Upcoming Free Agents

DrunkBomber

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Resign Briggs, go after Derrick Anderson, draft Colt Brennan, sign Berrian and possibly Mike Brown. I guess I could live another season with Cedric as our starting running back if this is the route we take, were unlikely to have the money to sign a Michael Turner who is going to demand a nice paycheck.

Start Anderson, let Colt Brennan sit a year and then start working him towards becoming a starter down the road.

So bring in two expensive QBs? No thanks. That is way too much money when only one guy can be on the field at a time.

he was playing better than 1/2 of our line with one arm. He could be had for cheap, is a leader and still effective when healthy. If we have Faneca, I would be comfortable having a depth chart of Brown/Garza/hopefully Beekman/Metcalf

Thats not saying much. The only guy that deserves to be back on the oline is Tait. And he needs to move back to RT. The rest are terrible (including Olin...his play has been really bad this year)

We really don't have a choice with Berrian. He must be brought back. People need to realize, he is our best offensive weapon, even if he isn't anything more then a no. 2

He is our no. 1 receiver. Just think about it, look how bad our receivers would be without him.

Berrian being the Bears best WR and best offensive weapon is more indicative of the sad state of the Bears WR corps than it is of his own ability. Let him go if he is seeking a big payday. He'll make the great catch once in while, and fights after he gets the ball, but he just doesn't get open consistently. Someone with his speed should be open regularly and he just isn't. Not to mention his case of the dropsies. Berrian can be replaced. For that matter, our entire receiving corps should be replaced. Moose has the heart and desire, but not the ability anymore. Davis is just meh. Bradley, while not given enough reps to be decalred a bust, has definitely done something to fall out of favor with the staff. The one bright spot we have at the position in years is Mike Hass and he can't get on the field.

Franchise?? I don't think so....I'd rather spend the money on the Oline. Receivers with Berrian's ability are a dime a dozen.

My ideal off-season would be to resign Briggs and Grossman first and foremost...if Berrian is reasonable he can also bring brought back. Id cut Brown, Archuleta, Walker, not bring back Manning jr, Fred Miller, Brown, and Moose.

I like Mike Brown but this is something that happens every single year... its time to move on. Someone else mentioned I would have no problem in bringing in Bryant Johnson from the Cards... who already have two top tier recievers so probably wont keep him. A few other options could be Patrick Crayton, Andre Davis, DJ Hackett, and Devory Henderson. Plus, I think Hester should definitely be in on offense more.

In the draft I definitely think we need to address the O-Line first, maybe taking two guys in the first 3 rounds... Depending on how good our pick is I wouldnt mind looking at the stud DT prospect from LSU though to shore up the run or if there is a stud safety. Other than that, O-Line... There are also some big F/A Oline members we could pursue in Max Starks, Flozell Adams, and Alan Faneca.

I must admit, Glen Dorsey would be a stud next to Tommie Harris, but unless the Bears lose all 3 games and he slides I still don't think they would get him. Plus, the Bears truly need to shore up that offensive line and it is so damn expensive to sign a top notch free agent tackle that really the only way to get one is via the draft and this is a good class of tackles. Take the tackle in the first round, draft a guard in the 3rd, draft a skilled player in Rd 2 (ie RB or WR), and sign a FA guard (of course if they go after a FA tackle that would mean they could draft a QB/RB/WR/DT/Safety (McFadden won't fall but I don't konw what the projections are for Rice at Rutgers) in round 1 (cause it would be stupid to draft a guard as high as the Bears are picking, imo, and than take the best guard in the 2nd round.

The last two years Berrian has been a tremendous factor in this team's passing game and according to some game anaylsts he is the Bears' number one WR.I think he should be resigned and the Bears should pursue someone else to play opposite him via the draft or FA.First and foremost the Bears need to shore up the line on both sides of the ball.

If the Bears had a young WR who had really come into his own this year, I'd be much more willing to let Berrian walk. The reality is that it isn't the case. If Hester was ready we probably would have seen him running more routes but the reality is Hester isn't even close to understanding what it takes to be an NFL receiver.

I think he has the potential to be a lethal slot receiver on crossing patterns as well as a guy who would be awesome on double moves (since CB's would have to play the short passes in fear that he would end up making a huge play out of a short pass). I'm guessing we'll see Hester turn into this guy a season from now. Let him get another training camp at WR, as well as a lot more reps running typical routes (enough of this decoy or reverse shit, just let the man play WR and if you do that when you want to, you will actually be able to run a reverse or so a game).

But the Bears do not have anyone and I mean anyone even capable of being a #1. We can argue whether Bernard is or isn't. He had a bad case of the drops but he has come on strong. He's also Rex favorite target (it is no secret that Bernard started kicking ass again when Rex came in) and has both the size, speed and strenght you'd like from a WR. I think the Bears pretty much have to overpay to get him because without him that offense is a joke (they wouldn't have any legit #1 WR, plus it would add to the pressure that they would have to take a skill player with the #1 pick, something I'm not a fan of, because this team needs help on the lines).

Basically put this is been a bad year but he's still on pass for over 1000 yards and he makes big plays as well as tough plays. Hell, I think in another year we may see Bernard emerge as a total legit #1 WR (I think he learned over the course of this season that you always have to focus 100% and work your ass off).

I'd say aside from the oline, bringing back Berrian has to be the #1 priority (the TE position is solid, I'm fine with QB, line is horrific, WR is acceptable with BB, terrible without him). Briggs is a stud, but again, I think the Bears (despite the horrid play of the defense this year) still have playmakers on the defensive side and could get away without having him (especially since they like Williams and that Stanford guy who didn't play so much). I still want BB/Rex/Briggs/FA Guard or Tackle brought in (don't know how realistic it is and in order of preference it goes FA Lineman/BB/Rex/Briggs (I have Rex higher because I think it would be assinine to give up a 1st and 3rd rounder and than all the money to Derek Anderson or give all the money to McNabb when the line is the bigger issue).

Sign Jordan Gross please. :pray

I agree 100%.

FA tackles may cost a fortune...but we need to spend it. We're not paying a top tier QB. We're not paying a top tier WR. Spend the money on the line. Get a capologist in there and finess the figures.

Both of Carolina's tackles, Jordan Gross and Travelle Wharton, are UFA's after this year. I doubt they can resign them both. Starks from Pitt is another solid tackle.

Also, Faneca can really help us at Guard, but I may be asking for too much.

Those two moves...A quality guard and tackle will improve the offense drasticly. We need to pony up.

Top 2008 Free Agent OL

By: Greg Davis

QB | RB | WR | OL | DL | LB | DB | ST

Ruben Brown, UFA, Chicago Bears

An aging veteran, Brown has a lot of experience opening holes for backs and allowing time for passers. He’s a solid guard who holds down his position quite well. If he decides to stick around, he may have a couple of good seasons left. Teams won’t line up to sign him, but there should be a handful that show interest.

Alan Faneca, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers

Faneca seems to be the most likely of this group to leave his current team. Rumors suggest that he plans on leaving after the season and has not discussed an extension with the Steelers. Faneca is a quality guard who has started in five Pro Bowls and been selected as a first team All-Pro five times as well. He also still has some prime seasons of his career remaining. Faneca will receive the most interest at his position, could be the most coveted offensive linemen after the season, and should also be one of the most coveted players available in all of the NFL.

Flozell Adams, UFA, Dallas Cowboys

A veteran left tackle, Adams should hit the market and receive decent interest. A second-round pick in 1998, Adams has developed into one of the league’s better offensive linemen. His size, experience, and performance will lure teams into making a considerable offer for his services. The Cowboys are developing young talent behind him, and depending on how that youth pans out the rest of the season, the team could allow him to leave in favor of saving some money.

Jordan Gross, UFA, Carolina Panthers

With Gross’ contract voiding at season’s end, the Panthers will need to increase his salary in order to keep him around. The ownership seems to agree that he deserves a pay raise, and the team appears to want to keep him around as their starting right tackle. A former first-round selection who has played well, Gross will be looking for a considerably larger check come next season.

Ryan Lilja, UFA, Indianapolis Colts

A quality guard, Lilja is relatively young and has a Super Bowl ring to call his own. The Colts will do well to sign him to an extension, but there’s a chance that Lilja tests the market. In reality, the system that Lilja plays within is a nice fit, and he could easily stay because of it.

Max Starks, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers

Starks is young and massive, and another Pittsburgh player that may leave the Steel City. He’s 25 and is listed at 6’7” while weighing 337 pounds. His size and age will make him a desired player on many team’s list. A top tier tackle will always garner interest and Starks may lead the free agent class at the spot because of the high level of play he has shown on the field.

Floyd Womack, UFA, Seattle Seahawks

A big, experienced guard, Womack could get a decent offer from any team missing out on a top tier target like Faneca. If Womack isn’t the outright starter in Seattle this season, look for him to find work elsewhere with an expanded role guaranteed.

Jake Scott, UFA, Indianapolis Colts

Scott is the starting right guard for one of the top offensive line units in the entire NFL, and his ability to help protect Peyton Manning should equate to a nice contract number. Indianapolis has found a way to retain most of their line talent in recent seasons, and it should come as no surprise if Scott is locked into a long-term deal in the near future.

Todd Steussie UFA St. Louis Rams

Steussie has been a solid offensive tackle for several years, but he was placed on injured reserve earlier this season because of a foot injury. He’s approaching forty years of age, but he may still have a good season or two in him. He should receive some attention as a free agent simply because of his experience and the position he plays.

Travelle Wharton UFA Carolina Panthers

A late third-round selection in 2004, Wharton has developed into a solid starting left tackle. He has been a key reason for the successes that the Panthers have had, and his absence last season was a key reason for the team’s struggles. Wharton’s rookie contract will expire at season’s end, and his value on the market should be fairly strong. A quality left tackle is hard to find, and team’s looking to bolster an offensive line will have to consider Wharton. Carolina will likely make every effort to work out an extension.

Other Free Agent Offensive Linemen

OG P.J. Alexander UFA Atlanta Falcons

OT Nat Dorsey UFA Cleveland Browns

OT Trai Essex RFA Pittsburgh Steelers

OG Chris Kemoeatu RFA Pittsburgh Steelers

OT Cory Lekkerkerker RFA San Diego Chargers

OT Sean Locklear UFA Seattle Seahawks

OG Brian Rimpf RFA Baltimore Ravens

OG Keydrick Vincent UFA Baltimore Ravens

OG Fred Weary UFA Houston Texans

you know, there is a lot of quality O-lineman out there this year. I had no idea past Adams and Faneca that there was this much depth in the FA market

Seriously. You'd have to imagine a chunk of those guys will resign, but there is a good number of quality starting offensive lineman (both guards and tackles). I also noticed the Colts had a couple of there lineman available. It looks to me that with all that talent out there, you end up having a good supply that may keep the costs a bit down (I still expect some of those guards/tackles to be amongst the highest paid lineman in the league, if not the highest paid).

I really hope JA plans on getting serious in FA this year and making a splash immediately that bolsters that oline.

It isn't that horrible of an idea. Brown is still solid when healthy and would be cheap. Assuming they were able to get a good tackle and a young guard that could be groomed along with Brown I wouldn't be opposed to it. I'd prefer to pass on Brown but I think he's a good plan B or C.

No, i like the guy alot. But, i think he's about done.

the funny thing about Olineman is that they are usually done when they say they are done. Its wierd, with how much they get beat up all year, but they usually seem to last a while in the league(the good ones at least)

Yeah. Aside from kickers (see Mort Anderson), It seems like offensive lineman are the guys that stick around the longest while still playing at a near all pro level. It is truly amazing how long some of the great olineman stick it out. You know athletically they aren't as good, but the oline must be a position where if you are a truly superior technique wise (plus savy from the years of experience) that you can still throw around a much quicker, stronger dlineman.

Yeah, i dont agree with this one bit. Olin is the only one worth his paycheck on the line

I guess you didn't watch last game. I'm not sure how you say "get blasted into the backfield so you knock your guard off his block so our QB gets crumpled for the year, get three delay of game penalties in a shotgun set, and pull and whiff on screens" is worth his paycheck.

I kind of expected this reaction because Olin has been a Bear forever and WAS a Pro Bowl player, but his play has been declining for the last three years if you really watch him. He made his last two Pro Bowls on reputation alone.

Seriously if you can, go back and watch the Skins game and his line play and tell me he "earned his check"

Yeah, lets get rid of a solid guy on the DLine. Great idea. :rolleyes:

I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not, but Walker has been very poor this season. You can make a case that it is because of injuries but bottom line the production hasn't been there. I know he's been more than solid in the past, but as Bears fans we have yet to see him produce in our uni.

I think they may bring him back (because of the question-marks on the dline) but he will have to renegotiate because giving a guy who played the way he did this past season 5.5M would be a horrible decision, imo.

I guess you didn't watch last game. I'm not sure how you say "get blasted into the backfield so you knock your guard off his block so our QB gets crumpled for the year, get three delay of game penalties in a shotgun set, and pull and whiff on screens" is worth his paycheck.

I kind of expected this reaction because Olin has been a Bear forever and WAS a Pro Bowl player, but his play has been declining for the last three years if you really watch him. He made his last two Pro Bowls on reputation alone.

Seriously if you can, go back and watch the Skins game and his line play and tell me he "earned his check"

Yeah, he has earned his paycheck. The line around him is falling apart and Olin is always having to back up the inferior talent around him and throw multiple blocks to give any QB extra time that the rest of the line cannot.

All of those delay of game penalties were on Olin? Are you kidding me?

Im not going to argue with you, the one thinking that Tait is the best(why dont you count how many false start penalties Tait has accrued and compare that with the delay of game penalties that you assigned to Olin), there is a reason that Kreutz is considered one of the best centers in the game of football.

He may get a pro bowl based on reputation. Want to know how you get that kind of reputation? By being damn good.

from 1 CC to another: Thanks for the FA info!

My recycled 2 cents, with half a cent new input thanks to CChoas, about fixing the O-Line:

Add Ryan Clady or Michael Oher or Heath Benedict in the draft.

Then sign:

Ruben Brown, UFA, Chicago Bears

An aging veteran, Brown has a lot of experience opening holes for backs and allowing time for passers. He’s a solid guard who holds down his position quite well. If he decides to stick around, he may have a couple of good seasons left. Teams won’t line up to sign him, but there should be a handful that show interest.

Jake Scott, UFA, Indianapolis Colts

Scott is the starting right guard for one of the top offensive line units in the entire NFL, and his ability to help protect Peyton Manning should equate to a nice contract number. Indianapolis has found a way to retain most of their line talent in recent seasons, and it should come as no surprise if Scott is locked into a long-term deal in the near future.

and move Tait to RT and apologize to Olin for the mess this year.

Here's to our new Bears' family!

:drink

Yeah, he has earned his paycheck. The line around him is falling apart and Olin is always having to back up the inferior talent around him and throw multiple blocks to give any QB extra time that the rest of the line cannot.

All of those delay of game penalties were on Olin? Are you kidding me?

Im not going to argue with you, the one thinking that Tait is the best(why dont you count how many false start penalties Tait has accrued and compare that with the delay of game penalties that you assigned to Olin), there is a reason that Kreutz is considered one of the best centers in the game of football.

He may get a pro bowl based on reputation. Want to know how you get that kind of reputation? By being damn good.

Well if you back your opinion of Olin up with those types of facts, its hard to argue with you. lol. But lets be serious now, go back and watch the Skins game.

When the QB is desperately trying to get the ball snapped as time is running down and Olin is still doing all his pointing, hand shaking nonsense then its on the center.

And if you watch every lineman during a game, Tait is the one who misses the least blocks, that how I judge players, not by proclaiming them "damn good".

And if you try to tell me that Rex's injury was not on Olin, then I guess we are done debating.