Trade Fields?

AZ54

Just checking the water temperature.  First off before I get into this.... I do not believe WE are sellers, there is no sign in the front yard.   However, that doesn't mean a buyer (other teams) wouldn't try to convince us to become one.  Would you trade Fields before the deadline 31 Oct?   If so, what compensation would it take to sway you to close the deal?   I bring this up because I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears get some teams quietly asking if they'd consider a deal.    

If someone offered a 1st and more I'd have to listen.  Whatever we may think of Bagent if he's middle of the road, which is where Fields might end up as a QB, then we can do a lot with 3 first round picks.   They might be 3 top 15 picks.   Take another shot on a QB early?   If Bagent seems ok build the roster around him for now (2024) and go all-in the next year (2025) if needed to compliment the QB-ready roster.  

What about the Commanders who he lit up for 4 TDs a couple weeks ago?  Toss in Chase Young plus a 1st?   Since Chase is essentially a FA after the season that's something positive for us but we still have to pay him and on a complex contract calculation.   Is that a better option for them versus losing Chase after the season and having a  top 15 pick?    The cost to move up and get a top QB from outside the top 10 is usually prohibitive.  

6 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Just checking the water temperature.  First off before I get into this.... I do not believe WE are sellers, there is no sign in the front yard.   However, that doesn't mean a buyer (other teams) wouldn't try to convince us to become one.  Would you trade Fields before the deadline 31 Oct?   If so, what compensation would it take to sway you to close the deal?   I bring this up because I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears get some teams quietly asking if they'd consider a deal.    

If someone offered a 1st and more I'd have to listen.  Whatever we may think of Bagent if he's middle of the road, which is where Fields might end up as a QB, then we can do a lot with 3 first round picks.   They might be 3 top 15 picks.   Take another shot on a QB early?   If Bagent seems ok build the roster around him for now (2024) and go all-in the next year (2025) if needed to compliment the QB-ready roster.  

What about the Commanders who he lit up for 4 TDs a couple weeks ago?  Toss in Chase Young plus a 1st?   Since Chase is essentially a FA after the season that's something positive for us but we still have to pay him and on a complex contract calculation.   Is that a better option for them versus losing Chase after the season and having a  top 15 pick?    The cost to move up and get a top QB from outside the top 10 is usually prohibitive.  

I  think  if he wasn't hurt and was able to the  play  the 2 games well, A high pick was up for discussion but then we might be thinking about keeping him. It would have to be a team that could make the playoffs in need of a QB. Jets? SF? Prudy hasn't been looking good lately and they have a coach that could do a offense to suit Fields. Washington, with reasons you stated, and NE. Belichick has the ego to think he could turn Fields around and the need. The only way you get a #1 is if two teams run up the cost. The big stumbling block is he has to get paid in 2025 and the need to win now. If you're going to get a Chase Young back , I doubt they offer a # 1 back also. Would the new owner want make a splash? Maybe

I don't know what Fields' trade value is but we at least have a floor (a 4th rounder for Lance). I doubt he gets a first, so it seems to be a 2nd - 3rd rounder. If you are talking professional player swaps, it is possible, but that traded player would have to be worth a 2nd or 3rd rounder as well. 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

I think more realistically would be to trade Justin during the draft, more likely to have more value.

It depends. If you trade at the deadline, you basically get an extra 1/2 of season worth of use and eval.

If some team thinks he is the guy, you don't wait to get him. If teams believe the Bears will draft a QB, Fields value near the draft would be at its lowest in my opinion, but I could be wrong.

I think my answer is obvious but I'll say it anyhow, No.  Not at least right now.  As others have mentioned what value does he have as of this moment?  I'd say little.  I agree that this season was his chance to prove himself. At this point it may be for the Bears or it could be for another team, I think we owe him that much. After all suddenly the sketchier parts of team (defensive secondary and oline) are starting to look more legit.  Let's face it, when the season began Justin wasn't the only one that was sucking in his play.  In fact an argument could be made that he improved dramatically for both the Denver and Washington games and its taken a few more weeks for the aforementioned parts of the team to jell.  The Vikings game?  Some might say he was concussed and perhaps that's why he played slow?  Who knows? But really after seeing Kirk Cousins play in that game then one week later put on a show against SF to the tune of 370 (or so) yards then its easy to say QBs can easily have Jekyll and Hyde moments. 

So my question is, what do you do if you trade Justin now (or before the deadline)?  What if Bagent hit his wall last week and that performance is as good as it gets? Do you go with Peterman and say 'oh well'?  Honestly I'm still not all that enthused as much by the upcoming QB draft class.  The leading "stars", Williams and Maye are fading quick. Sure Williams has won the Heisman but so has RGIII, Chris Weinke, Matt Leinart and Tim Tebow.  Williams is proving he can't perform (as well) against tougher opponents.  And Maye?  I mean really.  If we go to the end of the season and still plan on dumping Justin the question still remains.  Who we gonna draft to take over for him?  

32 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I think my answer is obvious but I'll say it anyhow, No.  Not at least right now.  As others have mentioned what value does he have as of this moment?  I'd say little.  I agree that this season was his chance to prove himself. At this point it may be for the Bears or it could be for another team, I think we owe him that much. After all suddenly the sketchier parts of team (defensive secondary and oline) are starting to look more legit.  Let's face it, when the season began Justin wasn't the only one that was sucking in his play.  In fact an argument could be made that he improved dramatically for both the Denver and Washington games and its taken a few more weeks for the aforementioned parts of the team to jell.  The Vikings game?  Some might say he was concussed and perhaps that's why he played slow?  Who knows? But really after seeing Kirk Cousins play in that game then one week later put on a show against SF to the tune of 370 (or so) yards then its easy to say QBs can easily have Jekyll and Hyde moments. 

So my question is, what do you do if you trade Justin now (or before the deadline)?  What if Bagent hit his wall last week and that performance is as good as it gets? Do you go with Peterman and say 'oh well'?  Honestly I'm still not all that enthused as much by the upcoming QB draft class.  The leading "stars", Williams and Maye are fading quick. Sure Williams has won the Heisman but so has RGIII, Chris Weinke, Matt Leinart and Tim Tebow.  Williams is proving he can't perform (as well) against tougher opponents.  And Maye?  I mean really.  If we go to the end of the season and still plan on dumping Justin the question still remains.  Who we gonna draft to take over for him?  

I think Bagent did good with what he had.  He was able to move the chains but he didn't light it up either.  The Bears line played well and the running game was strong.  If Fields played that game and put up 250 and a TD, we would hear how the Raiders had a back up QB and our oline played great. I know Bear fans are crushed and want to move on.  I am still holding out that he can be our guy though.  He is the easiest path to being a great team for many years if he can just overcome the bad that etches our memory.  However the Bears and Fields go, it is out of our hands and up to fate. 

21 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Think of the Bears talk if we trade him  (no way your getting a #1 right now) and he ends up balling out. Then we draft a generational QB that turns into Zach Wilson or Trey Lance. Then Bagent has a Mac Jones type of career. Everyone gets fired.

That's why I'm still of the opinion a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.  Fields doesn't cost us much to retain and see if the light does come on.   If Bagent is the guy then he has to beat out Fields and competition should bring out the best in both, whatever that may be.

OTOH if I got a Godfather type offer, and if the team is feeling decent about Bagent's chances long term, I'd have to say yes and take my chances on either of the top 2 QBs.   There's always far more than we know that they know from the meeting rooms and practices.   I keep in mind there are no guarantees in the draft either so we could be stuck at pick 3 and watch those QBs go 1/2 overall.  That risk is what drives the sales price up now.  

Zach Wilson and Trey Lance were never labelled generational.  Neither was Fields.  In the last fifteen years, only Andrew Luck and Trevor Lawrence got that label.  This year, the experts are saying Williams and Maye.  Fields has had three years to improve his mechanics and release time.  Fail.  So what if he can run and his teammates like him.  Guess what? They like winning more.  What you saw with Bagent is what you are going to get.  Preparedness, moxy, quick release, accuracy and leadership.  Fields can't even show a sense of urgency, because he is too damn cool.

19 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Zach Wilson and Trey Lance were never labelled generational.  Neither was Fields.  In the last fifteen years, only Andrew Luck and Trevor Lawrence got that label.  This year, the experts are saying Williams and Maye.  Fields has had three years to improve his mechanics and release time.  Fail.  So what if he can run and his teammates like him.  Guess what? They like winning more.  What you saw with Bagent is what you are going to get.  Preparedness, moxy, quick release, accuracy and leadership.  Fields can't even show a sense of urgency, because he is too damn cool.

The point I was trying to make is high picked QBs rarely work out but until the season is over and I watch tape and read opinions on the top 2 QBs, Im going to wait on all the excitement of Luck and Lawrence  lookalikes. Still have more tape to make for them to prove that. 

15 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

At this point we need to see Bagent work more of the field.  I hope the first game gives the coaches the confidence to call more plays in the middle/intermediate area and even a deep throw or two.  The Chargers have a decent pass rush but they are the physical type of rush for which our OTs are best suited to play against.    Chargers are dead last in defense yards/attempt in the NFL and among the worst giving up 40% of 1st downs.  (I'm not sure how that last one is calculated - but the Bears 1st down stat is 35% and I know what that looks like in a game).   They've also given up more yards on defense than we have yet have played 6 games to our 7.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2023/opp.htm#all_passing

Did-you-know-this:  The Bears are top 5 in rushing defense this season (yds/game), and #2 in yards/rush.  Of course being bottom 5 in pass defense means teams might prefer to throw vs. run.   However,  we are just below median for attempts faced per game so teams have not completely abandoned the run against us but less attempts is a factor.   Job 1 this offseason was improving the run defense so even though it hasn't always been pretty I'd have to say we've done that so far.  Especially when you factor in the injuries in the secondary.      

10 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

So what's your point?

Talking heads like Mel Kiper and whomever these experts are tend to be off a lot of the times with their predictions. Whatever does “generational” talent mean?  What if Purdy or even Bagent turn out to be the next best thing since Brady?  Why weren’t they given that label?  Hell why wasn’t Brady?