Week 15 Official Game Thread - Bears at Browns, DEC 17th, 12pm, FOX, CHI +3, O/U 37

adam

5 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

youre right. its not easy. its not what you train for or draw up in practice. its totally random and chaotic.

but it is part of that invisible thing about being a winner. the great ones all find a way to snag that ball 10/10 times.

If he made a decent block earlier we aren’t even talking about it. Mooney just hasn’t been the same this year. Part of that is Fields just seems off hitting him - part of that is he probably has been impacted by not having a healthy offseason. Or worse the injury he suffered last season took away his special trait his elite quickness and now he just isn’t the same guy. 

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

If he made a decent block earlier we aren’t even talking about it. Mooney just hasn’t been the same this year. Part of that is Fields just seems off hitting him - part of that is he probably has been impacted by not having a healthy offseason. Or worse the injury he suffered last season took away his special trait his elite quickness and now he just isn’t the same guy. 

Mooney is better than a lot of 2nd string WRs in the league. Youre right hes lost a step too.

Im just saying, there are some players who are winners. it transcends their physical abilities.

For example, Michael Jordan was a great basketball player. We have stats on him as a shooter etc over his career. We know exactly how good he was. That's his baseline.

But when it was a final shot to win the game, his numbers go UP. he is better than himself when it matters. That's a winner.

They find crazy ways if necessary when it matters most.

I promise you Chris Carter would have caught that. Deion Sanders would have caught it. DJ Moore would have caught it.

Velus Jones didnt catch it earlier this year.

Mooney is just a regular player.

5 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Mooney is better than a lot of 2nd string WRs in the league. Youre right hes lost a step too.

Im just saying, there are some players who are winners. it transcends their physical abilities.

For example, Michael Jordan was a great basketball player. We have stats on him as a shooter etc over his career. We know exactly how good he was. That's his baseline.

But when it was a final shot to win the game, his numbers go UP. he is better than himself when it matters. That's a winner.

They find crazy ways if necessary when it matters most.

I promise you Chris Carter would have caught that. Deion Sanders would have caught it. DJ Moore would have caught it.

Velus Jones didnt catch it earlier this year.

Mooney is just a regular player.

With his overall blocking, he is subpar for me. For whatever reason, he looks nothing like the WR we saw last year. He is probably avoiding contact so he doesn't get injured in a contract year. 

You have to catch that ball, that was not a finger tip catch or contested. Go look at Adam Hoge's tweet with the Mooney pic, he is laying on his back with the ball in his hands on his chest. All he has to do is clamp it. 

19 minutes ago, adam said:

With his overall blocking, he is subpar for me. For whatever reason, he looks nothing like the WR we saw last year. He is probably avoiding contact so he doesn't get injured in a contract year. 

You have to catch that ball, that was not a finger tip catch or contested. Go look at Adam Hoge's tweet with the Mooney pic, he is laying on his back with the ball in his hands on his chest. All he has to do is clamp it. 

just like Velus earlier in the year.

5 minutes ago, adam said:

Fields has the 3rd worst QB Rating this week (only Wilson and Siemian) and had a worse game than Trubisky, Levis, DeVito, Ridder, Stick, O'Connell, Zappe, and Browning. 

Hero ball might beat the lesser teams, but when you face a top defensive line, the running doesn't work. Fields' style of football can never win through the playoffs.

If he developed a west coast pocket style ability on top of the running, he could be unstoppable. But he hasnt. ANd he had his chances to show it.

13 minutes ago, adam said:

MIN and GB both lost too. If Mooney holds on, what a totally different story this would be. Now it's just the same ole shit.

Mooney, Tonyan, Taylor (muff), kick a FG before half....

There are a few things that would change the narrative.  Sad part is, the Bears are still "in the hunt" for the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Mooney, Tonyan, Taylor (muff), kick a FG before half....

There are a few things that would change the narrative.  Sad part is, the Bears are still "in the hunt" for the playoffs.

I thought we were done mathematically if we lost today, but I havent really followed it that closely. Thats a very sad fact indeed.

NFL is built on hopium. Bears need a solid dose of reality to wake up and take the opportunity before them!

If we get new coaches and draft a rookie QB in the first round, I remain very optimistic about our future as early as next year. There is a lot to complain about here, but there is a lot to build on too - Poles has been a total bright spot.

Fields still holding onto the ball too long.  Not capable of quick reads.  But Getsy is also a huge part of the problem.  These guys line up with 10 seconds or less on the play clock on most plays.  No chance to look over the D when that’s the case.  And he’s the least creative O Coordinator I’ve seen in a long time.  When the team succeeds it’s always individual effort by someone overcoming the stupid play calls he’s made.   

What that means for Fields, who I desperately want to see succeed, I don’t know.  

can you imagine any OC, even just a decent one, wanting to come here on the last year of Eberflus' contract?

And are we really going to draft a rookie QB and then align his first year of NFL learning with the last year of the coaching staff's contract?

You pretty much have to reset them all together or it's the same old Bears schedule over and over again with overlapping windows that never work out.

We need to stop trying to salvage something from the fire, and just start over with everything new together.

18 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

can you imagine any OC, even just a decent one, wanting to come here on the last year of Eberflus' contract?

And are we really going to draft a rookie QB and then align his first year of NFL learning with the last year of the coaching staff's contract?

You pretty much have to reset them all together or it's the same old Bears schedule over and over again with overlapping windows that never work out.

We need to stop trying to salvage something from the fire, and just start over with everything new together.

Warren and Poles can give the Bear fans a Christmas present by firing Getsy on Christmas Day.  

Flus can stay the rest of the season but he needs to go too.  I am tired of not spending on the best coaching.  That does not count against the cap so I don't know why they cannot buy the best.

37 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I am tired of not spending on the best coaching.  That does not count against the cap so I don't know why they cannot buy the best.

amen - I think the standard answer has been that the McCaskeys dont want any big personalities as head coach after Ditka.

Of course the best coaches often have big personalities.

I think this, maybe more than anywhere else, is where Kevin Warren may change the Halas Hall curse. *IF* he can be a buffer and tell ownership to stay out of it, and hire the best, regardless of temperament and corporate ass kissing, regardless of HR suitability, then we may be able to have a better chance of getting the right guy in here.

Now I don't really know Warren, so i dunno if this is how he is or if he will value the same good boy coaches that the McCaskeys have?

Lovie was probably the closest thing we've had to an alpha coach since Ditka. But he was almost Belichick style mute at press conferences, and so he didnt make a lot of waves either. I dont recall him calling out the team in press conferences either.

And Im not saying that a good coach has to be a jerk either. Im just saying when you limit the pool for some (any) reason, you get fewer good choices as a result.

I want a tough SOB tho. I admit it. The defense and OL are ready for it.

8 minutes ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

This game really highlighted the problem with Fields. He has no quick game. Slow processors against teams that can generate consistent pressure is a recipe for disaster. 

When his legs are no longer the security blanket they used to be (unless he's playing DET), his weaknesses as a passer are magnified. 

and teams have an easy blueprint to shut the Bears down, look at the MIN games too. When there is constant pressure, Fields still doesnt pull the trigger.

8 minutes ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

This game really highlighted the problem with Fields. He has no quick game. Slow processors against teams that can generate consistent pressure is a recipe for disaster. 

When his legs are no longer the security blanket they used to be (unless he's playing DET), his weaknesses as a passer are magnified. 

exactly - and he actually has sped up his reads - even in this game he did better at that than he had before a couple weeks ago. And even still your point is true. Patting the ball, waiting.

And against the good defenses, youre not gonna be able to run and make miracles. Not deep in the playoffs.

• adam unfeatured and unpinned this topic