Upcoming Free Agents

DrunkBomber

On the Oline:

Tait - needs to move to RT where he was a better player at KC

Metcalf - sucks and blows; he must go. Please, please, please play Beekman for the rest of the yr to see what he has.

Kruetz - level of play has definately slipped; still one of the best but not the top in the league anymore; he stays. Hopefully, if we strengthen the guard play around him, he will not try to over compensate for the crap we had.

Garza - Needs to be upgraded but better than Metcalf. May need to stay depending on how we upgrade the line. Would like to have him as the 3rd guard.

Miller - sucks and blows; he must go.

Best possible scenerio - Beekman plays the last 3 games and shows he is a starter going forward. He is the LG next yr. Bears sign Faneca and he takes over at RG. Draft a LT in round one and he starts next yr.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Peace :bears

Beekman obviously sucks since Anthony freaking Oakley is active while Beekman isn't. That says a lot to me about how Beekman has played in practice.

And if we got Faneca, which I doubt-have you seen how much money decent OL have been making in FA?, he would play LG. No way would you pay kazillions of dollars for a RG.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not gonna be one draft pick either. Its more than likely gonna be a first and a third

Well, since we get the Chargers' 3rd rounder this year, I wouldn't mind giving up a 1st and 3rd to get Anderson b/c then Anderson would really only be our 1st round pick since we'd have another 3rd. And, I really believe Anderson would be better than any other player we could draft with our 1st round pick, especially if that player is a QB (which I hope to God it's not if we do keep our #1).

Look at it this way:

1- Derek Anderson

2- Tony Hills or Chris Williams

3- Josh Barrett or other Safety

4- And so on...

I'd consider that a pretty solid day if you ask me. Of course, I'm one of the firm believers that we need to fix our o-line (first and foremost) before we do anything else. So, nabbing a veteran o-lineman (maybe one of the Colts' two guards) in FA plus getting a Tackle early in the draft would be a huge plus in turning around the O-Line.

Not to mention that were have to pay Anderson a ton of money. Anderson is a pipe dream at this point. IF Cleveland lets him get away there are gonna be a lot of suitors that are willing to spend a lot more than us. People have to realize we dont have a ton of money to play with. We know we are planning on extending Harris which is gonna cost a ton, then we have to decide on Briggs, Berrian, Grossman, set aside money for draft picks and money to fill the roster. We cant afford to go out and get the best qb and best o lineman in the offseason.

Not to mention that were have to pay Anderson a ton of money. Anderson is a pipe dream at this point. IF Cleveland lets him get away there are gonna be a lot of suitors that are willing to spend a lot more than us. People have to realize we dont have a ton of money to play with. We know we are planning on extending Harris which is gonna cost a ton, then we have to decide on Briggs, Berrian, Grossman, set aside money for draft picks and money to fill the roster. We cant afford to go out and get the best qb and best o lineman in the offseason.

He could very well get more than what a far more unproven QB in Schaub got from the Texans.

He could very well get more than what a far more unproven QB in Schaub got from the Texans.

I would just as soon see the Bears spend every dime they have in FA on the o line. A great o line that gives your QB the proper amount of time and who run blocks well is worth it's weight in gold. Frankly, I don't think we will be in that bad of shape defensively. Even if we lose Briggs, which I hope we don't but I think any good talent evaluating GM would tell you that your lines set the tone for everything else. No safety in the world will make up for a poor d line. Not Palamaulo, not Sanders, not Landry. Nobody. No WR will make up for a bad o line. Not Jerry Rice, not TO, not Randy Moss, nobody. Spend the money on the line in FA.

FA

1. Get the best 2-3 o linemen our money can buy.

2. Look for a serviceable RB, be prepared that we will be saying goodbye at some point to Benson.

3. Try to sign Berrian but DO NOT give him top ten money. He is simply not worth it. He's lazy, if he is not the primary, you CANNOT count on any blocks downfield from him. He doesn't get open enough and way way way too many drops.

4. Try to resign Briggs but be prepared that we have to sacrifice somewhere and the O line needs far outweight ANY defensive needs. If Angelo hadn't been such a pussy in promising Briggs we wouldn't tag him this year, we could have at least transition tagged him and let somebody else set the price for him and then all we'd need to do is match it if we could and it would be a done deal. PISS POOR job by Angelo on that one. I don't think Briggs or his Minion woulod have objected to the transition tag. They would not have been sacrificing anything. We threw it in needlessly.

5. Look at serviceable safeties. Ya never know whats gonna happen even if ya draft a good one. Mike Brown needs to stay. Even if it means we roll the dice. The cap number is friendly and I think he would rengotiate anyway.

6. Resign Rex. He has said all he wants is a chance to finish what he started, he knows he won't get big money so resign him and give him a shot with a decent o line. If we could get a great deal on a QB from elsewhere, that would be great but I don't see that happening.

Players to launch...

Archuletta...Bad move by Lovie Fix it now...

Walker.....5M roster bonus? No thank you. Bad move by Angelo..fix that too.

Garza, Miller, Mitchell..Launch em all.

Moose....Too old and slow and his hands aren't dependable. If he renegotiates a cap friendly deal, keep him but if not, launch him.

B Griese.. His money could help us sign o linemen. I like him but we need to hope Orton does well so we can keep he and Rex and draft a QB.

Draft needs

1. Safety

2. DT I know I know, but we gotta reinforce the d line too. I just think we could get great value this year.

3. LB We are gonna need to hit on this pick because unfortunately, this guy might be replacing Url OR Briggs. Ya never know. We might even need to move this to a 2. pick.

3. O line I think we have 2 picks don't we?

4. O line

5. WR

Sounds like alot of movement foir a team a yr removed from the SB but if we do get the o line of the future out of this, then we stand a chance at getting back to the SB and actually building for the future.

Other issues.

Assume we keep all these chowderheads we call coaches. We need to get a proper 2 TE formation installed and use the damn thing. If we lose Berrian, we are going to need to rely on Hass or Bradley. I would be nice to have a pair of dominant TEs as well. Get Hester properly entrenched in our offensive scheme. Get him ready for 20-25 plays per game on offense. Get him in the slot or wide with 2 TEs but get him out there. These guys need to drill this offense into his head. He is just NOT avery smart guy so they are going to have to figure a way to teach him the proper alignments, reads and make him an effective WR. That would really hep if we lose Berrian.

I'm convinced with the talent we do have at WR and TE, we could have a great passing attack if we could just upgrade the o line.

Well, since we get the Chargers' 3rd rounder this year, I wouldn't mind giving up a 1st and 3rd to get Anderson b/c then Anderson would really only be our 1st round pick since we'd have another 3rd. And, I really believe Anderson would be better than any other player we could draft with our 1st round pick, especially if that player is a QB (which I hope to God it's not if we do keep our #1).

The Bears are to some extent in the same boat where they were last year. Except for the D-Line and Linebacker positions, the more players the Bears get, the better. Everyone here knows that it's hard to project things perfectly in the NFL draft, or in any draft. Brady in the 7th, Briggs in the 3rd, yada yada yada. People have noted our specific needs on the O-Line, WR, QB, and Safety. The best way for the Bears to fill all of those needs is going to be to have a good draft and nail a few spots. Especially on the O-Line. If the Bears sign one and draft 2-3, then throw in a safety, a WR, and a 2nd or 3rd round QB into the mix, then they might be able to get lucky and actually have enough picks work out to turn the whole bloody thing around in a year or two.

Plus, I just think of all the money that Shaub got as part of the trade and he wasn't proven at all. Anderson has actually had a good season under his belt and I'd just imagine after he was traded he would ask for Romo money. That would be fine and dandy, but the Bears have major issues on the oline and at safety and they need to correct those before they can contend (and that means they need to invest money and draft picks in those areas, not at QB, at least not for the time being).

I would just as soon see the Bears spend every dime they have in FA on the o line. A great o line that gives your QB the proper amount of time and who run blocks well is worth it's weight in gold. Frankly, I don't think we will be in that bad of shape defensively. Even if we lose Briggs, which I hope we don't but I think any good talent evaluating GM would tell you that your lines set the tone for everything else. No safety in the world will make up for a poor d line. Not Palamaulo, not Sanders, not Landry. Nobody. No WR will make up for a bad o line. Not Jerry Rice, not TO, not Randy Moss, nobody. Spend the money on the line in FA.

FA

1. Get the best 2-3 o linemen our money can buy.

2. Look for a serviceable RB, be prepared that we will be saying goodbye at some point to Benson.

3. Try to sign Berrian but DO NOT give him top ten money. He is simply not worth it. He's lazy, if he is not the primary, you CANNOT count on any blocks downfield from him. He doesn't get open enough and way way way too many drops.

4. Try to resign Briggs but be prepared that we have to sacrifice somewhere and the O line needs far outweight ANY defensive needs. If Angelo hadn't been such a pussy in promising Briggs we wouldn't tag him this year, we could have at least transition tagged him and let somebody else set the price for him and then all we'd need to do is match it if we could and it would be a done deal. PISS POOR job by Angelo on that one. I don't think Briggs or his Minion woulod have objected to the transition tag. They would not have been sacrificing anything. We threw it in needlessly.

5. Look at serviceable safeties. Ya never know whats gonna happen even if ya draft a good one. Mike Brown needs to stay. Even if it means we roll the dice. The cap number is friendly and I think he would rengotiate anyway.

6. Resign Rex. He has said all he wants is a chance to finish what he started, he knows he won't get big money so resign him and give him a shot with a decent o line. If we could get a great deal on a QB from elsewhere, that would be great but I don't see that happening.

Players to launch...

Archuletta...Bad move by Lovie Fix it now...

Walker.....5M roster bonus? No thank you. Bad move by Angelo..fix that too.

Garza, Miller, Mitchell..Launch em all.

Moose....Too old and slow and his hands aren't dependable. If he renegotiates a cap friendly deal, keep him but if not, launch him.

B Griese.. His money could help us sign o linemen. I like him but we need to hope Orton does well so we can keep he and Rex and draft a QB.

Draft needs

1. Safety

2. DT I know I know, but we gotta reinforce the d line too. I just think we could get great value this year.

3. LB We are gonna need to hit on this pick because unfortunately, this guy might be replacing Url OR Briggs. Ya never know. We might even need to move this to a 2. pick.

3. O line I think we have 2 picks don't we?

4. O line

5. WR

Sounds like alot of movement foir a team a yr removed from the SB but if we do get the o line of the future out of this, then we stand a chance at getting back to the SB and actually building for the future.

Other issues.

Assume we keep all these chowderheads we call coaches. We need to get a proper 2 TE formation installed and use the damn thing. If we lose Berrian, we are going to need to rely on Hass or Bradley. I would be nice to have a pair of dominant TEs as well. Get Hester properly entrenched in our offensive scheme. Get him ready for 20-25 plays per game on offense. Get him in the slot or wide with 2 TEs but get him out there. These guys need to drill this offense into his head. He is just NOT avery smart guy so they are going to have to figure a way to teach him the proper alignments, reads and make him an effective WR. That would really hep if we lose Berrian.

I'm convinced with the talent we do have at WR and TE, we could have a great passing attack if we could just upgrade the o line.

Good post. For the most part I would be totally down with your off-season plan because it strengthens the trenches (ie both lines) and it also should give the Bears the ability to have an improved line one year from now and quite possibly one of the strongest line's in football the years following that (as the draft picks develop and slide in). The one thing I am scared to death of is the WR position would be awful. You have the potential of losing Moose and BB without adding one impact WR to replace them. This means whoever the QB is will be using Mark Bradle and Rashied Davis as the 1-2 with the team also putting a major reliance on Devin Hester being a full time WR by next year (which I think, given his track record of really taking a long time to develop at any one position, is just unrealistic).

If the Bears kept BB/Mush than I would be on board with your plan (cut down on one of the FA lineman to go that route and try to sign Faneca, maybe another olineman if there is a solid starter out there for a good value, draft a tackle early and go from there).

Good post. For the most part I would be totally down with your off-season plan because it strengthens the trenches (ie both lines) and it also should give the Bears the ability to have an improved line one year from now and quite possibly one of the strongest line's in football the years following that (as the draft picks develop and slide in). The one thing I am scared to death of is the WR position would be awful. You have the potential of losing Moose and BB without adding one impact WR to replace them. This means whoever the QB is will be using Mark Bradle and Rashied Davis as the 1-2 with the team also putting a major reliance on Devin Hester being a full time WR by next year (which I think, given his track record of really taking a long time to develop at any one position, is just unrealistic).

If the Bears kept BB/Mush than I would be on board with your plan (cut down on one of the FA lineman to go that route and try to sign Faneca, maybe another olineman if there is a solid starter out there for a good value, draft a tackle early and go from there).

They will also have Hass but I know it's scary and that's why I think we could manage to redo Mooses deal and let Berrian go. I just think with the money it will take to sign Berrian, he's just not going to add enough value. What good would Randy Moss or TO do if our QB can't get the ball off to them? I know somewhere there is middle ground. I just hope Angelo can find it.

Plus, I just think of all the money that Shaub got as part of the trade and he wasn't proven at all. Anderson has actually had a good season under his belt and I'd just imagine after he was traded he would ask for Romo money. That would be fine and dandy, but the Bears have major issues on the oline and at safety and they need to correct those before they can contend (and that means they need to invest money and draft picks in those areas, not at QB, at least not for the time being).

LOL. that's what I was trying to get at.

Frankly, until we get our OL in order, I can not believe any quality QB would agree to come here to play, it would be a career suicide move!!

Completely agree and that is why I will be completely ticked off if the Bears don't make a massive attempt to completely redo the offensive line this off-season (both with cash in FA and with talent in the draft).

Just to bring up the idea about signing Faneca... the only reason why he wont cost 7 years at 49 mil is because he is 32. I see him getting at least 5 years at 30 million... Call me crazy, but I stay away from Faneca mainly because he is only going to get worse.

If I go after an OLineman in this years free agent class, it's Trevelle Wharton. The Panthers can't afford to keep him, and I don't expect to see him making a ridiculous amount but rather just get a nice payday. Plus, I'd move him to LG and still draft a LT and move Tait to RT. I don't like the idea of 6'4" tackles, and I think he would be a good fit at guard for us.