Week 4 Official Loser Bowl Game Thread - DEN @ CHI, +3.5, O/U 45.5, SUN, OCT 1st, 12pm, FOX

adam

Battle of the Winless

So here we go, after another loss, the Bears continue to grasp for answers. It feels like groundhog day as the team hasn't won in 12 months now. 

Both teams will consider the other as their get-right game. Whichever team loses, there season will be over because there won't be an easier team on their schedule than this the entire year. So whoever loses has a better shot at 0-17 than going 9-8. 

The Broncos are 0-3, have allowed 122 pts and have a pts differential of -53. The Bears say, "hold my beer", they are also 0-3, have allowed 106 pts, and have a pts differential of -59. 

The teams are 31st and 32nd on defense, offensively, the Broncos have the edge in the passing game, and the Bears have a slight edge rushing.

The Broncos had 2 games decided by 3 pts total, so they were a lot closer to winning than the Bears. The Bears best game was a 10-pt loss. 

The Bears are at home, and that is probably the only edge I can see. However, if they start playing bad, the boo-birds, and paper bags will come out.

Unless something changes, I can't see the Bears winning a game this season. This one, in theory should be closer, but probably still a loss.

I am going with 24-17 Broncos. 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adam featured this topic
  • adam pinned this topic
On 9/25/2023 at 6:42 PM, Stinger226 said:

Our next 4 games are Denver-Washington-Minnesota- Las Vegas. 

What happens to the shit storm if we go 4-0 or 3-1? We know if we dont win any games or go 1-3 we just continue the same gloom and doom.

BUT what if  

At this point, they have to go no less than 2-2 in the next 4, otherwise someone is fired or Fields is benched. 1-3 makes them 1-6 and 4-20 over the last two seasons. 2-2 at least shows some sign of progress. 

Based on those opponents, they should go 3-1 at a minimum, but they're the Bears and nuthin' is easy. The first win would do wonders for them, even against a winless team like Denver. Getting 2 straight would also be huge because that has yet to happen under Flus.

9 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

We will get better as the year goes on not how many wins that turns into. 

I think that some individual players will get better, but, with all our injuries and coaching disfunction, this TEAM is not going to get better and win games. And there will probably be more injuries and further finger-pointing/denials, angry players and some that will disconnect. I don't see any leadership on this team anywhere in the organization and that is problem no. 1.

Denver has 4x WRs with over 100 yards receiving. Marvin Mims leads the team with 195 yds. Sutton has 17 receptions for 189. Brandon Johnson has emerged and they still have Jeudy. With the Bears depleted secondary, Russ is probably going to gash the Bears defense.

Teams rarely score their projected points in back to back road games, we will see if that holds true with Denver. 

The Denver defense is bad, so the Bears offense should feel right at home as they practice against a bad defense every day.

35 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

If we are not in this game, i think it indicates that Flus has lost the team and the season will be lost. If fired in midseason who takes over? It has to be in house, they are not bringing new in. Hoke seems the most logical because of experience. Dont think Getsy would get it.

It has to be Hoke or Hightower, I would assume. 

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

No way they bring in a new coach, cant remember that working out. It has to be within or Flus stays.

I cant remember a time a coach was fired early midseason and his replacement was named the new coach and he kept the job for several years. What usually happens is they fire the guy and name someone else interim coach - meaning they have that year but everyone knows theyre going to do a complete search in the offseason. Usually that someone comes from inside, but look at the Colts. They fired Frank Reich and named Jeff Saturday interim coach on Nov 7th of that year.

I think that no one thought that Saturday would remain head coach - he came from coaching High School I think. But he'd been a big part of the Indianapolis Offensive Line and had that leadership swagger that they trusted to see them thru the end of the year.

After that, they hired Shane Steichen from the Eagles offensive staff.

Anyway, whoever is interim coach this year, would not likely be the head coach next year. So you can fire Eberflus when you think it's necessary.

Some might think that it's just easier to let Eberflus be the interim coach. That doesnt mean they dont already know hes gone, its just the logistics of when to fire him. that he hasnt been fired, doesnt mean that internally they havent already moved on from him.

Rome wasn't built in a day guys.  We all expected improvement, but it hasn't happened yet.  I'm impatient too.  This team has been snake bitten with injuries and the Nate Davis ordeal.  I think once the OL is intact for a few games, we will see what the team looks like.  If it's shit then, then it's shit.  Not yet.

28 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Rome wasn't built in a day guys.  We all expected improvement, but it hasn't happened yet.  I'm impatient too.  This team has been snake bitten with injuries and the Nate Davis ordeal.  I think once the OL is intact for a few games, we will see what the team looks like.  If it's shit then, then it's shit.  Not yet.

I half agree with you. I definitely think the roster is much better than it was last year. I think when Davis comes back the OL is going to look a lot better. I still think Edmunds is gonna be good.I think our secondary is good if they are on the field. The HBs are good, DJ Moore is great. I'm hopefully about the rookie DTs.

So you're right, Rome can continue to be built.

But what i know now is that justin Fields is not our QB. And I have a pretty good idea that the coaching staff arent a Super Bowl winning staff.

If you're basically saying keep Poles, I think that's what the Bears will do. But if Eberflus is still the head coach next year, it'll be a disaster and infect the new QB.

24 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

But what i know now is that justin Fields is not our QB. And I have a pretty good idea that the coaching staff arent a Super Bowl winning staff.

If you're basically saying keep Poles, I think that's what the Bears will do. But if Eberflus is still the head coach next year, it'll be a disaster and infect the new QB.

Agree Justin is not it.  Flus may not be it either, but I want things to be concrete before firing and scrapping people.  I really like Poles.  It may be that I'll always be an OL at heart, but I really believe his way will build something if it's allowed to go to fruition.   

8 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Agree Justin is not it.  Flus may not be it either, but I want things to be concrete before firing and scrapping people.  I really like Poles.  It may be that I'll always be an OL at heart, but I really believe his way will build something if it's allowed to go to fruition.   

Well yeah, there's a difference between knowing that youre going to fire Eberflus, and picking a day to do it. i think we're conflating those two things in all these discussions.

We're all saying "Fire Eberflus" but I think what we're really saying is "Eberflus must be gone after this year, but fire him when it makes sense"

And I'm with you on letting Poles keep going. Im at least 60/40 right now on that.

This is a critical game for all of the above . I think we have a better roster than last year, and as Mongo said they havent got it together because of injuries. Im probably the worst poster on here for being to optimistic but that's just  the way I roll. I know sometimes its not realistic but its just a better way for me to be a fan of anything. I suggested 11 wins, 8-9 would have been more realitic. Now that seems a reach. We actually  have 4 games we can get well  but we HAVE TO SEE IT START THIS WEEK, IF NOT A WIN AT LEAST DOWN TO THE WIRE LOSS WOULD BE ACCETABLE.  

• adam unpinned and unfeatured this topic