren't morons and don't try to slam him through the A-Gap three times in a row (**cough** memories of Garrett Wolfe mismanagement **cough**), then he's fine in GL situations because nobody hits him cleanly.

What's more - I know this is blasphemous before I write it - he gives me Barry Sanders vibes. He's a 2-3 inches shorter, 20lbs lighter, but every bit as elusive. Some of the cuts are absolutely ridiculous. Makes elite defenders miss in a phone booth. And his perceived lack of home run speed never seems to cost him when he's running away from defenders who think they have the angle.

Keaton Mitchell from East Carolina is another guy who might fit the bill. 

Swift Sports Network just released a video that makes a convincing argument that a)Herbert is a superior RB to Monty & b) Poles has significantly improved our RB room with the addition of the two new RBs. Good statistical breakdown for anyone interested.

17 hours ago, jason said:

Been saying the same for the last month.  He has better long speed that Tarik Cohen, better jump cuts and quickness.   Though he is short at 5'5" he is strong for his size at 179lbs.  Chasing him is like chasing a jack rabbit.  I'd bring him in and put Ebner to the practice squad in a heartbeat.   

"Vaughn’s father, Chris, is the assistant director of college scouting for the Dallas Cowboys"

12 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Been saying the same for the last month.  He has better long speed that Tarik Cohen, better jump cuts and quickness.   Though he is short at 5'5" he is strong for his size at 179lbs.  Chasing him is like chasing a jack rabbit.  I'd bring him in and put Ebner to the practice squad in a heartbeat.   

"Vaughn’s father, Chris, is the assistant director of college scouting for the Dallas Cowboys"

That's a late round pick to boot.

• 2 weeks later...

Unless they get a high round pick RB that would start on the team( Robinson, Gibbs), what do they need to add as a compliment back? Speed? Power? 

I think a Duece Vaughn would e a perfect change of pace back. Devon Archane and Kevin Mitchell would also give you the speed.

Foreman is going to be the power back, with every down potential.

Herbert is the one cut and go guy with decent speed, 4.46. 

Homer is strictly a role player on passing downs.

Duece Vaughn would fit in perfect and could give you lots of reps if someone got hurt.

If you want a speed guy Devin Achane is local man. 4.32 speed. Good tape to.

7 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Unless they get a high round pick RB that would start on the team( Robinson, Gibbs), what do they need to add as a compliment back? Speed? Power? 

I think a Duece Vaughn would e a perfect change of pace back. Devon Archane and Kevin Mitchell would also give you the speed.

Foreman is going to be the power back, with every down potential.

Herbert is the one cut and go guy with decent speed, 4.46. 

Homer is strictly a role player on passing downs.

Duece Vaughn would fit in perfect and could give you lots of reps if someone got hurt.

If you want a speed guy Devin Achane is local man. 4.32 speed. Good tape to.

I want a speed guy. I don’t know that I want to draft a RB early enough for Achane, but a day three pick on one of Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn, or Keaton Mitchell would be good with me.