Chase Young Trade Rumors

AZ54

6 minutes ago, adam said:

That would make the pick value difference of a late 2nd rounder, which would be better for the Bears. However, I doubt they get anything higher than a 4th back if they only give up a 2nd (I could be wrong, but I am sure there will be other teams willing to give up a 2nd straight up for Young).

I agree with that, rumors said they were offered a 3rd.

21 minutes ago, adam said:

That would make the pick value difference of a late 2nd rounder, which would be better for the Bears. However, I doubt they get anything higher than a 4th back if they only give up a 2nd (I could be wrong, but I am sure there will be other teams willing to give up a 2nd straight up for Young).

I agree with that, rumors said they were offered a 3rd.

My guess is Poles didn't want to pay a guy who spends so much time on the sidelines in street clothes a 4 year contract worth over 100 million, with big $$$ guaranteed, which is what I suspect Chase will be looking for. If we were SB contenders this year, I'd be pissed off for passing on him. However, under the circumstances, I'd prefer to wait and not do another "Claypool" mistake. 

39 minutes ago, Pixote said:

My guess is Poles didn't want to pay a guy who spends so much time on the sidelines in street clothes a 4 year contract worth over 100 million, with big $$$ guaranteed, which is what I suspect Chase will be looking for. If we were SB contenders this year, I'd be pissed off for passing on him. However, under the circumstances, I'd prefer to wait and not do another "Claypool" mistake. 

This is a fair point. The floor in Yoing given his injury issues is lower than with Sweat. I’m not arguing Sweat isn’t a good player, he is and very all around. I think he is a slightly better Alex Brown. That is a good player and an upgrade no doubt. He is also a very complete end. But a high 2nd rounder is a done - it affords you a shot at a good player at a cheap cost for a few years. 

42 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I agree entirely.

56 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Wtf - Chase Young for 3rd rounder. I know injury issues - he is younger and more explosive. Wow. Big whiff by Poles. 

Yeah that makes no sense to me.   Mostly because Wash had no reason to trade both players.  The fact they got rid of Sweat and still came back to unload Young is suspicious with his injury history.  

We gave up too much for Sweat, a player who has never had double digit sacks.  Then again if he had then we’d have had to give up a first round pick. 

Chase is the better pass rusher but Sweat is the better DE and the stats back it up.  32 tackles to 15.   10 TFL to 6.    6.5 sacks to 5.  Jurors Leah the other way with Young in the lead 9 to 5 but Sweat has 6 knock downs to 3.    Plus Young has more snaps.   The question is will Young improve his run defense over time?    

Keep in mind that Jaylon isnt gone either. He wants more money than we want to pay him, so we told him to go test the market. If there is no onw willing to pay him that much, then we might sign him to a more cap friendly deal, or franchise him.

19 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Keep in mind that Jaylon isnt gone either. He wants more money than we want to pay him, so we told him to go test the market. If there is no onw willing to pay him that much, then we might sign him to a more cap friendly deal, or franchise him.

I am glad they are keeping Jaylon. That makes me happy. Pay him and Sweat - let’s see Stevenson and Gordon keep growing, plus smith has been solid. And than let’s hope Brisker can stay healthy going forward and that is a nice secondary. Hicks is solid plus add a safety in draft and I like it. Hopefully young dts develop and at some point add some more de help. 

Packers just traded their CB Rasul Douglas to the Bills. Douglas has 10 interceptions in 36 starts, but didn't garner squat in a trade. Bills get Douglas and and a 5th rd pick, Green Bay gets a 3rd round pick. I can't see any team giving the Bears more for JJ than GB got for Douglas. No way do we give him away for that type of return unless Poles is positive he will walk in FA with no compensation (we never get comp picks).

23 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I am glad they are keeping Jaylon. That makes me happy. Pay him and Sweat - let’s see Stevenson and Gordon keep growing, plus smith has been solid. And than let’s hope Brisker can stay healthy going forward and that is a nice secondary. Hicks is solid plus add a safety in draft and I like it. Hopefully young dts develop and at some point add some more de help. 

Im not sure we should pay JJ the blockbuster deal. At the right price he's worth it, but not at ANY price, as the market just told JJ directly.

If we can franchise him, while we have a couple years to replace him, thats the path to be a renewable good team. It will mean we move on from good players a year early, but it's how to build a sustainable winner.

This move tells me they plan on winning next year. The team is better today than one week ago, I dont think that's a negative. He will trade for more picks, you add a OC, another edge, Marvin Harrison, and another Safety.

2 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Yeah that makes no sense to me.   Mostly because Wash had no reason to trade both players.  The fact they got rid of Sweat and still came back to unload Young is suspicious with his injury history.  

We gave up too much for Sweat, a player who has never had double digit sacks.  Then again if he had then we’d have had to give up a first round pick. 

Chase is the better pass rusher but Sweat is the better DE and the stats back it up.  32 tackles to 15.   10 TFL to 6.    6.5 sacks to 5.  Jurors Leah the other way with Young in the lead 9 to 5 but Sweat has 6 knock downs to 3.    Plus Young has more snaps.   The question is will Young improve his run defense over time?    

Also Sweat has 27 pressures which is a great stat. 

49 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Jaylon and Montez are the perfect Transition and Franchise candidates if they prove hard to sign.

Agree on Jaylon, but theres no way the Bears made this trade without a deal in place already with Sweat. it will be announced hours after he passes his physical.

And I think the value of Sweat's deal vs what Young gets in SF will explain the disparity in picks traded, and why we made the choice we did.

5 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Agree on Jaylon, but theres no way the Bears made this trade without a deal in place already with Sweat. it will be announced hours after he passes his physical.

And I think the value of Sweat's deal vs what Young gets in SF will explain the disparity in picks traded, and why we made the choice we did.

I think Chase Young is at a minimum just a rental for a hopeful Superbowl run this year and this likely means Purdy isn't their QB of the future.   As of now they have just $1.4mil in space next year with almost nobody of note they can cut without a massive dead money hit.  Cutting Randy Gregory in 2024 will free up $14mil and so, if they want to find a way, they could squeeze in a backloaded deal in for Young next year.   But there'd be no big spending on a QB in the near future. 

2025 is tight for them too.  With only 36 players under contract in 2025 and just $45mil in cap, tons of big dead money deals, they can't likely add a big deal for Purdy and Young.   Bridge QBs like JimmyG get around $30mil/yr so they might get Purdy for that.  So swing for the fences on a DE and if it works, fit him in for a good 2-3 years of playoff runs.   

8 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I think Chase Young is at a minimum just a rental for a hopeful Superbowl run this year and this likely means Purdy isn't their QB of the future.   As of now they have just $1.4mil in space next year with almost nobody of note they can cut without a massive dead money hit.  Cutting Randy Gregory in 2024 will free up $14mil and so, if they want to find a way, they could squeeze in a backloaded deal in for Young next year.   But there'd be no big spending on a QB in the near future. 

2025 is tight for them too.  With only 36 players under contract in 2025 and just $45mil in cap, tons of big dead money deals, they can't likely add a big deal for Purdy and Young.   Bridge QBs like JimmyG get around $30mil/yr so they might get Purdy for that.  So swing for the fences on a DE and if it works, fit him in for a good 2-3 years of playoff runs.   

If Chase Young plays well, he will seek the top dollars for an edge rusher. That would be 25+. We can probably get Sweat sighed in the 20-22 range. On the Washington DL he was 4th on the pecking order. Here he will be the top dog. No reason to not expect Poles doesnt get him resigned before the end of the year. Having the highest cap going into next year puts us in the position to sign players other teams cant.