Tyson Bagent

adam

31 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

That's exactly what I'm talking about.  Justin does none of this.  We want to talk shit on Getsy, but is that really the deal?  In no way am I carrying that Bagent is Rodgers, but he does well what Rodgers does well.  Quick release, quick decisions, accuracy and safe handling of the football.  Rodgers is an all time great at deep accuracy and that is something that sets them apart. Does Bagent have it or not?  I'm ready to find out...

Honestly Bagent looks like a seasoned All pro at QB, except we havent seen the intermediate or deep routes yet. I remember Shane Matthews being kinds of like this, except Im not sure Bagent doesnt have a deeper ball, and theyre just protecting him?

So there are definitely questions to be answered, but what Bagent has done, he has done very well. He seems to hover around a 70% completion percentage, just like in college. if that holds, and he can throw deeper routes on time, who knows what his ceiling could be?

(Shane was not as good as Bagents been, I just mean he made a living off of short passes)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

That's exactly what I'm talking about.  Justin does none of this.  We want to talk shit on Getsy, but is that really the deal?  In no way am I carrying that Bagent is Rodgers, but he does well what Rodgers does well.  Quick release, quick decisions, accuracy and safe handling of the football.  Rodgers is an all time great at deep accuracy and that is something that sets them apart. Does Bagent have it or not?  I'm ready to find out...

In terms of play style Bagent appears to be more in the type of Brady or Montana.  Neither had the great arm strength, both read plays quickly.   I'm talking style of play not productivity on the field!  

I just watched the clip of Wannstedt saying that if Bagent wins this week that the Bears need to listen to offers for Fields.  I realize there's a lot of noise out there in media and former players but Wannstedt is still somewhat close to the organization and he's usually pretty objective about the Bears roster.  That statement,  made on the air surprised me, and tells me that he sees a lot of the details we're talking about here.      

As I type this I'm listening to Kreutz also being very complimentary of Bagent.  He said we don't have a QB controversy yet but there's no way Fields can't feel the heat after that game.  

This upcoming game will be interesting.  

2 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

In terms of play style Bagent appears to be more in the type of Brady or Montana.  Neither had the great arm strength, both read plays quickly.   I'm talking style of play not productivity on the field! 

And Marino too!

As for productivity on the field, youre right - 4 super bowl wins is a lot more than one game, but Bagent was extremely productive in his one game. until I see some longer passes, I cant realistically guess at a ceiling for him! In a small limited sample he sure does look good!

It would be great if he turned into our franchise QB going forward from a cap space point of view, he is our cheapest option. If he plays well for a few more games and Fields comes back and plays well the rest of the year, that would be great for the team. I want everyone to be successful. That also means we probably win several more games that would lower our pick in the draft. 

The whole point in rebuilding the roster and at some point they have to look to wins as a measuring stick. Our defense is getting healthy and better. We are starting to create an identity on offense , running the ball. I see young players getting better. I see the 2nd and 7th leading tacklers in the league starting to make an impact on defense. Since Flus took over the defense it has gotten better even with many injuries on the back end. We are 4th in the league in rushing and that is w/o Fields big input. We are 8th in the league in run defense which is great considering last at it last year.

We have won 2 out of 3 games and with a few plays different,  we could be talking about winning 4 in a row. We have an easy schedule overall, laden with winnable games. We have did this with our top 2 running backs out and a make shift defensive backfield.

We are not ready for prime time but we are trending in the right direction.  

12 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

but Bagent was extremely productive in his one game.

Ironically Bagent's starter passer rating (97.2) for the Bears was only second to Chase Daniels' of 106.8 when he played his first game for the Bears in 2018.  Chase (himself a former 2x Heisman candidate) continues to share some of his decent perspective with regards to the current QB play and overall team performance.  

• 2 weeks later...

OK, my evaluation of this guy...

if he were from a large college program and drafted in the top 5 everyone, media and fans, would be gushing/touting how good he is and how good his progress is going.

three games he has played in the regular season and to me it is astounding as to how poised, accurate and smart of a player this kid is. he is looking at the field as a seasoned qb would. he is processing information in an astounding rate for a rookie. the int's? of course they are going to happen. what would matter to me is with a season of starts how he improves at reading the defense at a pro level. i think he could do it.

i really don't see the criticism on how weak an arm he has. the ball gets there in a hurry. he is hitting receivers in stride. his long balls are a matter of timing but they are certainly accurate.  can he kneel on the 50 yd line and throw a ball through the goal posts? no. but with experience he can hit the receivers 20-30+ yds downfield. that is enough for me.

how many qb's have we seen with these super arms fail because of the mental processing at an nfl level?

i am seeing a kid who is not just a good backup but a GOOD+ to VERY GOOD+ starting qb in the nfl within the next 5 years.

whether he pans out or not i think the potential of this kid is the moon.

3 hours ago, Lucky Luciano said:

if he were from a large college program and drafted in the top 5 everyone, media and fans, would be gushing/touting how good he is and how good his progress is going.

three games he has played in the regular season and to me it is astounding as to how poised, accurate and smart of a player this kid is. he is looking at the field as a seasoned qb would. he is processing information in an astounding rate for a rookie. the int's? of course they are going to happen. what would matter to me is with a season of starts how he improves at reading the defense at a pro level. i think he could do it.

i really don't see the criticism on how weak an arm he has. the ball gets there in a hurry. he is hitting receivers in stride. his long balls are a matter of timing but they are certainly accurate.  can he kneel on the 50 yd line and throw a ball through the goal posts? no. but with experience he can hit the receivers 20-30+ yds downfield. that is enough for me.

how many qb's have we seen with these super arms fail because of the mental processing at an nfl level?

i am seeing a kid who is not just a good backup but a GOOD+ to VERY GOOD+ starting qb in the nfl within the next 5 years.

Couldn't agree more.  I pointed out in another thread that he hasn't even seen this type of talent before.  Also, in this thread, there is a video of him saying he went to a QB guru that identified a specific weakness in his upper back.  They worked on it and his velocity increased.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  I'll bet money he works on it day one of the off season.  Bagent is a keeper.  Whether he ever becomes "high level" or not, is up to him and the coaching he receives. (Same for Justin)

2 hours ago, Lucky Luciano said:

The accuracy portion was a bit lacking against New Orleans.  One INT was just a bad read where NFL DBs are going to jump routes faster than what he's used to.  The others were passes in tight coverage that were slightly behind the WR.  Again, NFL speed.  Under pressure did he revert to his college paradigm for passing windows?   Can he fix that?  Probably with more reps.   Those might have to be offseason work.  

I like the kid. I've seen video of his combine that shows he does have a pretty good deep ball.  It would be interesting to see what he would look like if he was talking the snaps in camp and preseason.  I have a feeling he would even look better, but one will never know.  I suspect Fields will return and take over, leaving them to draft a QB and Bagent never getting an opportunity.  Personally I think he's played well enough to keep him in there the rest of the season. 

Bagent in a few years maybe a competent starter but not enough sample size to push him to very good. Yes he is a poised and quick processer but show me a all pro type tp compare to. He is closer to Gardner Mishew than ( name anyone). He is signed for 3 years so he isnt going anywhere. Fields has a higher upside but has to prove he can be that guy and it  hasnt happened yet.