Upcoming Free Agents

DrunkBomber

The ones that come to the top of my head are:

Grossman

Briggs

Berrian

Rueben Brown

Mike Brown?

Heres some guys Ive heard people discussing cutting, whether is feasible or not:

Moose

Walker

Bradley

Archuleta

Miller

Then Tommie is a F/A after next season obviously...

Who do we keep and who do we let go? Who on the current roster would you like to see stay a Bear?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Brown has 1 more yr on his deal but could definitely be cut. Walker, Arch, and Miller are gone given their cap ramifications next yr. Lance told a national audience that he has made his 75% so I think he goes to the highest bidder which won't be us. I try to resign Berrian and Grossman and then go get the bes available o-lineman in FA.

Peace

According to this list (http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=By+Team&y=2008), UFAs are:

Grossman

Berrian

Gilmore

R. Brown

Ayenbadejo

McClover

Ayenbadejo is worth keeping for special teams alone. I'd like to keep Berrian, but I have no idea what his value in the open market is. The rest can go as far as I'm concerned.

I would have no problem dropping Miller and Archuleta. Bradley's been disappointing, but I don't know that he's making enough that dropping him is worthwhile. If you bring back Berrian and maybe pick up another decent WR, I'd be OK letting Moose go, but our WR corps isn't great as it is.

I'd keep Mike Brown, his salary is fairly low and if you get anything out of him, it was worth it.

Ruben Brown, Fred Miller, Archuleta, Moose, and Darwin Walker should be gone.

Ricky Manning is a toss-up to come back, with Vasher getting healthy and McBride exceeding expectations as a rookie.

Bring back Rex and Briggs for sure.

Try to bring back Berrian, if he makes things difficult, drop him & move on to Bryant Johnson from Az.

I think the two guys that I can pretty much guarantee will be cut are:

Darwin Walker (he could always restructure, but no way are the Bears going to have him counting ~5M against the cap next year)

Fred Miller (again, they could restructure, but I think and hope the Bears go a different, young direction at the tackle spot. Plus he's due to make around $5M).

I'm not sure what Griese's cap hit is, but if he is due to make any substantial amount I would drop him. It is clear he isn't the starter in Chicago and the only question is whether the Bears end up going with Rex/Orton/Draft Pick or if they end up letting Brian & Rex go and go after a starter with KO being the backup and a journeyman brought in as a 3rd stringer.

In terms of signing our FA's. Unless Jamar Williams plays ridiculously I think the Bears will make a strong push at resigning both Berrian and Briggs. Berrian will probably get a ridiculous offer and it could price the Bears out. However, we also have to realize Berrian is the only above average WR this team has and it may damn well be necessary to over pay to keep him. Moose isn't a huge cap hit, IIRC, but they could always restructure and I think he's still a valid asset to have (the key is drafting or getting someone else to develop into the 2nd WR with Moose playing the slot position; He's still a great teacher, a great blocker, and he knows how to make the 3rd down grab).

Abandeyjo is a must have back (assuming it costs special teams money) as he is just a coverage stud. Arch is a gonner and I figure Mike Brown will restructure or retire (I don't see him playing anywhere but Chicago, but I also don't see the Bears handing him the starting position next year..maybe he proves his way back and earns it, but they will have options at safety).

As far as Ruben Brown goes, if nothing goes right in FA, bring him back, but I think the Bears need to draft a guard, sign a FA guard (ie Faneca), draft a tackle (1st rnd pick).

Oh and I'd think RMJ will be gone. In fact, the Bears do have the ability to clear up a decent amount of cap space which should put them in a spot to be able to sign a big time lineman.

I've been thinking about seeing RMJ cut, but he will cutting him now really won't save us much more then a mil or so. I think it's best to keep him, and then cut him before the 09 season (he is slated to go from 1.8 to 4.7 in 09).

Miller getting cut saves us about 4 million, Arch about 1-2, restructuring Brown about 1 million, and a couple other cuts, Walker wouldn't lose or gain us money, but with a few other cuts (perhaps Moose? That'd save about 2 mil), we can jump from 20 million in cap space to 30 million.

I see Briggs and Ayanbadejo being resigned and Brown's contract restructured, and Berrian franchised. With the extra cap space we could save from cutting players, we can afford to perhaps overpay Berrian for a season but it would be worth it as we don't have to commit long term. Ruben Brown can comeback if he wants to for about 2 million.

So, if the above happens, we would have enough to work out an extension for Harris.

I've been thinking about seeing RMJ cut, but he will cutting him now really won't save us much more then a mil or so. I think it's best to keep him, and then cut him before the 09 season (he is slated to go from 1.8 to 4.7 in 09).

Miller getting cut saves us about 4 million, Arch about 1-2, restructuring Brown about 1 million, and a couple other cuts, Walker wouldn't lose or gain us money, but with a few other cuts (perhaps Moose? That'd save about 2 mil), we can jump from 20 million in cap space to 30 million.

I see Briggs and Ayanbadejo being resigned and Brown's contract restructured, and Berrian franchised. With the extra cap space we could save from cutting players, we can afford to perhaps overpay Berrian for a season but it would be worth it as we don't have to commit long term. Ruben Brown can comeback if he wants to for about 2 million.

So, if the above happens, we would have enough to work out an extension for Harris.

I would have to think the Bears would wait to negotiate/extend Harris until the middle of next season. I just wouldn't be confident enough about his knees/health status to give him a 5 to 6 year extension with 30+ in guaranteed cash.

Berrian franchised? Are you insane. To pay him that much money even if it is only for one year is a horrible idea.

not really, when you consider how much he will make if he hits the market. Franchising Berrian would be common sense. No way is worth a 5 year 35 million deal, which I believe he could get.

not really, when you consider how much he will make if he hits the market. Franchising Berrian would be common sense. No way is worth a 5 year 35 million deal, which I believe he could get.

I dont think we should resign him at all. Hes not a number 1 receiver and doesnt deserve number 1 money. Unless he is willing to play for a fair contract I think they could use that money elsewhere. Unless they franchise him in order to trade him.

Resign Briggs, go after Derrick Anderson, draft Colt Brennan, sign Berrian and possibly Mike Brown. I guess I could live another season with Cedric as our starting running back if this is the route we take, were unlikely to have the money to sign a Michael Turner who is going to demand a nice paycheck.

Start Anderson, let Colt Brennan sit a year and then start working him towards becoming a starter down the road.

I dont think we should resign him at all. Hes not a number 1 receiver and doesnt deserve number 1 money. Unless he is willing to play for a fair contract I think they could use that money elsewhere. Unless they franchise him in order to trade him.

We really don't have a choice with Berrian. He must be brought back. People need to realize, he is our best offensive weapon, even if he isn't anything more then a no. 2

He is our no. 1 receiver. Just think about it, look how bad our receivers would be without him.

Resign Briggs, go after Derrick Anderson, draft Colt Brennan, sign Berrian and possibly Mike Brown. I guess I could live another season with Cedric as our starting running back if this is the route we take, were unlikely to have the money to sign a Michael Turner who is going to demand a nice paycheck.

Start Anderson, let Colt Brennan sit a year and then start working him towards becoming a starter down the road.

Terrible, terrible idea.

Anderson will be a RFA after this season, and hence, the Browns will be able to literally ask for the moon for him.

We really don't have a choice with Berrian. He must be brought back. People need to realize, he is our best offensive weapon, even if he isn't anything more then a no. 2

He is our no. 1 receiver. Just think about it, look how bad our receivers would be without him.

My problem with that statement is...we don't know how our receivers would be without him. For a couple reasons. First, we have had no running game this season, so our WR's haven't had great opportunities. Second, we haven't seen much of Hester at all. Third, our O-Line has performed so poorly, it's hard to actually tell how any of our receivers would play, because our QB's have spent half their time running for their lives or throwing from their backs.

I could understand using the Franchise tag on Berrian if you were desperate, but usually it's really hard to find receivers that are worth that and is probably going to be a lot easier to find other WR's.

We would have to give up a first and third to get Anderson. Then, if he was there in the second round get Brennan. So essentially were tying up our top 3 picks in two quarterbacks, one out of a pass happy Hawaii team. Then pay Berrian top 10 WR money. So we have the exact same team minus Briggs and Grossman and a rookie QB and Anderson with no new offensive lineman or WRs.

My problem with that statement is...we don't know how our receivers would be without him. For a couple reasons. First, we have had no running game this season, so our WR's haven't had great opportunities. Second, we haven't seen much of Hester at all. Third, our O-Line has performed so poorly, it's hard to actually tell how any of our receivers would play, because our QB's have spent half their time running for their lives or throwing from their backs.

I could understand using the Franchise tag on Berrian if you were desperate, but usually it's really hard to find receivers that are worth that and is probably going to be a lot easier to find other WR's.

There are a couple of things to remember about the situation with Berrian.

1. Because the cap has grown so quickly in the past couple of years, the top guy at any position will get a FAR better contract than the BEST players signed to contracts only a couple of years ago.

A perfect example is the Nate Clements in SF who signed the 8 year $80 million contract this past offseason. So while he's no Champ Bailey, he's still making more than anyone else at the position.

2. You have to also figure the difference in "Bears dollars" vs. the rest of the league.

With the Bears, a player actually has a good chance at playing out his contract. Whereas Nate Clements has salaries of $9m, $10.7m, and $15.5 million in the final 3 years of his contract that he will likely never see.

I think Berrian will get (from the Bears) somewhere around $15 million guaranteed on a 5 year contract worth $30 mil. On the open market, the guaranteed money will probably be about the same, but you can tack all kinds of extra stuff at the end since it's fantasy anyway. While that may sounds like alot, it's peanuts compared to what a Marvin Harrison or Chad Johnson would get in this year with this cap.

My ideal off-season would be to resign Briggs and Grossman first and foremost...if Berrian is reasonable he can also bring brought back. Id cut Brown, Archuleta, Walker, not bring back Manning jr, Fred Miller, Brown, and Moose.

I like Mike Brown but this is something that happens every single year... its time to move on. Someone else mentioned I would have no problem in bringing in Bryant Johnson from the Cards... who already have two top tier recievers so probably wont keep him. A few other options could be Patrick Crayton, Andre Davis, DJ Hackett, and Devory Henderson. Plus, I think Hester should definitely be in on offense more.

In the draft I definitely think we need to address the O-Line first, maybe taking two guys in the first 3 rounds... Depending on how good our pick is I wouldnt mind looking at the stud DT prospect from LSU though to shore up the run or if there is a stud safety. Other than that, O-Line... There are also some big F/A Oline members we could pursue in Max Starks, Flozell Adams, and Alan Faneca.

The only reason I think we have to bring Berrian back is because of how light the WR free agent class is. Ive heard a few people say hes our best offensive weapon which I disagree with. Id say Clark is at this point because he has much better hands and Im assuming by next year Olsen will become whoever our qb is favorite target. In terms of stretching the field I think Hester is about an offseason away of being right about where Berrian is skill wise at WR except with a much higher upside after he gets the ball in his hands.

We dont need anymore burner WRS, we need a sure handed, bigger target to go across the middle. Pretty much someone to do what we brought Moose in to do.

The only reason I think we have to bring Berrian back is because of how light the WR free agent class is. Ive heard a few people say hes our best offensive weapon which I disagree with. Id say Clark is at this point because he has much better hands and Im assuming by next year Olsen will become whoever our qb is favorite target. In terms of stretching the field I think Hester is about an offseason away of being right about where Berrian is skill wise at WR except with a much higher upside after he gets the ball in his hands.

We dont need anymore burner WRS, we need a sure handed, bigger target to go across the middle. Pretty much someone to do what we brought Moose in to do.

The last two years Berrian has been a tremendous factor in this team's passing game and according to some game anaylsts he is the Bears' number one WR.I think he should be resigned and the Bears should pursue someone else to play opposite him via the draft or FA.First and foremost the Bears need to shore up the line on both sides of the ball.

Grossman - re-sign to an incentive laden deal

Briggs - gone and we get nothing for him

Berrian - really, really depends on the price; personally, Id let him go. As effective as he's been for us, we would be better served to focus on FA lineman as it would make all of our skill guys better

Rueben Brown - re-sign

Mike Brown - re-sign/keep - hopefully the law of averages will kick in, and he'll be able to stay healthy like Grossman a year ago

Moose - really depends on his contract #'s which Im not familiar with. If his salary is fairly small, we keep him until his contract runs out; hes a decent possesion WR, even though his hands have been shaky this year

Walker - gone

Bradley - keep and hope he develops

Archuleta - GONE

Miller - GONE

Cut Terrence Metcalf if he saves us cap room; he's just as bad as Miller. If we take a big hit, he'll at least be good for depth depth

As far as FA's go, IMHO, should go this route: follow the model set by the Cleveland Browns. Eric Steinbach and Joe Thomas completely changed the shape of their offense and has made D Anderson an all-pro. Our QB's, while not lights out, will be serviceable if they arent getting murdered on a regular basis

Sign Alan Faneca, PITT guard - a complete stud and better than Steinbach. He'll command major dollars, but would do so much for us (see Steve Hutchinson and Steinbach).

WR Bryant Johnson, AZ Cardinals. I think he could fill in nicely as a #2, especially if Berrian goes and Moose goes (or even stays). He wont be super pricey and will be an upgrade for us.

We need to re-sign Tommie NOW. His price will skyrocket in if he hits FA and he, not Urlacher, is the key to our D. Pass rush up the middle will help the entire D play better; Hes also solid againsty the run. We could tag him, but d rather have him happy and ready to be the best player in the league at his position

Thats all Id do FA wise until cuts are made. There will be some cap casualties from other teams that would be good for us. Im not sure who they are, but a LB, RB and safety will be available.

Draft is our key and Id go this route:

As "sexy" as a QB sounds sounds, it does nothing for us and is a HUGE risk. I'd only draft a guy with a late round flier and hope that lighting strikes and we find a Brady. If there was a Carson Palmer type talent, I might have been for it, but right now, the top 3 (Woodson, Brohm and Ryan) look lie decent prospects, but not top flite guys.

The same goes for Michael Turner. If we had a good line, Id say go for it, but we just suck, are old and may not have anything in the pipeline to develop.

Do everything possible to get Jake Long, MICH tackle. Trade our 1, 2, 3, next years 1 or 2 & 3, whatever and get the guy. If it gets too pricey, which it probably will as there are teams in front of us who need tackles (Oakland off the top of my head) get Sam Baker or the kid from Boston College, whose name escapes me.

We should do all we can to develop what we have and hope massive injuries dont happen again. Hester could be great if his hands soften up and he gets better at running routes and learning where hes supposed to be. We hopefully will see some progression from Bradley, which would greatly help as well. Hopefully fat ass Cedrib Benson has a chip on his shoulder and comes into camp ready to prove hes not a massive bust. Hpefully the law of averges evens out and our DT position becomes stable. I think we have good/great players there and will be solid if EVERY guy doesnt go down or get banged up.

We also desperatly need to have D Maning progress and hope the same for Payne. Either way, we need to find a safety who can cover a WR, not the grass.

Unfortunately, out staff has to stay, but boy do I wish Turner could go. Im not too confident on the other guys, but Id give them a pass due to injuries this year.

I know there are some other things to do, but my coffee hasnt fully kicked in yet and this is good enough, for now.