Bears Sign D'onta Foreman and Robert Tonyan

adam

23 minutes ago, adam said:

Hmmmm

2022 Rushing Stats:

Montgomery 201-801 yds, 4.0 YPC, 5 TD
Foreman 203-914 yds, 4.5 YPC, 5 TD

Tonyan an upgrade over any of the Bears backup TEs last year. Foreman a huge upgrade over Evans. 

Tonyan also gives the Bears a better move TE.   He will compliment Kmet who is inline. 

So Poles go Foreman and Tonyan for less than Monty. That is a pretty good deal. 

Same for LB, he basically got Edmunds, Edwards, and a 2nd rounder for a few million more than just Roquan. That is impressive.

Now he needs to address the trenches. He can't go two years without getting some dudes in there. 

It'll happen.  That's about all that is left to do before we start backfilling and improving other spots like FS, or improving depth.  He tried to close the RT gap with McGlinchey and the price got too high so he went with the backup plan and improved the LG position (and maybe Center if Whitehair works out).   That Center bet has to be hedged with a rookie.  

If RT in FA had worked out he'd be in a much better spot to fill the depth inside the Oline in Rd 2/3 and go defense early.  That kinda forces his hand early towards RT.  However, unlike last year we don't need 10 players we need 4-5 good ones to get this roster competitive so I think there will be movement up in the draft as he goes after his targets, especially on day 3.  You can package 133 and 138 to move up to 108.    Six picks in the top 108 should help build depth and you might catch a second 3rd Rd talent who fell into the 4th Rd (the first one being at 103).  Then if he still wants to add more bodies he can trade back from 148 to around 165 and maybe get a late 6th Rd pick in exchange.  

I think we need to put more talent on the DL. We could roll with what we have on the OL, and RT wouldnt be a strength, but if we dont generate pass rush, all the coverage in the world isnt gonna help. If we put someone on the DL that can get consistent pressure, this team is a winner. If we put it at RT, we will perform better on offense, but lose more high scoring games.

Poles will surely address both, but as for the 9th pick, i think it has to go to the DL. If you have a great 3T on your list, you gotta take him. And Ill be thrilled if it isn't Carter, and our scouts fell in love with someone else at 3T.

But if the DT value isnt there, and you cant trade down, the RT from Northwestern sure does look good. I would love both, but we gotta look at 3T.

23 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I think we need to put more talent on the DL. We could roll with what we have on the OL, and RT wouldnt be a strength, but if we dont generate pass rush, all the coverage in the world isnt gonna help. If we put someone on the DL that can get consistent pressure, this team is a winner. If we put it at RT, we will perform better on offense, but lose more high scoring games.

Poles will surely address both, but as for the 9th pick, i think it has to go to the DL. If you have a great 3T on your list, you gotta take him. And Ill be thrilled if it isn't Carter, and our scouts fell in love with someone else at 3T.

But if the DT value isnt there, and you cant trade down, the RT from Northwestern sure does look good. I would love both, but we gotta look at 3T.

There's a few guys out there that are listed at edge that scouts are predicting will be 3techs.  It may be a couple of obscure guys.

23 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

There's a few guys out there that are listed at edge that scouts are predicting will be 3techs.  It may be a couple of obscure guys.

True, and it makes it difficult for fans like us to see the pool because the mock draft sites may only list the player as an edge/de/olb. The Bears D uses the DE more so to contain rather than attack.  The attack comes from 3T.  We are about 1 month away from draft day.  

You can win games without an elite pass rusher.  You can't win them without Justin Fields.  That leaves Paris Johnson Jr. as the pick for me.  However he has some concerns.  If they feel there is a DT/DE talent too good to pass up and I think those would only be Wilson or Carter.    

I just can't figure out what a stop gap solution would be at RT this year if we don't grab one early.  The more I read about the OTs I think there are two that can fit our scheme:  Paris Johnson Jr. and Anton Harrison.  

I think they take the best DL available, Wilson, Murphy, Bresee, or maybe Van Ness. Poles thinks he's a OL expert. He found Jones in the fifth, so he's going to find a plum between 54-65. That area will find you choices of Cody Mauch, Mathew Bergeron, Jaelyn Duncan, or Wayan Morris. I don't know who is better but Poles does. I seen mentioned that Duncan and Morris fits the system.The only wildcard will be picking the top CB in the draft at 9. 

24 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Mauch looks like a beast. I trust Poles' evaluations are better than mine. :) But if he likes Mauch too, I'm gonna be thrilled.

Yes and yes. Him and Jenkins on the Right side gives you a nasty disposition.

I've been watching a lot of tape on Donte Foreman and he is a good RB. Don't count him out as our leading rusher next year.

I still think it'll be Davis on the right side, and Davis is PLENTY nasty!

Maybe Poles will surprise us and put Davis at RG and Jenkins at RT. Or maybe Poles doesnt trust Jenkins' head and injuries, and hes a backup or trade bait.

On 3/21/2023 at 2:34 AM, BearFan PHX said:

I still think it'll be Davis on the right side, and Davis is PLENTY nasty!

Maybe Poles will surprise us and put Davis at RG and Jenkins at RT. Or maybe Poles doesnt trust Jenkins' head and injuries, and hes a backup or trade bait.

True