Ian Cunningham

Pixote

I expect the Bears to make a huge turnaround this year. Worse to first? Probably not. But they are going to be a first class contender. BETCHA!

With that in mind, Poles' asst. GM, Ian Cunningham, will have a lot of suitors as a GM. Young, Great Resume, Checks all of the boxes teams will be looking for in a progressive GM.

This leads me to bring up the new NFL incentive launched last year.

Under the revised league policy on "Equal Employment and Workplace Diversity," the employer-club of a minority who has been hired as a head coach or general manager by another team will receive compensatory third-round draft picks for each of the following two drafts. 

So if I'm correct that would give us 2 additional 3rd round picks for Poles to use in his rebuild.

3 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

He could have left last year but I think he wanted to stay to see the turn around. He will get offers with a positive year. Him and Poles must be close friends.

I think he turned down Arizona although that was never really made public.   Nor should it have been, for both sides.  However, I do think he was serious in his job search but just didn't find the right match.  If all he wanted was to stay here another year he, and his career, would have been far better off not to waste the time of the owners interviewing him.  I don't like my time being wasted like that and I can't imagine an NFL owner would either.  Tarnish your reputation like that and it'll take years to recover and get back on teams' short list. 

I still suspect Cunningham's disagreement with the Bidwill's in AZ was that he didn't want to be forced to commit to Kyler Murray.  I correct I wouldn't blame him one bit.  What was the first thing the new GM said in his press conference? 

“We want to see him out on the field,” Ossenfort said. “Again, I’ll go back to that game two years ago at Nissan [Stadium, against the Titans]; I’ve seen what a healthy Kyler can do. I did a lot of work on Kyler coming out of Oklahoma. I know that he is extremely talented with both his legs and his arm and yeah that does represent a challenge for us.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cardinals/analysis/report-ian-cunningham-turned-down-offer-become-arizona-cardinals-gm

I think he had two offers and I understand that he doesnt want to go into a situation where he is not in control. I still think he has a stake in making this a good team. Success breeds success. If this is a winning season he will get more accolades than coming off a 3 win season. It may take him a couple of yrs to find what he wants. Every job offer is not created equal. Also I like the fact we will have 2  extra 3rd picks because of the new rules in the NFL. 

The toughest thing when trying to move up in sports leagues is knowing when to go for that promotion. Cunningham may want to put a little more on his resume and an improvement with the young players acquired in the past 2 off seasons would do him good.

I think the same goes for Getsy because whatever was said to encourage Fields to use his wheels has to have been something he encouraged. If JF1 shows marked improvement in passing stats he will get Shane Steichen(sp?) consideration.

On 7/18/2023 at 12:31 PM, Pixote said:

I expect the Bears to make a huge turnaround this year. Worse to first? Probably not. But they are going to be a first class contender. BETCHA!

With that in mind, Poles' asst. GM, Ian Cunningham, will have a lot of suitors as a GM. Young, Great Resume, Checks all of the boxes teams will be looking for in a progressive GM.

This leads me to bring up the new NFL incentive launched last year.

So if I'm correct that would give us 2 additional 3rd round picks for Poles to use in his rebuild.

Yeah, the pick compensation is great. He has been like a 2nd GM since joining the team, and you know anywhere he goes that Poles and him can then work together to continue to build their own franchises. So in a way, Cunningham may be even more valuable as a new GM somewhere else where the Bears get back to back 3rd round comp picks and potentially some external assistance with trades that benefit both sides.

5 minutes ago, adam said:

Yeah, the pick compensation is great. He has been like a 2nd GM since joining the team, and you know anywhere he goes that Poles and him can then work together to continue to build their own franchises. So in a way, Cunningham may be even more valuable as a new GM somewhere else where the Bears get back to back 3rd round comp picks and potentially some external assistance with trades that benefit both sides.

interesting angle. Being a good GM is all about relationships, and there is no better way than to fill the league with proteges. I hadn't thought of this particular benefit, but you're absolutely right. Good one.

17 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I truly hope that the mention of color does not exist before I breathe for the final time...

The 49ers got 2x 3rd round comp picks for Mike McDaniel, a "minority".

ssb9clwcrynmj057obrg.jpg

I honestly don't even know what constitutes that status.

To clarify my statement from yesterday, because it can be taken wrong.  What I want to see is a world where people walk through it colorblind when it comes to viewing people.  Experience, education, skill and character should be the underlying qualification for advancement of any kind, not the good ol boys club.

27 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

To clarify my statement from yesterday, because it can be taken wrong.  What I want to see is a world where people walk through it colorblind when it comes to viewing people.  Experience, education, skill and character should be the underlying qualification for advancement of any kind, not the good ol boys club.

absolutely. and that was MLK's dream as well.

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

The only time race should come up is in the medical realms as certain demographics are more prone to certain conditions. Outside of that, race should not be a consideration for anything.

4 hours ago, adam said:

The only time race should come up is in the medical realms as certain demographics are more prone to certain conditions. Outside of that, race should not be a consideration for anything.

amen, race shouldnt be a consideration in a negative or a positive way. Ive got friends of lots of different colors and backgrounds. theyre all different people. everyone is.

Does anyone really think that NFL teams pass on people who they think are the best candidate because of race? These people would sell their grandmothers to win.

9 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I like something Morgan Freeman said once ( if you want racism to go away, just stop talking about. ) . Cunningham, Poles and Warren are all smart people, more than qualified for their jobs. We don't need to mention their black. 

Love it!  Unfortunately, two third round picks speak otherwise.