Week 10 Official Game Thread - TNF - CAR @ CHI (Loser Bowl 2023)

adam

This felt like the Texans game last year. The Bears were playing a terrible team and needed a Roquan Smith INT to seal the win. It always felt like the Bears were one play away from losing this game.

It is so hard to evaluate the team against a team like that, on a Thursday no less, and with a rookie QB. All I know is Carolina will have a new HC and QB by the time they are competing for anything.

I thought the defense played better, but I still do not like the soft zone. Sweat looks legit, he was getting constant pressure which opened it up for others, exactly what he is getting paid to do. 

After seeing Bagent look less and less confident every game, it is clear that Getsy and the entire coaching staff need to go. The offense just looks so disjointed. No identity.

Now the Bears get another mini-bye and 10 days rest before the Lions. I am sure Fields will be back for that one.

Are we really sure Bagent's loss of confidence is a result of coaching, or is it possible this young man has found the NFL far more intimidating than the teams he played against for 5 years prior to going undrafted, teams that were not much more talented than top level high school programs? 

Hey, I love the kid, and hope he has a long career in the NFL. However, I see him as a career backup QB and not as a full-time starter.

28 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I don't think Bagent had lost confidence.  He was probably told that he didn't have to push anything to win this game.

After so many TOs the week before, they really played it cautious with Bagent. I too doubt that he lost confidence, he's still a rookie and this is the big time and he lacks experience, but he is getting it now and I like how he has responded.

I think Bagent's head is fine. He is definitely learning what is Ok to throw and what isnt - normal rookie learning curve there. But he has tons of confidence, and knows who and where he is.

But yes, the staff called a VERY conservative game. They are trying to win from the sidelines despite the players, instead of creating a situation where the players they have can do what they do well and win it for themselves. And the results are obvious. A close barely-win against the worst team in the league. It should have been 28-13 at least.

7 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

This 100%

I think the coaching staff told him  whatever he does in  the game ,don't throw any interceptions. That's why he regressed. It just shows how much experience he still needs. In  a few years he may develop in to a good QB but he has a long way to go.

10 hours ago, ChileBear said:

After so many TOs the week before, they really played it cautious with Bagent. I too doubt that he lost confidence, he's still a rookie and this is the big time and he lacks experience, but he is getting it now and I like how he has responded.

I see plenty of times where  Bagent had opportunities to make big plays and he chose other options.