My draft addiction (Keep JF1 edition)

killakrzydav

7 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Trade down with ARZ... it says a 2024 1st from Arz, but it is a 2025 1st. 

This draft addresses all needs WR1, LT, QB, DE, 3T, 2 FS/SS, C, and RG with a 2025 1st. Zinter will be redshirt but is a top G if healthy.

Screenshot_20231220_003700_Gallery.jpg

I think the key to all of these mock drafts is everyone is addressing the OL and DL, still getting MHJ and a QB prospect. I think that is exactly what will happen.  Their big board always has Zak Zinter going late and no way he lasts that long. I have never had JPJ last that late either in mine.

45 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

In a keep Fields thread, I think this checks a lot of boxes.  Was thinking we could convert Johnny Wilson to a move TE.  Between he and Lachey, we can send Tonyan to BFE...

Screenshot_20231227_144056_Chrome.jpg

I am in the "Keep Fields" camp, but with the side that we draft a QB to develop behind him, "Just in case".

For that reason, I love your draft with one change.

Like most, I figure Williams, Maye, and MHJ will be the first three off the board. Not sure which order, but still...

That would leave Daniels at 4, who I feel might be the best QB in the draft. So I would go with him at #4.

18 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I am in the "Keep Fields" camp, but with the side that we draft a QB to develop behind him, "Just in case".

Like most, I figure Williams, Maye, and MHJ will be the first three off the board. Not sure which order, but still...

That would leave Daniels at 4, who I feel might be the best QB in the draft. So I would go with him at #4.

I think we agree. I like Daniels, and if he can be had with the second of our first rounders that would be ideal. That would be my first choice of draft outcomes.

Unfortunately, because weve been winning games, we wont be picking #4 anymore though.

Also, to those who want to wait for a second round QB, isn't Bagent already that guy?

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

In a keep Fields thread, I think this checks a lot of boxes.  Was thinking we could convert Johnny Wilson to a move TE.  Between he and Lachey, we can send Tonyan to BFE...

Screenshot_20231227_144056_Chrome.jpg

If we could get 10 players in the first 105 picks that would be awesome. Isnt Williams and Newton both 3 Ts? Ohio State has 2 DTs not sure which one is which. 

42 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I think we agree. I like Daniels, and if he can be had with the second of our first rounders that would be ideal. That would be my first choice of draft outcomes.

Unfortunately, because weve been winning games, we wont be picking #4 anymore though.

Also, to those who want to wait for a second round QB, isn't Bagent already that guy?

I think the #4 in his draft was obtained in a trade down

35 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I think the #4 in his draft was obtained in a trade down

ah, yes, youre right - sorry I missed that. Still I agree. I would love to get something for the #1 pick and still end up with one of the good QBs. Right now I like Daniels and Penix, but i need to do a lot more work yet. Maybe Ill love Caleb Williams, but right now, i definitely dont.

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

I could have drafted JJ McCarthy at 16 and Sanders or Penix on the second.  I got greedy, plus I really like Bagent.

Now that #1 overall is secured I've started some scouting.  I have man crushes on 3 players for top 10ish.  We need one of these 3 and 2 would be outstanding.  

MHJr (nothing needs to be said)

Malik Nabers who I feel is very similar athletically to DJ Moore with his quickness in/out of cuts.  WRs that can consistently win out of their break is a huge plus for a QB.  I'd like 2 please.  We'll add a 3rd WR later in this draft or via FA.  

Dallas Turner.  Last year he didn't impress but this year he's playing with length and strength to compress the pocket but also has the bend and speed to get around the corner.  Not only that, he can get off blocks to chase down the play (i.e. when QB scrambles).  He'd look fantastic opposite of Sweat with a developing Dexter pushing up the middle.     

As far as safeties go I like Tyler Nubin out of Minn.   There are 3 good safety candidates in the early 2nd Rd as of now, he's one of them depending on where you look.  Van Pran at C makes a ton of sense but I also like the center from Oregon:  Jackson Powers-Johnson as backup plan.   

Naturally we have a long way to go in the draft process but my takeways from initial mocks is that if we accumulate a lot of top 100 picks then.   1)  We're going to have much better depth in 2024     and 2) we're going to start cutting some names we've relied on in the last year or two.    That's even without adding in FA.  I'm all for keeping Fields and really excited to see the roster in 2024.    

1 hour ago, 50england50 said:

If no one offers a reasonable package for the number 1 pick would anyone take Williams and have him sit behind Fields, or would that cause too much controversy. Similar to when the Chargers had Rivers behind Brees. 

If I took any QB at #1 it would be Daniels. However, I am sure Poles is going to get some mighty interesting offers for the #1 pick. There are so many teams, far more than I can remember of recent, that are in desperate need of a QB. I suspect the competition will be to the Bears' favor.

2 hours ago, 50england50 said:

If no one offers a reasonable package for the number 1 pick would anyone take Williams and have him sit behind Fields, or would that cause too much controversy. Similar to when the Chargers had Rivers behind Brees. 

This year we get a better package than last year, higher rated QBs and more teams in need.

Bidding starts at 3 firsts and a future 2nd. Or 2 first and an established player.  The best haul will be from a team in the 5-10 range. Regardless of MHJ, I am making that trade down to 5-10.  Coming away with Bowers and Coleman, Oduzne, or Nabers would be ideal. If we get lucky and AZ wants MHJ bad we could get both of their picks this year and go Bowers and Coleman, Oduzne, or Nabers then Newton or the Chop, Late, Verse, or a sliding Turner.  Another route is to trade the lowest of the three first rounders with a team like Philly that doesn't need a lot of pieces and snag 30 and 44ish then taking the top rated Center at the bottom of the first and our free safety of the future in the second. 

Washington and AZ our our ideal partners but ATL, LV, and TB will probably come calling. Even teams like Detroit who has a ton of picks this year might want to come alll the way up to one for their future qb.

Poles can finish off the rebuild with this draft and the next if he trades out of one.

6 hours ago, 50england50 said:

I just don't like Williams that much.  I'm not sure why all the hype surrounds him as a generational player but I'm glad it's exists.  That doesn't mean he's not a really good QB but I don't know how rapidly he'll learn the NFL game, and I question his leadership.  If you want the most secure pick of a Pro Bowl player  you just take either MHJr, Alt, or Fashanu.  Alt and Fashanu both have positional value at the top of the draft.   

6 hours ago, killakrzydav said:

Another route is to trade the lowest of the three first rounders with a team like Philly that doesn't need a lot of pieces and snag 30 and 44ish then taking the top rated Center at the bottom of the first and our free safety of the future in the second.

This is the right kind of thinking.

9 hours ago, Pixote said:

If I took any QB at #1 it would be Daniels.

We can probably pick up Daniels a little lower than #1, get something for the trouble. But your point that you dont want Williams is sounding right to me right now.

I can say this - assuming Williams doesnt end up a Bear, after all the things hes said and done, i will passionately root against him for his entire career.